5k win time?

I'm training like there's no tomorrow because I'm wanting not only run 5k, but win it.

32 year old male, started running recently at 19-20ish minutes, only ever cycled previously as exercise.
:3
I switched from breathing with my nose to breathing with my mouth, also forced myself to sprint and my best time is now 16:33. I have managed around 17:15-18:02 a number of times.

When I managed 16:33 my nose was bleeding. Does that mean there wasn't enough oxygen going into my brain or something? I think it's some sort of sign my body is breaking up. What time should I be aiming for it I want to win a 5k marathon? There's going to be about 1000 people in the race and I'm assuming a portion can run sub 20.

Comments

• 1000 in the race? Possibly sub 16 to win I would have thought.

5K marathon? what's one of those ;)

• I switched from breathing with my nose to breathing with my mouth, also forced myself to sprint and my best time is now 16:33. I have managed around 17:15-18:02 a number of times.

When I managed 16:33 my nose was bleeding. Does that mean there wasn't enough oxygen going into my brain or something? .
    Yes definitely. If you slow down to around 16:51.2 seconds this bleeding issue should go away. 

The problem is that a 5k at a pace of around 16:31 to 16:51 falls in the nodular transposition zone (google it) where your mouth can no longer suck in enough oxygen for your brain to function and needs your nose to join in. By suppressing this reflex the nose starts to bleed.

Was the 16:33 in a parkrun or was it just self timed?

Good luck with your race.