My Last Run

Comments

• Excellent news, Andrea! Top running.

Well, my throat full of glass shards woke me at 4am and I'm coughing like a b*stard, so I have had to withdraw from my 18 mile race tomorrow. Symptoms 'below the neck' gave me no option really. Gutted as had trained hard for it and it was my bridge distance before I step up to a Marathon. There we are. First world problems.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done, Andrea!
    Will, I'm so sorry. That's not a common distance, but is there another race you can do when you're better? There's Chester metric marathon, but that's not until October and you'd have to travel (though, by all accounts, Chester is a very scenic race which is why I'm doing the marathon this year).

I also went to parkrun. I didn't feel great yesterday and took a rest day but I was OK to run today and opted for Highbury Fields, which is a new one for me. It's 5 and a bit laps of a small park on the side of a hill. The hill isn't by any means steep but what seems like a gentle incline on the first lap gets more arduous as you go on. I did 26:29 which is respectable for me, although my Garmin measured it short (that could be cause of the laps, I don't know). Age group 2nd this time - I found out from the results that the 1st was 10 seconds ahead of me. Grrr.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I've had a couple of weeks of stomach pain, tension and unhappiness (the Ken Dodd B-side), and god knows I'm not alone in that. I blame pollen and creeping death. Free day yesterday which I slept through. Bit over 13.2miles today in 1hr36:30. Strange run as slow to start then caught up with myself after mile 3 so ended up a sprightly HM. The benefit of a day of rest. A nice warm day, not windy, but a wall of bugs getting in every accessible orifice.
    Hope you're all okay, not feeling too rough, and as a bonus running well. My playlist has been endless podcasts on US politics - I am simultaneously sick to death and insatiably fascinated by the Trump era. Good luck with the interview Will, and the marathon Hazel. Enjoy NY Andrea. Never been but a friend described it as "a slightly less shit Blackpool". I like Blackpool so that's a positive.
  • Ran the Bath Skyline today (6m). No watch, just returning from an ultra marathon a couple of weeks ago!
  • So Cal you run near me? I use Highbury Fields for tempo and tempo interval runs. Haven't done the parkrun there for some time. Its similar to Finsbury parkrun in that you mustn't over exert at the beginning and be careful to hold your pace on the down slope as you will need it on the up. Thats what I like about 5k and 10k they are all about thinking when your basically sprinting. Terrifying...

Still the evening run was 4.5 miles at 8:20 min/mi. Should have been slower to make it more of a recovery run....but > 9min/mi pace in the rain makes you feel even wetter. Best get it over with and slow it up the next day.

11 miles tomorrow come rain or come shine. Its going to rain...
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Tooting Common is my local, but it's so crowded now I've started touring some of the others. Highbury's a straightforward tube trip so that was an easy one to do. I've done Finsbury as well.

Welcome, twoplustwo. Which ultra?

Good run today. Conventional wisdom is that you shouldn't run too far or too fast the week before a marathon but I needed a confidence boost after the shingles so I did a 12 mile run via the Brockwell route (119m of climb - not too different to the first 12 miles of Liverpool) and as I felt quite good, I went a bit quicker than I did on my long runs. Averaged 10:25 but that included the two warm-up miles and most of the miles on the return leg were faster. There, confidence restored. :)
    I have to say, Brockwell Park looks much nicer with some flowers out than it did when I was battling through the sleet in January.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    In my student days, I was a regular visitor to Brockwell Park - just down the road from Denmark Hill where I lived.  Can't ever recall seeing anyone running, either in the park or on the road.  The boom had yet to arrive.  Went to some good concerts there but *might* have had the odd snifter or two as well....
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I grew up in Camberwell (though on the Peckham side - in fact mine was the last road in SE5 as the one parallel was SE15) but I knew the area pretty well. I imagine much has changed over the years. I do have fond recollections of the Lambeth County Show held there when I was a kid. I think it's still held even now.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Well done on your parkruns Cal and Andrea. 

Nice 12 miler Cal.  Liverpool is next week isn't?  The last couple of weeks have gone by fast.

Sorry to hear you had to DNS Will but if you are not well then that was the right decision. Good luck for your interview!

Nice HM JT.

Welcome twoplustwo.

3:36:31 for me today which I am very pleased with as the undulations were tough and I lost a minute or so to a pitstop.. (new race experience..).  Last 3-4 miles were hard work against the wind. 
  • > @"Cal Jones" said:
    > Tooting Common is my local, but it's so crowded now I've started touring some of the others. Highbury's a straightforward tube trip so that was an easy one to do. I've done Finsbury as well.
    >
    > Welcome, twoplustwo. Which ultra?
    >
    > Good run today. Conventional wisdom is that you shouldn't run too far or too fast the week before a marathon but I needed a confidence boost after the shingles so I did a 12 mile run via the Brockwell route (119m of climb - not too different to the first 12 miles of Liverpool) and as I felt quite good, I went a bit quicker than I did on my long runs. Averaged 10:25 but that included the two warm-up miles and most of the miles on the return leg were faster. There, confidence restored. :)
    > I have to say, Brockwell Park looks much nicer with some flowers out than it did when I was battling through the sleet in January.

Hey Cal, it was The Fox Ultra, which is a 60k loop around Guildford. I am going to try and parlay the endurance base into a better (for me anyway, my best is 3h 33m) marathon time at the end of the summer.

I agree that everything feels a bit easier at the moment now that the winter is over! A much needed boost after shingles I bet...
  • 11 miles of playing out, Round the park and up and down the old railway line
    Last 3 miles at 7:01 min/mi pace running with a another runner. Not too silly fast as we were both able to talk in complete sentences. We parted on a handshake, a curiously adult thing to do when we had just been running like kids. 
    Hope you have been running like a kid today:)
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    An otherwise unremarkable ten-mile darkrun was enlivened by the sight of a couple with a Shetland pony and a lightweight 'trap' on Crosby beach, admiring one of the Iron Men.  Made me smile.  :)
  • Fantastic marathon time, Hazelnut - great effort! If I can do that + an hour I'll be happy.

Still feeling crappy, so no running, but job interview went well. 

Aim: to be fit enough to run with my Dad on his debut Parkrun (aged 73) this Saturday.

Run like the wind, MLRers!
    I run, therefore I am.
    Well done on your interview Will - I hope you get the results you want.  Good luck to your dad on his parkrun debut for Saturday.

3 gentle recovery miles at lunchtime.  I try to do a short recovery the day after a tough race and then have a couple of days off as I tend to get less DOMS on race day + 2 that way.   Legs obviously very tired but no real niggles (or I wouldn't have gone out) and after a cautious start I was able to trot along at recovery pace.  
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Wow Hazel!! That is a fabulous time! You should be very very proud and hopefully that puts the record straight after the last disaster. I hope the legs are OK today?
    Andrea, great parkrunning.
    Cal, you're also running very well ATM
    Swittle, Will, both sounding rather glum. My only advice when life is grim is to keep on running.  And try not to listen to Leonard Cohen. He'll make you feel worse.
    Will, shame about your race. That is so frustrating! Do a half instead, at least you can use that fitness you've built up.
    Stephen, some speedy miles for you. I"m a north east London girl, not far from you from the sound of things
    Me- I've had several cracking swims including a lido one at London Fields. Then I went away camping with the old man at the weekend to one of our fave sites on the Blackwater estuary, which is an hour's drive away.  Had a great wild trail run along the coast- around 6 miles. I love that part of the world.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Amazing job, Hazelnut! That is a time I could only dream of (honestly, I'll have my work cut out getting under 4, if I even ever do).

Isn't London Fields heated, Nessie? The one thing that puts me off swimming in Tooting Bec is that it's not, and I am a real wimp when it comes to cold water. I guess I will have to get over that. The trail run sounded nice.

Will, you'll be fine for Saturday. Plenty of time. :)

Swittle, that sounds nice. I used to see gypsy traps on Tooting Common from time to time but it's been a few years. I am rather fond of the iron men, too.

Stephen - not quite although I did run into a kid today (a toddler on a tricycle, who was coming around a corner at the same time I was). Fortunately we both got off unscathed with lots of sorries from myself and the kid's mother.

I actually had a terrific run today. Perfect blue sky, warm sun, cool breeze and a bounce in my legs (I did rest yesterday). I ended up doing 6 miles with 3 at MP. Fortunatley the child incident happened in my cool-down mile - I might have knocked him (or her - hard to tell under the bike helmet) over.

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    I think I've missed some stuff. Nice to hear about the iron men again  swit. Hazel, sounds like a good idea and I shall remember that tip if and when I ever do another 26.2.
    Will, what was the interview for?
    Great running Cal. Not long to go now :-)
    Me- 6 am outing was great today.  5k at what was supposed to be tempo pace but we ended up chatting.  Plus couple of miles warm up / cool down. Best time of day to run. And this comes from one who loves a lie in!
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell Hazel, you didn't hang around to take in the scenery on that marathon. Envy inducing time.
    3.3mile treadmill high incline Sunday. Today another HM very similar to last time. 13.3miles in bit under 1hr36. Beautiful day out and I seem to have acclimatised pretty well. Went past a man celebrating with his gut out, fag on, can of lager, heavily pregnant girlfriend, shouting into a phone. All I could make out on the way past was "insufficient fookin' evidence!" - Congratulations.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    How charming, JT. Back when I moved to Balham I used to encounter the odd prostitute in the woods on the common, sometimes with a client, but these days I rarely see anything more exciting than the odd joint smoker.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Four miles recovery run after a particularly rubbish sleep (woke up before 4am, couldn't get back to sleep because I was too hot). Dragged most of the way around as a result but, other than that, legs feel OK. Got more smiles than normal at that time of the morning - perhaps people get friendlier as it gets warmer and lighter.
  • Fast half there, JT, and wonderful social commentary. 
    The improved weather definitely lightens my mood, Cal, but maybe people just like smiling at you.
    I got the job, Nessie, at a training centre for 16-19 yr olds. I'll be teaching them functional skills, basically getting their maths and English levels up, ready for apprenticeships and the workplace. Should be interesting and means I have finally escaped the state system (for now anyway).
    I've been to the docs today as now in day 10 of my manflu. She wasn't sure whether it's viral or a chest infection, so I'm to start antibiotics if it doesn't shift by Friday. Still on for Parkrun with my Dad on Saturday.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Sorry to hear you were unwell Will. Enjoy parkrun with your Dad.

Hazel, incredible marathon time!

Cal, great running after your illness.

Nessie, I love swimming too, but like Cal, it has to be warm!

So...greetings from NYC! Last full day today and I’m off for a run in Central Park.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Fantastic news, Will! Do you start in September or before that?

Andrea, have a blast!
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Will :-)
    Andrea, enjoy the rest of it!
    Cal, boo to crap sleep!
    JT, good spot. I prefer your nature ones 
    Me- great social 7 mile club run this evening in Epping Forest. Getting a little lost in the brambles and thickets added some extra excitement (and scratches). Just the ticket after a particularly shitty day
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Ness, hope tomorrow is less shit. Congratulations Will, and hope you feel better soon. Sleep easy Cal.
    10.1miles on/offroad bit over 1hr13 this evening. Much cooler but some late sun emerged and the wind had died down. Another run averaging out at 7min teens pace after a slow start. Must be in that phase at the moment but will get tired if I keep putting in long miles the same speed. Stopped to look at some baby cows. Neighbour's cat follows me about meowing until I sit down so he can sleep on my lap. I feel like a hectored camp bed.
    Great news on the job Will.  Must compensate a bit for missing the 18miler.  Better than mashing yourself up in that when not well and then messing up the interview for sure.

JT - you would be quicker over a mara for sure but I know you don't race and I'm not going to start to try to talk you into it ;-). I like the way you look around you when out running.

Hope you had a good run in NYC Andrea.

Good swimming and running by Nessie.

Cal hope you can get some good sleep in before the weekend.  Can you "powernap"?

A gentle 5 miler in 00:48:25 at recovery pace this morning.  Legs felt ok, rest was a bit tired.  I am aiming to get into the habit of running early but I am not really a morning runner.   Cool and foggy, felt more like November just looks a bit greener.  The frogs in the pond were quite subdued.  
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    JT's feline companion returns :-)
    Hazel- I love frogs and still get excited like a kid when I see one
    Me-  popped out at lunch to try some 1k reps. Felt like a slog but I don't think I've every done a run I've regretted

Nice reps Nessie.  I initially read "I felt like a slug" :D Must have some deeper association with the frogs.. 

No run for me until tomorrow but just dropping in to wish Cal good luck and good travelling for Liverpool.    
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks. :)
    Well, I felt great on Sunday and Tuesday. Right now I feel under the weather again. Not ill, exactly, but not great. I don't know if this is post-shingles tiredness or another virus, but I hope it buggers off. I did do a run today - 4 miles easy plus strides. Legs are fine, at least.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Long run today and bloody hard work it was. 22.9miles on/offroad but in two parts. At 20.2miles running up a hill got a stitch, knew there was a bench up ahead overlooking the race course. Races were on so sat for a few minutes just in time to follow a race on the big screens and watch the horses come down the finishing straight. Had earlier seen helicopters buzzing about and was perched just above where they were parked. Anyway, another 2.75miles home. Overall pace around 7:55m/m. Lots of tractor dodging on narrow roads, a couple of dead predatory birds in the verges, bunnies, and a squirrel having an issue in a hedge. Took water, gels and tried some new chewable energy sweets. Only ate two and several miles later cleared my nose and blew half of one of them out my nostril. Knackered.