Sunday 20th May 2018 - On glory day we'll get the gifts of heaven up above

Morning.

Lyrics - On glory day we'll get the gifts of heaven up above

Another lovely morning here. Hope it isn't too hot for those racing.

What:           hopefully a LSR
Why:            making the most of the weather/having the time
Last hard:    getting up this morning
Last rest:     4/5

Yesterday's lyrics - Repetition by Blur.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    Glorious day here too, just about to set off for Ravenscar after weetabix and hazelnut cake. Looking forward to first half of route, brutal roller coaster inclines. Just wanting an enjoyable run, I'll be happy with that. Taking daughters on bike ride after that.

All runners, racers and gym goers have a good day today.

What: Ravenscar half
    Why: On the doorstep a good run oppurtunity
    Lyrics: Very familiar, but no
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

Benjy: Enjoy the race today it sounds an interesting route! also enjoy bike ride with girls later:-)

What: 9.1 miles
    Why: Because I could
    Last hard: Nothing today
    lyrics: Nope

A good run as I ran 3 hills and no affects from Asthma yay normal service can resume again:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Lyrics: no

Off to officiate at Great Manchester 10k. Back later!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

great day here, 1 I didn't fall and 2 its so lovely out. Daughter is on her way up so its BBQ day.

8.75 with 5.75 at MP.... ready as I will ever be for next week......

Feel I should know the lyrics....

Take care all
  • Hazelnut cake sounds like the breakfast of champions Benjy! I think enjoying is the best thing to do with the Ravenscar route, it's not one for PBs.

Glad you had good runs Poppy and RFJ.

Hope you were appreciated Alehouse - not a bad day for marshalling.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Hope you enjoyed the half Benjy.

18.3 miles for me today, a bit accidental to be honest.  Had planned to join up two runs to make a longer one so went out route hunting over some rough ground after about 5 miles.  To my surprise, after some soggy boggy stuff for a mile, I found the track of the other route and ran it too.  Felt good, achilles only a wee bit sore, ice and ibuprofen doing the trick.  Didnt post yesterdays run but had a decent run of 7+ miles on trails.

Lyrics, nope.
  • DubaiDaveDubaiDave ✭✭✭
    Greetings

Donaldo: Accidental 18 miles! Love it

AH: Hope you were appreciated by all.

BB: Hope it went well

What: 60 miles on the bike done
    Why: North Dorset cycle ride for cancer
    Last Hard: The last 10 miles today, After yesterdays 14 miles run off road my legs are a bit cooked. Feels like I'm back ½ IM training..... maybe I am.
    Last Rest: 11 days

Lyrics; No chance
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Hope you had a good race, Benny

Have you a specific 1/2 IM in mind, DD?

Nice accidental 18 miler, Don

Glad asthma is gone, poppy

Hope you enjoyed the LSR, LMH

Nice marshalling, Ale

Just a couple of walks for me today.  knees are grumbling, the right more than the left. I blame the hills.

Guess a non running day won't hurt :)

No to lyrics
  • I had a lovely LSR thanks chicksta, so warm and sunny out. A non running day certainly won't hurt - are you stretching your quads? Generally helps my grumbly knees, that and ice.

You'll have to get back into swimming if you are DD!

Have you any more races planned Donaldo?
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Couple of big races coming up, Dunblane 7.5 mile road race next Sunday (runs past my house which is nice) and then the big one, Alloa half marathon, cancelled in March due to snow, on June 3rd.  Will go for a good time in that.

What about you LMH, whats the next target? 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon! And a hot one at that!

Spent nearly 6 hours at my corner, largely walking up and down clearing water bottles off the road. Very hot: 24/25 degrees and I have never seen so many people walking by the 6k point. Thousands, literally. Managed to cover my 10000 steps whilst never going more than 70 or 80 metres from my spot!

Race report, Benjy? Or are you still running/out on the bike?

How was yesterday, OH?

Easy week, RFJ!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • That's a long time to be on your feet Alehouse - how is everything holding up?

I don't have anything entered at the minute Donaldo but am probably doing Yeovil marathon on 10th June.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Back aches, LMH! But that is not a surprise, especially after sitting hunched over marking handbooks for about 10 hours yesterday and a couple of hours this morning! The training wasn't too tedious yesterday but as usual it was hot and sunny...so all windows had to be closed and blinds drawn to stop anyone seeing or hearing anything relating to the mark scheme. Air-con was on and I have had a sore throat all day today. At least they no longer have security guards on the doors!
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Phone report: 24 min parkrun yesterday and 1.45.27 at Liverpool today. A tad warm but good fun with my son. 
    Lyrics:no
    what: fun half 
    why: was a rock'n'roll
    last hard: behaving and getting -be split
    last rest: Friday 
    Catch up tomorrow. Looks like all had fun and incident free
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done SC!
  • Saturday 9 May

From the early hours of this morning, wave after wave of lightly equipped men and women  were ferried across in small craft to be landed on the  Cape. 

At dawn, bells and whistles had sounded all around Durness. Men and women had made their way down to disembark at at the slipway. The cuckoo called as they passed fields lined with red tulips.The last 6 days of training and preparation had hardened this raggle-taggle group together into a cohesive group with a common aim. 

Wave after wave proceeded to Inshore where supplies had been dropped in advance. Each man and woman continued on towards Cape Wrath, mostly on foot but limited mechanised transport was available. The way was rugged and remote yet strangely beautiful, winding north westerly between the hills. Refuelling and first aid stations had already been “parachuted” in. 
    They came from far and wide: regulars and new recruits; veterans from the Falklands and fresh- faced from Eton; father and son from the Valleys; from the Highlands; from the Islands; from the flatlands. 

The white dunes of Balnakiel were left behind, as were the fields of Eton Manor. 
    Some remembered the rousing choruses of “Flower of Scotland” and “Letter to America” in the hostelries of Durness. Others bowed their heads as they passed by the deserted pink tank and again as they passed the lofty cathedral rock. Nerves were on edge and “Run4It” was heard more than once. 

The last uphill approached. One by one and in small groups, they rounded the corner to catch their first sight of the lighthouse in all its splendour. 
    Having accomplished their objective, they were offered a tot before retreating by the same route. Groups were seen silhouetted on successive ridges far away. Greeting were exchanged with those still advancing.   

At Capeside, small craft again awaited to ferry them back to landside. For a while, time appeared to stand still. Weary but with the knowledge of a job well done, the march upwards was all in good spirit.

Each man and woman had been counted out and were now counted back by Sergeant Lucy, assisted by Private Peter (when not preoccupied fixing the Turf Accountancy). Not a man nor women had been lost. Although one was injured by an IID during training, she was able to play her full part on the day.

Campaign medals were issued on site.
    Captain Tony was highly commended.

Regrouping and debriefing followed at HQ in Durness. 
    The commander in chief, Brigadier McKeown, pleased with all things Victorious, was reported to be delighted with the outcome.
    It is believed that  the successful outcome was transmitted in code to The Times, London, just too late for the Royal Wedding.
  • Aim of the game yesterday was completion and that was achieved.
    Enjoyed the run out to Cape Wrath, 26.2 completed in 5h58.
    Followed by recovery sea dip then ceilidh seen through to Auld Lang Syne .
  • Our friend who impaled her foot on the spike was fortunately able to complete the marathon yesterday too.
  • BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    Don: Great miles there, accidental such a great way rack them up, v impressed

DD: Likewise, that's a fair few miles chewed up there on the bike impressive

Ale: Hats off to you for doing 10,000 steps marooned on an island, it is people that do these 10,000 steps that enable these events to happen. Admirable work there.

SC: Good time there with Liverpool, look forward to hearing about it, it is one of those events that sounds really appealing.

Chick: A rest is a virtue and well deserved

LMH: Glad you had a good run today, if weather where you are was like here it would have been mighty fine

RFJ: Good miles and feel prepped and ready. Hope you had good bbq

Ravenscar Half Marathon... It was brutal, the weather was very hot direct sun, then suddenly a cool sea fret crawls in, then goes quickly then very hot again, 700ft cliffs in direct sun. The ascents and descents were very extreme, very steep and never ending. Truly a 13 mile roller coaster.

The route in the majority of places is single file, difficult to overtake and you have to be aware if holding somebody up behind and do the honourable thing and let past.

Getting on to the the flat but still greatly uneven cinder track seemed brief then back to cliffs up and down. The cliff paths were as hard as concrete, the rock hard dry mud tracks uneven and rutted, had to keep on eye on ankle and landing not to stumble in ridges.

The event was extremely well organised, informal and all volunteers and runners extremely friendly. Plenty of comments and discussion of how high is this one as we went round.between everyone.

Brutal but fantastic, I guess it was more fell run/half hybrid than anything else, enjoyed every minute, can't believe I have not done it before, it is on my doorstep, it has gone to the top of my charts for running events done to number one. It is in the diary for next without a doubt.

Did it in 2hrs on the nose (and 17 secs).
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great reporting guys! And photo OH! 
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Brilliant reports OH and Benjy.  Well done to both, races sound epic!