Thursday 31st May 2018 - It's a coin toss, it's a game on

Morning.

Lyrics - It's a coin toss, it's a game on

A two day taper sounds about right Donaldo 
:) 

Hope all is well with chicksta and she was just too busy to come back and tell us what she'd done.

We are forecast a warmer day today but it's grey at the moment.

What:            easy miles/physio
Why:             taper/maintenance
Last hard:     tapering
Last rest:      4/5
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

Sorry, meant to post yesterday and fell asleep instead!

Did 19.5 km, meant to be 18, but must have measured route out a bit long.  Felt good though I was reminded about how hilly it is round here!

What: circuits and the start of the wedding cake baking
    Why: marathon training, plus I think something's happening tomorrow and Saturday (cakes are needed for Saturday).
    Last hard: this whole month hasn't been easy.  Luckily it's over tomorrow!
    Lyrics: nope

Don which half are you doing?
    LMH hoping it stays cool here.  Having the oven on all day when it's hot is not pleasant!
    Ale yay for MLR.  Though 4 km is a lot more than a lot of people can do.

Have a lovely day all.  I'm enjoying my last day of freedom :tongue:

• WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Morning

Em: Enjoy your last day of freedom:-) also cake baking etc:-)

LMH:Enjoy the easy miles and  hope physio is no too ouchy today;-)

Ale: Great news on MLR!

What 11.05 miles
    Why: Because I  can
    Last hard: Sleeping and tired legs
    Lyrics: Yes
    Mileage for the month:223.79
    Rest day: 2

I am so pleased it is all going so well:-) I saw a Heron and a Kingfisher this morning first time  in a long while:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DubaiDaveDubaiDave ✭✭✭
    Morning

Dustin: Competition drives me on, during my 2.5 year absence there are many in the club who have gone past me, time to haul them back in but I do accept I'm very unlikely to run a sub 40 min 10K again (its been 5 years).

WP: You run some serious miles, do you ever do any speed work or hill reps?

Don: I'm going for the one day taper for my 1/2M on Sunday but then its not about time but building back the base for me.

EM: Have fun baking

AH: Your making progress in the right direction.

Chick: I take it your'e doing Berlin then, I'm considering Bournemouth in the Autumn. Seems like a long time since we did Boston. Do you ever hear from 2OTR?

What: A 1.5K swim done, some speed work tonight

Why: Wanted to see if I could still swim 1.5K straight, easily is the answer just need to speed up 36 mins is not good. Speed work tonight because its the club hill race tonight and I've git injured twice doing that so staying away!

Last Hard: Hammering the bike last night.

Lyrics: One day
  • BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    Welsh: Blinking Nora Snakes Alive! That is some miles Welsh, really impressed, well done. Tried to find my month ending miles... see below

LMH: Good luck with the taper, really hope niggles don't hold you up

Don/Chick: Good miles yesterday, double figuers

Don/DD: You two should have a head to head for scalps but make it a bike v run competition that has been worked out as an overly-complex but equal and fair event.

Emz: Again cracking miles there, a very busy time, hope you have a Lazy Susan for the cakes. Spent a good chunk of time with youngest daughter trying to track one down yesterday.

Ale: Progress! Superb!

Youngest daughter made a multicoloured cake yesterday, we went looking for a 'Lazy Susan' never heard of what it is by that name yesterday to ice it multi-coloured. Couldn't get one, but great name. Had two massive chunks this morning after weetabix, thought need to do some good miles to burn it off.

Then read Welsh's miles, wondered what mine are for the month. Connected Garmin Forerunner 205 to sync miles as not done since beginning of April and found that latest Garmin sync software on my Mac OS no longer supports the older 205 GPS units.

Can't export data from Garmin Connect online to another system without selecting every single activity since 2010 individually. Tedious, then some way through page refreshes or stalls meaning start again etc.

Very dissapointed with Garmin, I now either have to forget about logging my miles and progress or dispose and upgrade from my trusty old 1960s Russian space technology looking GPS watch to something modern when it still works fine. Love my Garmin 205, strap broke ages ago and now have it on an old Nato strap from the cupboard on it. It looks odd but never misses a beat.

Let down by Garmin on hardware through lack of support with no warning and with online services with the difficulty in export. Might go for a Timex Ironman GPS system instead now. They appear inexpensive and can display distance/pace/time elapsed on one screen and get good reviews, don't need anything fancy.

Was aiming at 1600 miles in 2018, so need to see my totals, going to have to spend best part of a day getting my miles out of Garmin Connect

Sorry chaps rarely rant at things, but that is one. I limit myself to three rants a year in general.

What: Day off, run off cake, thinking a 7 with hills maybe 8, then a damn good 60-90 min stretch session at gym

Why: Because I have engaged in an in-depth rant

Lyrics: Hurmph! No

However, have a good day today chaps.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    Woke up feeling like death warmed up (stomach/sickness) so trying to figure out what I ate that disagreed with me. Supposed to be out tonight after work, but I'll see how that plays out as the day goes on, so had already factored in a non running day.
    Just keep the fluids topped up, and may slink off early and go to sleep...

DD: 25m or 50m pool?
    Just asking as ours is a 25m and the turning really slows me down, been praticing turns/flip-overs to get them down as have neglected them in recent years.
  • DubaiDaveDubaiDave ✭✭✭
    BB: 25m pool, I don't flip turn anymore as its not a skill required in Tri and I really suffer from Chlorine. I find that using flip turns sets me off even more so they were abandoned. I would easily be 10% quicker in open water in a wet suit.
  • DubaiDaveDubaiDave ✭✭✭
    and on the subject of your rant my seven year old 910XT just died on me but prior to that I realised that there was no software update to get to upload to my mac. I've switched to a Tom Tom spark 3 which does the same job for less money
    DD: See what you mean about wetsuit, giving a bit of bouyancy. Thanks for advice on TT Spark, I did look at a TT in a shop about a year ago out of curiosity, I'll look in to that model, I don't need multisport, heart rate etc just pace, distance and elapsed time on one screen at a glance. It is the update to High Sierra that has messed it all up for me, borrowed an old windows laptop at the moment just to get everything off my Garmin.
  • I couldn't leave Garmin - love them. Have you tried contacting their customer support Benjy? I currently import using Garmin Express. My 230 (which is mega lightweight compared with my previous 310xt) has room for three data fields at a time and a scrolling display. I have a lazy Susan - I think it came from Ikea.

What are you baking for your wedding cake emzap? Hope it goes ok. Horribly muggy here.

Like you when I got back in the pool I found that distance was no issue DD, I was never fast and my shoulder will prevent me being even that good again if I tried but I can just keep plodding - a bit like my running really.

Hope you feel better soon Dustin. Not sure you should have dragged yourself into work.

Good going Poppy.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Benjy:https://www.amazon.co.uk/TEMPERED-ROTATING-TURNTABLE-SERVING-DECORATING/dp/B06W55R2WD/ref=pd_sim_201_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B06W55R2WD&pd_rd_r=9f407be7-64bd-11e8-b798-35d2d7a1b17f&pd_rd_w=it1Yl&pd_rd_wg=0Yony&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=3274180622111699416&pf_rd_r=B1MM7D8JNQQES0A1ZVYF&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=B1MM7D8JNQQES0A1ZVYF

Sorry to  hear about your Garmin issues Like LMH I had a Garmin 310xt and bought a light weight 230 it took me a while to get used to it.But I love it  to bits easy to use uploads quickly locks onto satelites quick as well. I have had  4 garmin's before that it was the Timex GPS I much prefer the Garmin. 
    I hope you can retrieve your data!

DD: I can't do speed work or hill reps My achilles ruptured must 12 years ago and it hates them.I run easy miles and listen to my body and jolly grateful for what it can do:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Circuits complete.  Gin and tonic cake baked and nearly iced.  Chocolate cake layer 1 baked.  Need to bake the other chocolate then ice it and bake the earl grey.

Very humid here which is messing with the buttercream!

Regarding watches, I've only had one Garmin and it's been going 8 years (it's starting to go though, the strap is breaking).
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Hope all goes to plan tomorrow, Emz...and in the future!

re Garmins, quite strange but my 310XT seems to have died overnight as I can't get it to hold charge. Just done a full reset and it is on charge. Have a Tomtom 2 which I wear as an ordinary watch and for heart rate, but don't like it as much as the Garmin and it measures short.

What: short run plus exercise suite

Why: Thursday

Lyrics: no
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • What: 5k loop done
    why: thought I'd better run again
    last hard: driving home from Skye
    last rest: yesterday (didn't fancy track session)
    lyrics: no

• Progress AH
    All the best for the morn Emzap 
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Emzap, its the Alloa Half on Sunday, postponed in March due to snow.

Poppy, never seen a Kingfisher, lucky you!

DD, have a good run on Sunday in your half.

Benjy, lol.  Also, I love my Garmin Fenix 5X, its a beast I wont be changing for a while! 

OH, looks superb.

Hoping to get out for at least 4.3 miles which would take me to 200 for the month, not bad coming off a marathon. 

Lyrics, nope.
  • Sounds as though it's all going well emzap. Hope you have a lovely day tomorrow. Can you get a replacement strap for your Garmin.

Beautiful pictures OH.

Has that sorted it Alehouse?

Hope you can get out for your run Donaldo.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Aye made it out, 5 miles but tired.  2 days off before Alloa for sure. 
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    great pics OH

Love my 310XT :-) works well most the time - looking at one of the polar ones though for my next buy....

a couple of recovery runs on Tues and today... now home after holidays in Edinburgh / Arran and Knaresborough.... :-)

Take care all
  • The come down: nearly 5h waiting at Aberdeen airport  :'(