P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Sorequads said:
    Good luck with the hip exercises Scott and Millsy. What kind are they? I feel I always need more work on my hips!
    The main ones are stretching the hip flexors with variations on a forward lunge, Hip hitches (I think they are called) and also some groin stretches to loosen that up too.

Jools, I wouldn’t panic about the recovery not happening as fast as hoped. London has taken a lot out of many people. Combine that with your spring racing schedule the body is just taking it’s time.
  • Really enjoyed the reports Tom and NE, especially moving through the field, both of you.  

Am I right in thinking only NE and Spoons have PB'd this spring ?

I've been driving round the M25 (or sheepishly standing on the hard shoulder) a bit too much this week for my liking.  By chance, my destination was bang on the Thames Path but with tapering I only afforded myself a few miles up and down it.  

Interesting reading the various upcoming races, I think the thread has almost every distance/discipline covered.  Hope the niggles /flu ease John/SQ/Millsy and the general post mara fatigue goes.

A few people asked about pacing for the TP100.  Being flat the temptation is to run until blow up ! I'll try to take walk breaks at the aid stations, with more frequent walk breaks later on.  Some people swear by variations of 9min run 1 min walk but I dont think I could do that from the start.  FWIW - having run 20:16 last year I'd love to break 20hrs
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Best of luck macca, it’s a massive achievement just to finish so cracking 20 hours would be amazing and I think you do it solo as well? Looking forward to hearing about it. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Macca: good luck for the TP100. I'm sure you'll smash it as you're an old hand at these 100 milers now! I'll definitely need some advice on pacing and racing for the NDW100 in August but at the moment I'm just getting back into a routine after London.

I've been in Rome this week for the Champions League semi final so I've not run as much as I'd have liked as my legs have recovered quickly after London. Was nice to run around the Vatican and the Tiber. I did a Mona Fartlek at club training on Monday and was able to keep up fairly well. I've signed up for a 10km at the Olympic Park next Wednesday so will probably run as an LT run rather than a flat out effort.
  • Starting to do some exercises from this website: https://www.skyflohealth.com/hip-internal-rotation/ or https://www.skyflohealth.com/hip-external-rotation/

Your picking up the miles quickly Jools

Pleased to hear the HR is returning to normal Spoons

I wouldn't bet against you breaking sub 20 Macca. Guess there's no 'right' way to approach it just got to find what works for you

Sure you enjoyed your trip Alan, good luck to Liverpool in the final

Easy 30 this evening with 6 x grass strides. Nothing tomorrow as have a full day of golf, watching wycombe's last game of the season then out in the evening to watch Haye v Bellew. Sunday will be a longer run depending on the hangover

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Macca-hope you break the 20hrs!
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Scott: Rome was amazing - the football, the food, the wine, the city! Now onto Kyiv. Sounds like a great day from start to finish for you today! Enjoy. 

Did a trail marathon up to Winchester and back in 3:59 this morning including a poo stop. It’s a very flat route but a decent run to get back into the swing of ultra training. I’m aiming to do RTTK in sub 10 this year (last year was 10:56 but I injured my knee after 10 miles and that slowed me down). If I want to do the NDW100 in 24hrs I need to be going through halfway in 10 hours so a sub 10 55 miler would be a good indicator for that. 
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Good luck for tomorrow Macca!
  • Macca at mile 20ish. Looking great but it’s blooming hot out here! 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Looking good Macca! Thanks for the pic Joe
    Shit - mixed it up when Macca is running.  I hope he is doing well.  Nice pic Joe thanks.

Nice trail mara AWC.

Need to read back a bit over the last couple of pages and have a browse around on strava too.

Hill race for me yesterday evening - 5 miles with around 1450 feet of ascending in 50:16.  Some tough climbs but also some swift short flats and mild descents.  Missed out on a PB by around 8 seconds according to my chip time - watch had it a bit quicker but the chip time counts.  Nice little outing.  Bit of DOMS today from run-walking back down to the race HQ as the shuttle was packed and I didn't want to wait for the next one. 
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Hazel, sounds like a tough course. Well done.

Macca seems to be going well. From what I’ve heard about that event it’s the lack of hills that are the issue.

had my first bash at parkrun for a while, this morning. Found a couple,of similarly paced club mates who were also finding their legs after London. We all went of stupidly quick with a 5:36 mile (my fastest of the year) Managed to keep the next 2 below 6 to grab a 20 second course PB (18:15) and finish 3rd. Not bad for my fists speed session since early March. Don’t think my legs will thank me in the morning.

Wife is out tonight so I’m going to watch match of the day and track ultra runners. Very rock and roll!!
  • Thanks for the kind words folks and many thanks to Joe & Katie for the encouragement on route, really appreciated.  Didn’t quite make the sub 20hr but more importantly finished in one piece.  As Joe alluded to, the heat was brutal.  I’m made up with the finish placing, 16th, which is well beyond my ability and down to the attrition rate, but I’ll take it.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Macca. I'd just checked the tracker & figured that you'd be happy enough with that finish position to make up for the slight disappointment of not achieving your target. I guess Paris & London both being so hot was a blessing in disguise as it prepared you for yesterday.
    Top parkrunning Millsy, guess the calf was feeling fine yesterday & as you did an evening RR still was afterwards. 
    Good to hear your running's going well Hazel.
    Was that just a long training run AWC or an actual event?
    I continued my parkrun streak with a 10th consecutive First Timer: Rogiet in19:48 for 5th. Was in 2nd til start of the 3rd & final lap but once the guy who'd been on my shoulder for the previous 2 went past I relaxed. Let the next 2 go without a fight, checked my watch at 4K & realised I'd be inside 20 minutes anyway so decided to save a bit for today's 5,000m.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭
    Epic stuff Macca-Well done. Must have been absolutely brutal in that heat! I was struggling at the end of my run this morning because it was quite warm and I only did a mere 17 miles. Really don't know how you do it!
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Millsy and especially Macca... must have been REALLY tough in that heat.

Glad you enjoyed the footy AWC - really glad you made the final and hope you go on to win it.

Only two football matches matter today - great that we still have a long shot on the final day.  Come on Barnsley!
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Top 100 ultrarunning from Macca. Moving up from 29 th at half way to finish 14th. Anything top 20 is a very good placing at a Centurion event. Lots of drop-outs too so wouldn’t worry about the time.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I still can't get my head round 100 miles of running. Well done Macca.
    Excellent macca - well done. 
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Well done Macca - superb ultra from you again in that heat. That’s a superb placing as well!

Jools: yeah it was just a training run on my own. Got my first ultra in 6 weeks so need to up the mileage quickly. It’s a 55 miler and I’m aiming for sub10

Millsy- nice parkrun. 
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Said it once already Macca... but having how run in this heat for a tiny fraction of a hundred miles, I have even more respect!
    Nice park run tourism Jools.
    Fast 5 miler for that course Hazel..  do you have a marathon coming up?

A pretty taxing, undulating, hot, trail 10K at Devauden races today - only my second post-marathon run.  Happy it was hot as it was good acclimatisation for upcoming challenges.  Thought I ran well, but hoped to go sub 50 based on 52.26 when I last did the race in 2013 (I think it was pretty warm that day too).  As it was, I was 50:29 but as the 6th placed over-50 male, it must have been ok.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That's a solid solo effort AWC.
    Got to be happy with that NE: 2 min PB B) 25.7 C in Usk today out of the sun apparently.
    Chapeau well & truly doffed Macca after trying to run in that heat today.
    Struggled through 20M along the Wye but even keeping the pace ridiculously low my HR creep was inescapable. Stopped in the shade for 5-6 minutes at 18 & contemplated walking back but then got going again. Setting off at 10:20am on the hottest day of the year was probably foolish in hindsight. I'd set off with a 500ml bottle of water with a Zero electrolyte tab in too & refilled it twice with water but still suffered every time I left the shade.  Not sure if it was heat acclimatisation or heat stroke by the end.
    Track & Field yesterday didn't help: officiating Javelin from 1-2pm then running a 5,000m at 4. Did a PB stride into a sandpit, put a shot & PW 800m as a wu then chucked a discus for the 1st time in 35yrs as a cd  :D Managed to just scrape over 50M for the week. Hoping for c.80M this week then taper for Dorchester Marathon on the 27th. Aim is to get round in a comfortable GFA time. A goal is 3:05 but I'll re-assess with the weather OTD.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    A classic Jools weekend, for a minute there, I thought you'd chucked the discus 50 metres!

Great effort on the 20 miler in that heat.

I did a sprint triathlon with a swimming pool 400m, 20km bike and 4.25km run. The run was short due to a new housing estate being built.

I felt like I struggled on the bike and run but somehow managed to win the race and a £600 leisure centre membership for a leisure centre that's 30 minutes for my house!
  • runspoonrunrunspoonrun ✭✭✭

Great long run AWC.

Nice racing Hazel and NE.

Congrats on the PB Millsy.

Amazing work Macca, must have been hard work in the heat. Like Reg I struggle to comprehend running 100 miles. 

Quiet weekend for you Jooligan :D

Congrats on the win Reg, great stuff.

My legs slowly coming back to me, and my heart rate is slowly coming down to more normal levels. Nice to see some progress, and will be trying to get some proper training in this week. I really loved the sunny weather over the weekend, managed to get out early enough on Sunday to enjoy it before it got too toasty!

• No problem at all Macca, we really enjoyed being out supporting. As mentioned on strava, fantastic performance. Certainly fuelled the fire and made me even more interested in the world of ultra.

Nice 10km NE; must have been pretty toasty. An improvement on last year and I'm sure the marathon will still be in your legs. 

Jools - business as normal then  :dizzy:

Reg - great result! Was it a close race? when's the next race in the diary?

Different story for my sprint triathlon yesterday. I originally placed 10th (which I was vaguely happy with, but not brilliant), before looking at the results an hour later at home and finding out I'd been disqualified. Haha. No idea why, it might even be a case of mistaken identity, I'm chatting to the race director via e-mail at the moment.

The short story is mediocre swim, pretty decent bike ride, and average run. Work to do. 
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Macca - Brilliant as always, sounds like the heat affected loads. Think I saw it was 40% DNF rate?
    AWC - Great training marathon.
    NE - Nice 10k!
    Reg - Congrats on the win!
    Jools - Standard weekend for you :)
    Millsy - Nice Parkrun PB!!

17 miles for me on Saturday at 8:01s average, felt good and didn't push the pace. Mowed the grass in the afternoon as perfect preperation for a 10k on Sunday D
    Birmingham 10k, my 4th time of running this (I think), but I'd decided not to taper for the race and just run it as part of ultra training off the back of 3*60 mile weeks!!
    Decided I'd try PB pace to see how that felt, but wasn't sure how my legs would feel after 17 miles yesterday or how the heat would affect the pace! Anyway first mile in 6:08, which was around where I wanted, but felt tough already due to the heat, my legs actually were not too bad. So slowed after that first mile and ran between 6:20-6:28 (approx. HM pace) for the rest of the race. Through 5k in 19:31 and finished in 39:26 (second 5k in 19:55).
    Spotted the male winner after crossing the line, so shook his hand and said well done! Collected medal/water and went straight into a cool down run (3 miles) to finish the week on 50 miles.
    Think I might stick some more speedwork in my training this/next week during taper as the miles start to reduce.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Disqualified Joe? Was it for nudity in transition? I think you're being hard on yourself re that run split, looks pretty decent to me. Next race might be another sprint at Dorney, did it last year and came second so it would be nice to go one better and get back to back pot hunts.

Good news re the legs Spoons and nice LR/10k Steve.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Joe: disqualified?! Hope you get that sorted.

Steve: great 10km after 60 mile training weeks and no taper. Not long till your ultra now?

Reg: nice job on the win and the prize as well wasn't bad!

Jools: decent 20mi and track and field performance - not surprised you're branching out :D

Hill session last night - 3 times up a large hill close to my house. thought I had equalled Scott's 2:08 for the hill on the Strava segment only to find out he'd run 1:54 in the last few days :) Well done sir!
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Sounds good Millsy. I certainly use hip hitches before a run when I’m sorting out which podcast to listen to or waiting for GPS/HR. Hope they work for you. And a great parkrun – well done. Thanks for the links, Scott. I think some of the band work is brilliant. Although I do keep breaking the school ones…

Casual sub4 with a poo stop, AWC. Nice work! Impressive hill session so soon after as well.

Nothing like a long descent for the DOMS. Nice hill racing, Hazel.

Amazing work, Macca. The heat of VLm added 10 minutes for me so god only knows what a hotter day must do for a 100M. Incredible perseverance and determination – very well done.

Good racing NE, SteveMac and Jooligan. Love a summer smash up. I’m keen for some track racing in July if possible.

Reg that is a great prize! Brilliant racing and must have felt a useful sharpener as well.

Absolutely loved the heat of the weekend and all the eating, drinking and relaxing that went with it. Friday morning saw a return to the Three Hills of Cleeve challenge I have banged on about before. Three roads climbs totalling 1500ft of climbing in 9M. The final road pushes 30% at its steepest and it really is all I can do not to walk. I was gobsmacked to have run a personal best for the segment (42 minutes from the bottom of the first to the top of the third hill) and so I suppose London training has left me in good shape.

Ran my 99th parkrun on Saturday, jogging round with the buggy before heading to the lido. Very sadly it was announced on Sunday that one of the core team died in his sleep. He was a bloody good bloke and great athlete. He will be missed. 

We are so lucky in that the tri club get in the lido an hour before the masses. Pool to ourselves, and then access to the kids pool the second it opens. We left after a couple of hours and the queues were insane – I definitely wouldn’t have the patience for that.

Got out early Sunday and had a whale of a time seeing loads of baby animals in the countryside. Recovery double yesterday and a bit more lido-bliss before an easy 10M on the canal this morning. Eagerly awaiting a spoons led 16 x 100m tomorrow. A far cry of the 16M mixed pace tempos of a couple of months ago!

• JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Some great racing going on already, I guess one of the few benefits of a tough day at VLM is you don’t take as much of a beating. Well done Reg, Joe (tough luck on the dq, hopefully just an error), Hazel, jools, macca, millsy, stevemac, NE and great training AWC and SQ. 

Hats off to those racing in the hot weather, milton keynes sounds like it was even worse than VLM. 

We’re going the other way down under with the “big chill” leading to a plunge in temps at the weekend to....14C. Still sunny so should be perfect for a fast parkrun attempt. Finally got back into it last week, with an 18:50 parkrun and over 3 hours on trails. That’s about all the prep I’m going to do so back to tapering for my 100k next weekend!