Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I think I am "lucky" in one way as they only seem to be able to take out about £50 at a time (1,000,000 in Indonesian money).  I know someone who stayed in Indonesia for 3 months and spent 1,500,000 on accommodation for that period, so £50 is quite a lot.  It's a bit odd that the transactions weren't automatically flagged up by the card issuer though.

Shades, great that the cold/cough seems to be shifting.  Finger crossed you can do a run tomorrow.

Nothing much to report here from a running point of view, except I think I'm going to take a rest day today.  After last Monday's marathon I took one rest day, but have since ran 6 days in a row, so a rest day won't do me any harm.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - maybe as you usually use that card abroad it didn't alert the card issuer as you do travel a fair bit. 

My bank has a facility on their website where you state the countries you are visiting, this is a much to allow odd foreign transactions as to not allow those from any other countries.   I don't use it as I never take that credit card abroad and wouldn't use a debit card abroad unless I had to use a cash machine. 

I think you do deserve a rest day :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Talking of credit card fraud, I see a journalist from the Sunday Times has picked up on the Active.com credit card scamming debacle and is collecting data/interviews.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Shades, glad you're sleeping better. :)

Ian/Big G - what time are you aiming for?

Whilst beating my Manchester time (4:18:21) would be amazing, I think it's unlikely due to the shingles downtime (not to mention the warmer temp and more undulating profile). I would be happy with anything under 4:30 and, failing that, beating last year's time (which i think was 4:37:55 or thereabouts). By the way, I am number 7056 and I am in corral 7.

Speaking of the shingles, I seem to be edging closer to 100%. I took a full rest day yesterday (I wasn't all that tired but after parkrun and the 12 miler I thought it prudent) so I was full of beans today. My legs felt light and bouncy and the weather was absolutely gorgeous (blue skies and pleasantly warm but with a cool breeze) so I actually did 6 miles with 3 MP miles in the middle. And I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Big G a year will be impressive, I'm going to Fullers Brewery on Tuesday so if I haven't drunk by then I will be.

Decided to rest the legs yesterday and today, just stretch and roll the calves.  They don't seem to be so tight today and may test with an easy effort tomorrow.

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian / Big G / Cal - Good luck at Liverpool (getting it in early in case I forgot later in the week!!).
    Shades - Good news the cold/cough seems to be easing.
    Robert - Good luck at NDW!!
    MF - Missed you off my last post, but congrats at Blaye marathon. That was a good time, as I know you didn't get the training in that you wanted.

Another easy 6 miles today to keep the legs ticking over.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I'm not sure what corral I'm in (I'm picking my number up in Liverpool), but I know my race number is 2324.  I'm not sure about my time really; definitely aiming for under 4hrs, but then I said that for North Dorset!  I'm not planning on "racing" it as such, and want to enjoy the day really, but yes I'd be pleased with a sub-4.  Really my attention is on Dartmoor Discovery now so want to get to that feeling fresh.  Great news that you enjoyed your run today - that bodes well for Liverpool!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You might be in corral 2, then Big G - I'm thinking the first number corresponds to the corral. Corral 2 is where the 3:15 pacer is starting so if you put your PB down, it's possible. The 4:15 pacer is in my corral (4:30 is in the one behind) so I guess I'm running with him again, at least for a time (it's the same guy as Manchester - at least that's what he said).
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I just checked my race entry and I put 3:30 down, which was representative at the time as I did that time a couple of weeks before I entered (I entered this race on Xmas Eve, which feels a long time ago now!!).  It's a strange one as the Half runners go off an hour earlier than the marathon runners; personally, I'd prefer the earlier start for the marathon, as a 10am start could start to get hot again.  Really looking forward to the weekend though.  I've got loads planned with the WAY lot, seeing Ian, and hoping to catch up with two club mates on the Sunday evening too.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades/Cal-Sounds like you are both on the road to recovery.
    Cal-No idea on time if I'm honest,only gone over 13 miles once since January so clearly no endurance,think if I get under 4 I'll have to be happy with it.My recent half was 1:38 so allowing for a massive fade I could get under 4.
    Really warm here again today so hoping it cools down a bit before Sunday.
  • LoueyLouey ✭✭✭

Shades – so sorry you had to DNS Hereford. You are not having much luck this year with illness and injury. Hope things are looking up now though.

BigG – nightmare about your card being cloned. It's happened to me a few times (clearly I use it far too much) and the bank has picked it up quickly each time. I've never had an issue getting the money back but obviously it’s a hassle you could do without. Glad Claire's 10k went well. Can't believe it's the 4th one already :o Good luck for Sunday! Steve – sounds like the training has gone well. Are you coping with the taper madness?  ;) Mamafox – I can't believe you just rock up to marathons and get that time! Sad you didn't run in fancy dress though, I was rather looking forward to the picture! I'm not sure I would be up for camping though, I like my bed at the best of times, but even more so after a marathon. Cal – the very best of luck for Liverpool on Sunday! You've done so well to recover from shingles, I hope you really enjoy it.Robert – good luck to you for NDW. I also have had issues with my OH getting a little annoyed about all the training so I sympathise.  I run my long run on a Friday (cram 5 days work into 4 to do it) so that it doesn't impact the weekend. I can get away with it once in a while but he does get cross if every Sunday morning is taken up with a long run. Plus I like a drink so this way I can get my long run out of the way before the weekend begins. Which probably is not at all sensible but there you go. Ian – good luck for Sunday – I'm sure your overall fitness will get you through ok.

Jelly – Sorry you are still struggling. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be having to ditch races and not having a clear idea what the injury is. I think switching to cycling for a while is a good plan.

SK – blimey – I hadn't realised you were struggling. Could it have been a virus? Some of those can take ages to shift. Ectopic beats are more common than you think, many people have them and usually they are of no significance.  I know how worrying it must be but hopefully your recent times are more encouraging? How long are you likely to have to wait for an appointment? You have my sympathies with all the exams going on. We only have SATS here and that's bad enough.  And youngest is not really aware that he is even doing SATS (assuming his big brother doesn’t tell him).

Ticking over miles here. My left Achilles is still bothering me and I should probably get some physio but have a severe lack of time at the moment to sort anything out. I went out this morning before work for nearly 6 miles but I'm very sluggish this week so only averaging 9.30 min/miles and that wasn't that easy.  We have however got back into Parkrun again after a few months break. All 5 of us are running it. One of us runs with one twin, and the other runs with the 6yr old stubborn one. The other twin (ironically the one with special needs) now runs on his own (having just turned 11). Now admittedly the weather has been good the past couple of weeks but all 3 kids have got PBs. Hopefully we will be back again on Saturday.

Otherwise, house renovations continue. We are moving in less than 5 weeks and still have no kitchen although allegedly they are starting to fit it on Thursday. At the moment there is only half a ceiling in place and the floor has big holes in it…

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Louey, I have to say, the card issuer has been very helpful.  There was a delay as they unfortunately had to wait for all the "pending transactions" to go through before they could raise  a case (they cancelled the card straight away though, and have sent a replacement).  That was annoying as I could see the cash leaving my account each day, and there was nothing they - or I - could do.  Apparently this is because the fraudsters were drawing cash out at ATMs, and the card issuer can't stop those transactions.  I'll be getting a full refund in due course though, thankfully.

As it happens, I had my eye on a couple of house "projects" at an auction, but I didn't bid.  I've done some small property projects in my time (replacing kitchens and bathrooms, but nothing too big) so I am interested, but it has to be for what I consider the "right price" for me.  The thing I found was that builders could bid a bit higher, presumably knowing that they'd be doing the work themselves, whereas I would have to get people in to do certain things, which adds to the costs for me and I was considering with what my bid would have been.  Sounds like you're enjoying your running though, on top of everything else you've got going on.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Big G - yeah, I'd prefer the marathon start first, but I think their rationale is to avoid the fast half people getting held up by the slow marathon people. But it is quite tough running past the finish area and seeing all the half runners with their medals when you still have more than half way to go. :/
    Liverpool is looking quite warm - 15 to 19 degrees during the time I'll be running. The good thing is that a lot of it, particularly in the second half, is through parks where the trees offer a nice amount of shade.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

Cal - you seem to be flying right now, just in time for Liverpool! Maybe you will surprise yourself with the time. Glad you are over the shingles now.

Ian - glad your found parking OK and congratulations on the win!

Big G - just shows how much travelling you do if the card issuer didn’t pick that up! They’d be right on the ‘phone if it was me as I haven’t left the country this year. :(

Shades - I saw last night that those Soreen bars you like are on offer with Ocado right now. (Might mean they are at Waitrose too). Hope you are OK to run tomorrow.

Louey - annoying re the Achilles, that’s a pesky injury (and why does my ‘phone always capitalise it?!) I get the 24-hr monitor in about 3 weeks time, but am going to try and change the date so that it coincides with a track session (so more likely pick anything up). Hopefully all will be OK, but just want to get checked as my dad has some kind of arrhythmia that was detected when he started struggling with running. Thanks Max not at all stressed re the SATs, in fact his cockiness is annoying me - keeps saying it’s to test the teachers not him! V jealous that you are able to get your whole family to parkrun, really impressive! We manage to drag Max along once a month if we are lucky and have given up with the older two. But I did take advantage of his enthusiasm post the mini-marathon to take him along to the local athletics club. He’s really enjoying the sessions - last night they did 9x200m plus some hills! I noted that one of the 12 year olds was running them with weights on his ankles! 

My OH used to winge a bit about the time I spend running and racing. Funny though as since he’s been running, he likes to do trail runs and races which take more time as invariably involve more time in the car! 

Not much to report here running wise. Did my fitness class last night and hoping to do club road run tonight.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SK, I think the only time I've had a call (not with this card) was when I went to Silverstone for the F1.  I bought some goods from three different stalls but it turned out the stall holders were all based in different countries and so the funds were going through different countries in a matter of minutes, and my bank was a bit confused!  I was trying to buy something from the 3rd stall and my bank called me literally seconds after the payment got declined, and it was so quick to authorise that the chap swiped my card again and it went through there and then.  I was quite surprised how smooth it was, actually.

Cal, yeah, that's presumably the reason for the later marathon start.  We just have to get on with it I suppose!  I was just thinking back to Malta where the marathon went off 1.5hrs (I think) before the Halfs, which was much better.  Mind you, that wasn't a two lap race.  Milton Keynes we all started together and the pens were released at 5-minute intervals which helped with congestion.  On that, the Half split off at around 7-miles and actually did a different route from there.

I'm hoping to do a parkrun on the Saturday and have just been looking into it.  There's one 1.5m from my hotel, so I think I may walk to the park, trot around it, and then walk back.  I'm closing in my 100 now as I've currently done 95, so if I can do one in Liverpool that would be great.  Looking at my profile I've only currently done 6 different routes, so it'll be nice to tick another one off if I can.
  • Ian- Haha, who are Chester lol, for all my sins I'm actually a Leeds United fan so not much for me to celebrate in a long time.
    Shades- yeah feeling a lot better, think the stretching is having a benefit. Thought I would test the legs so went to the gym on the treadmill and done 5 miles in total which included 6×600m at just under 7min mile pace then walked the mile home legs felt really good.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Liverpool's not two laps, fortunately - but we do pass the finish at around 11 miles before disappearing off to run the part the halfers don't get to do. Fortuantely most of the climbing is done by halfway - there's a little bit of up and down but it's net downhill from then on.
    On a football related note, I was surprised at how close Liverpool and Everton are to each other - literally on either side of a park.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Did people see the BBC2 Attenborough documentary last night about pangolins?  That Vietnamese organisation that was featured heavily is where I spent some time last year.  Strange seeing them all on TV!  Good memories, and it's great to see the plight of pangolins being brought more into the spot light.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - you seem to be enjoying your taper :) 

Louey - that's great that the whole family do parkrun and you've worked out a way that you can all run.

Be careful with that achilles, check your non running shoes are not aggravating it and stopping it healing.

Must be hectic with your move planned for 5 weeks and kitchen not yet complete :o   I'm sure it will all be done in time.

Big G - maybe time to step away using a debit card especially overseas.

That's exciting re the property project, will we see you with Dion Dublin on HUTH soon?    

SK - well spotted with the Soreen bars, I don't use Ocado and I don't shop at Waitrose, there is a small one a few miles away but maybe won't be stocked in the smaller branches.   I'll look in Sainsburys as I go there occasionally as they are listed as a stockist on Soreen's website.

steven - keep up with that strength work, you should be on for a good run at Alloa.

Had a good night's sleep and RHR back to normal this morning so went out for a run.   But although I ran without any coughing or discomfort of any sort I still don't feel 100% and feel very low on energy.   After I finished my throat seems sore again so I suspect that I have/had a minor throat infection as well as the cold. But it was good to be out again and maybe I'll bounce back in the next couple of days.

Got my order delivered from Wiggle yesterday, haven't used them for years, although their customer service is brilliant I've never found them that competitive for shoes.  But good to see that they still send out a mini bag of Haribos with each order :D
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Crappy sleep again - I woke up before 4am and I was much too hot to go back to sleep. I eventually gave up and got up just before 5, then got myself out for a run at 6. I did a 4 mile recovery run - really just a leg loosener. I felt tired all the way, due to the lack of sleep. I will take a rest day tomorrow (much as I enjoy the hot pilates class, it's much too intense to do so close to a marathon).

Glad you got out, Shades - sounds like you're a bit post-viral. I had good days and bad days following the shingles (poor sleep notwithstanding, I seem to have had a run of good days so I'm hoping that's it now) - some where I felt normal and some where I felt woozy and tired. Give it a few days and I'm sure you'll be back to normal soon enough.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Bit late with the marathon list today, I've had some work to do.....not paid work unfortunately

Cal - I think you're right, post viral making me not feel 100%.  I'm still hoping to run Worcester on Sunday though.

Big G - no, didn't see that programme.  Are things improving for the pangolins now?

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, they're still the most trafficked mammal in the world, unfortunately, even though most people have probably never heard of them, let alone seen one.  It's was a bit odd for me as I know a few of the Vietnamese guys on the program.  Attenborough did a documentary last week about orang-utans, and again I know one of the experts on there quite well - in fact, he came to Claire's 10K last week.  I had nothing to do with conservation in my day job, but these guys are so passionate about what they do; it's quite inspiring really.

Here's a 3-min clip about last night's program, which shows a bit about why they're the most trafficked animal (not nice to see) and what is going on in Vietnam and elsewhere to help protect the animals.  I'd love to go back, given the chance.  You may remember I managed convince them that they desperately needed my IT skills(!!), whereas usually volunteers have to pay to be a part of it.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p066wfqw

Good news you're back running and seem hopeful for Worcester this weekend.  It's a busy weekend again for Shadies!
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Louey - Not doing too bad with the taper, I feel like I've tapered better for this ultra than my last one where I think I tapered too much and got to the start feeling like I'd lost fitness.
    Shades - Good to hear you are feeling better.

7 miles with 2 at marathon pace today, obviously not running a marathon but kept the session in from my marathon taper. Felt good and MP miles came out (too fast) at 6:47/6:42.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big_G said:
    Shades, they're still the most trafficked mammal in the world, unfortunately, even though most people have probably never heard of them, let alone seen one.  It's was a bit odd for me as I know a few of the Vietnamese guys on the program.  Attenborough did a documentary last week about orang-utans, and again I know one of the experts on there quite well - in fact, he came to Claire's 10K last week.  I had nothing to do with conservation in my day job, but these guys are so passionate about what they do; it's quite inspiring really.

Here's a 3-min clip about last night's program, which shows a bit about why they're the most trafficked animal (not nice to see) and what is going on in Vietnam and elsewhere to help protect the animals.  I'd love to go back, given the chance.  You may remember I managed convince them that they desperately needed my IT skills(!!), whereas usually volunteers have to pay to be a part of it.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p066wfqw

Oh that's harrowing to watch :'(    I see the programme is on again on Saturday, I'll watch or record it then.

Steve - I think you've timed it right this time.   I can feel your excitement of being on that start line, hope it's not going to be too hot for you, should be gentle sea breezes there.   I've only been to Guernsey a couple of times, always had the most amazing seafood there.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, it's very sad.  The market is mainly in China I believe, where the scales are used in medicine, even though they are the same substance as our fingernails.  The thing is, the animals curl up in a ball when scared, which makes them very easy to pick up.  If you do end up watching it, the main guy in Vietnam came to Paignton Zoo last year, and I ferried him about a bit whilst he was here.  Also, the Vietnamese vet is who was trained by the Paignton Zoo vet whilst we were over there.  Part of what I was doing when I was there (as well as trying to sort out their IT) was collating and understanding lots of data they've got about local people's views on pangolins (i.e, do they seem them as pets?  Medicine?  Food? etc) in order to try and help sort out an education programme in the local areas.  If I could get back there for a few weeks I would in a heartbeat, but again I don't want to be a paying volunteer, if that makes sense.

Anyway, 5-miles at an easy pace this afternoon.  Had a nice run and was very tempted to carry on and do a few more miles, but I thought better of it what with the weekend coming.  I'll hopefully do a short run in the morning, and then I'm going to Devon County Show (never been before!!) before travelling to Liverpool on Friday :) 
  • Steven - hope the speed session goes well

Ian- unfortunately we work similar hours, even worse is she drives to work and I have the chore of public transport which adds 90 mins more out of the house each day

Shades - shoes are in the post still, prob wont get them before the weekend.  Just need the OH to get fit and enjoy her racing again so we can both race, I have offered booking a spa hotel before but she snubbed it (hard lot to please). Good to see cold is shifting.  I keep on seeing fraud on active.com... I've used it plenty of times but never been affected (touch wood)

Big G hope you enjoyed the rest day.

cal glad you feeling better, the forced rest may give you a fighting chance.

loey, we used to have to work the odd Saturday so could take time off in the week, I'm sure it's more to do with doing back to back long runs on sat and sun she's pissed off.

SK I think OH just like to moan, I'd be quite happy if I had me time at home.

Cal/Big G/Ian -  good luck and enjoy Liverpool... just doing the marathon or 5k as well to get triple bling?

Steve enjoy Guernsey, can only imagine that it will be hilly

Good news a couple of rest days and been rolling and stretching the calves and the tightness and burning sensation has gone, 6.7 mile run today and hardly felt a thing.  Will probably try a few miles tomorrow just to make sure all okay.

• Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Evening shadies. Hope you're all fine and running fit...

Been trying to post this for ages but keep getting distracted or the laptop stops working...
    Now that the dust has settled after a testing london, I've started booking events for the rest of the year..
    last year I decided to try do 12 marathons in 12 months. Now for some of you that’s quite an easy thing to do but the training for London has taken me somewhat off track. As it stands from 11th November I’ve done 2 marathons and one ultra so between now and November 11th I’ve got 9 events to do...well my first one is a Phoenix pop up ultra next Saturday evening. My next one is Sunday morning SVN ultra @ 7am and it’s an hour drive so a very early start after a late night.. then 3rd June, another SVN event commemorating the 75 years of the dam busters. Then I have another Phoenix ultra 10th June and potentially one on the 9th but still waiting on confirmation. Then I got a gap till the outlaw Tri in July so pretty much a packed schedule over the next few months. I am beginning to think I’ve lost a few marbles...
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a lot, Iain. Have fun? :lol:

Robert - "just" the marathon. But I get the Encore medal because I ran it last year.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Robert, just the marathon for me too, partly because I'm a tight arse but mainly because I can go and do a parkrun for free (the 5K was £28 when I last saw it - not sure if was cheaper if you booked earlier).  I'm not too into overly blingy medals either, so the 5K wasn't a consideration for me really.

Good luck with all that lot Iain.  Still plenty of time to get to your 12 in 12 ;)  

I didn't sleep too well last night, but it's another nice day so looking forward to a run soonish, and then off to Devon County Show.  I've heard there is plenty of food at these things ;)