Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    A successful weekend, oo. good stuff.

good luck Badbark.

nice start to the week, Gul.

Stevie, did you not run the brum 10k? Everyone complaining about the heat, however the forecast has it no warmer than London was. 

I was visiting family in Dorset over the weekend. Managed a 5 mile run Sunday morning. I feel a little battered today which is a mix of sleeping on a sofa bed and an unanticipated game of beach football Saturday. just a spin class planned later on today. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    DT - I decided against it as I'm doing Stratford Half next week. I also knew I had a fairly busy weekend socially which would not be conducive to running! I did half regret the decision as its a good race with great support.
  • Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    Hello all, starting my 3.15 journey. Did 3.29 at Brighton and have Richmond marathon in September to aim at.

Haven't picked a plan yet. Going to do Tuesday and Thursday at my club then a long run at weekends, probably with as many miles at 7 minute/mile as possible interspersed.

First step however is staines 10k next sunday where I hope to go sub 40 for the first time.

Having only done Brighton a little time ago I'm unsure how to reintroduce long runs. I feel strong on the runs I've done and feel starting new plan from scratch seems unnecessary.

Regards
    Richard
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Stevie, yes sounds sensible. I don't like big city 10k races from my own previous experience. However from what I saw from yesterday it looked a good day. 

Hi Richard! You shouldn't need to start from the beginning however you need to to be slightly careful as if you start 16 weeks out and do so 4 weeks into a schedule you will be walking straight into some big sessions without progression and will also spend more time training quite hard. I tend to start the schedule as planned but ignore long run distance build up and go straight in with about 17. Though in between schedules my standard long run is 15 anyway. 

Perhaps if you pick a more advanced schedule you'll find starting from scratch is ok as they tend to assume you can run 15 miles and so build to 20 quickly. 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - splendid 21 & 18 there - take it the temperature was was pretty acceptable at the time you were out this morning?  

Leslie - good parkracing  . . .    

OO - excellent performance in the heat - I was supporting at a local 10K yesterday, which had an 11:15 start time, and it was hot enough just to spectate  . . .  congrats on the Category win B)     

was sad to read this today
    https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/training/motivation/olympian-and-top-marathon-runner-ron-hill-reveals-dementia-diagnosis

had the privilege of meeting Ron - he and his wife joined a club trip to the Reims Marathon weekend in 1995 - Ron ran the 10K beforehand, then was out on the course supporting we "lesser mortals" in the marathon.  A lovely man.  

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    ps - hope Badbark going / gone well  . . .   
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Lots going on on the thread - belated happy birthday to Poacher.

First run since London today; now that the toes are better I need to not slip into laziness - a slow 7 miles of hills and some trail bits. Good to get back out there and a lovely day for it.

Welcome Richard & good luck with the Staines 10k.

Congrats OO and good luck at the half next weekend Stevie.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    I went through half way in 1:27 feeling great so pushed on. I finished the Belfast Marathon in about 2:53:10 for my course PB by about 3 mins. It just goes to show tapering, carbo loading and all the other nonsense is overrated! :) Now I'm off to Spain to party hard!
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the decent course PB Badbark - you're  a machine.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Incredible run Badbark I'm not sure your tactics would work for us mortals!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    incredible stuff, Badbark. 

just seen on web sadly someone died there today. 

an impromptu treadmill session earlier. 4 x 1km off 2 minutes at about 5k pace. 
  • Just a quick dip in to say congrats to Badbark for yet another cracking performance - as you say, all this tapering theory is clearly overrated. Enjoy Spain!!

Welcome Richard2 - how was your build up to Brighton and how did the race go. 15 mins improvement in 6 months is quite a big ask, but not necessarily impossible.

Nice age category victory OO in an impressive time given the heat.

How's the recovery going GM - any pictures of the injuries?

Anyway, just to report that younger Lorenzito and I successfully managed to do our Westminster 2 York Minster ride over the weekend. Ideal conditions - warm, but not too warm, no wind apart from a slight headwind as we headed through north Lincolnshire and up into the East Riding, so it really couldn't have gone better.

The two of us did 140 undulating miles on Day 1 from London to friends near Grantham and then 100 very flat (total 1,000 ft of climbing over the entire 100 miles!) miles up to York on day 2 together with said friends.

So I've got one very pleased son who's managed to raise £1,000+ on the back of this as part of a team fundraising effort for Build Africa, while it "2 down, 3 to go" for me in my Summer of Madness campaign!

Managed to add on an extra 14 miles yesterday evening to finish up at my in-laws and give me just over 350 bike miles for the week, followed by a gentle 3 mile recovery run this morning before heading back down south.

Happy days! :)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - well done on the top 20 finish.
    Richard - welcome to the thread. Maybe worth cutting back on the long run distance for a couple of weeks.
    Birch - yes, sad to hear about Ron. It was nice and cool at silly o'clock this weekend. Mrs GD sounds quite positive about the Rother Valley marathon. The website says it's flat, but I suspect S.Yorks flat is a bit different from Norfolk flat! Have you been there?
    nick - always good to hit the road again.
    Badbark - yet another amazing performance. I tend to agree about the taper and carb-loading! Enjoy Spain.
    Lorenzo - excellent weekend by the sound of it. Pleased it went so well.
    9 miles this morning with 15 x 400m tempo intervals and then 5 mile recovery run to work.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Richard. 3:15 Mara plans are made here on this thread. Share your background and I’m sure all will chip in.
    BB amazing as usual- you seem to be getting quicker! Conditions looked pretty tough yesterday- did you suffer?
    I’ve stayed on in Keswick to continue the fun. Sad to see a Bob Graham runner has died during his attempt.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - yes, I was there the other week with my daughter - we did a loop at the start & finish of our 15 miler, with 9 up and back along the nearby trail inbetween.   Its pretty much the Rother Valley parkrun course, I believe , and yes, even by S.Yorks standards, it is flat  
    http://www.parkrun.org.uk/rothervalley/course/ 

Great work by you and junior, Lorenzo - congrats on the physical endeavours, and the fundraising . . .    

not much going on here, running-wise - just 20 last week  . . .   
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - You were not feeling confident going into the two races but you produced two excellent back to back performances. Great 5k track time and that half looks so tough! I saw the splits and elevation on your Strava, looks like a very tough one! That's sad news re the BGR runner. :'(

Badbark - Excellent marathon, you must have been cruising to get a negative split. Enjoy Espana, I'm not envious at all. ;)

Lorenzo - Well done to you both, sounds like a great weekend. Recovery is going very well thanks. I tend to heal very quickly, especially my skin. Hah, I'll spare you the gorey detail and not post photos. It's just a few cuts, bruises and grazes, nothing too major.

Nicko - A great weekend to get back on the road.

DT - How come your running on the treadmill?

Stevie - Saving a few matches for the half, very sensible. Any time goal in mind?

Birch - I too saw that news and I thought of you as I know you are very fond of the great man. Very sad.

Well what a weekend that was. Probs one of the nicest bank holiday's ever. Sunny and hot from Sat right through to yesterday with temps about 27c. Perfect weather and spent most of it on the beach, lighting fires, cooking food and I even swam in the sea! It was too nice outside not to but boy was it brrr!

Running wise I wish I could post equally positive things but I had a bad race on Sunday. Rested Friday and Saturday and felt great at the start and was hoping for a big performance. I ran 66 mins on the course last year in brutal wintery conditions. It's a tough course with the first 3k along the west coast road and then up and out along the coastal trail cliff path then a bit of a climb up a very steep hill that kills the lungs and out onto the off road trail section which is about 7k, the first 4k being a gradual ascent and then down hill back to sea level for about 3k. Then it's about 5k along the south coast prom where I do most of my lunch running.  So here's what happened.

The plan was to hold 4 min km pace and just run easy up the really hilly bits and hit it hard from about 9k on the downhill and maintain 4 min k's along the sea front. That was the plan but boy did it not go to plan. The first 3k came and went and was holding about 4:02 min km pace with no issues whatsoever, felt very easy actually. The coastal cliff path bit is really tricky with lots of loose rocks and given my recent mishaps I didn't want to have another accident so I took it very carefully. Quite a few runners ahead of me had gone off at what seemed a silly pace but I was doing my own thing languishing in about 8th. I got to about 5k along the trail path and started to feel like my legs were working way too hard. I've honestly no idea what happened but it was not enjoyable and I was slowing down and counting the k's from there which is not a good place to be. I was telling myself it was a small rough patch but I was struggling big time even before halfway. One chap went past me at about 6k but I kept him in range. We swapped places about 4 times and I put in a hard effort down the hill to get a small gap on him. He came back as we hit the sea front and we were no running side by side with about 2 runners up ahead with a 100m gap. I actually felt ok now so I said to him ok lets work together and get those two. I put in a hard effort for about 3 mins but nothing silly about 3:57km pace and the guy was with me. He started to move ahead slightly and from there I totally imploded. My legs gave up the ghost big time and still had 4k to go. It was horrible and I could barely manage 4:15 per k now and slowed to about 4:18 avg for the last 3. I crawled over the line in 65:20, the guy who I was with at 5k to go finished in 63:30, so you can see how badly I fell apart. It was a course pb by about 35 seconds but the target was 62:5x and felt that was very achievable based on recent training and performances. After getting 3 pb's in a row  I guess I was due a bad one. I did not enjoy that race at all and have run quicker in training for similar distance, on a positive note I didn't get lost or fall over, so all good.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Unlucky, Gerard but as you suggest, not every race can be a top performance.

If I do proper intervals I always tend to do them on the treadmill. Plus I was at the gym with my family having spent the afternoon at the outdoor pool and planning to go to spin. We just wrapped the family stuff up earlier than planned so I popped upstairs earlier and got it in.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's really unlucky, GM. Weird that there were no signs going into the event that it might be a tad slower. Having said that, it still seems quick for a course like that despite buckled wheels and hot temps. For marathon distance, I've been PB ready for the last three but conditions have thwarted me each time, so in a reverse of your three PB runs, I'm due a good one.

Just a small 4 miler yesterday as the reverse taper continues. 6.51 pace with the hot weather making it feel tougher.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    GM that is still a decent time, no disgrace at all so don’t beat yourself up. My times were both decent but likewise I’m seeing the negatives- I guess it’s what we do.

congrats Lorenzo I’m sure you and junior had a lot of fun.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Gerard - The A goal is sub 1.28, B Goal Sub 1.30 and C is a PB (<1.36). The aim is to go out at 6.40 pace and see how it goes. Thats a great time in the heat and on what sounds a tough course. 

Easy 5k tonight to test the calf, kept my discipline to average 8.11mm. Aerobically felt super easy. Calf felt fine but right hip felt right which probably caused the initial issue.
    Had an extended stretch and foam roll after to try and loosen everything up. Will get back into my daily stretching routine from now on to try and keep the niggles at bay!
  • Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the welcomes and  encouragement, the interweb being a small world turns out that the very suave, refined, international man of mystery G-Dawg and I are club mates - followed him round a gerschler fartlek this evening.

My background is not really a running one, started couch to 5k 7 years ago, did 2 marathons in 2016 (pb 3.51), then was injured most of 2017 and now am just enjoying running.  

My prep for brighton this year wasn't hugely scientific, just lots of miles and club track sessions. Going to try more science this time.  I mismanaged my fuel on the day (only 4 gels) and bonked at about 35k going from 4.50km/min to 5.30 but clung on, so feel there's 4 minutes I can gain by doing that better

I think I'm going to try DT's advice and mid next week will try 15 - will start i think at 4.50km/min and then see how I feel at 5 and 10 potentially trying to get to 4km/min by last 5 miles

Gerard - if that is an off road 10 miler that's still an amazing time, I'm in awe

Badbark - I'm agog at that running

Lorenzo - thanks, yeah it may be a tough ask and aspirational goal all advice gratefully accepted. Raising a grand is no mean feat, well done.

Thanks everyone else, looking forward to ramping up the training again.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - thanks. I must get round to booking that soon then.
    GM - good effort. A shame you couldn't hang on a bit longer, but that's still a good result.
    Stevie - hope the niggles are under control.
    Richard - small world indeed. When a certain PhilipMJones turned up on this thread a number of years ago my suspicions were proved correct when he confirmed that we went to school together even though we hadn't been in touch since leaving many many years ago.
    7.5 and 4.5 slow and easy miles this morning.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    A good track session last night, R2. It was nice to lead the pack with you, the 18 year old whippet doesn't count.  :)

Lorenzo, brilliant experience for you and the lad, well done both.

Watch that hip, Stevie. The pigeon stretch is a good one for opening it up.

Rest day today as have run 3 days in a row and only 4 runs since London. Need to calm down a bit.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Richard - I would be careful about running your long runs at target pace. Save that for race day! The established theory seems to be to keep the long runs slower than target with maybe the last few miles at target pace

G-Dawg - The pigeon stretch is in the repertoire! I was given some hip exercises when I had physio for my left calf last year so I will start those up again as well

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Gerard very decent time in the heat and with injuries too, a few mins to take off in better times.
    Richard welcome onboard , last couple at mara pace is always a good idea.

Reps in the park for me too last night , 12x400m 1:30 or slightly quicker with the wind on the way out and 1:35 into the wind on the way back .

• nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Managed to get a spot in the Hackney Half next weekend; now to try and reverse the damage I've done in the last few weeks with beer, food and laziness.

Will probably only be able to manage about 3 runs before it so doubt it's going to be a record-shattering performance.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - easy does it.
    Stevie - good luck with the stretching.
    Leslie - nice speedwork.
    Nick - good way to motivate yourself!
    8 easy miles early this morning, but no run to work as I had to give Miss GD the younger a lift to school. Might nip out at lunchtime for a quick 3 miler.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Just had an email from Runner's World to say that I have been given the Ancient Membership Badge. Well, thanks for the reminder. Nothing like a bit of encouragement, eh?
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - I almost spat my breakfast out after reading that! :D
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, congratulations on the much desired badge!!

Richard, just to be clear, whilst I am a fan of staying trained to 15 miles, they don't average faster than 7.45 average.

Good luck Sunday Stevie.

I will be running the very hilly local 10k but just to enjoy the event as I am at the cricket all day tomorrow drinking and then its my mates 40th Saturday from 4pm.

I will have had my 3 weeks of being a lazy booze hound by the end of the weekend so time to start returning to a degree of normality. Hoping to get to 30 miles this week following 23 last week. Got the following target races lined up-

10th June- Welsh castles relay leg 18

24th June- Wilmslow half mara

11th July- Droitwich 10k

28th July- Magor 10k

That should keep me motivated.