My Last Run

Comments

• This is the last 38 mile week. Next week it goes up to 41.
    This afternoon 5 miles completley by feel. Averaged 7:35 min/mi. My purecadence 6 are coming to the end of their lives after 332 miles. Never run in shoes with a 4mm heel drop before these, and they have been a real revelation. No dragging from the big heels so many shoes have and so a much better ground feel. Wish I was able to run neutral but my feet are flat. If I had a better sense of pace I would ditch the GPS watch as well. I only wear a shirt or vest to keep decent and avoid cat calls.....
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    JT, the sweet out of the nostril is a truly vile image. Impressive miles but. Which race course was it?
    Cal, I really hope you are OK and that you have a good race tomorrow. Be thinking about you!
    Me- I seem to have inadvertently done a 5 day streak this week, which is nice.
    Yesterday I did 11 miles easy. I didn't have any route or mileage in mind at all and just ran how I felt, which was really really nice. It's a shame I didn't take a drink as it was thirst that made my cut it shorter. It's surprisingly warm in London.
    This morning was the first OW swim of the year, and lovely it was too in the lake, a bit chillier than I'd like but tolerable and I managed two laps which was a mile. Then my friend said we should have a quick 5k run around the towpath by the lake so it would have been rude to refuse :-)
  • Good luck at Liverpool,  Cal! Have a great run.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Hope Cal is doing well in Liverpool.

Nice long run JT.

Short lifespan for shoes that Stephen, good 5 miler.

Nice running and swimming by Nessie too.

How did the parkrun go Will?

6 miles local fields and woods for me yesterday in 58 minutes.  At bit quicker than the intended recovery pace in places overall pace ok.
  • Sounds like a nice swim, Nessie and a nice country run, Hazelnut. Hope the new shoes will be enjoyable,  Stephen, and wishing you fewer nasal sweet inhalations in the future, JT.

So, after 2 weeks out of action I hit the Norwich Parkrun with my Dad (73) yesterday, for his debut. He's done a few training runs in the last few weeks, but not a huge amount of preparation. I coughed and spluttered round in his wake and he finished in 29:34 - quite an effort! I didn't expect him to do sub 30 at all and he said he wasn't completely happy with the last lap and so wants to knock a chunk off that time. It was just about the right pace for me, so a good run for us both.

This morning I tailwalked the Junior Parkrun and my boy did his fastest time of the year, 15:04. I'll probably pop out for a trot this evening.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Will, tell your dad if he can get down to 25:57 that will give him an age graded score of 70%. A graded time of 18:31. If he can get 29:34 with little prep and still have enough puff then that is doable. Its just a case of time on feet. I take it he is retired, in which case he has the advantage of being able to dedicate time to training, time to resting and time to cross train. The holy trinity.  If anyone is thinking 'but he is 73" yes I know but unless the other 148 runners behind him decided to get up for 9am for a timed stroll he is not frail, just undertrained.

Today 12miles at 8.02 min/mi pace. Temperture 20 degrees so kept it shaded but took in 800 plus ft of elevation to avoid being too gentle with myself. Added the extra mile because I increase milage next week and 12 miles is the new Sunday run, and I will be doing it after work next week so I am prepared mentally.

• Parkrun yesterday after arriving back from NYC Friday morning and feeling jet-lagged in 24:39. Then a slow 3 miles this morning.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Just a quickie as I'm on a friend's computer - Liverpool done in 4:22:22 which is much better than I expected, given the hills, the warm conditions and the shingles. I did slow down a lot but never resorted to walking (which I did last year), so I smashed my course best by 15 minutes. :smiley:
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Many congratulations Cal. With a tricky lead-in that's serious resource and endurance. And good 5k's all over the place.
    4miles in 28mins on the treadmill after a gym session today. Strange thing yesterday when out on my bike - a driver stuck his head out the window and shouted "nazi". Or maybe "yahtzee". 
    Well done Cal that's a big course PB and that despite the shingles. 
  • Stephen E FordeStephen E Forde ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Is that the bike JT?

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Stephen E Forde said:
    Is that the bike JT?
    That's the one. It's my third beich.
  • Amazing marathon time Cal! Congratulations x

1 mile warm up
    6 x 800 metre reps
    cool down

Reps were a little slower than I’d hoped for.
  • JT141 said:
    Stephen E Forde said:
    Is that the bike JT?
    That's the one. It's my third beich.
    Bet its crap in the snow ( I stole that one but I thought it worth sharing

Anyways....today 6 mile recovery at 9:40 min/mi pace To make sure I stayed good and slow I chose to do the run partly down the Holloway road. Too busy to go belting down you see. Also because I don't like running really slow, making myself do it in a very public busy place for a very good reason reminds me that I must stick to the process no matter what. 
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Cal you did amazing, what a great year of running you're having. Your hard work is paying off :-)
  • Fantastic Liverpool result, Cal. Great stuff!

In an attempt to get back in the saddle and because I was champing at the metaphorical bit, I hit the cooling tarmac of my fine city last night. There's still a measure of unwelcome sputum in my lungs so my breathing was not too sharp and a fair amount of coughing was involved. As for my form, well that was flopping all over the place. A pleasant evensong from the Blackbirds but probably should have given my chest another couple of days to clear really. A tad under 3 miles at slower than my Dad pace. There we are.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Great punning JT :-) i would have been proud of that one
    Stephen, what is the event, please remind me. I'm old :-/
    Will, easy mate
    Andrea, good speed work
    Me- still not really back to the Tuesday 6 am speed work after the m******* disaster, so it was a tempo-ish run of around 5 miles, but chatty, so not really tempo.. anyway, it was a nice run and set me up for the day, as ever.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    7.2miles yesterday evening in 55mins. A bit wheezy. Still warm though under a low copper sun.
    I was thinking about Stephen's post on slower recovery runs. I tend to run on feel, but my natural pace parameters are quite narrow. So tonight I slowed things right down. And it was awful. I somehow progressively got slower because it was so physically taxing running slowly, which just makes no sense. Anyway, persevered. No choice really as my body simply couldn't speed up. 10.5miles at 8:50min/miles. I didn't like it. I'm not doing it again.
    Got shouted at for the second night in a row. Not even words, just noise. You can see the conflict play out on the face of some attention needy young man desperate to shout yet painfully incapable of mentally assembling words in time. So you get this incoherent ear piss. Not even a swear. If you can't formulate a basic swear at a moments notice then you're just not cut out for shouting stuff at strangers in the street.
    You do meet an interesting variety of people out running JT.  I'm not keen on the slow recovery runs either (unless I am knackered) but I try to cover a range of paces - more or less successfully.

Nice reps Andrea, keep working at it.

Like the dad pace Will.  

Have you any events lined up Nessie?  The speedwork will come back to you when you are ready for it.

An unusually crap recovery run for me on Monday - had to drag my unwilling body around.   Followed by a much better group run yesterday - the standard 6 miler.  There was a massive thunderstorm a few miles to the south-east but several of us had checked online on its progress and we agreed we would be ok to run.  The backdrop of black clouds was quite impressive.  Took it nice and easy as I will be racing this evening.  Not a full out effort though as it is too soon after the marathon for that - rather a social outing with the team. 
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    10.3miles tonight in my vivobarefoots. 1hr16 so more typical pace, though splits a bit atypical. I felt more myself than yesterday.
    More shoutyness. People get a bit giddy in the warm light evenings. Got called a "prick" and "pussy"' once I'd passed a bloody big group on the edge of a park. As heckles go it's a step up, though there was plenty of lead up time and he did get stuck on naming genitals. There's no real animosity in this stuff, it's just a safe way to show off and assert yourself in front of peers. And to be fair in can make you itchy and irritable when your pubes first break through.
  • Sounds like a nice trot out, Hazelnut.

I aim to soon join the ranks of early morning runners, Nessie - I hope they set me up too.

Such untalented verbal abusers these days, JT. What do they learn at school all day?

Well, I trotted out myself tonight, still at the pace of an asthmatic old goat. Not so much coughing tonight but my lungs are still not firing on all cylinders, which made the 4 miles feel like a real effort. I ran taller, but felt like I'd been out of action for much longer than I actually have. The last mile felt a bit more authentic, but I suppose I'll just have to keep easing back into it. 

I run, therefore I am.
  • Stephen E FordeStephen E Forde ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    No run today as I am having a rest day.
    Yesterday morning 8 miles at easy pace and the evening before 6 miles easy. Between 8;14 and 8:21 min/mi pace. The 8 miles being much better in terms of consistent pace.
    Friday afternoon I may to a tempo run. 20 minutes or more. Will see.
    Due to social events on Saturday this week will peak at 40 miles. An increase of 5% but not the 10% i wanted. 

As for recovery runs here is the reason https://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/rethinking-junk-miles
    Basically you get better when you find the balance between stress and volume. Recovery runs enable that, along with easy runs. When your running more than 5 times a week you should do them. If your running doubles your basically mad if you try to avoid them. Its the last paragraph that is the most salient;

Don’t be too proud to run very slowly in your recovery runs, as Kenya’s runners are famous for doing. Even very slow running counts as practice of the running stride that will yield improvements in your running economy, and running very slowly allows you to run longer (i.e. maximize volume) without sabotaging your next key workout.

Pride comes before the fall, if we are honest about ourselves a lot of injuries are the result of misplace pride. You want to yield the greatest reward for the least effort. Run like a kid not an adult. Be flexible and open to change and adaptation. 

Now I'm off to buy breakfast, and get some air in the morning rain. 

Run well.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Speaking of recovery runs, I got out for mine today. My first post-marathon run has usually been a matter of hobbling 2 miles, but today I did 4 and I wasn't even particularly sore. Still a little tight in places and definitely quite tired but I seem a lot more recovered than I was after Manchester. Either I'm getting used to it or that jaunt around Alton Towers on Monday did my legs some good (we covered a few miles). Or maybe it was the gigantic Eton Mess my friend treated me to on the Tuesday...who knows? Plenty of protein in those meringues.

JT, your post gave me a good laugh. You certainly have a way with words, unlike your various hecklers. Not something that happens to me much now. Turning 50 is like donning an invisibility cloak. I've not had so much as a comment even when wearing my high-vis yellow tights.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Great posts. Sweary from JT. Running nerdery from Stephen, and interesting to boot. Will tentatively back to it. Hazel out in the black clouds, Cal stuffing her face and recovering remarkably quickly.
    Me- did a very slow 4-5ish miles yesterday. Garmin's dying, which is annoying, but I do wonder if it might do me good to separate from it for a while. Also I can't afford a new one :-/
    After that it was an hour OW swimming in the lake, which was great. 
    Hazel, I don't really have any run events lined up, although I'll do a few of the summer club runs, and I'll do one or two autumn HMs as usual. I've got two swim/run events though, and two big-ish swims.

Good summary there Nessie can't add much to that. 

Hill race for me yesterday evening.  Just short of 5 miles with some 1400 feet of climbing in 46:27.  Pretty civilized stuff - mostly up a road and never steep - just one long climb.  Kept in mind that I had run a marathon 10 days earlier and set off sensibly then put in some effort over the last mile and a half as I was feeling good.   Had fun picking my way through part of the field.   Temperature ok but high humidity due to the earlier rain.  Nice little outing with the team. 
  • Yes Nessie I am a complete running nerd. What Garmin do you use? Footpod or gps or both? Try looking on the CEX website. 
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I find it really useful to see how other people go about their running and training. I guess I must be really inefficient at slow pace. Need practice.
    Good hill work Hazel.
    A bit over 8.2miles in late afternoon sun in 1hr03. Pretty warm out. Too early for shouters. Found a really big blister on the inside of my big toe, like a bullfrogs chin.

• Muchos variety in style, pace and aims from the MLRers, as usual. My last day supply teaching today was mainly a question of policing emerging and pretty much submerged young mathematicians. After that a run was much needed and the lungs are finally getting back into shape. An out and back route of 5 miles in 47 mins was an enjoyable stretch out and made feel almost like a runner again. Boom.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • 8.1 miles at 7.35 min/mi pace. Highlight was a young lady on a bike, saying that I was going really fast. I had to disaude her of that by saying I wasn't even going at race pace. Do people even know what you mean when you say that?
    Still....it was a lovely warm evening and the streets were mostly empty. No lairy behaviour from civilians JT. Its been years since I even got a single cat call.