Just begun

Hi all,

A bit about my running situation. I started in March, reaching 5k on my second attempt. After a break, I restarted in late but April and running regularly, I've approached 4 miles. My run includes inclines and slaloms. All doing this while overweight and combining a gym routine. 

My total running time is 75 minutes, just because I keep stopping and slowing. What could I do to not stop and slow down as much? 

I aim for 45 minutes.

Comments

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hi there - well done on getting started.

Not too sure what you mean by slaloms, however as an observation there is absolutely nothing wrong with slowing down during a run. If you download the Couch to 5K (C25K) app as part of the programme you follow on there it will tell you to walk/run/walk/run to begin with and build you up.

It might be an idea, though, to find a flat route that doesn't include inclines in the beginning. This will more likely encourage to you to run for longer.
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/Guarddog">Guarddog</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Hi there - well done on getting started.

Not too sure what you mean by slaloms, however as an observation there is absolutely nothing wrong with slowing down during a run. If you download the Couch to 5K (C25K) app as part of the programme you follow on there it will tell you to walk/run/walk/run to begin with and build you up.

It might be an idea, though, to find a flat route that doesn't include inclines in the beginning. This will more likely encourage to you to run for longer.</div>
    </blockquote>
    Thanks for the advice Guarddog,

Oh and by slalom I meant snaking around trees and bollards.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    If snaking round trees and bollards makes it more fun and interesting for you then it's an excellent way of ensuring you keep running :smiley:
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Second recommendation for Couch to 5k programme, I've got many friends who have followed it and successfully run a 5k.
  • Hi there Im Kirsty Im new to running too, just working up to 5k
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Good luck Kirsty.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    I did the C25K programme. Found it worked really well, especially someone telling me when to run! Now building up to a HM. The programme really does work.