Comrades 2018

Comments

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    SS - less is definitely more now, but only for running. Rest well and eat loads ;)
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Runners Numbers

Max M 2 - 12333
    Southern Snail - 10994
    Debra - 11206 
    Becca7 - 20607
    McHilly - 12749
    Matt.. - 55489
    Seren Nos - 8140
    Carmen23 - 12287
    Marty74 - 20885
    Mac3 - 24872
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Runners Numbers

Max M 2 - 12333
    Southern Snail - 10994
    Debra - 11206 
    Becca7 - 20607
    McHilly - 12749
    Matt.. - 55489
    Seren Nos - 8140
    Carmen23 - 12287
    Marty74 - 20885  
    Mac3 - 24872
    Slow Duck - 9436

• lovely sunny day today..managed a slow 10K today to match yesterdays slow 10K.. only fgot a few more runs to do.. Going to hopefully do Bushy Park parkrun onm Saturday before heading for Heathrow
  • Hey Seren - thats my neck of the woods. Do you have accommodation sorted or can we put you up?
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Travel list - Arrivals

Arrive Sunday

Jar

Arrive Tuesday

MM2 dep AMS arr AMS 10:35

Arrive Thur

SS dep UK 7pm dep JNB 09:35 arr DBN 10:40

McHilly, Slow Duck dep LHR 20:05  arr JNB 08:10 dep JNB 12:45 arr DBN 13:50

Becca7 dep BHM via dubai arr DBN 16:20

Debra via dubai arr DBN 16:20

Arrive Friday

Lowrez approx. 5pm

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Just finished listening to the last webinar online. The route description was fantastic but now has made me slightly nervous......
  • Anyone flying out of J'burg to Paris on Tuesday 12th 6:50pm flight?
  • Marty74 - if you're nervous, then I'm super nervous. Maybe I won't listen to it :/
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Hi All - I've made the decision to not run Comrades this year.  Severe injury is the only outcome if I were to run it.  I've currently got hip pain, achilles pain and am on the verge of periostitis in my right leg.  (My left leg is fine though).

It would seem I will have to face the inevitable and see if an orthotic would help. I haven't been able to run much over the last 2 years all due to my various pains.

2019 then.....
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    ....I've entered Soweto Marathon on 4th November as my qualifier for 2019
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    That's probably wise Bike It but it's a massive disappointment nonetheless.  I've used orthotics for years following a stress fracture in my shin where I had to defer my first London marathon.  Hope you get yourself fixed up for Soweto and the 2019 race. 

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Really sorry to hear that Bike It, disappointing but a wise decision.  I hope you make good progress soon.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Sorry you won't be running Bike It, will you be getting more space to run and less driving over the next few months? I know it was a struggle for you to simply get out onto the road at times this year. Are you dropping in to Durban for some pasta? Will we see you at the finish?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    My number was born in 1984 and had 5 previous owners, one of them a silver medal finisher in 1987 at 6:58:29, I am proud of thier lowrez style dip over the line to get that, they returned the following year to do their second up run in a row - I am currently the longest, and slowest holder :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Runner Numbers

Max M 2 - 12333
    Southern Snail - 10994
    Debra - 11206
    Becca7 - 20607
    McHilly - 12749
    Matt.. - 55489
    Seren Nos - 8140
    Carmen23 - 12287
    Marty74 - 20885
    Mac3 - 24872
    Slow Duck - 9436
    1owrez - 10878

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ha ha - trying to be too clever, that was meant to be in the South African flag colours with Debra and Carmen being SeaGreen, maybe they are and the html colour is not that distinct from black :)
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind comments

I won't be going to Durban - I'm a contractor and don't get any paid holiday an have already have to have 2w off this month as my Mum became very ill and died.  So for June we have limited budget already.

Longer term I'm selling my house in the UK and, if the politics allow, buy a farm in SA.  Also I am thinking to formalise things to be an electrician - I am a Chartered Engineer with Masters in Electronics so it is very easy for me to design and build quality electrical systems .  Unfortunately would I face a tsunami of paperwork and exams to do this and so bureaucracy may limit this.  If it does come off I would move to 'semi-retired' in a few years combining a bit of farming and a bit of other work.  Let's see.
  • Sorry to hear of your bereavement and run of bad luck with injuries BikeIt. Let's hope 2019 brings better times and you're change of career and new life in South Africa come through. Best of luck however things develop going forward.
  • Bike It - really sorry to hear you have to pull out. You've been having problems a long time and I hope you can sort them for next year. Very sad about your mum too. It sounds like you have many large decisions ahead of you and I wish you well.

Lowrez - fancy list. Definitely not sea green though!!
  • Hello all,  so just 11 clear days before Comrades ....asijiki (gulp) 

• No 12846 for me for the 4th time
  • Dannirr, sympathies and I hope the hip holds out.

jkissane: well done on that one -looks like it was an excellent training run.

Bike It: sympathies. A hard decision to make, but best of luck for 2019. Sympathies also for your bereavement, and good luck with your other plans.

Yesterday completed my 50th marathon/ultra with 33.26 miles in 6:10 at the SVN Spring Cakeathon. A lot less hilly than Comrades but hot and sunny, so good training - and I did run all the inclines (and the rest, except for going through the stiles and at the aid station). Two other people there who are also heading for Comrades had respectively spent the long weekend on marathon/marathon/half marathon and 50K/50K/50K, so my run was minor, really! Legs feel fine today, but I’m fuzzy round the edges after a horrible headache yesterday evening. Tapering from here.
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Bike it - sorry to hear about your bereavement.
  • Bike-It sorry I posted without fully reading all the updates....very sorry to hear of your loss and your decision to pull out of the race.   Next time! 
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭

Bike it: sorry to hear about your loss, and I started with a bad hip last year and ended up with a DNF and on crutches for 2 months so a wise decision.

My number is 47902.

Flight, Arrive on the Wednesday morning LHR - JNB BA leaves 19:05 and arrives 07:05, flight to Durban at 10am, arrives 11am

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Bike It sorry your Mum passed away.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    BI - sorry for your loss but stay strong
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Bike It, I've just seen your bad news after my previous post. Condolences on the loss of your mom.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    So sorry for your loss Bike It.  I hope your plans for the future will work out for the best.

Matt - good to hear from you.  I hope the long journey over goes well.

Looks like lots of us will be at the Belaire this year.  

Danirr - sorry that training has not gone well this year.  It's great that you have been able to train on the AlterG and I hope that this will have enabled you to maintain your fitness.

JK - good running at that marathon.  Looks like great training.

I ran Leiden half marathon at the weekend.  It was great warm weather training and a bit too warm for a fast time.  I've not regained my pace after injuries at the end of last year/start of this year so I will be starting on the speed work once I'm recovered from Comrades.