Options

Is the so-called "right of freedom of expression" dead as a concept?

23082308 ✭✭✭
"The Bank of England’s Deputy Governor Ben Broadbent has apologised for “offence caused” by his description of the UK economy as “menopausal” and past its peak."

"Shadow Attorney General Shami Chakrabarti slammed Livingstone for likening Jews escaping Nazis with Nazis themselves."

On Wednesday, John Bercow was heard by some MPs calling Andrea Leadsom, the leader of the House, a “stupid woman”.

"A group of students who reportedly made jokes about rape and used racial slurs have been suspended by the University of Warwick after private Facebook messages came to light. Eleven male students have been suspended after screenshots of alleged racist, antisemitic and misogynistic messages in a Facebook group chat were shared with the prestigious university."

---

And so on and so on, every day. That's anti-Muslim, anti-gay, anti-semetic, you can't say this, you can't say that, yadda yadda.

Personally I'm tired of this stuff. People can't say anything about anything anymore without someone jumping on their backs trying to mute them and make them feel bad about themselves.

If we aren't allowed to say anything any more, because the people who want to take offence will always rush in to take offence at everything because they can, please tell us and we will simply shut up for ever.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Are you for real ?

If you can't stop spouting sexist or racist comments then it's you that's the problem.

If you can't say anything nice then keep your mouth shut. 

Simple .
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    When did people get it into their head that argument, refutation, criticism or even some form of penalty is an infringement of their freedom of speech? You can say what you like (more or less) but for better or worse you don't have the right to be insulated from the consequences.
  • Options
    Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    All of those four examples are unacceptable

There is a trend of people claiming their freedom of speech is being violated when they actually mean they want to be allowed to be predjudiced.
  • Options
    Richard 2 said:
    All of those four examples are unacceptable
    Surely calling Andrea Leadsom a "stupid woman" is a totally valid point and is perfectly acceptable?
  • Options
    Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    Calling her stupid would be valid.

To call her a stupid woman implies there is a stupidness which all women share and she is exhibiting that quality.

• Options
    Really ? I'd never have thought of that.  

I'm absolutely fine with anyone calling Rees-Mogg a stupid man. I'm not taking that as a slur on the male gender at all. 
  • Options
    Richard  2Richard 2 ✭✭✭
    yes but man has never been a term used to oppress so its false equivalence, anyway I'm stepping away from this thread as I suspect original poster is a bot anyway
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    So simply saying "woman" is a slur? 
  • Options
    Richard 2 said:
    Calling her stupid would be valid.

To call her a stupid woman implies there is a stupidness which all women share and she is exhibiting that quality.

Mrs Worry is a wonderful woman:

To call her a wonderful woman implies there is a wonderfulness which all women share and she is exhibiting that quality????
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    As a woman, I don't have an issue with the comment about Andrea Leadsome.  She is stupid, she is a woman, both are just facts.

As a woman nearing the age where menopause is imminent, I may have more of a problem with the comment about the economy, but not enough to call someone out about it.  More a "tsk" and raising of the eyebrows reaction.  Says more about him than about women, but probably right that he was pulled up for it in his position.

The rest are unacceptable.
  • Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Everyone has a right to express themselves and everyone has a right to be offended. The problem is that people now are very easily offended, and the "rules" don't make much sense, e.g.- it's ok for one black person (if that's not offensive) to use the "N-word" to describe another, but not for a white person. It's ok to have "music of black origin". We must have certain ratios of women or minority groups in charge of companies, regardless of merit. Women-only golf clubs are ok, but men-only aren't (I play at one, and we gets lots of abuse over this). It will soon be hard to avoid causing offence that the sensible thing to do is to stop trying so hard.

• Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Isn't that sad?
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    2308 said:

I had a similar thing shortly before Christmas. I got into a fifteen second dispute with a hugely fat female over a message printed on her sweatshirt. At the end of our dispute episode I remarked to her: "And you need to lose some weight." A policeman told me off for saying it.

what did it say on her sweatshirt? 
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I can't work out if I'm supposed to be taking this thread seriously or not.
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    So you are arguing the case for freedom of expression while objecting to someone's freedom of expression on their sweatshirt? 
  • Options
    skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    In what way is it threatening or abusive? 

And not more offensive or illegal than the antisemitic, racist, misogynist behaviour you are defending.   
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    2308 said:

You don't consider "go fuck yourself" abusive?

You think it's okay on a sweatshirt do you?

I don't.

I do.

Where's the torelance you preached in your opening post?
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Are you Alf Garnett?

• Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I think my comparison went over your head, much like a jumper.
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    Is that a straight "7" or one that's adjusted by oppressive subjection?
  • Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    2308 said:

I live in this odd dystopia.

Apparently so.