Favourite Spring Marathons?

Having done Manchester three times and Liverpool twice, I am thinking about trying something new next year so I'm interested to know which marathons you folks enjoy the most. I am in the London ballot, of course, but in the likely event I don't get in, I'll need a good alternative. I am open to foreign races though I have a limited income so I wouldn't want to travel to the other side of the world, and I would definitely prefer a race that uses bottles and not cups, so I don't end up waterboarding myself at the aid stations.
Tagged:

Comments

• CormorantCormorant ✭✭✭
    Edinburgh? I can't compare it to anything because it's the only one I've run - this weekend for the first time as it happens!

They changed the route this year so you actually stay in Edinburgh for the first few miles instead of immediately running out to East Lothian. It's UK based so fits your travel budget hopefully. In some past years, organisation had some hiccups but it seems to have been ok recently and worked well this year. They used bottles and most of the stations gave you a choice of caps on or not.

Someone that's run Edinburgh and other marathons would be better placed to comment but that's a starter for ten.
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Haven't run it but Prague looks interesting and cost shouldn't be prohibitive. 
  • Not done it either but I've heard very good reports of Seville which being in February is a bit earlier than most.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hmm I could definitely be tempted by an early or late Spanish marathon. But I've decided to go for Vienna (reason being is that I went this March with my mate - we're both into rides and rollercoasters - but almost everything in Prater Park was closed due to snow. So it's a chance to go back and do the rides as much as anything (the fact that Vienna is one of the most beautful cities on Earth doesn't hurt either.)
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Cal - for your next one, I wouldn't recommend Edinburgh. It's probably my most local one, but I wouldn't bother - the route is boring, unimaginative and the whole event is poorly organised and not the best. If you're happy to travel a little ways Paris could be a good option - very cheap if booked early, great route, well-supported, easy to get to. Highly recommend.
  • Copenhagen is very good.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Paris is definitely on my radar for another year. Copenhagen looks good too.
  • I've run Brighton before, and I have to say the atmosphere is amazing. The final stretch running alongside the sea helps give you that added bit of encouragement!
    www.cluelesscardio.com