Options

Comrades 2018

Comments

• Options
    JK got on the podium with his marathon time in Ireland  :)

lowrez - as your report said, most accidents happen in the home!! Did Mrs L not like her present? Why was it out of site on top of wardrobe  ;)

I just don't eat grains sugar and starchy veg. Dinner tonight is lasagne (with courgette slices instead of pasta) and salad. Lots of nice dressing. Lunch was omelette at cafe. Breakfast full fat yoghurt with cream and homemade granola :)

and ive just had some chocolate!
  • Options
    Lowrez - according to that link you posted you need to worry about tea cosies and loofahs as well as giraffes.
  • Options

Snail: we're all different. I'm vegetarian-near-vegan so grains and legumes are quite important in my diet. I'm pretty much the same weight as I was 30 years ago, and stable to within a kg - my fighting weight for judo when I was at uni was under-48kg and now I weigh 49 kg - and I have to have more leg muscle than I had then, although probably less arm and shoulder muscle (I spent my teenage years/early 20s chucking hay bales around, carrying 20-25kg sacks of feed and mucking out stables.).

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Berty giraffe's position is actually quite commanding, he sees all and conquers all, and now he has a red ear to remind me of his power over me.

Aren't sponges and loofahs some kind of lifeforms? Maybe they are slowly taking over the world despite us torturing and desiccating them (oh no hydration is creeping back into the conversation)? 

SS your meals sound delicious :)

Well done JK

Debra that is not many Kgs at all; I think I am seventy something.

• Options
    Debra - we're definitely all different and there's nothing wrong with that and people should respect others views. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    SS - Do ketos eat meat? Do you eat meat? What do you do about carbo loading for events, or don't you?
  • Options
    Lowrez - I do eat meat. I don't specifically carb load on the usual things but try to do some sweet potatoes/berries etc in the few days before. If you're away though it's obviously not that easy to get exactly what you want. Breakfast before Exmoor marathon was a bacon bap which tasted like cardboard :/
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I tried a bacon and egg muffin from a famous burger outlet once for breakfast, cardboard indeed! Never again.
  • Options
    jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine who's a nurse so should know better was taking pain-killers you can't even get without a doctor's prescription in Ireland before the start of an ultra once as one of her hips keeps giving her grief. I was impressed when she opened her little bum-bag & offered me something from the collection she had in there, needless to say I passed!

Indeed I've snuck onto the MT podium on the quite weekends when there are only 3/4 people doing a marathon! 
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Interesting discussions!
    i recall being quite shocked when the guide on the bus tour of the course made a comment implying that it was normal to do comrades having dosed up on painkillers for the advance... And seemed to be condoning this approach providing you don't take it to an extreme! Not consistent with my views!

i admire the will power of those talking about 8:16 or 5:19 nutrition, unfortunately I just love eating.... I think the only way I could fast for 16 hours is to sleep for 16 hours! And that doesn't fit very well with work. If I was to try this ( I'm not going to experiment before Comrades) I'd definitely be a breakfast and lunch person during the week.....and I think I'd just give up at weekends

Lowrez - do you have a short giraffe? Short wardrobes? Or high ceilings?

Hope everyone's runs go well this weekend. i made a last minute decision to run Windermere marathon on Sunday (I don't think I've done a road run of more than 13 miles since October!), have decided I'm going to cover my watch, and just take it very gently, I t won't make the Marathon Talk podium!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Ohh don't start me on wardrobes! I used to have these majestic 2001: A Space Odyssey obsidian blue tinged monoliths stretching from floor to ceiling and wall to wall. I would gaze into their languid depths and think "My God, they're full of stars". They were TARDIS-like in capacity and all my worldly goods (and chattels) could be stored therein. Then some woman turned up and they were painted "sand", but that wasn't enough, they had to be discarded and replaced with some "Shakers"; these are free standing thimbles in comparison that don't hold anything. My chattels are now thrown to the four winds and I can never find anything. I look at the vast expanse of wasted space above these matchboxes and scowl at the tall grinning blood stained Berty thinking "One day mate, you will be firewood and I will bake potatoes in your embers along with the rest of this bloody balsa".

Good luck in Windermere McH, great approach, I recommend that for everyone on every run from here on in; cruise them and don't worry about time. Hope everyone else has a fine weekend of cruising! 

• Options
    jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    Had one of my favourite local races last night, a 5k in a wildlife park. There's a good video of it from a few years back on YouTube when it was a 4 mile.- Animals take part in Cheetah run 4 mile road race

Doing a 10m race on Sun, where the first 5 miles is pretty much uphill all the way & then you loop around and it's downhill back to the start. 

Saw a video on the Comrades UK & Ireland FB page earlier of the start in Pietermaritzburg with Shosholoza and Chariots of Fire & must admit it gave me goosebumps!
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I’m trying to decide what to do on the Monday after Comrades. Have previously done a safari and loved it, but would like to do something different this year. Thinking of doing a day trip to Sani Pass / Lesotho has anyone done this previously and got any comments? Or any other ideas for a day trip?
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Hope windermere was good McHilly. Worcester was certainly very hot today, felt ok (ish). Always a strange feeling when you know that the next time you run that far it will be on the road to Durban.

Enjoy getting quicker everyone ;)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Certainly am Marty, possibly too much. Loved the RnR5k last Sat. massive wedding theme going on, brilliant weather just couldn't cool my jets and blasted around astoundingly quickly for me

Lots of other people on theme running it:-

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Hi, Windermere is lovely always seem to be going up or down, never flat so seems like good Comrades prep :-) I decided to not look at my watch and to “take it easy” so was really pleased when I did it in under 4:30 ( not sure hard effort would have made much difference to the time, I’d have probably just gone out faster and slowed down more drastically in later stages). One last long run for me next weekend at Boddington (Gloucester) which is a flat multi-lapper - might try and push a bit harder... there again I might not :-) 
    Good to hear Worcester went well
    waiting to hear how Lowrez (Brit Girl ?) got on rock and rolling in Liverpool 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

That is a brilliant time for Windermere McH, great to see everything continue to improve for you, I'd say continue the carefree non-pushing this late in the campaign :) You can see Brit Girl above. She clocked 26:36 for the 5k and that was from a snails start in the last but one pen in amongst families and prams, she got pretty techy at all that and switched the afterburners on running way wide and weaving across the course to get some clear ground I reckon she would have been pushing at 22 minutes on a serious attempt :) She was so envious of the girl in the sequinned union jack dress - stunning :)

The following day Katy Perry carried on where Brit Girl left off and caught the 4:30 pacer at the half way point in the marathon having started in the 5h bin. She paid a hefty price in the second half though and slumped to a very frustrating 4:51. Performance wise it was a pretty daft run this late in the campaign, but she absolutely loved the whole event, so much so that she's taken up the early bird option on the same event combo for next year.

• Options
    jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    Wow some impressive running gear there, I'm thinking races in Ireland seem very boring in comparison! I got in two local 5k races in the last six days with a hilly 10m race on Sunday which I took a bit easy as don't recover as quickly as I used to.

Summer seems to have arrived so really looking forward to a marathon on Sat now where I won't spend most of the time in the rain :) 
  • Options
    Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    McHilly - fabulous run at Windermere. Well done.

Lowrez - I hope your giraffe wielding wardrobe is on the large side for all your outfits. A girl could be jealous :)

Last long run for me done on Monday. Terribly slow but at least I didn't stop at all. Looking forward to the taper now.

Are we arranging any meet ups whilst out there. It's all coming round rather quickly now.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Well done on your run SS - great spirit - that's all you have to do - keep going - I managed to keep a monolith in another room which has become the costume store :) and no pesky giraffes - hmm a giraffe costume for Comrades?

My time on the ground will be sparse yet again; I have virtually lost a day by being bumped onto a late flight in Joburg; I arrive in Durban about 5pm Fri probably dead on my feet and then I am back out at 7am the following day on the course tour, won't even get to the Expo until 2pm or later Saturday, by then it will almost be time to get back on a bus to PM to start the run!

Good luck on Saturday JK :)

• Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    In response to SS's comment on meet ups.  There is of course the regular meet/greet organised by Sir Bruce on the Thursday evening at the Hilton, where you can pay on the door (finger buffet and buy your own drinks).

For the past 2 years, we have had an informal gathering on the Friday evening at Spiga but that recently closed.  However, thanks to help from JAR (and local knowledge) there is an alternative we can try.  It's Mamma Luciana's, Morningside (48 Florida Road).  It's Italian as you might have guessed but with a good range of pasta, pizza, meat dishes, salads etc with good recommendations.  It's in the same location as Spiga and close to the hotels most of you are staying at. 

I've made an initial reservation there for 18:30 on Friday 8th June.  I made it a little earlier this year as if we are a larger group we will hopefully be served a little faster ahead of the Friday evening locals!  Also, it makes sure you get your beauty sleep ahead of the Park Run.......I hope that some of you can make it.   From my experience it's been nice to put faces to avatars! And see familiar faces again.  I'll start the ball rolling with a list:

Mac3 + 1 (Cristina)

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Mac3 for the Friday night plan, can you add me to your list!

I’m happy to also start a list of flight times.... so can potentially arrange meet ups eg at Mugg and Bean in J’burg airport whilst waiting for connecting flights (I fly on the wed night at 8:10pm but can’t recall what time my connection is the next day, I’ll check this evening ) and potential lift shares from the airport to Durban

• Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking that we had been a bit light of lists this year. 

Mac - thanks for sorting the restaurant and please add me to the list.

McH - Emirates from me, from Birmingham via Dubai, arriving 16:25 on Thursday 7th. 

• Options
    Great to see so many putting in good runs to round the training off. I'm in taper already, at least only having 1.5 and 2 hr runs Sat/Sun will feel like tapering. Flight wise I'm on the KLM flight out of Amsterdam to J'Burg 10:35am on Tuesday 5th (06:00 BHX to AMS). I'm staying with friends so can't make the restaurant trip. Do people want to track/ be tracked on race day? More for seeing how everyone's got on before results are out/we all add our experiences on here afterwards :) I'm race number 12333
  • Options
    Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Mac3, Please add me to the restaurant list.  Thanks for organising.

Keep up the good training everyone!
  • Options
    Debra + 1 (Aidan) for the Friday evening.

We're arriving in Durban on the flight from Dubai with Emirates at 16.20 on the Thursday and will be collecting our hire car. Could probably take ONE more in the car (allowing for luggage).
  • Options
    Someone remind me where to go for tracking people - I have a couple of family/friends interested in tracking me.
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I'm also arriving on that flight Debra, I think that we've been on the same for the last couple of years.  I normally cram myself into to the airport shuttle and don't mind doing that but if you have space, Debra, that would be great.
  • Options
    Becca, I think we can fit you in unless you have very large luggage! You will need to wait while we go and get the car, but hopefully that won't take too long.
  • Options
    Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Debra.  I'm not taking a trunk or anything and I don't mind waiting.  I would have had to wait for the shuttle bus anyway.