The Thousand Mile Club - 2018

Comments

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Yes, I managed to get out and through the 350 mark last night. Ended up running short on time, so only did 3 miles in the end. Hoping to do something better tonight.

351 YTD

• Steven Morrison 2Steven Morrison 2 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Hey folks,

Thanks for asking how it went, I have a funny feeling you won't make that mistake again.

The high and lows of being a runner, after having such a rotten time at Stirling I had challenged myself to break my previous PB of 53:52 at last nights 10K. I had apparently run a 50:26 (according to my watch) at my HM in March, so for my 1st race in the 10K and only 11 days since the Marathon lets ease myself into the 10K Series and try to go under 50 minutes for the first time, and that was my target before the race.

Got there in good time, got myself into the middle of the starting pack - which from previous years would match my goal time and away we went on a glorious sunny evening. Well middle of the field might be where Sub-50 finishes this race but it sure wasn't where people chose to start it - the first 1K of the race was dodging round people, darting through this gap and generally trying not to be wiped out by people zoned out on headphones.

At the end of that, there was some running room but I had taken off too fast and I could feel it and the watch confirmed it, I was aiming for 8 min/miles but I had run 7:35 pace. Way too fast for tonight's plan, and so each Kilo went, with me looking at the watch heart rate maxed out in the low 180's and me unable/unwilling to back off even though I didn't believe I could hold this pace.

It's possibly the first time I felt like I was out of control of myself in a race, at 5K my lungs were burning and my legs were feeling weak, but I was rewarded with a downhill and the upcoming waterstop. I was breathing so heavily I decided if I had some water I would probably choke - so I declined and drove on.

Wee uphill, then 6K - I was still hurting, heart rate was still red but I was past half way ... if my pace collapses from here I might just sneak under the 50 so just push on, hold this pace as long as you can.

At the 8K point I didn't really feel much better but it's 1.2 miles to the finish from there and I'll admit Stirling came back into my thoughts and I remembered how horrible it felt and I thought ... cannae be worse than that can it? Head down keep it going.

A couple of guys I had passed at around 7K, crept up onto my shoulder at 9K and pushed on past me, I fixed my eyes on them and hung on.

I was delighted to see the '400m to go' sign, one lap of the track - right hold nothing back now, I kicked ... LOL ... nothing happened, I was at max speed already and I never caught my targets.

It felt like I almost collapsed over the line but in a couple of minutes I felt fine again, (done in but fine) and I was rewarded with a new shiny PB of 47:10 (unofficial, mix-up with chip times at the moment, they say it'll be sorted and up on the website today).

I'm a bit confused by it this morning, delighted but confused, as a runner who had always thought that sort of time was actually beyond my ability, and after my disappointing result at Stirling - I'm a bit stunned. Training for the Marathon has completely changed my body and completely changed the way I think about what it can do - I wish I had done it years ago.

Sorry, I think that post is probably longer than the race. ;)

10 May - 6.21 Miles

YTD: 653.76 Miles

PS: It's not very exciting, I work in the Construction Sector as an Engineering Draughtsman. Yep, I sit in front of a computer all day, I'm one of the epidemic of people who sit around at work all day.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well done on the massive pb Steven! I can relate to the feeling of pain during the last mile or so when you try to notch the pace up ever so slightly even though you are already knackered!
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Steven love that race review buddy!! Amazing PB congratulations! These stories just inspire to make it happen for yourself...

• lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Just popping in for a quick update. Been out this afternoon for a nice run out. Weather was perfect, so much cooler and a lovely breeze.

6.1 miles today leaving me on  269.36 YTD
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Nothing to update but just had to pop in to pass on huge congratulations to Steven... great race report, fantastic effort and outstanding determination - all rewarded with a fab big PB - well done!!! :star::grin:

• Good luck for today Harmander. 
    Well done Steven on the new PB.

11.5 8.07 miles
    12.5 8.37 miles

YTD 730.7 miles
  • Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭
    Great running everyone, some terrific targets getting smashed, well done.

Friday here in Wild West Wales was wet, so for the Preseli Beast on Saturday the moors were likely to be muddy...and they were...excellent.

Race organizer, Caz the Hat, and his fabulous team of villagers had been super busy marking out the 3 courses, baking cakes and sorting out goody bags.

Saturday morning was stunning though, sunny, not too warm with a gentle breeze, couldn't have been better.

The 32mile UltrabeasT and 24 mile Beast started together at 10:00 with the 11 mile Beast Bach (Small Beast in Welsh) starting at 12:30. In traditional Caz fashion everyone is expected to hug 3 of their fellow runners before the start, so suitably hugged up, we were off at 10:00.

1st mile is through the woods with tree roots, mud and wooden walkways to contend with, then after a very brief road section, it's off-road into the first climb so everyone starts stretching out up the hillside. straight after this, it's back down the other side of the hill through a small disused slate quarry only to be met again by Caz high fiving every competitor. At 5 miles we're climbing up to 1500 ft then dropping down to sea level in Newport Pembrokeshire and faced with climb back up and over Carn Ingli, a very steep, rocky 1100 ft, a drop down into the Gwain Valley gives a bit of relief before the next big 
    climb at 20 miles to 1700 ft, here the Ultra runners split off for an 8 mile loop...I had entered the Beast so more or less downhill, back through the woods to the finish. 

Last year I was struggling from 13 miles in, this year I felt good all the way...well as good as I could feel...focussing on a beer at the finish.

I finished in 4hr 23mins...20 minutes quicker than last year and finishing 15th overall.

616 miles YTD
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well done Hobie! As with whenever I read about these sorts of races I think “rather you, than me”!

5 miles today, so up to 361 YTD 
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    Steven and Hobbie: Thanks for two of the best event reports, ever. Wonderful.

I was happy with my Parkrun at three seconds under PB at just inside 23 mins and a further 5.2 on the treadmill.

Wednesday night is a local running club 10K, my plan is 24 for the first 5 and then what ever comes next! Hoping for 47!

YTD: 437.9
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Amazing running by all at the moment and great effort Hobie!

Went out today for a small recovery run at 3.7 miles

Puts me on 273.06 for the year
  • Steven Morrison 2Steven Morrison 2 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ahoy-hoy,

Hobie: Superb work sir, 15th overall awesome. I hope the beer you were targeting was similarly awesome.

Donnie: Nice Parkrun PB there and I hope you get what you want from your 10K too, be sure and let us know how the strategy pans out.

Dubai: nice consistent work as ever!

Harmander: I'm assuming it's Congrats on another Mara and therefore breaking 1100 - inspirational. I hope everything post-run and outside running is good too, or at least the best it can be.

lilly: nice work, you're steadily eating up the road to 300 miles.

DavidC: I hope the Toprun went to plan sir, how was the bling? And also well done breaking 500!

I gave myself Fri & Sat off as a reward, but also because i aggravated my toe during my 10K, it still wasn't right but went back out on sunday morning, hoping to enjoy the sunshine, and see the cygnets down by the canal. But, unfortunately I got rain (I know, in Scotland, who'd have thought) so rubbish weather, which meant even the swans stayed under cover. But no real complaints about the run.

I've been getting twitchy about not doing anything 'long' since Stirling so I had made up my mind to get one done before work this morning. Alarm buzzed away at quarter to five and thankfully the sun is now up at the time too, so i was able to drag myself downstairs and into my kit. It was a very laboured effort, felt very 'heavy' but I'm glad I did it.

13 May - 5.85m
    14 May - 17.5m

YTD: 667.11
  • Afternoon all,

I must say what a great thread we have this year, I genuinely love catching up after the weekend.

Donnie, Best of luck for Wednesday. 

Andrew, Well done on pushing through the 350 mile mark.

Steven, Massive congratulations for the new PB and I loved the report, I am thinking as this is a "Series" we may see a further PB before the end.

Hobie, Congratulations on passing the 600 mile mark, I also enjoyed the race report, it sounds like a hard run, so well done on such a good time.

Harmander, Hope the marathon went okay.

As for me I went along to Walton-on-Thames Friday morning, conditions were lovely, not to hot but quite sunny and the path ways were dry. I started very well, I think a little too well in fact by running the first half in 1.47, I was still going well until around the 20 - 22 mile mark, then my legs turned to lead, still not entirely sure as to why, I finished in 4.11 which is still not to bad, however overall I had a lovely morning out.  

Next one is on June 14th and mum is coming along to do the half, this one is at Dorney lakes and is a flat 10 lap (closed) road circuit with great views of the rowing lakes one side and fields the other, I think probably my favourite circuit to date.

Stats for last week:

11.05.18 - 26.2
    13.05.18 - 5

YTD = 507.45
  • Dear all,

Thanks for the good wishes regarding my son, he is back home now and recovering well.

A little catch up on the running.  Yes went out Friday night to be hosted by our Interfaith friends in Luxembourg, attended the pasta party to pick up the numbers. Saturday morning we were invited to the residence of the Archbishop of Luxembourg after which our group gave a presentation to our friends from different faiths and countries of the EU.
    The four hours free time was used by some on a mini tour of the city and surroundings and at 5:00 pm we had a group photo on the start line folowed by the traditional interfaith prayer for peace to all.

Race started at 7:00 pm and it was still 24 degrees but getting cooler. I was four minutes faster than last year at half way and sped up a bit more as the temperature dropped. At 30 km the course is at it's lowest point and one has about 340 foot climb over the last 12 km.  They changed the course slightly from the established one and it threw me a little resulting in me running fast to get to the familiar bits I was used to. I finished 14 minutes faster than last year when I was running with the pacers.
    Sunday morning saw us get together again for the Interfaith runners prize giving and one of our team won the half marathon  (male) in 1:32.
    Went home to host family, helped clear their garden, cooked and shared the meal with others and boarded our flight back home at 9:30 pm to be back in my own bed by midnight.

yes, am over the 1100 mile mark now.

YTD = 1102.85 miles

• lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone, great running again by everyone.

Harmander great to hear your son is on the mend! And congratulations on your latest marathon!

David well done for breaking through 500 miles!

Just got back from a 7.4 mile run out... was really hot out there, dont know how Dubai does it!!

YTD 280.48

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    5 miles this evening, felt pretty good.

Takes me onto a leap year of miles too - 366 YTD 
  • Little NellLittle Nell ✭✭✭
    Evenin' all!

Nice running, as ever, Dubai.

Well done Hobie - a great achievement! What a fantastic improvement over such a tough course! :grin:

Hehe Andrew... nice coincidental total there.

Congrats, Donnie, on a really good parkrun. Best of luck for tomorrow night's 10K - hope it goes as planned!

Nice consistent running from you lilly.

Ooofff - I can't believe you're already back up at 17+ miles already Steven... great effort! An interesting job too - I did 'O' Level Tech. Drawing... one of my favourite subjects.

Another marvellous marathon from you there, David... well done! I hear you on the dead legs at ~20 miles... I am familiar with that feeling - in the heat too :smile:

Great to hear your son is home again now, Harmander. Really good race report from you too... another of those annoying surprise course changes - I seem to remember you had that in another race this year? Well done on a nice time - I cyber stalked since you didn't let on in your post :lol::wink:

Soooo... I fear I've lost my running mojo :disappointed: I'm really struggling to get back to some good quality running and I haven't been back to a club session of any sort since the marathons - meaning I haven't been to the club for a couple of months now, as I missed few before I left for Boston too! I did a "taster" Pilates barre class (sadly not a bar class) on Saturday morning and somewhat shredded my legs so, rather than doing some nice gentle recovery runs over the weekend to try to help, I just sacked off my weekend sessions and didn't run at all. I had intended to try to make up one of the runs yesterday - but nope. Fortunately, I did manage to drag my sorry @rse out with my work colleague this lunchtime and managed 5.28 miles... but I'm just soooooo tired and unfocused at the moment - any suggestions good people? Anyway - enough moping and feeling sorry for myself! 

YTD: 573.09 miles.

• Hobie 1495Hobie 1495 ✭✭✭

Nell, you'll get your mojo back soon enough, I think a lot of people feel the same after a tough race or two (including me), maybe the bodies way of making you rest.

Harmander, great news that your son is home & on the mend, and well done on your race & overall mileage.

Andrew, nice numbers...bet it won't last long on 366...400 is calling.

Lilly, 300 Is getting close, going well.

Dubai, I'm still in awe at you running in those temperatures, it's just beginning to warm up here &  I'm feeling it. Great miles.

Donnie, nice Parkrun time, your 10k should be good.

If anyone wants to see the race I did...in Welsh...hope this works.

https://www.facebook.com/HenoS4C/videos/1761407870609379/

I did my first wee run post Beasting, flatish 6 mile taking me to 622 YTD

• Nell: I think a dip in mojo is understandable, just training to run Boston and London back to back (never mind the actual effort required to run them only 6 days apart, in wild weather conditions) must have required a great deal of your mental and emotional reserves. I’d be amazed if you weren’t feeling a bit unfocused after completing such a huge goal, I’m guessing you were thinking about the start date for Boston for months.

Never be afraid to bask a little in the glow of achievement Nell, what you did last month was nothing short of awesome – enjoy it. As Hobie says the mojo will come back, and you’ll be all the stronger for the rest. You’ll return to the fray, re-invigorated and ready for the next race/challenge/goal that make you think … “That’s tough, but I’m sure I can do it!”

As for me … 4 miles this morning in new trainers – Wow! My old ones are done! (nearly 400 miles). 10K tomorrow, hoping to be in control of myself this time lol.

16 May – 4.0m

YTD : 681.11m (corrected from last time … robbed myself of 10 miles DOH!)

• lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Nell it is totally understandable to feel a bit down after the effort you had to put in recently! You will be back firing soon enough!!

Hobie that looks crazy, the perfect name for such a course.. fair play for taking that on!!
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Nell - as others have said, a bit of fatigue and CBA attitude is not surprising. You should always structure training during a year to have some down-time or base training each year anyway, so maybe now is a good time to have a low mileage month?
  • Little Nell,

Thanks for the cyber stalking - I just hate being ignored or overlooked lol.
    My approach when in your current state of mind is to set myself a new target and start afresh to achieve it - with interim targets to get there.  Before I know it I am better and stronger than ever before.
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    4 miles easy today... so much nicer today not
  • lilly61lilly61 ✭✭✭
    Try again! 4 miles easy tonight, a lot cooler so much nicer compared to yesterday when I found it very hard going.

YTD 284.48
  • Good afternoon all

Nell, don't worry about your running, get back out when you're ready and don't put any pressure on yourself.

Regarding heat, I know I've said before you get used to it, that is correct to a certain point. I doff my cap to all you guys having to run in the rain and cold. As the temperatures ramp up so you have to think more about your running. I live in a gated community of 1800 villas, there are plenty of paths and sand/grassy areas and I know every inch of the area. I know which areas are shaded in the morning and that the pond park is exactly one kilometer in length and when the canopy protects you. Also I run approx 2 minutes a mile slower in the summer to try and negate overheating and wear a visor and sunscreen. Missed 2 days as I was working nights and its too hot during midday when I got out of bed.

Anyway last 2 runs run in the mid 30s with 40% humidity.

16.2 10.09 miles
    17.2 6.24 miles

YTD 747.03 miles
  • Two recovery runs of 10.48 miles - on Tuesday and again today makes 
    YTD =1123.81 miles

My next planned arathon is a Pop Up Marathon starting at 4:00 pm on 26 May for which I hope to have got rid of a niggly left quad I aggravated with the 340 foot climb over the last 12km in Luxembourg.

I chose to change my marathon planned for 9 June to the one next day as my younger son is in the Panjab FA squad for the CONIFA World Cup that starts on 31 May and the final is on 9 June.  Last time they lost 6-5 on penalties in the final and hope to go one better this time.  The CONIFA World Cup is being hosted in England (well London and surrounding areas actually) so I feel I really ought to go watch him play as it is not every day your kid plays in a World Cup.

Check out the CONIFA website at

http://www.conifa.org/en/wfc-2018/
  • Oh I forgot,

Panjab is ranked number 1 - no pressure lol

They lost 2-1 to England C recently
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Rest that quad Harmander!

A couple more short runs for me over the past couple of days have taken me up to 374 YTD, which as of last night was only c1.3 miles behind the pro rata curve for the year.

• All,

Harmander: That will be a lovely moment - I'll keep my eye out for that Tournament, since as a Scot, my country completely failed to make it to Russia.

No 10K to report as my wee one is down with Tonsilitis and is very tearful and upset, I didn't have the heart to leave my better half alone last evening to handle bath, bedtime and tears all on her ownsome - while I chased after glory and fame ;) . That and my head just wouldn't have been anywhere near pushing myself.

Got myself up and out this morning whilst the house was asleep and went for a chilled run. Saw the new cygnets - grey and fluffy ... lovely. And just for Dubai, the temperature this morning in the glorious spring sunshine ... a balmy 5C.

18 May - 5.85m

YTD: 686.96 Miles
  • Donnie2Donnie2 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Great work by so many.  I'd like to name check everyone but typing on a small phone screen which is v tricky. 

My Wednesday night 10k was fine but ultimately a little disappointing. 
    The plan was to run the first half in 24 with a feeling I could go sub 23 for the second half so sub 47 overall.  I ended up doing 24.52 at half way,  the second half was quicker (22.40) so relatively happy at 47.32.  The problem was that I left to much in the tank.  A strength is that I can pace myself very well,  a weakness is that I'm to cautious. 

Ytd: 451