GFA near miss advice please!

2»

Comments

• Hi - just read through this very helpful thread having missed my hoped for GFA time at the London Marathon on Sunday. I am a 39-year-old woman and ran my first marathon in 3:52:37 but wanted 3:45 and had been on track for that throughout training - I blame the sun! Also looking for a May marathon to try again and was considering Worcester but rang the organisers this morning and apparently they don't have the right certification. I can't find a list of accredited UK marathons but any recommendations would be very welcome. Thanks!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Bad luck Sheri, bit of a scorcher wasn't it!  Go to this page and select 'marathon' from the distance box and there is a list of 2018 GB marathons.  You have until early August  :)  

https://www.runbritain.com/races
  • Thank you very much for the link - really helpful!
  • purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭
    Hi sherimarshall. I feel your pain.  It's gutting isn't it? Hope you find your marathon. I'm not convinced I will be recovered enough for mine to pull off the time I need but  Ive got nothing to lose so might as well try.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    sheri - that's a very good run for your first marathon especially in that warm weather.

Worcester should count for GFA times, you'll see from that RunBritain link that Worcester has a full licence so will have an accredited course measurement certificate.  If you're unsure whether an event counts it's best to ask VLM.   Interesting that Worcester don't think they've got the right certification unless VLM have changed their rules.

I've run Worcester a few times, it's an undulating course.
  • PNEFC42PNEFC42 ✭✭
    Purplepig - another Devon based possibility (if you need options) is the Barnstaple marathon (being held this year on 30th September) - I ran it last year (and previously in 2015) and it's almost pancake flat so probably as good a course for PB/GFA qualification potential as you'll find.

Good luck for Exeter on Sunday!

Cheers
    Dave
  • purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave. If things go badly, I might just look at that one :smile:
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    purplepig - I've heard Barnstaple is a good fast course but would be too late for GFA 2019 entries.

Gloucester is another option, but let's hope you don't need another option!

Let's hope you don't have hot weather for Exeter, it should be back to normal then 15/16 degrees
  • purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think if it doesn't come together at Exeter, I will be forced to try again later in the year - meaning as you rightly pointed out shades, I would have to wait for another year. I think I will know within the first few miles if I have recovered sufficiently to give it my all again. If it isn't happening, I will ease off and just complete the race instead of busting a gut for no real gain - leading to an even longer recovery time. I'm feeling much more chilled about it now. What will be will be as they say!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    purplepig - Gloucester is still within the cut off for GFA entries now that the cut off is early August.    And of course you may be lucky in the ballot!

Just as well you didn't choose North Dorset last Sunday, lovely race but it was quite warm.
  • purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭
    Haha...yes it certainly was! Normally go and support my fellow club runners as it's pretty local for me, but sun was calling!
  • Gloucester isn't quite Gloucester this year .it's about three miles south but they're putting on buses to transfer you .

Apparently it's flatter and still certified though .
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    purplepig - how did you get on at Exeter?  Hope you got your GFA time.
  • purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭
    Hi Shades. No, I'm afraid not. I think I knew I wasn't really ready to give it my all again, but it was worth a go. I enjoyed the race, although had to be careful with quite a few switch backs (turning around a man or a cone!). It was pretty warm, but lots of bottled water meant I could keep throwing it over me. I got to half way at the pace I needed, but knew I was starting to slow already so eased off to enjoy it. I'm entered into Abingdon, so I will have to retrain later in the year and try for 2020!!
    Thanks everyone for your help/advice :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    purplepig - Never mind, you gave it your best shot, that's the most anyone could do on the day.    Just as well you weren't going to rely on Gloucester as it's been switched to an off road course in the Forest of Dean this year as the council can't approve the road closures etc in time for this year.

You never know you might get an elusive ballot place for VLM.

Abingdon is a fast course and conditions are usually ideal at that time of year, I'm sure you'll get that GFA time there.
  • Gloucester is cancelled is there any other? I need sub 3:50. 43 year old female ran 3:48:49 lochness last year but not sure thats enough. Cramped manchester. Ran windermere legs fine ? anyone think any uk races before august? 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    nikki - Yeovil 10th June, flat with gentle undulations.  I would think you'd be OK with your Loch Ness time though. 
  • purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your comment Andy B6. I may have missed out, but my life at least is not so sad that I have to send crappy messages to people to try and make them feel bad. You didn't by the way -make me feel bad! You actually made me feel so much better because instead of feeling gutted about something that went wrong but I'm sure I will be able to put right one day, it made me laugh and realise that life could be so much worse. I could be YOU. I could be someone with no friends or life and so much time on their hands they need to try and upset people!!! You are sad - but a joke at the same time...well done, that's actually pretty clever. I didn't know there was such a thing as a sad joke!!!

Oh, and by the way - an ass is a type of donkey. I presume you mean my lazy arse?? Perhaps your time would be better spent going back to school ???
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    purplepig - well said.  
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Andy B6 - narrowly missing out on a target / GFA time is very frustrating, your lack of empathy and consideration speaks volumes about you. Perhaps if you could run a marathon, give it 100% effort and commitment, and come very close to a demanding target time, you would appreciate how much of an achievement this is. Until then, maybe you should wind your neck in and if you don't have anything constructive to say, say nothing?

PP - I missed out on GFA a couple of years ago by around 30 seconds, I share your pain. If it's any help, on my next one I made a real point of taking the "racing line" and not going wide around corners, and took around 2 minutes off my time, I think when you're as close to your time as that it can make a difference. Good luck!

• purplepigpurplepig ✭✭✭
    Thanks rodeoflip - I def need all the tips!! 
  • YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
    low emotional intelligence (low EQ) + psychopathy = obnoxious troll

Best strategy is to ignore it.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Maybe just stick with "twat"

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Skinny no. Old yes.

You're still a twat - and a wanker (by your own admission). But credit where it's due, you've learned to read.

Bye bye.