My Last Run

Comments

• Thanks for the advice Stephen. It totally makes sense, Sunday is usually always a slow run: It was on my training plan for Tuesday, tomorrow was supposed to be 3 miles slow, but i’m out all day tomorrow and TuesdayI have a driving lesson and I’m helping on at school so I just amalgamated them all together!
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    A busy weekend of running for MLRers! And I'm with Will, with not such a remarkable PB, but a parkrun PB nonetheless. 24.31 which is a few seconds off the old PB and lifts the spirits a little :-)
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Well done on your PB Nessie. 

Sometimes life gets in the way for training plans Andrea and you have to juggle things.  I would also stick to not doing two hard days in a row.   If you have done an all out effort on a parkrun then not a tough hill repeats session the next day. 

A 10 miler for me yesterday.  Legs were a bit tired still from Friday's efforts although only for walking not running strangely.  8:56 average but fluctuating a bit due to the undulations and a lively breeze.  Warm - deliberately went out over midday to continue heat acclimatization for summer training but wore a hat and a t-shirt rather than a vest so as not to get burnt.   Lots of lilac to look at in the gardens and the fields are full of buttercups.  A few birdspots - skylark, buzzard, kite, stork and a piebald blackbird.  The frogs were busy in the pond. 
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Good day, all.  Recent events have resembled the persistent dirty ring around the bath that no manner od product or elbow grease can shift.  In fact, streaking, eating and sleeping form the only constants.

Hohum.  Last night - can you guess? - 10-mile dark run with plenty of firm, level beach in post-sunset half light that refused to leave.  Strange lights on the prom; camp fires on the beach and sounds of teenage high jinks that I decided, geographically, to avoid.  Still warmth bin the air when I got home at 10:45pm.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Good job on your PBs, folks!
    Like Hazel and swittle, I did a 10 miler today. I'm not sure that was a sensible thing to do but I was enjoying the sunshine and kept to an easy pace. Ran past a clubmate twice (she is twice as fast as I am and going in the opposite direction) having watched her demolish the entire field at parkrun on Saturday (the first time, I think, Tooting's had a lady finish first).
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Good running, Cal. And kudos to all-conquering lady parkrunner.   :)
  • thanks for information....
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Hope you get your metaphoric bath clean swit. Good Parkruns and pacey 11miles in the heat SEForde. I've slowed this weekend but acclimatising by covering distance. Body's a bit tired. So 17.1miles today. Took some water with me and pootled through the families and cyclists. Rescued and returned a dropped Peppa Pig hat. Sped up a little in last couple of miles but pretty even pace. My legs were looking deeply brown by the end but some of it washed off.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Impressive mileage in this heat JT
    Nice 10s Hazel, swit and Cal.
    Swit, sorry to hear life is poo ATM.  i hope the streak offers some much needed respite.
    Me- 9 miles very easy pace in the heat this morning. Enjoyed not having any target in terms of pace or mileage
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Fine headgear retrieval skills, JT.  Glad you're enjoying steadier running, Nessie.

....and thank you, both, for your thoughts.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hang in there, swittle! I remember Autumn '15, when everything just went wrong for me - I lost my job, my PC started dying and I had to buy a new one, a leak under my kitchen caved in downstair's neighbour's ceiling costing me a lot of money...I'm sure there was more, too - and I thought, well, at least my running's going well! And then I got a groin strain. So, er, don't do that.

Nessie, glad you're enjoying your running. Do you have any other races lined up later in the year? (Incidentally, entries are still open for Liverpool if you wanted to make the most of your London training, though it sounds as if you're enjoying the break).

I did 5 miles at recovery pace. I should probably have had a rest day but didn't want to waste the weather. I was going to do 6 but realised I wasn't feeling that great so I cut the corner off the common and called it at 5. I know it takes a little while to bounce back from shingles, even a relatively mild case like mine, and I didn't sleep enough the last two nights. Need to sort that out.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    13.4mile road/offroad mix in bit over 1hr42. Felt more comfortable running in the heat. Passed a horse drawn glass hearse carrying a white coffin. Couldn't help think of the ostentatious aggrandising funerals beloved of crim families. Unfair I know. The hoof and tractor tyre gouged dried mud of some fields and paths were tricky. Saw a sheep stuck the wrong side of a fence. Followed a thicket  path carpeted either side by violet bluebells giving way to the white of daisies. Beautiful. Plastered with bugs.
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Due for mini-taper before Sunday's race but have a scratchy throat and fuggy head - perfect timing! Will elect for early night, vit C and  garlic munching instead of my planned 4 miles.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • PetrH90PetrH90 ✭✭
    > @"Will Clennell" said:
    > Due for mini-taper before Sunday's race but have a scratchy throat and fuggy head - perfect timing! Will elect for early night, vit C and  garlic munching instead of my planned 4 miles.

Good luck!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Cooler & damper on the way over, JT.  Was out on the moors near Haworth a few years ago with some lean, fast KCAC runners - found a sheep stuck in a deep culvert.  No ceremony: two of my companions slipped down and, getting good purchase, heaved it up and on its way.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Cal, surely you jest!!?? i'll need at least a year to get over that horrid experience! Possibly two or three!! I'll do some of the club races over the summer, then an autumn half. Definitely Kingston and probably Pleshey also. Possibly Stebbing 10 mile.  I have a big swim in 5 weeks- the Jubliee 10k, which I'm doing with a mate, so it'll be 5k for me. But still need to up my swimming.  Also I'll do the Serpentine 2 mile in September. And a Swim Run in July, which I can't wait for. Also a team event. Summers now tend to be a switch over to OW swimming and less pressurised running.
    JT, I too got plastered in bugs yesterday. Yuck. At least I didn't get any in my eye. Vile.
    Swittle, great sheep story :-) Keep on streaking. Find the positives.
    Will, rest up
    I did my 6 am this morning with two great friends. It was supposed to be a speedy /tempo 5k but we found loads of stuff to talk about instead, so it was an easy one :-)

• Yesterday 4 miles recovery run @9;39 min/mi. This evening 5 miles. 1 mile easy then 4 at tempo pace. Tomorrow morning 6 miles at easy pace
    Sound's like a good plan to me Nessie.  

Is it your 18 mile race at the weekend Will?  Hope you are not going down with something.  Take it easy.

Wise move to cut your run short Cal if you are not yet feeling great.  

Standard Tuesday 6 miles for me yesterday with my group in 59:32 mins.  Nice evening though a bit muggy.  Took in 2 flies but managed to spit them out again - one tasted very dodgy.

Seeing as I didn't get very far in my April marathon I've bitten the bullet and signed up for a local(ish) marathon on Sunday.  A mix of tarmac, woods and fields, some undulations and a small number of participants.  Only goal: get round this time. Weather forecast is cool and maybe some rain, maybe some wind.
  • Stephen E FordeStephen E Forde ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    7 miles this morning instead of 6. Evenly split between fast easy pace and slow tempo pace.
    Tomorrow I rest. Unless i don't.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Hazelnut - hopefully the conditions will be a little more to your liking.
    Took a rest day yesterday. Calves were super tight and I just needed the rest. Turned into a computer gaming day, though I managed to force myself out for a 3 mile walk in the afternoon.
    Today, felt reasonable when I woke up (probably due to it being cooler last night, so I slept better and was less dehydrated this morning) so ended up doing 8 miles, with miles 6 and 7 at MP. A bit of a test, really. I felt OK - the question is whether I will be feeling OK at mile 20 of a marathon. I guess I will find out next weekend.
  • Good stuff, everyone. I am still sidelined with summer manflu :( Slept most of yesterday and have dosed up on all sorts, including echinacea - think that may have a good placebo effect.

Hazlenut, hope you enjoy your marathon -  that's what it's all about after all. I have my 18 miler on Sunday and a job interview on Monday so hope to make both. Feeling a bit better today so by Sunday it should be (not quite) all systems go!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Force 5 or 6 WSW, so my constitutional 4-miler was easy out and trickier return.  Have taken to including running perpendicular to the prom until I hit damp ground and then turning round ands heading for the prom.

Local canines were swittle-averse today but their owners weren't....  ;)
    Yep - that is what it will be about on Sunday Will - and getting to the finish.  I hope you recover from your manflu in time.

Windy stuff swittle. 

Good outings from you too Cal and Stephen.

Dress rehearsal for me yesterday evening - 6.8 miles (11km) with 2 miles at mara pace.   (a bit over 8 minute miling) Not actually sure what my mara pace will be on Sunday and it will be difficult to pace anyway because of the undulations.   I was talking to one of Sunday's pacemakers at my last race and he said to expect to add a good 10 minutes on to a flat marathon time.  Most important thing will be not to rush off like a complete idiot.

Bank holiday again for me today - taking tomorrow off work too to get in plenty of sleep. 
  • Andrea Dawson 2Andrea Dawson 2 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Not much running for me this week. I managed to squeeze in a speed workout on Tuesday night. 3 x 1km reps. 3 slow miles today.

I’m feeling all anxious and on edge. My daughter (7) is being very testing at the moment. Hubby and I are booked to go to New York on Sunday for our twelve year wedding anniversary. I know how lucky I am and how grateful I should be feeling to be going. But I haven’t left them for more than two nights before, and I think my daughter might be acting out because she doesn’t want us to go.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Sounds stressful Andrea.  How long are you going for? It's probably not related to the trip, it will be something else. But you're feeling worried about it and connecting the two. I hope you still manage to enjoy it. Can relate to perpetual guilt of being a parent. It doesn't stop, I even feel it with my enormous hairy 17 year old!

Me - it was a club league run tonight- 6 miles- and I didn't give it a thought before. Only intention was to have a nice run in the forest.
    But I had a great run! Felt so strong and enjoyed every minute.  I got my fastest time on this course since 2014. My Garmin says 51.04.  Gotta be happy with that and it's another consolation after my London shocker.

Oh had a lunch swim too today. I did a test- there's a pretty scummy pool right near work but I got there, swam 1k (40 lengths), showered and back at my desk within the hour. Pleased with that. Now I need to be able to take a full hour for lunch as a matter of course . Usually eat at my desk whilst I work
  • Stephen E FordeStephen E Forde ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Congrats on two fronts Nessie. One on your 6 mile time. Carry on doing what ever your doing and you will get even faster. Congrats also on seeing the light about work and lunch. Never work and eat lunch at your desk. It results in mindless eating and/or crap work. I may be wrong but your success at 6 miles will have much to do with better training, and diet, resulting in a better power to weight ratio and a loss in fat and an increase in lean muscle. All of which, among other things, runners need to get faster. Getting out at lunch time doing 30-40 lengths relaxing and eating lunch puts you in that physical and mental state you need to be better. It can definitely help you be more productive at work. 
    I am always happy to hear of people getting faster:)
    Today I did a 20 minute tempo run. 6:55 mim/mi pace. A proper one with plenty of dynamic warm up as I was in part seeing how my left hamstring was holding up. It held fine. I bookended with the obligatory 3 miles jog split between warm up and cool down.
    All is fine.
  • Hope you can enjoy NY, Andrea. I reckon, with kids, at any age there's always a stage. My 3 year old needs at least 6 outfit options each morning and screams a lot about everything at the mo! Go and enjoy yourselves - parents deserve some 'time'.

Nice lunch sesh, Nessie and another good sesh from you, Stephen.

Me, I haven't run since Saturday but my cold is gradually departing. Still coughing and bunged up a bit but hoping to make my event on Sunday. Chillies and garlic probably making me stink but feel I will be 80 percent + by Sunday. Will do a test jog in the morning to see how that feels. Life on the edge.
    I run, therefore I am.
    Not qualified to give advice on children Andrea (don't have any) but have a great trip to NY and travel well.  Congrats on the 12 years.

Nessie - sorry my imagination went a bit wild regarding enormous and hairy - has your son mutated into a wooky?  Well done on your good club run.  It sounds like you are getting over London well.

Nice tempo Stephen.

Good to hear your cold is on the way out Will - garlic and chilli sound dangerous but I can't talk as I have just eaten sausages flavoured with wild garlic and stink appropriately.  Good luck for Sunday.

5 miles recovery for me today with 6 x strides.  Felt a bit lethargic on the slower bits but enjoyed the strides as usual.  Pre mara rest day tomorrow.  Will be collect my number in the afternoon so less stress on Sunday.  Will need an early start then but will be able to enjoy my own bed. 
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Playlist includes a Tom Waits retrospective and some Brahms symphonies.  I listen how I feel atm.
  • My fastest parkrun in over a year this morning. 23:31. Speed work is doing some good ?