Tights and times

I'm new here so apologies if this has already been discussed.

Do running tights (ordinary not compression) make you run faster?

I tried them for the first time last week and seemed to make my splits 2-3 minutes, per mile quicker. I certainly felt that.
Tagged:

Comments

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Yes. I immediately halved my PB for 10k and HM. 
  • Very interesting skotty.

I might use tights more often then. Not for every run but include in my selection of running clothes. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Compared to tracky bottoms, yeah, sure. Compared to shorts, then no. Any reduction in weight will help so they won't offer an advantage over small racing shorts.
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Cal%20Jones">Cal Jones</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Compared to tracky bottoms, yeah, sure. Compared to shorts, then no. Any reduction in weight will help so they won't offer an advantage over small racing shorts.
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    That's some good advice Cal.

I do have some 5 inch shorts which I wear but I found the tights less restrictive during warm up.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I think you have to dress for comfort. I don't wear short shorts as I have knock knees and chunky thighs so my legs rub together. I wear longer bike-length shorts during warm weather and those are pretty good for the mostpart.
  • What the heck were you wearing before the tights ?  2 or 3 minutes per mile improvement is almost inconceivable unless you were in fancy dress.

(and it's hot now - shorts would be better surely ?)
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/cougie">cougie</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">What the heck were you wearing before the tights ?  2 or 3 minutes per mile improvement is almost inconceivable unless you were in fancy dress.

(and it's hot now - shorts would be better surely ?)</div>
    </blockquote>
    Hi cougie 

Ordinary running shorts with compression or base layer underneath.

As for my time, same route possibly shortened due to the lack of dogs about, stopping me in my tracks.

Other reason why my time was better with tights, more flexibility in my warm up?
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭

...more flexibility in my warm up?

That's one helluva warm-up!

I doubt any mere mortal could effect a 2-3min per mile pace improvement (even if off they're tits on EPO, HGH, Anabolics and Clenbuterol). 

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    I find Asics are the fastest. 
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Ynnec">Ynnec</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText"><blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/filmmaker3">filmmaker3</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">
    ...more flexibility in my warm up?</div>
    </blockquote>

That's one helluva warm-up!

I doubt any mere mortal could effect a 2-3min per mile pace improvement (even if off they're tits on EPO, HGH, Anabolics and Clenbuterol). 

</div>
    </blockquote>
    Closest to that lot was Powerade.
  • There's no way that the tights have made a 2min per mile difference. 
    Either you've run it harder, or you've misrecorded one of the two runs.

But tights are better than the compression stuff with shorts over. I don't see the point of that at all. 
  • Andy B6Andy B6 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Imagine if you swapped the tights for fishnet holdups, you’d be down to sub 4min miles. Never understood why men run in tights, it looks ridiculous.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Andy B6 said:
    Never understood why men run in tights, it looks ridiculous.

Not as ridiculous as having your suspender belt go ping as you sprint for the line. That's a Parkrun I'd sooner forget.