Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - slap on the sun cream and you should be OK, won't be as warm as NDVM and you've had a couple of warm races so you should be fine.   Enjoy the hills, I don't think it's that hilly ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    4:08. Really disappointed with my effort. Just felt hard work virtually all the way even though I wasn't pushing it at all, compared to PB pace. 

Nice event though but I wanted a strong run here in advance of DD as a confidence booster but if anything this is the opposite. 

I've no excuses really - weather was fine etc etc. Just didn't have it today and those times of Malta and Barca currently seem a long way away with the last few events now being quite poor times for one reason or another. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-Sorry you had a bad day.
    Just the opposite for myself,with my recent training I thought 4 was a decent target,decides to run the first few miles at what felt an easy pace,didn't take any notice of the time until 4 and realised even though it felt very easy it was fast,then thought let's go with the flow and wait for the inevitable collapse. It did come but not until very late,got to 18 before my first bout of cramp and expected it early today.had to walk a couple of inclines near the end as I had nothing left and walked a bit.finished in 3:39:07,only 8 mins behind my pb so really really happy with the day.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - never mind, that's still a very good time.   You had a busy, maybe tiring, couple of days beforehand and sometimes that has a knock on effect.

Ian - that's brilliant, well done.   Keep up with those strength exercises, you're definitely dealing with the cramps better and they are having less effect on you.

Any news on Cal?  I don't think she uses her phone to post on here so we'll have to wait until she gets home.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-With lack of training and strength work I really expected the cramps earlier.
    Cal has finished safe and sound,think she'll be happy but will wait for her.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I think you're getting stronger and the cramps will eventually go away.  Hope the achilles isn't too sore.

Good news about Cal, will wait for her update
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done Ian!  You must be pleased with that - great time. 

Shades, I know it's difficult to answer, but do you think it's possible I'm doing too much?  My preparation was the same as usual, I slept well, but I just didn't have it today. From 10 miles I knew I was struggling - I hoped something would happen at 18 when the course undulates back down, but it just never came. 

That time in Barca I did a large amount of sight seeing whereas this time in Liverpool it's been quieter - the centre of Liverpool is actually easy to get around. So I'm not sure if I can say I've overdone it with the sightseeing. 

Looking back to Great Welsh, I know it was windy, but really that was a poor time I think. Well, not the time as such - just how hard it felt. This one felt worse!!

For this one I had Munich in mind where I felt great in the second half. I had hoped to replicate that but as I say, it didn't happen. 

Sorry for the down post. Hopefully after a night's sleep I'll feel better about it, but I can't hide from the fact that 9min/miles was a challenge from fairly early on today. 
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Shades - not you as well with tonsillitis! Are you on any antibiotics for it? My son’s on a 10-day course which seemed to kick in quite quickly, so he’s been OK for exams this week. Apparently pineapple is supposed to help. Hope you feel better soon. 

Big G - sorry you didn’t have a good race today, still not a bad time though.I guess when you’re doing multiple marathons, there will be good and bad ones and the bad ones will help you to enjoy the good ones more!

Glad you had a good race, Ian, and a great time. Hope to hear from Cal soon.

Steve - very impressive pacing at Guernsey and those pictures look really scenic. You are a true ultra runner now!

MF - glad the post marathon recovery has gone well. Those university places are all fab cities and great places to visit for you, too! I hope the bac exams go well.

Not much to report here. A mediocre parkrun yesterday and an OK 12 miles today. I survived Thursday’s track session which was quite tough - they seemed to have gone up a gear in the months I haven’t gone. A friend ran the entire Jubilee line this morning - all 38 miles of it and all on his own!
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Afternoon  Shadies.

Big_G - don’t be too hard on yourself 4:08 is still a pretty good time.

Ian - well done to you too, nothing worse than cramping with 1/4 the race still to go so fantastic effort considering that.

Shades - I will be running on the 9th it’s one of Rik's ones “the Explorer” marathon. When the event opened it sold out in a matter of minutes and I never got a chance to enter. A couple of days ago Rik said that the medal suppliers had supplied 10 extra medals and that he would do a ballot for those places. Naturally I put my name in the hat, and when the draw was done, I was gutted I didn’t get a place, so I thought “oh well, next year..I switched my phone on this morning and I had a message from Rik saying that someone couldn’t do it so would I like their place..HELL YES... so I paid the slightly higher price of £52 ( cause the medal is something special).. 

so my events list looks such...
    26 May “pop up” ultra    ( Phoenix)
    27 May “mega challenge” ultra.   (SVN)
    3 June  “dambusters” ultra.    (SVN)
    9 June. “Explorer” marathon. (Phoenix)
    10 June “Thames potter” ultra (Phoenix)
    29 July “outlaw” marathon 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SK-Love your version of a mediocre parkrun time  ;) shows how fast you normally are.
    Big G-Still a decent time,on not the easiest of courses mate.The guy who won your parkrun also won the marathon today,Adam was 2nd and a guy from my club 3rd.
    Just realised I've burnt the top of my back quite bad,usually wear a t-shirt so well suncreamed up but forgot I was wearing a vest today so those areas are pretty sore.
    Achilles feel ok at the minute,no problems walking just when I touch it.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Shades, I don't but I do have access to my friend's computer. :)
    Official time is 4:22:22 which is better than I expected under the circumstances. First half went well enough but I knew from last year that I'd likely slow down. I tried to stay with the 4:15 pacer but the hills and warmer weather took it out of me and I started dying on my arse in Sefton Park. It was a less spectacular collapse than last year, though - I forced myself not to walk so although there were a few easy-pace miles in there, I kept going and got to the finish only four minutes slower than Manchester. This is a 15 minute improvement over my time here last year, so I'm pretty happy with that. In fact, I'm happy I got around without walking, given I've not run more than 12 miles since Manchester. The mitochondria are still working, it seems.

Big G, I did keep an eye out for you but there were so many people milling about. Sorry you didn't get the time you wanted, but hey we got a cool medal that spins!
    Ian, that's a phenomenal run - I'm very happy for you! How did he tendons cope with the hills?
    Iain - blimey, do you all get one like that?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-15 minutes is a big improvement and I think it was hotter today so that would have made it harder?
    The uphill sections were fine,it's the downhill I struggle with,means I can't kick on as much as I'd like.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    You did very well considering.
    One negative from me is that I have discovered a new chafe-zone - my inner knees! I only noticed when I ran through a hosepipe and the water stung the hell out of my legs. I Vaselined the usual places but that was one I never even considered. Stupid fat, knock knees.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Cal - well done on your 15 min improvement...yes everyone gets one of those medals. They weigh 5kg. The original entrants names are all on the ribbon but the extra 10 won’t be but I’m sure there might be something to compensate for that..
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Blimey! Well, I think you need to get it and post a photo of you wearing it!
    Official marathon results are up - I was 25th in age group, 280/1135 ladies and 1371 overall, which puts me in the first half. I guess a lot of people struggled with the warmth today (I didn't find it too bad, but I would have been able to go faster if it was cooler, obviously). I did pass a hell of a lot of walkers in the last few miles.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal, that’s a good chunk off last year’s time. Hope you’re not suffering too much from the chaffing!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Comfortably inside the top half as there were 3200 finishers,really good.
    I was 347th which has really surprised me.There were a lot of walkers by me also,the last 4 miles along the front were very tough with no wind or shade.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't think you're doing too much running wise, although it's only you that can say if you're feeling tired and drained of energy.   I think if you look back the inconsistencies in your marathon race times seems to be fairly 'normal' for you and I don't think we could pin down any reason for those inconsistencies.  You might have to go back and study your spreadsheet and see if you can spot any reason.  It must be very frustrating as there are obviously races that you want to target and you want to prepare yourself as best as you can for those races.

SK - no, not on antibiotics.  I saw the pharmacist and he said usually tonsillitis is viral not bacterial so thankfully no antibiotics.  Pharmacist said it will run its course, 7 to 10 days.  I try and avoid antibiotics anyway.   Luckily as I'm older my tonsils are not the size they used to be so it's not as painful as if I was a teenager or young adult.   I have eaten all the frozen grapes I had, they really helped.

Iain - thanks, I've listed all your races.  Sorry but that medal is gross :s  What is the point of a medal that weights 5kg, it's not like the runners are doing any ultimate challenge, just buying a bit of tat.   £52 is a lot for an entry fee for that sort of race.   I'd rather pay a lower fee, get a normal sized medal and the RO give some money to charity too.

Ian - good news the achilles isn't too bad, the sun burn will ease, but lesson learned, ouch .

When you're back to full training on your hills, we need to work on your downhill running next. :D

Cal - that's a brilliant run, you should be very pleased with that.  Warmer weather, not such a flat course and of course having shingles shows that you're in great shape.   I think you can work hard and really target Chester with that goal time.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I read that Adam wasn't very happy with the race organisation as the lead bike sent the lead runners the wrong way and they had to turn around. Also, they were still putting the cones out in some places and often there was no music, as well as the lead bike being noisy and he said it all got to him. They announced the winner as Adam over the tannoy too. They gave him and his kid a free 1 mile race entry afterwards, which should have been £16 each as a late entrant!!  I believe he was hoping for sub-2:30 so probably is disappointed with his time. 

Cal, very well done to you. That's a great time. You must be very happy with that. 

Shades, I think the only thing I'm doing is trying to do a few extra miles between events, so I suppose it could be that. On occasion I have kind of forced myself out the door as I had a plan to do a run, and if I hadn't ran I'd have felt lazy!  Really not sure. I think though the last few results haven't been great - there have been what I thought were underlying reasons with the weather, but really Great Welsh in particular wasn't a good performance either. I was pleased with how I dug in, but disappointed it felt so tough. It does feel back to the drawing board in some ways. 

Official result for your list was 4:07:55. 

Iain, sorry to say, I don't like those types of medals either. They had one last year which was a massive Phoenix where the runners hung medals from a series off of it which again I didn't like.

I have seen quite a lot of criticism elsewhere about Liverpool, which is a shame. People saying the Half seemed the priority, as well as the focus on people showing off various medals. Like I say though, I enjoyed the event in terms of the course and didn't have any problem with organisation on the day, although I still think they should start the marathon earlier. Also, the start of the marathon was delayed by over 10mins yesterday too, which was really annoying. We all lined up at the new time of 10:10, and then with a few seconds to go it was announced it was delayed again.  The announcer mumbled something about needing to make sure the course was safe, so it wasn't even due to volumes of people or anything.

Had a great afternoon and evening with the WAY lot. Ended up getting a ticket to go and see a live band, which was a good way to finish the weekend. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-How will this tonsilitus affect your DD prep?
    The downhill were tough because if the angle I'm moving my Achilles in,no need to add more hills in  :D
    Big G-From a business sense I can see the half being more important to them,nearly 9k in that and late entry fee was 44,personally I had no issues with anything,I agree the full could start first,I watched the half runners go off and they went at 9.10 and with so many corals there was no way we were starting at 10.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I have to agree with Shades and Big G re that medal! And I feel that the current trend for more expensive race add-ons is pricing lots of people out of races.

Went  to watch the Night of the 10,000 PBs again on Saturday. Great racing (three British men got <28 mins), with the 1st British man being a 19 year old triathlete! Max’s PE teacher won an earlier race in a PB of 31:04, but was frustrated not to go sub 31! Only medals for the top 3 in the A race though. Got a free noisy bell (which will be useful when marshalling at parkrun) plus some free Strava socks.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I don't think it's much fun being the leader in a race, always that doubt about which way to go.  At least if you're further back in the field you can follow the runners in front.  I wouldn't expect there to be any music for the lead runners either, nor much support.  I watched the Manchester 10km and the lead runners have to run through deserted streets.

£16 for a late entry into a one mile children's race  :o , I think we can see what the race organisers want most from their event.  Should be no more than £2 or £3 for that, to cover the cost of the medal and race number.

Re your marathon times, I don't think anyone can predict how they are going to feel on any one day.   Maybe a bit more of that 'brain training' for when you are targeting a particular event?   
    I think your difficult run at GW was just due to the headwind, affects a lot of runners like that.  If you'd been wearing an HRM on that day you'd have seen how much effort is required to run when it's windy.

Ian5 said:
    Shades-How will this tonsilitus affect your DD prep?
    The downhill were tough because if the angle I'm moving my Achilles in,no need to add more hills in  :D 
    I have to be realistic and it's unlikely I'll make the start line.   At the moment I doubt I'll be OK to do Dorchester next weekend.   I can transfer my DD place, there's nobody on the list if you want it? ;) 

When your achilles is fully recovered I'm not suggesting more uphills but more downhill running, very tough on the legs so you have to be cautious.

SK - that's good for the future of British distance running with 3 guys sub 28 min.    I'm not surprised one is a triathlete, Alistair Brownlee did have 10km times that could have qualified him to run for the UK, I think he's moving onto half and full Ironman now.

Impressive running from that PE teacher.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, I got there just in time for the original 10am start, so the delay was more annoying than anything. Where my start pen was there was shade close by so I was fine. 

Shades, Adam did say that after the original mess up he started kind double checking and not getting into a rhythm as he was worried he was going the wrong way. Not an issue I'll ever have!!

I think you're right about the Rock n Roll series. They go to some good places though and Liverpool is their only UK race. But apparently the marathon course in Vegas is dire, with multiple loops around one section to get the mileage up (not that I'm interested in Vegas for a marathon!!). Having said all this, I would do it again I think, if I could get a good price. They do a discount on certain days during the year and you can get it for about £40, but the prices ramp up. Also, affordable accommodation was quite hard to get (I ended up in a hostel, but had a private room) so again if anyone is thinking of doing it, my advice would be to book a room as early as possible. I organised this weekend mainly for a WAY weekend, and those that came had a good time though :-)

SK, I agree with what you're saying about those races/medals in terms of prices. When I think of that compared to something like Cornish marathon, there's no comparison. Cornish is half the price, and much, much better!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - Liverpool is up for £35 now as early bird entry for 2019, but of course for us there's travel and hotel costs to consider.    

If I was doing Liverpool I'd stay in a Travelodge on the M6, but it's a pig of a drive anyway.  It's not on my list, would rather do Worcester or if I didn't mind a longer drive Windermere, which is a lovely race.

I think the adrenaline/stress of not being sure if you're going the right way in a race would really affect projected race time and enjoyment too of course.  Which might explain why distance races are often won by the previous year's winner, they know the course and are confident about the route.  But city marathons are often harder to follow route wise and subject to minor changes.

I think Rock n Roll do Lisbon marathon, that is on my 'to do' list.

Good that the WAY weekend went well and all enjoyed it.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, just read that the last runner was a 100MC member, and the organisers were encouraging her to jump in the van, and they'd drop her off closer to the finish!!!  She declined obviously, but that's really not good is it!

I forgot to say I definitely saw someone cheat. I noticed him originally as he was wearing leggings and a jacket (it wasn't cold!), a hat and headphones. I overtook him and then about 15mins later I overtook him again. There's absolutely no way he came past me again as he was struggling and this was early on in the race. He cut the course in the park between Anfield and Goodison football grounds. I did challenge him on it and he just shrugged his shoulders and smiled. I should have tried to remember his number, but at the time I didn't think of it. There weren't all that many timing mats so it would have been very easy to do. 
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Shades/Big_G - maybe I'm a bit of a medal junkie but I like that medal.. I know it's a bit ott but that's why I like it.. Saying that,  that series you are talking about Big_G the firebird series,  didn't tickle me at all.. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Tempting but I'm working so will have to decline  :)
    Big G-That coukd explain why he had a 2 min lead at halfway then ended 3 mins behind as that's a lot to lose at that level.
    It would have been very easy to cheat yesterday if you're that way inclined.

• OnTheBeachOnTheBeach ✭✭✭
    Hi All

Lots to catch up on, sorry if I miss anyone. Just trying to read back through the posts. 
    I've been absence the last week or so as me and my wife got a offer accepted on our first house! So been very busy getting paperwork sorted and trying to keep my training up.
    I had a great first trail race last Saturday. 14 miles with around 2000ft of elevation. Very different from what I am used to but I absolutely loved it, finished in around 2hrs 27min.

Shades - sorry to hear you are unwell. My wife gets tonsillitis quite regularly, it can get nasty so keep yourself rested and hydrated until you are 100%. Otherwise it can come back with a vengeance!

Big_G - great effort for seeing a tough race through. I would be chuffed with that time, but I know its frustrating when you know you can do better.

Ian5 - well done, Cramps are frustrating, I really hope to conquer them one day too!

Cal - Well done! So glad to see you raced and that you even beat last years time. 25th in category! You must be pleased with that. That is good sign :)

Steve - Saw your Ultra on Strava. Mightly impressive. Hats off to you sir  ;)

Hope everyone else is ok  :)
  • Good running by all over the weekend.
    Big G- still a good time to get I'm  sure you'll figure it out and be firing on all cylinders at your next event.
    Ian- I feel your pain in regards the leg cramps hopefully one day both of us will finish a race cramp free. Still an excellent time considering the cramp issues and lack of training due to injuries.
    Cal-  improving by 15mins over last year well done great effort. Again taking into account your shin splints etc that's a great time you got. I know what you mean with chaffing just when you think you have it all covered it appears somewhere you wouldn't even think of.
    Shades- hopefully your tonsillitis clears up quickly, it's something I've never had. It's a shame you will miss DD good though you can transfer.

10 mile today with final 3 miles at mp felt really good during the run although it was quite warm. Not used to running in the heat I don't think my body knows what's going on.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Big G - Don't be too hard on yourself. You've done a lot of marathons in the last few months and have had some cracking results.. this was just one of those races which, for whatever reason, just didn't come together. It's still a fine result and you can also put it down as a superb training run for DD  :)

Cal - Great result from you too. Can't believe you were fighting off shingles only a week or so ago.. really well done. Chester here we come!

Ian - Fab result in spite of the dreaded cramps! You must have been counting down those last miles.. well done for hanging on and coming through with a great time.

SK - I'm not even going to ask what your mediocre park run time was!  :D Glad to see that you are feeling better.

Shades - That's bad news about the tonsilitis.. and especially that it's going to scupper your DD plans. At least you managed to do Connemara this year. I thought that tonsilitis was a children's illness, I'm not sure why. An excuse for eating loads of ice cream maybe..or is that just when you've had your tonsils out..? I know nothing  :| Really hope you recover quickly.

Decent running from me over this weekend. Just forest running with the dogs but I enjoyed it. 

Weather is beautiful here at the moment. Unfortunately the pollen levels are sky high so I can't really appreciate it as have swollen eyes and a soggy tissue permanently attached to my nose. Should only last another week or so though.