My Last Run

Comments

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Cal, I hope it  clears up soon
    Great running from Hazel, Andrea, JT
    And a nod to the every present streaker swit and streaking wannabe Will
    I've had a few very gentle runs this week, including 3.7 miles for the guy who died at VLM last weekend. 
    Still feeling pretty wiped out although my legs are back to normal.  Also still feeling low / disappointed. I guess that's standard after a marathon though, even one that's gone well.  I think it will help if I get back to some proper running next week
  • 11.15 miles done this evening. Averaging 8.17min/mi pace. Mostly at endurance pace with 20 minutes at tempo pace ( which was unnecessary) Feeling properly strong for the first time in years so mustn't let it go to my head. Have increased my weekly milage to 39 which I will hold for a month then go up to 41. Dreading the inevitable doubles, but they have to be done if I am ever going to get to 50 miles a week and over....
  • Nice running, Stephen - impressive mileage and pace.
    Hazelnut, Nessie and Andrea all back on the frontline and doing good things. 
    JT, hope you still manage some swearing and nihilism - always good fun.
    Shingles on the bum, Cal - nasty and in no way something I would snigger at. Hope it bottoms out soon.

For me the streak stopped at 4 days and most of the weekend has been spent holed up with my two hooligans in a rainy and miserable Norfolk. Mrs Will was off schmoozing in London and so all manner of routines have been broken and left ruined and in the metaphorical gutter. We did get out for Nye's 27th Junior Parkrun and post-run cafe indulgence and then it was back home for more Wii and YouTube. A 4 mile trot this evening after far too many of my Mum's roasties and second helpings of my Dad's rhubarb crumble was an almost sedentary affair.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • An unexpected day off and so I finally got time to fit in a LSR. Heavens were open for the whole run and some big gusts to help/hinder my progress. I like it like that sometimes - runner versus elements. 14.5 miles in 2:22, so a nice bit of prep and good to feel the slog-joy again!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • My last run was an attempt at 5k just to keep fit, some teenage boys outside the local shop were chanting at me about my weight and it put me off. Haven't been since. Going for a run tonight and I don't care! I've signed up for a 5k fun run (Pizza Run 5k in Manchester) and I'm getting back into this come hell or high water!
    "it does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop"
  • Don't let small minded people put you off! I quite often run past school kids but I have my music on so I can hear what they say! 

Yesterday was 3 slow miles. Today was 1 mile warm up followed by 3 x1km speed repeats with 90 seconds recovery in between.

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your shingles Cal.  I hope it improves quickly.  

Bad luck on the pr timing Andrea.  

Nice long run JT.  

Nessie I would agree with the feeling down a bit after even a good mara I think its because that which you have focused on so much in the last months suddenly isn't there anymore.      

Nice mileage Stephen.

Good prerun food Will and a great long run.

Resurrect ignore them - you were out there doing something for your health and they weren't (probably filling their faces with crisps and choc?).

I had an unusual 2 days off of running on Sunday and Monday as I was enjoying a long weekend doing other things and finally did my postponed long run yesterday.  18.7 miles in 2:48.  Good confidence booster.   
  • Great Long run Hazel!

Hope you had a good run resurrect.

Today was 3 slow miles. My legs felt heavy this morning as I did a boogie bounce class last night and I'd done speed repeats in the morning.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Good long miles Hazel and Will. Got my bike fixed(ish) and hair cut today, then went for a run. 11.1miles in over 1hr21. Pretty windy and sun and hailstones. Heavy traffic on normally empty back roads so don't know what was going on. Kept getting a stitch under my rib, so bad latterly I had to stop twice and massage the biting pain away. That was untypical.
    The last week I have been angry and miserable, fine tuned to react badly to problems trivial or otherwise. I think I have a grumpy cycle. Anyway the neighbour's cat is asleep on my lap, dreaming and twitching and smelling like a foul bastard.
  • After an exhausting day teaching some really little ones, I nipped out for 4.5 miles in 39 mins. Left leg felt half asleep, a hangover from my long run I think. Apart from that I'm happy with my form. As twilight fell I went from one Blackbird territory to another. Great songsters.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Its late and have been on my feet all day
    I ran 10k in 49 minutes this morning and 5.01 miles in 39 yesterday 
    Yesterday was mostly tempo, today it was more evenly split erring on the side of endurance. I have revised this months milage to 38 not 39 miles a week. Never break the 10% rule even by 1 mile. The running gods will eff you up.
    Tomorrow I rest and make sacrifice to the running gods in the form of wine and meat based snacks. 
    Hail Dry-Fit
    Nice to hear the cat is still paying you visits JT.

Pre breakfast 5 and a bit miles recovery today.  Legs tired from Tuesday's long run and slept badly last night so it took me about 3 miles to get into it but I felt better at the end than at the beginning.  Dull grey day with misty rain - could have done with windscreenwipers for my glasses.   Last week's masses of yellow dandelions have already withered to seedheads.    The frogs were busy in the swampy bit - lots of croaking going on.  Birdspot - one buzzard.

Hill race tomorrow which I'm looking forward to.
  • Good running Will, Stephen & Hazel!

I am definitely having a dip in motivation this week. 

Plan says Kenyan hill repeats which i’ve not done before. I will have to wait until tonight when Husband gets back.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Cal, you OK?
    Andrea, those Kenyan hills sound crap! Let us know how it goes?
    Great paced runs Stephen and Will
    Hazel, hill race sounds demanding :-)
    JT, I am definitely a cat person. I have a love / hate relationship with mine. Love to moan about them, can't get enough of them, they're great.
    Me- Tuesday was back to the 6 am session, didn't attempt anything speedy, just did 6 miles.
    Yesterday was a speedier club run through the forest, which was very mucky and great.
    Today a progression 4 miles in my lunchbreak.
    Feeling a bit better!

• I can’t tell you Nessie, just as I suspected, I feel too tired and just don’t feel like doing it now. Husband has a friend round, so I just need to get the eldest child in bed and then i’m going to have a bubble bath and an early night with a podcast.

There is a possibility I could set the alarm early and do it in the morning. Then I have volunteered to help with 60 children between 5 &7 on a school trip!
  • Want to help a PhD student out? Current or former athletes with eating and/or exercise concerns needed for study. Participation includes an online interview, and reimbursments are available. If interested, please email: S.S.Sandgren@lboro.ac.uk.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nessie - I'm improving. Felt more energetic today. I've got two more days on the tablets but I might try a gentle run tomorrow if I feel good. The rash will take time to go - fortunately it's a pretty tiny patch. I think it does explain why I had an achey lower back on a couple of runs, though.
    Kenyan hills sound horrible - just Googled it. Streatham Common would be a good place to try that (I won't be trying it until the summer after I've recovered - can't afford to redline my heart at this point!)
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Kenyan hills sounds interesting. Hope you're better soon Cal.
    10.1miles tonight in under 1hr16. Weather is better. Feel calmer for having run as a balm on today's menu of prickling anxiety. It's a not insubstantial cost to not be climbing the walls. There were bunnies and noisey phone users.
    Gave the neighbour's cat a leg of chicken which he gnawed to the bone despite a lack of teeth.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Good going, all.  Been rather preoccupied in recent days.  4 warm miles, beach & trail.  Met a magnificent Malamut and gave away a tennis ball I'd found.

The Streakers' Streaker is taking on a huge challenge - read Ron Hill's story & plans here:

https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/motivation/olympian-and-top-marathon-runner-ron-hill-reveals-dementia-diagnosis
  • Hill repeats are fun. Speed work without a track. I have three places near me I use all in the same park which is handy. More slopes than hills but of varying degree and length. A tip don't start too fast. Build up until you can hold the pace consistantly then stop when the pace drops off due to fatigue as then the benefit as stopped. Remember to do at least a 10 minute easy run as warm up  and cool down as well as some dynamic stretches before you start.This is meant to be a quality work out. I blew out both hamstrings doing speed work without warming up and it took along time for them to get better. Hill work can put the same strain on your hams. Follow the next day with a short recovery run or rest day.
  • This evening 7 miles at 8 min/mi pace. 7 miles endurance pace, 1 mile at tempo as I was showing off....pathetic...still the splits where quite even which makes a change. Niggly knee but what can you do....well except not show off when your meant to be doing an easy paced run I suppose....
  • ....hello?...where is everyone?
    At them parkruns no doubt
    This morning 4 and a bit miles run, to keep the legs ticking over
    Tomorrow there is more.
    Met a man upon the run who doing 3 marathons next week. I alerted him to the madness of such a venture. He started babbling about the joys of trail running. All I could think of was ankles down rabbit holes and badger attacks...I didn't point this out...he will find out the evils of running in the 'country'
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Still here, Stephen! Blimey, you've been getting amongst it - top effort.

Good to hear from Swittle again. I trust the streak is still alive and well?

A fast tenner there, JT and good anxiety busting.

Hope you keep getting better, Cal.

All the best to everyone else :)

Well, I had been having a wee confidence crisis due to my erratic training mileage and some general aches and lethargy. All else in life is actually going nicely so was puzzled by my dip in MoJo. I decided to have 2 full days of rest before doing Parkrun today and did some rolling and stretching. I had a 2.5 mile relaxed jog to the venue and then decided to not hammer it as I have my 18 miler next week. So, I didn't really look at the watch, just chose my few runners to follow/chase/pass. I was chuffed to overtake numerous people on both the tough hill climbs. I feel this could be my area of expertise - it's all about my 'fairy steps' technique, oh and maybe the fact that I was born in Kenya. Anyway, I finished in 24:43, a new course PB by 1 min 25 sec and didn't even feel like I pushed it. Weird.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I am getting better! I finish my pills today. I didn't attempt a run yesterday as I had insomnia the night before (nothing to do with the shingles) but I have popped out this evening for a very gentle two miler just to get some blood into my joints. After no running and no yoga for a week I'm stiff and a bit sore, but I don't feel too bad otherwise.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    A run in two parts and first nettle stings of the year. Properly warm day. 7.1 offroad miles past a rowing regatta on the Ouse and a few fields of steely nerved sheep. Stopped at the churchyard where my grandparents are (they didn't say much) and tidied up the grave. It would have been my grandpa's birthday tomorrow. 6.8miles back home. Passed a girl in very skimpy bum crease exposing shorts. Marvellous. Made up for the exposed flesh of men inexplicably comfortable with their bodies. Sunny day, aesthetic swings and roundabouts.
    That's quite a jump in you Parkrun time Will. The rest served you well.
    Sounds like you had a couple of good runs JT.

Good to hear you are feeling better Nessie and are out enjoying the mucky forest again.

Everything ok I hope swittle?  Must catch up on the Ron Hill story.

I am also not sure about 3 maras in a week Stephen but I do love my trails.

Nice PB Will.  

Great to hear you are feeling better as well Cal.  

Hill race for me yesterday evening - 5 miles with around 1450 feet of ascending in 50:16.  Just 8 seconds off of getting a new course PB - according to my watch I dipped under but I guess it is the chip time that counts.  Tough little race with some steep climbs on partly tree root infested tracks but I ran the lot.  The cowbell shakers (Swiss tradition) at 2 miles were doing their stuff and never fail to produce a big grin.  Some fast short descents to mix things up.   I started a bit too far back in the field of 400 + and got caught up a bit in congestion but it is good to consistently be overtaking rather than be overtaken.   Nice little outing with some friends.  A bit of DOMS today as I also ran - walked back down to the start / race HQ as the shuttle bus was ridiculously full and it was a fine evening.  There was even enough hot water in the showers ;)   Finisher goody -  crispy loaf of bread.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Terrific job, Hazelnut - those Swiss races sound fun.

Up and at 'em for a 4 miler today. Blue skies, very warm even at 8am. Went very slowly. Can't rev the engine just yet. TFL was grouchy so I elected not to run further, even though I felt up to it. I think all the sitting on my bum for a week has made everything stiff and grumpy. Normally I do yoga when I can't run, but the kind I do is hot and can be strenuous so that wasn't allowed. Couldn't even roll myself as shingles makes you hyper-sensitive (even though the actual patch is small). So right now, I'm like a block of concrete.
  • Stephen E FordeStephen E Forde ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    11 miles at 7:26 min/mi. 
    It felt good
  • Oh I missed that you’d been unwell Cal. Glad you’re feeling better.

Great PB Will! Good running Hazel! Stephen, that’s speedy for a long run.

Parkrun yesterday. My trainingmotivation was lacking last week and it showed yesterday. I went off far too quick, first mile was 7:15 and it slowed from there. I ended up with 24 flat. This morning was 6 slow miles, a little rest and then I did the hill session I was talking about- the hill was quite a tame one though!

It felt hard but not too hard which means I probably didn’t do it right ?
  • Stephen E FordeStephen E Forde ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Andrea it was comfortably hard nothing more. I kept it mostly flat and in the shade.
    Parkrun, then recovery then hill repeats is not a good combination. 
    Your pace in the parkrun was 7:43 min/mi. That should have been followed by this mornings recovery run only. The hill repeats should have been saved for Monday or after your next rest day or easy run day.
    The parkrun though not a race is still a stamina work out and your body needs to recovery. To then do hills which are speed work in disguise is taxing.
    The reason I could do the run I did today was because yesterdays run was short and slow. Tomorrows will be short and slow as well because of todays run.
    You improve as a runner incrementally. Sometimes a runners best friend is the sofa.