Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Robert- happy birthday for today.

I hate to see so many job losses at BT. I have went through redundancy on 2 occasions and they were difficult times. Hopefully the government will do something to help these people.

8 miles today in quite a miserable day weather wise mixture of periods of short sharp showers and a stiff wind so not ideal. Still thankfully no issues with the hamstrings. 
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Jelly - You will get through this injury. I think my all time low was when someone told me once that my injury (at the time) would never resolve and I should give up running and take up Nordic walking instead.
    That was about 10 marathons ago  B)

Going along with Big G and Shades, try not to worry too much about putting weight on. Just try and eat sensibly. Running doesn't actually burn that much and, as Shades said, once you've been running for a while then it seems to be even less. When I was using MFP the discrepancies between what the app would say I had burned off compared to what my Garmin predicted was amazing. My Garmin was much less, probably because it took into account my HR etc but this was a more accurate figure. I know what you mean though, when I am running regularly everything just seems to fall into place and my weight tends to stabilise. Whatever happens you're not going to put 4 stone on again so stop worrying about that.

Shades - I hope that's just a 24hr summer cold you've got there. Sounds like you've recovered well from your marathon.. any goals in particular for Sunday's race?
    Was planning on doing a report for Blaye, just need to get it done sooner rather than later. I do like a good ramble  :)

Watercress smoothie?! Bleeeuurk!

Robert - Sorry, zapped that it was your birthday today, lovely time of year for a birthday.. have a good one!

Big G - I remember when you decided to leave your job. Good to know that it was the right decision to make instead of wasting any more of your life in a job that didn't make you happy.

Cal - Great news for the tenant. Bet that's a relief.

Thank you all for the good luck wishes for the race and for the camping(!). It's actually a choice to camp. Well, sort of. Blaye is not that far away.. about an hour or so but they do a really good party afterwards so we are driving down (vehicule as yet undecided) in the morning then staying for the afternoon and camping the night after the marathon. I would obviously prefer to stay in a hotel but finances won't allow that so one night in our pop up tent is the only solution. Campsite is right in the grounds of the citadelle and pretty much on the start line so we don't have to move very far.
    I'm actually toying with the idea of dressing up. Now don't get me wrong, normally I'd prefer the idea of a bit of root canal work to the idea of dressing up and then running a marathon but I do have an ulterieur motive. Last year I saw all these people queuing outside a tent after the marathon, showing their number and then being given a nice bottle of red wine. I joined the queue but when my turn came it was pointed out that I wasn't in fancy dress so didn't qualify for a bottle. Mr Fox helpfully piping up by the side of me "She's actually a bloke" got a few laughs but no wine. However, I'm not sure that just donning a novelty headband at the last minute would qualify and I think I've left it a bit late to find anything else. 

I've also had a look through my stats from last year and I wish I hadn't. I'm on 412km less mileage than I was this time last year and 1.8kg heavier.
    Fantastic. Can't bloody wait  :|

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    mamafox - One of my clubmates holds the world record for the fastest marathon dressed as a swimmer - pretty much the easiest costume you could go for.

steven, glad your hammies are OK.

Robert, I'd like to do that Hyde Park 10K but it's the day before Liverpool, so no dice (this time, anyway). I'll get around to it at some point. Runthrough races are pretty good - I did a lot of them before moving on to bigger races. (For the record, I do like coconut water, but it needs to be cold. It's not nice when it's lukewarm).

Well I survived Hot Inferno Pilates. Tough class - she made us do mountain climbers and burpees in addition to all the ab and glute stuff. I'm almost certain to be sore tomorrow. But, on the plus side, I didn't feel ill, dizzy, out of breath or any of that stuff, so it seems things are looking up.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    414,000 applied for London this year,oh well.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Big G - I tried to see Skid Row Marathon last night. I called up the cinema as their website was down and they said to just turn up. But when I got there, they said they were no longer showing it due to technical problems! V frustrating as apparently the problems had been all day and if I’d known, I could have gone elsewhere! Funny thing was that when I complained on Twitter, there was a guy on his own in the room, wondering why the film wasn’t appearing. He only found out via Twitter, the staff didn’t think to tell him, 

Shades - I’m afraid I’ve only read a few pages back as this thread moves so fast!

MF - didn’t twig that your marathon was this weekend! You’d have to offer me a lot more than wine to wear fancy dress! Hope the weather is OK for you.

Cal - I did think about whether I might be premenopausal! Not sure though as no other symptoms and still getting periods (sorry if TMI!). Also, the symptoms started quite suddenly. Have got an appointment now (next month) for my 24-hr monitor so hopefully that will tell them more.

One of the older members of my club has given me a load of very old school running books! They are fascinating reading - First Four Minutes (written by Bannister), the complete book of running (Jim Fixx), a couple of Bruce Tulloh books, the Ovett autobiography (which is signed) and ‘Marathoning’ by Bill Rogers. A lot of these are written in the 80s and talk already about the fact that running is turning into a big business with people selling things you don’t need! But my favourite page has to be this, from Tullob’s ‘Running is Easy’. 100 training steps from waking and leading to a 60 minute 10 mile race!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's hard to believe that there were so few at the Plymouth showing, lots of running clubs around there.

I'm recording the Giro highlights but I'm about 3 days behind.  Amazing scenery on what I think was Day 3, looked like something from a space movie.   I still have 2 highlights of the Tour of Yorkshire to watch too.

Radical cost cutting and redundancies at BT, I'm not surprised it's not the company it used to be.  But lots of concerns for your previous colleagues but there are plenty jobs around so they should be OK.

Jelly - it's good to try on lots of trainers, the thinking is going away from gait analysis now but by how they feel when you try then on, but I would think that ideally it's needs to be a combination of both.  I spend a lot time researching shoes and reading reviews etc too.

Robert - I wouldn't be pleased with coconut water too.   The fattest lady in one of my Pilates classes always brings in a big carton of coconut water for a one hour class!  She was saying how healthy it was and a couple of others pointed out that she'd be better off with water if she's trying to lose weight as there is some sugar in coconut water.

mamafox - I'm sure it wasn't anyone on here that told you to take up Nordic walking ;) 

At the moment my goal for Sunday's race is to be on the start line, not looking too hopeful at the moment as my cold is worse and I still have the sore throat.   But I have one more day before I decide, it's an overnight stay so will have to decide tomorrow morning.

Camping so you can party is a good reason, not so sure about the dressing up just for a bottle of wine.   We will require photos if you do dress up ;)

Cal - good news you survived the class, you're definitely on the mend 

Ian - maybe better luck with a lottery ticket!  Is that more VLM ballot entries than last year?   For less places I suppose.

SK - good that the appointment has come through for the 24 hour heart test.

Interesting books, I have the Fixx one and have read a few of Bruce Tulloh's before.  Tulloh died, last week I think.  I have a photo of him presenting us with a prize at DD a few years ago, we were the first women's team to complete DD.   Not seen that 100 steps before but a really good way to present a training plan

Rest day for me as still have a cold, I actually feel worse today.  I was so tired last night but again had a rotten night's sleep due to my cold but RHR still not that high, slightly raised to 52 now so I'm still hoping for a miraculous recovery.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, really sorry to hear of your cold potentially impacting your race plans again this weekend :(  Not good.

I've enjoyed what I've seen of the Giro, stages 5 and 6 in particular.  I have never really seen it before, although have watched TdF and Vuelta many times on TV.

I think the London ballot probably also includes a lot of GFA hopefuls, due to the new changes where a certain time doesn't guarantee a GFA place.  I've entered but of course not all that hopeful with the odds.  But you never know, I suppose!

SK, good to see a 100 step program to a 60-min 10 miler.  Looks pretty straight forward, so I'll give that a go some time :)  

As for me, I'm not sure if I'm running today as I do feel quite tired today - I slept okay, but I just feel more tired today then yesterday, so don't want to push it.  I also feel a bit of a cold coming on but it may be a touch of hay fever, which I do struggle with at times.  I'll see if I become more lively later on, but if not I'll take a rest day.  I've entered a competition to run MK Marathon again; very unlikely to win, but I would quite like to do the race again so thought I may as well enter the competition.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I've been listening to MarathonTalk for years, but one thing I don't fully understand is Tom's take on calorie counting, or the "move more/eat less" argument.  He seem to be very, very against this as a general principal but I've never really heard him go into the reasons why.  I'm not suggesting he's wrong to say this, but does anyone know what he's going on about here?  I know he's more-or-less the boss of parkrun and so is all about making things fun, and I also know he is very anti-sugar (although only fairly recently has come to that conclusion), but what's his issue with calorie counting as a way to help lose/maintain weight?  Genuinely interested.  Any links to what he is talking about?

I know a few months ago he went off on a massive rant where some public health body basically published a list of things that were considered exercise, and he seemed really frustrated with it all.  He went on to say he'd spent a morning playing with his kids, skimming stones in the sea, genuinely messing around, but that wouldn't have been considered exercise on this list that was published.  He tends to talk sense (i.e. he thinks IAAF are a bunch of idiots), but this calorie thing has got me a bit, mainly because MFP worked fine for me as a way of initially losing weight, and MFP is basically a calorie counting app.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Big G - I think Tom has issue with the fact that often the focus is on exercise as a simple solution rather than tackling the really poor diets that most people have. For example many big corporations (McD, Kellogg’s) use exercise in their marketing to suggest that it’s OK to eat rubbish as long as you’re active. And the focus on calorie counting can make people obsess over number of calories rather than think more about the quality and nutiritonal value of foods. I think he also subscribes to the ‘all calories aren’t equal’ thinking (look up Lustig and Taubes) and calorie counting doesn’t take this into account.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Thanks SK. I know he talks a lot of sense generally so assumed there'd be something behind what he says. I'll check those names out. Thanks. 

I loved London 2012 but was a but perturbed by McDs being a major sponsor at all the events!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    Shades, really sorry to hear of your cold potentially impacting your race plans again this weekend :(  Not good.

I know and although I feel really miserable and tired with this cold I'm actually really happy that it's not an injury this time.

First time I've seen the Giro too, but that's probably because I'm pretty sure it's not been on Freeview before.

They say the pollen counts are really high as due to late Spring everything is flowering at the same time.

Slowkoala said:
    Big G - I think Tom has issue with the fact that often the focus is on exercise as a simple solution rather than tackling the really poor diets that most people have. For example many big corporations (McD, Kellogg’s) use exercise in their marketing to suggest that it’s OK to eat rubbish as long as you’re active. And the focus on calorie counting can make people obsess over number of calories rather than think more about the quality and nutiritonal value of foods. I think he also subscribes to the ‘all calories aren’t equal’ thinking (look up Lustig and Taubes) and calorie counting doesn’t take this into account.

That makes sense as diets in this country are getting worse and so quickly.   I was shocked at the British athletes after they've done their competition a lot of them then head off the McD's to 'treat themselves', what sort of message does that give and of course with social media that message is getting out there to all the youngsters.  Years ago the athletics used to be sponsored by Mars but nobody was stuffing themselves with chocolate then.   There's also a new lot of folk taking up exercise and using that as an excuse to eat more and of the unhealthy stuff too.

When my friend and I were in Galway we were wandering round the city on the Saturday, it was a warm sunny day, it's a busy and vibrant city with a high % of young folk.   We had a coffee sitting by the quay just people watching and my friend said 'do you notice what's different here' (as opposed back in UK) and it was that there were very few obese folk and a lot less overweight too.  Yet Ireland thinks they do have a problem with obesity and they are tackling it.  The UK eats more crisps/snacks and ready meals than any other country in Europe and are the fattest too.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, when I went to Warsaw about 10 years it was really noticeable how slim everyone was too. But boy did they drink a lot of vodka!!
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    SK - That 100 steps plan is really interesting!

Also noted the number of ballot entries for London!! Not great odds, but you have to be in it to win it and all that!! Not even sure if I want to do a Spring marathon, as may focus on a half again for the first part of the year.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well vodka must be the obesity cure then. :'(   

I just googled obesity crisis Europe and the WHO has forecast Ireland to be the fattest by 2030 even though UK is fatter than Ireland now.  Not sure how some of these stats/forecasts are made.

They say that when you see any old news footage now on telly you don't need to guess when it was filmed by the age of the cars but by how slim everyone is.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - a while ago there was a schedule around the RW forum, 10 weeks to 100mpw, it looked so easy...but wasn't

You can always defer if you get a VLM ballot place.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
  • mamafox, people often ask us why we run and why we bother... sound like Blaye is one of the reasons.  Don't be fixed on those stats, they could be quality miles you've done this year and the added weight muscle ;-) if it aint just keep telling yourself it it!

Cal, I've only done a few of runthrough events but they are good value and regular you can pretty much decide to run them on the day or a few days before. The 10k in hyde park is August, will probably incorp a few beers in London if the weathers good.  Glad to ready you getting through the class no issues.

Ian, no surprise with VLM have made other plans but be nice if it did fall on my doorstep.

SK nice range of books there! I need to get some reading for Turkey, looks like you're sorted for a but, may keep an eye out over the next week, currently I have a subscription for weebly magazine and have years worth of runners world and other mags but theres little interest in most of them.

shades coconut water was just a sponsor and the race organisers made a few £££ it was a pretty expensive and awful event which no longer run.  Hope the cold does one and you make the start line.

Big G, I started listening to MT 3 years ago, I've not heard the last episode yet, I am trying to catch all episodes and have about 170 to catch up on.  I'll be listening to one show in 2013 then one from 2018 and Tom contradicts all the time.  One person I'm not a huge fan is Holly Bush she made a big talk about how social media is ruining running and people only promote highlights of their running and sometimes staged their photos (seen a lot of this from people I know), then bangs on about #asicsfrontrunner where people are given asics kit and races to promote asics and blog and post pics. 

As for MFP I have used it before and it does work, I just don't stick by it, dunno if that me or that its just not sustainable?.  Its great for counting calories and as long as you're educated and informed of good and bad food choices it's not too bad.  The problem is when people don't know good and bad choices and won't get enough nutrition out of the wrong foods hence the anger.  But next weeks show he'll probably love it!

8 miles steady for me this morning before work.  Have decided to swap a PB attempt or fast effort at parkrun for an easy parkrun or just a run as no point doing anything that may hurt before next weeks 50.  Prob do an easy 10-13 miles on sunday.    

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Robert, yeah MFP worked well for me as well.  I kept it up for quite a while, but don't use it any more as I don't feel I really need to.  It was a wake up call as to how many calories are in certain foods, but I ate healthily with it and used it to balance against what running/gym work I was doing at the time.  

I know one thing Tom's changed his mind on is the use of gels etc.  When he was doing Ironman he says he used to stuff gels down him and I believe he even wrote a University study about their use (in a positive way), but he's totally changed his mind on that and is more about overall health now, from what I can understand.  I do sometimes wonder though if he's changed his mind at least partly because he's got slower over time - I.E., if he was still quick, would he still be using the gels?  Don't know.  One thing I do agree with him on is the state of elite running; he often goes off on rants about that, but I agree with him when he says that elite sport is basically broken on many levels.  I do smile when he says that his default setting is basically Homer Simpson, which is where him and Martin differ drastically as I think he's ran pretty much all his life.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Right, Robert - in that case I might be joining you as I've no races planned for July or August (yet!) Assuming I don't drop dead in Liverpool, of course.

Shades - hope you get rid of that cold.

Today was always planned at the rest day but I've felt a bit below par again. I've been out for a walk and I napped this afternoon (well, slept, if I'm being honest - woke up feeling pretty groggy). I'm hoping I feel chipper enough tomorrow to do a parkrun, since I look forward to them.
    Saw a few interesting things on my walk - the Egyptian geese have a gaggle of goslings (I counted 7, barely bigger than ducklings at this point, and very similar to look at). I know they won't all make it - last year was the first time I've seen any get to adult-size, due to the murderous swans who live in the same pond.
    I also came across a lady taking photos of something and noticed a terrapin chilling on a log next to a duck. Apparently there are terrapins in the pond now - someone must have dumped some pets there at some point.
  • I agree with MFP it's a great way to get an idea of calories in food.  Think weighing up how much effort it would take to lose half a stone or so against how much difference it would make and would it be worth the sacrifice I don't bother.

Didn't know Tom was big on gels, I know when they did Manchester marathon about 4 years ago in around 2.50 (so not slow) he took on only a few sips of water and no gels.  What Tom used to mention with ironman is by the time you get to the run you have a 7000 kcal deficit which then asking to run a marathon on is impossible so gels probably more important.  It's great entertainment at times like two old ladies bickering.  Some of the interviews blow me away at times.

Cal if you fancy a run out the city by local July 8th 10miles/10k mix of road, river path and trail http://ware10s.co.uk/ nice and cheap with medal and shirt, cake and coffee plus loads of pubs in ware after!!!!  With Liverpool any chance of dropping down to the half if that's an option?

Shades/ anyone, I've seen a decent price (£70) for some Saucony Hurricanes anyone know anything about them?

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think maybe I'd have had to be at the cinema to appreciate that poem.  My immediate thoughts are distance runners don't get lactic acid and you couldn't run with torn ligaments, sorry.

Robert - Hurricanes are good shoes, on my 'wanted shoe list', but never tried them myself.   I have a friend that's run 500+ marathons and all of them in Hurricanes.  They're high mileage so hard wearing.

MFP or any other app or plan that helps folk understand what and how much they're eating is a good educational tool. 

Even if you want to avoid sugar it's very hard if you need some fast acting carbs and they do say the only times that it is OK to eat sugars is during or immediately after an endurance event.   But of course the sugars don't have to be gels.   My main grievance about gels is that most don't contain any electrolytes so the user is being royally ripped off for a bit of sugar, they could buy some sweets for a tenth of the price and those sweets would have the same effect as the gels.  Marketing hype.

Cal - glad the geese have produced another batch of goslings, hope the nasty swans stay away, nature is cruel.

Not like you to have a couple of race free months although I know this summer you'll be marathon training.

Well I've had another miserable night with my cold and still have a sore throat too, RHR up to 60 now so I am going to have to stay home and miss Hereford marathon.   Shame as it's a gorgeous course and I was so looking forward to running it again.   So looks like I will lose at least another week's training too due to this cold, not great DD prep :'( 

Good luck to mamafox today at Blaye and anyone else racing this weekend too.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the good luck wishes! Just arrived now and about to put tent up. Well OH is. I am going to find something important to do.
    I am not in fancy dress (at nearly 2kg overweight Cal there is no way I am getting a bikini on) but will try and post a photo on later. 
    Good news is that it is not hot, bad news is that I have a blister from some summer shoes I put on for the first time yesterday. Argh.

That’s a bugger about Hereford Shades. You must be disappointed. Rest up today and I hope you feel better soon.

Good running everyone, will post a bit later if my thumb is still working.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ha ha, fair enough Shades.  Really sorry to hear of another DNS.  :(  

Best of luck MF - I hope you have a good event.

I did a speed session last night, for the first time in weeks!  It was just a 12x45sec session, with 45sec recovery.  It actually went okay, although I was hanging on at the end.  I didn't run all day, but then 6pm came and I just fancied a short run so did that, and the benefit is that it's all done and dusted in under 30-mins, with a warm up and cool down.

It'll be parkrun today, and then Claire's school are organising the fourth 10K in her memory, which is taking place tomorrow.  Hopefully the weather will be okay for it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - have a great run.

Big G - that's your favourite speed session isn't it?

Hope all goes well tomorrow at Claire's 10km race, I'd come along but think I'm still infectious and wouldn't do that to other runners.   Forecast is good for tomorrow, flipping cold this morning though, only 3 degrees  :(
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, it's my favourite "quick" speed session as I've found it doesn't particularly break me.  I think my favourite interval sessions though are 1K or 1-mile intervals, but haven't done those for a long time.  Obviously they're done at a slower pace than the 45-sec efforts, so they don't tend to break me either, and I do think I get a lot of benefit from those.  I do try and keep my form and make sure I'm not flagging at the end, but the last couple yesterday I was hanging on, so obviously went out too quickly at the start!  I still haven't converted that to a sub-20 5K though, which is still on my "to do" list.   I've missed the first two races of the local 5K series, and I'll miss the 3rd no doubt, as it's the Tuesday after DD.  Fingers crossed I'll get along to July's, and promptly find out how much work I've got to do!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    My favourite interval session is mile splits too.   

You're maybe just a bit out of practice of doing short fast intervals having done a lot of longer stuff this year.

5km race 2 days after DD would be tortuous, don't even think about it.  :'( 

Connemara date announced for next year 14th April and €10 off early bird entries before the end of May, just in case anyone fancies this amazing race, half, full and ultra.   Just be careful as they're still using active.com for entries, so wouldn't risk a debit card, credit card is safer.   They've offered me alternative method of entry.

http://www.connemarathon.com/
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I definitely won't do that after DD!!  I did a 5K last year the Tuesday after City to Sea in 20:16 I think it was and although I was pleased with the time, I could feel the marathon in my legs towards the end.  Definitely won't even attempt it after DD!

I did just over 9 today including parkrun between 23 and 24mins.  I had a great run but the parkrun bit was tough!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - that's a good morning's run today.   You'll be running the 10k tomorrow too I guess.

I'm feeling a little better, just enough to be wasting time on internet shopping.  Just spent what I would have spent on petrol/food this weekend if I wasn't grounded, feeble excuse I know. :/
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'll be running the 10K tomorrow, but won't be racing it as such.  Should take me up to about 60-miles for the week, but of course that includes Monday's marathon as well.  Still, I'll be quite happy with around 34 training miles the week after a double in any case, as often my mileage is less than that after one marathon, let alone two.

Good excuse there Shades ;)  I've been hovering over September's Cream Tea double and also August's Plym Trail double, but something is holding me back.  They're local so I feel I should do them for the numbers in some ways, but I'm not sure.  Plenty of time yet, so I'll have more of a think about it.  It's tricky as I don't really want to get into doing them "just for the numbers", but of course the 100 is a goal, so I do have the numbers in mind.  Maybe I'll end up doing just one of each weekend, but not sure at the moment.

I am considering getting rid of my Yeovil marathon place though, which as you know is the week after DD.  I booked it as a back up incase I decided to DNS DD, but I'll be making the start line of DD (barring injury/illness of course).  I've been in touch with them and I can transfer my number, but maybe I'd like to do it anyway, and just plod around it as best I can?  It was quite a cheap race so maybe I'll just keep it and see how I feel after DD.  Again...not sure at the moment!  
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, Shades, but best not to thrash your immune system so close to DD.

I did go to parkrun today. I picked a new one, Highbury Fields (in north London, but it's a very straightforward tube journey) which holds the record for the most laps (5 and a bit!). The park is on a hill - admittedly  not a steep hill - but you go up it six times and it gets wearing towards the end. Good practise for Liverpool. My Garmin measured it short but that always seems to be the way with multi-lap events. Then again, it could have been a little short, I don't know. I ran it in 26:29 which is a respectable time. (I was 2nd in age group - the 1st 50-something lady was only 10 seconds in front of me, I found out later). I did Burgess parkrun nearly a minute quicker the week before Manchester, but Burgess is flat, and I wasn't ill just before. I think I only managed one sub-27 parkrun last year, so I seem to be getting back on form despite the shingles.