Friday, 18 May 2018 - I'm going back, back again

chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
Morning :)

Another dull, cold and breezy day.  lets see what those legs are up to later. Right now I can feel my quads big time...

Today's lyrics: I'm going back, back again

Yesterday's were Things are looking up by George Gershwin, sung amongst others by Fred Astaire or Ella Fitzgerald.

Comments

• Morning.

A shame you aren't getting better weather chicksta. I bet the time is flying.

I'm aching this morning too - upper body DOMS following my gym routine yesterday, struggling to get going this morning too though it's a nice one.

What:          short and easy
    Why:           tired
    Last hard:   marathon training again
    Last rest:    4/5

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    Ditto LMH. Late to bed, early to rise for me, cream crackered. Gym session this morning for a Doms inducing session, although lacking the energy, let's see if a couple of Haribo beforehand can help.

Trying some new endurance routines, 7 sets using dumbbell, barbell, leg press machines, as many reps in a 5 min periods with stopwatch. If lactic acid builds up too much you are allowed to pause briefly and resume. Did that last gym session earlier in week, gave three day doms.

What: Gym
    Why: Mix it up, confuse the central nervous system
    Lyrics: No, I'm on a streak

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Made a late decision to do the Dumbarton 10K last night.  Flat and fast and a quality field, I felt I could aim for my 37:30 target.
    Started well on a hot evening with 5:53, 5:56 but did tire with a couple of 6:14s and then a 6:20 before getting back in gear with a 6:01 and the last quarter in a good effort to just sneak under 38, with a 64th place finish in 37:59.  17th V40 which was not bad.  

Lyrics, yes, I think so! 

• WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    morning,

Chick I hope you get a nice run  this morning.

Benjy: Enjoy your gym session!!I hope you sleep better tonight

LMH:Enjoy the short run  in the sunshine:-)

Don: Great race well done!

What: 5.18 miles
    Why: because i could/Chest and lungs slowly getting better:-)
    Last hard: Asthma
    Lyrics: Nope
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning
    Well done Don, sounds like a stacked field if that time is only good enough for 17th MV40!
    What - steady lunchtime, if I can get out for long enough may take a jaunt round the Olympic Stadium
    Why - fitting it in
    last rest - Saturday 
    last hard - Tuesday
    lyric - nope
  • DubaiDaveDubaiDave ✭✭✭
    Morning

Don: Nice running,
    WP: Thats a long streak you have going there
    LMH: OW swimming is fine but its an hour to the coast and the local quarry does not rock my boat.
    Chick: If you want results speed work can not be avoided! Sad to says its gorgeous here today.

What: Out on the bike in a bit, I can feel a trip to see the Rhino's coming on.
    Why: Bit achy after last nights track session
    Last Hard: Last night
    Last Rest: 10/5

Throughly enjoyed last nights club track work, I had forgotten just how much I like trashing myself and just how hard you can push when its only for 400 / 800M .
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    I forgot to say I don't have anything exotic on my runs maybe a fox out on the prowl but this morning what i thought was a pack of 20 dogs on the loose, was when i took my sunglasses off a group of 1 white ram and 19 black sheep going for a run or escaped from field again!

DD: Enjoy the Rhino visit:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Lyrics: no

Well done, Don!

What: cross training in the form of cleaning and gardening (nearly two hours already!)

Why: calf is not healing as quickly as Don's hamstring! Is "calfstrung" a word?

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Ale: Empathy/sympathy but like your idea of cros training. Didn't know that could count.
    WP: Nice miles and wildlife spot :-)
    Donaldo: Nice run. Great effort. Maybe off slower next time?
    Enjoy your exercise all. Just off on  the trek to Liverpool via Bala. There goes a day!
    What: Nothing
    Why: Rest day/taper
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: In progress
    Lyrics I think so
  • What: rest
    What: Cape tomorrow
    Last hard: Wednesday
    Last rest :Sunday
    Lyrics no
  • Sorry to hear it's not improving very quickly Alehouse.

Nice day for a bike ride DD. I have to disagree about the speed work though - all it seems to do is break me. 

Hope your journeys are stress free SC.

No race today OH?

Not quite the same as the rhinos Poppy  :)

I agree - quality field for your race Donaldo. Hamstring ok after that?

Hope you can manage a decent lunch break Dustin.

I don't even manage the late night Benjy. Interesting gym experiment.

My short and easy turned into a MLR. Legs were sort of willing and it was too nice a morning not to take advantage of. Stuck in a windowless room at work now but hopefully not for too long.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon all
    lyrics today and yesterday no
    LMH nice one I bet you're glad it was an mlr now! It was a nice morning 
    OH that week has flown! I've seen some good pics of you on FB
    SC have a good rest day
    Alehouse sorry calf not healing as we'd like, enjoy (?) the cross training
    WP sounds quite exotic to me that run!!
    DD your's definitely sounds exotic, enjoy
    dustin enjoy the jaunt!
    well done don, it sounds good to me!!
    benjy enjoy the new routine,hope it works

Yoga was great again last night, I really like it!

what: 3 miles d&d this morning
    why: sick of one mile and glands have gone down
    last hard: this morning
    last rest: 31/12/16

Park run no 50 in the morning  then family all to mine for wedding and FA cup, food drinks etc etc...
    have fun everybody

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Glad the legs behaved well, LMH.

Like your brain tricking strategy, Benjy.

Interesting wildlife around it seems ... the most exciting one that crossed my path was a deer.

Nice 10k Don and good placing. Lots of fast MV40s out there.

DD: my days of getting faster are long gone. Too crocked I'm afraid. I'm hoping to finish Berlin in one piece. That'll be my last marathon. Can't leave that Hamburg DNF from 2016 against my name  (stress fracture - stopped at 25k).

Safe travels, SC.

Agree, yoga is great, wabo

What: 7 miles
    Why: too cold for more - despite capris, long sleeve top and buff I was sooo cold. Strange weather. 2 days ago it was 27 degrees. Yesterday 13 was the high and this morning it was a measly 9.
    Last hard: the cold today isn't nice
    Last rest: 10/5
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Wabo have a fantastic Saturday. Wedding - tick, parkrun 50 - tick, glands down - tick,  longer run today  - tick, not sure about the cup final :-)
  • DubaiDaveDubaiDave ✭✭✭
    Two hours and a wee bit on the bike out to Longleat, no rhinos today just some camels, ibex and deer visible.

Chick: i have to get back to marathons as need 4 more for 50. I’m not going to beat any of my PB’s but still want to be as quick as possible. Anyway i’m on OAPB’s now (old age).

LMH: I know i’m weird but I have always liked speed work, frustrated track runner i guess. Its never broken me either, distance will do that for me.

OH; enjoy the cape.

WP; I get deer at my back gate especially in winter, drives the dog bonkers.
  • That all sounds good Wabo!

That is a huge variation in temperature chicksta. Glad you had enough kit to get out in the colder weather.

I must admit that whilst I have tried to do speed work in the past DD - hence knowing that it breaks me - I can't say I've ever really enjoyed it but then I've always been more of an endurance type, even as a youngster.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about the cup final either SC, I have no idea who I want to win, it will pan out on the day for me!! I just like football and family days lol!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Enjoy number 50, Wabo! I seem to be resembling a nervous cricketer: been stuck in the 90s since last summer!

Tomorrow is the only Saturday I work during the year now: exam marking training day from 8:30 to 5:30. Hope to get back to see some of the cup final. Won't be supporting Chelsea.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a good weekend ahead Wabo.

alehouse, enjoy your markers meeting, if at all possible! 

LMH, sounds like you had a good run, I like it when it turns out that way.
    Hamstring good now.  It was on the left.  Now my right Achilles is bugging me and had to stop and stretch if off today during a wee 4 mile recovery run. Seemed to help.  Will ice it.  Back off to work shortly for drill and turnout competition but weekend free after that for a change.  

• I seem to remember you finding that a very tedious day last year Alehouse - hope it doesn't drag too much.

It was better than expected Donaldo rather than a good run if you know what I mean. Hope you can sort the achilles as quickly as you did the hamstring. Enjoy your weekend off.