Wednesday 9th May 2018 - Nobody on the road

Morning.

Lyrics - Nobody on the road

I must admit that wasn't quite what I meant Donaldo.

Hi Ollie.

What:            short and easy
Why:             work stops play
Last hard:     sleeping
Last rest:      4/5

Yesterday's lyrics - Back On The Chain Gang - The Pretenders.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭
    Morning,

LMH: Hope you enjoy the short and easy today.

What: Probably short 'n' easy too.

Lyrics: Nope.
    Have a good day. image
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Thought I had posted an hour ago when LMH pipped me to the post.

Lyrics: no

What: short and easy, in theory

Why: the long road back

Work this morning first.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: either 5ish or 8 ish depending on what legs and work allow followed by physio
    Why: I think I'm marathon training
    Last hard: wakingupw this morning. I think the last few weeks are catching up with me
    Lyrics: nope

Hi Ollie!

Have a lovely day all
  • Work then track this evening
    It will be hard tonight
    Last rest yesterday.
    Lyrics no
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning
    Ollie lovely to see you back.
    SC: Fab photo looking strong and even better news no episode-yay
    Don: Well what can I say....speechless;-)

What: 8.12 miles
    Why: Because I can
    Last hard: past few days
    lyrics: yes

I am so pleased I could go further today but the weather is back to the temps i like 7 degrees;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Sounds a tough session Don!
    What - easy lunchtime, coaching this evening
    Why - recovery/routine
    last rest - 16/04
    last hard - probably yesterday. Club set of 5x800 loops of a hilly circuit (up & down), 150 easy recovery. Not eyeballs out, but averaged around 6:40/mile pace
    lyric - hmmm, don't think so
  • Glen Lyon Ultra

2018 had not been a good year for training with no clearly defined reason. It had been one step forwards, two steps back on a number of occasions. The longest training run had been 17.5 miles and that was 8 days pre-race and had taken about 5 hours.
    Elspeth had also been injured, was not race fit and was feeling she would have to walk it and be timed out.
    Despite all sensible advice, we decided not to pull out of Glen Lyon 31.5 mile Ultra which we had entered late in 2017. On the positive side, we had both done the race in 2013 as its previous incarnation as “ Tigh Nam Bodach” Ultra.
    The run is remote. The route involves numerous river crossings and over 4000’ climb. There is a time cut off at 17 miles at 4h (faster than my only training run of that length this year). The first part around Loch Lyon reservoir is rough and undulating, crossing the dam to return to pass the start/finish line. The route then climbs steeply out of Glen Lyon on a roughly metalled private access road. Once over into Glen Lochay, the route turns on to a track leading 3 miles up the side of the Glen before dropping down to the river. Back down Glen Lochay before reaching bottom of the long hill back over to Glen Lyon dam.
    As usual, our journey was longer than for most, opting to spend Thursday night in a ferry cabin for the 06:30 boat. The ferry got in to Scrabster at 08:00 and I drove on down to Ben Lawers Hotel on the side of Loch Tay. We joined a friend, I., for dinner in Killin along with her non-running husband and two other runners. One of these had done the Highland Fling a week previously.
    An early start on race day, Saturday, for the hour's drive to Glen Lyon along a single track hill road. Easy check-in and said hello to a few friends (running and marshalling). The legendary Ray McCurdy was there.
    Despite the heat wave hitting most of the UK , Glen Lyon was cool, wet and with a significant initial head wind. Waterproof, shorts and two upper layers were the start apparel.
    The first half mile is steeply uphill before the overall contouring but undulating circumnavigation of the loch. Most opted to walk this hill.  Elspeth pushed ahead and I fell to the rear end of the field. Once up the hill, waterproof removed and I settled into a steady run, Ray McCurdy briefly catching up for a chat.
    The first and deepest river crossing came at about 5 miles coming over knee high with a significant current. It was here that Ray apparently had had to curtail his race!
    Continuing over more river crossing  towards the 9 mile checkpoint at the head of the loch, I managed to pass 3 or 4 folk. 
    As I approached the checkpoint I could see a girl walking clad in foil blanket. She managed across the river unaided before reaching the checkpoint. Although I wasn’t aware of the injury at the time , this was the girl who had fallen and broken her upper jaw and teeth. 
    Turning back down the loch, the wind was now on our backs and I made reasonable progress back down the loch, level pegging with another runner and chatting a bit for some of the way. The sun was now trying to break through. More river crossings and over the dam. 
    Reached CP2 and 4h cut off at about 3h20. Quickly ingested orange juice, ice coffee, fresh mango pieces and rice pudding. Saw one of our dinner companions who had had to drop out. Spoke briefly with l’s husband (and dog) as I finished the mango and set off over the hill road. A solo girl and a group of 3 managed a faster walking pace than mine heading up the long hill. I was however still kept company by Darcy, I’s dog.
    It was here I started to meet the front runners coming back down the hill. Over the hillcrest and I met more returning runners progressing up. Down to CP3 and a a cheery known face. Here the route turns off the road along the track along the side of Glen Lochay. I was now running alone, the only runners to be seen on the valley bottom. Eventually, I too turned down to the bottom of the Glen and headed back down towards the hill road. I reached the bottom of the hill road and 27 miles amid a herd of cows with calves and not another soul to be seen (scary)
    Marched back up to to CP3 (halfway up the hill road). Again encouraged on my way, although now slowing up. There had been no sight of any other runners for over an hour but no sign of last runner marshals (sweepers). Continued to walk to top of hill road before settling into a slow jog down for the last 2.5 miles, the now familiar Glen Lyon Dam coming into view. Crossed the line at 8h15 with one other about 20 m behind me. In this race the last completer also gets a plate.
    Welcomed across line by Els (who got home in 6h52) and RO. 
    Hot stove, hot soup tea and cakes then 23 mile drive back to nearest hotels and shops.
    A  satisfactory and better-than-expected result for both of us.
    As son was back from Sweden for a wedding we stayed south for rest of Bank Holiday weekend, returning home on Tuesday.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great report, OH! Well done!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    wow OH what a report!! I love that.  Well done, its amazing. both you and Els
    dustin enjoy the lunchtime sun and coaching!
    WP amazing, I only managed 2 miles - temp much better I agree. 
    emzap you think therefore you are?  
    alehouse, may it go well!
    LMH enjoy the short and easy

Mine was short due to another trip later to Wembley tonight and me not managing to get up early enough this morning.  I did manage a nice negative split as a consolation! 
    What: 2 mile (mile one 11.11, mile 2 9.45)
    why: time
    last hard: that was
    Last rest: 31/12/16

have a great day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    You know what OH, 2018 may not have been a good year for training, but based on everything you have put there, I'm sure it would generate international envy, the event and locations are superb! The type of thing you only see in films for many (that would typically star Ted Danson or similar). It sounds like a fantastic event, well done on the completion of that and the detailed report a superb account and a here is to a further enjoyable 2018.

Don: Well done on the activity there considering the current gripes, hope they sort out soon.

LMH: Hang on, I've just stumbled... short easy? You go for it, a reduction today will be a tonic.

Welsh: The heat is getting me also, got back from work yesterday before school pickup, got a 6 miler in, but bloody nora, the heat knocks me for six, like being whacked round the head with a hard cushion, and I decided a coastal cliffs run to get breeze, but the hills didn't help.

Ale: Hope you run goes well today, the days are charting progress.

Ollie: Hello, I'm new. Hope you have a good one today.

Dustin: Sneaky lunchtime runs are great, you are probably on it now as I type.

Emz: Take it steady if the legs are heavy today and enjoy the decided route.

Wabo: Negative split, great stuff, I've tried negative splits many times, but they are always longer than the first half. Maybe one day, unless I walk the first half.

Straycelt: Well done on Glasto, love the hat line about the reversed not being a fashion statement but functionality. My hat (under the recommendation of LMH) for VLM was a £3 cricket hat. It was function over form to be disposed on route when not needed. Anyway after my hat got so far on the journey it had become my mate and we had to finish together. Anyway SC watch this space, Wiggle, Startfitness, Amazon will be stocking them as they will become the Autumn 2018/Spring 2019 marathon fashion accesory "Run like Bez from the Monday's for only £19.99".

Don't know about the wearer, looks like to me he is on a jolly not running the hottest VLM. He could clearly try harder.

What: Gym day today with Jeremy Vine at lunch break (in 10 mins)
    Why: Leg rest
    Lyrics: Well it is most certainly a no from me today

All the best chaps, enjoy the rest of the day

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Nice report OH.  I know the area well, maybe one day!!! 

LMH, I can sense the exasperation!!

Iced my hamstring again this morning, sitting on some now as well.  Seems to be helping.  Should manage a run later.

Lyrics, nope.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    great photo benjy! I love that hat!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Nice report OH - I'm pleased that both you and Els managed to exceed your expectations.

I think you're right Benjy - those hats could really catch on! I'll take a small commission please  :)  You look good in that photo.

I take it that means you've decided to just continue as you are Donaldo and hope it sorts itself out sooner rather than later?

Which marathon emzap?

What did you see at the theatre Wabo?

That's a good pace for 'not eyeballs out' and when recovering from your weekend Dustin.

It's gone a little chilly for me again Poppy  :)

Hope you enjoyed your runs Alehouse and Ollie - looks like Wednesday is the thread short and easy day.

I'm sure more of you know these lyrics - it's a classic. One of my favourite summer tunes.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Did a very warm 7.5 km including sundays "5 km" route (actually 5.8!).  If I run it as quick as I did today on Sunday if be first senior lady... And I wasn't pushing that hard (though we are having a big Eurovision party on Saturday night)

Lmh York marathon.

Oh what a lovely report. Well done!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

What: 4.2k off road, with some walk/stretch breaks

Why: looking at a potential course for another parkrun (Fletcher Moss and cinder paths adjacent) plus Achilles was not really playing today, possible post-Pilates and stretches yesterday evening.

Not sure that the London Marathon this year was a day for wearing black kit, Benjy! And you look far too happy!
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    OH: Fantastic report. You both must be pleased. Just about everyone else: What Benjy said :-)
    Ale: Easy tiger! Donaldo: heal well. Benjy: Gym and Jeremy Vine: Double exertion? :-)
    Last night's Rose Inn 4 miler was intersting. Finished top half in 28.16 so should be pleased. Legs could have done more as could the lungs but HRM dictates. Pants appointment with EP/Cardio so reflecting on options.
    Consistent WP. Dustin: Don't like the sound of last night.
    What: Not a lot
    Why: Driving to Bala after work
    Last Hard: Last night
    Last Rest: Work in progress
    Lyrics. Oh yes.

• Sorry to hear that you didn't get the answers you wanted from the appointment SC - well done on the race.
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    4x400 warm up
    12x400 yasso 800
    (or another variation on running anti-clockwise around an 400m oval)

Don - There is also a 17mile Glen Lyon Trail on the Sunday finishing after the circuit of the Loch Lyon.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Well done SC.
    LMH, to be fair, it’s the only way I know.  

OH, lots of Dunblane Runners did that trail race, looks a great route.

7.3 miles tonight in about 56 mins, nice and easy.  Little to no hamstring pain - this ice malarkey really works!!