Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well, the fact I hit a (local) parkrun PB two weeks after Liverpool means my recovery is improving. If I can avoid breaking my body during the rest of the year, that would be good.
  • Iain LoveIain Love ✭✭✭
    Afternoon folks. A quick check in while in the car on the way home ..I tag the dambusters ultra today ..fairly warm and humid but a good day...I ran 35.7 in 5:11:04.. So pretty happy about that ..
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Very speedy, Iain, well done!

• Shades- I'm back to work tomorrow after a period of time off so the first thing I will do is check my holidays for next year my world will need to wait.

Iain- really good running there.

Ran the Alloa half today. Got up this morning very tired due to terrible sleep mainly caused be a very humid night so wasn't really in the right frame of mind to start with. Made my way there and the buzz came back, the weather was quite warm about 17/18 but very humid conditions with a slight breeze. At the start wasn't sure on how to run it so just ran to feel. It was more undulating than I remember from last year and set off very this part about 7.20 pace already by mile 4 I could feel the humidity taking effect so tried to slow slightly. The next couple of miles even hydrating well it was having no effect. By about mile 9 I started to struggle getting a breath the breeze had disappeared by this time and I was still stuggling with the conditions so as we approached the short hill at just past mile 10 I took the desicion to walk it and take on a gell. The final 3 miles my breathing just wasn't getting better so I walked parts of each mile to the end and finished with a time of 1.39 which was a 5 min improvement on the event last year and 1 min outside my pb. More than happy with this and took positives that I know the my speed has improved and a pb is definitely achievable. It is such a great race about 2000 entrants and organised very well on a very good course. On my walking parts the encouragement from other runners was excellent and appreciated. Will definitely enter appreciated gain for next year.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Cal - that's great news that you are considering DD now :) 

Big G - I'll be entering Dorchester again in 2019.

Re your post race analysis, I don't think it's possible to focus on every single race.   And for those that might say some of us race too often I've seen more disasters from those that focus too much on just one event.

Iain - that's a great result

steven - well considering you found the conditions hard and you took a walk break that's an amazing result that you were only a minute outside your PB and a healthy course best.    If the race had gone ahead on the original date you may well have got that PB.   

Ian - I meant to comment earlier, I see you did a good long run so I suspect you have an event in mind to do soon that we maybe don't know about?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Steven-Great result to have a big improvement on last year,shows how much you are coming on.
    Shades-I wanted to see how I felt going long again,got a 10k in 2 weeks,then a HM the week after and looking to see if I can do a full 2 weeks after that,can only see an enigma one at the minute,laps in itself doesn't bother me,even considered a track one again in July but meeting friends instead now that weekend.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - hope you can find a race, I've just added this to my ever-growing wish list, I think it's the right weekend for you but probably not practical 

http://excelsports.ie/

Big G - I've just been looking at some of the DD pics on FB, very good and some nice ones of you looking calm and focussed :)

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I haven't seen them yet, but one of the photographers said he had some great ones of me, by which he meant awful!  Out of all the ones I've seen so far I, along with most other people, have been walking up a hill.  I did actually do some running, honest!  When I took photos last year at the DD I was put at the bottom of a slope in the first 8-miles, so at least people were still running then ;) 

Just had a quick chat with Ruth on IM and she said that yesterday she initially said "never again", but she's already reconsidering ;)  She had hamstring issues/cramp :(  
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Thats the right weekend but not viable,esp when I seen scenic(hilly) and challenging(hilly)
    There's some possibles later in July so may have a look at them.
    I forgot I'm also doing a 5 mile race on Wednesday,should be a PB as I've only raced one 2 years ago.My chance of the win has just gone though as Jonny Mellor is entered.
  • SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭
    This thread moves so fast, just missed a few days and Iain seems to have run 3 ultras!! Amazing! And well done to Big G for running so well at DD - sounds like a great race, but I’m not tempted for 2019!

Big G - I really want to go to the Dolomites now. We considered it for this summer but struggled to find accommodation in peak summer hols so going to Spain/France instead.

Shades - a club friend ran Dorchester last weekend and really enjoyed it. He’s run about 5 marathons this year and Dorchester was his speediest.

I ran the London 10,000 in Monday. It was my slowest time in a few years (41:40)but I was pleased to get quite a big negative split. Those race stats you get were a bit odd though - I must have started in the top 300 but apparently I overtook 6K runners in the 1st 5k! Conversely, OH, who started right at the back, with 15k runners in front of him spent the whole time overtaking (he got a PB of 47 mins) but according to the stats, he was overtaken by thousands! Something not quite right there.

Was supposed to run a summer league race today (5 miles) but woke up with stomach cramps. Probably could have raced but fancied a slow 10 miles instead. I have my club’s ‘marathon week’ starting on Friday (you basically run 26 miles over 5 consecutive days of racing on different terrains - sand, woods, track, road, hills). Unfortunately on the 6th day, when I’ll want to rest and recover, I’m having my 24 hr HR monitor attached, so will need to muster up some strength to get the HR high!
  • Shades- I was intending starting my training for my marathon in October in the next week or so, in terms of my training plan do you think I should follow your plan that you gave me for Stirling.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - the photos I saw of you were good, not looking stressed or knackered.  The video clip of the start you are running along laughing ;) 

That's great news that Ruth will be back to have another go.  It's not a race to get cramp problems.

Ian - maybe that Donegal race another year for you, there's a half too for your OH.   That is the most beautiful course, I've driven along there.

Let Jonny Mellor get ahead of you, he's had a tough year doesn't need anymore disappointment. 

SK - pity we can't tempt you to do DD, you'd do really well and be right up there in the prizes.
    Dorchester is a lovely marathon, undulating, there's a half too (closed roads) and camping with a barn dance if you wanted to take the family, the White Star lot that organise it are bonkers in the nicest way.

Peculiar stats at your 10km, did they do the starts in waves perhaps and then consolidate the times ?

Good you're getting your HR test done, not brilliant timing but I suppose it won't make much difference as I guess it's the changes over a 24 hour period that count.

steven - It's entirely up to you what plan you follow for your autumn marathon.   If there are changes you want to make then make them, if you want to add in some hill reps or some intervals to give you a bit of variety then do so.   Training should be enjoyed not a chore and of course needs to fit into your work/life schedule.

Nice morning, but chilly, could have done with my gloves or long sleeves for early section which had lifting mist, I was trying to tuck my arms up the hem of my shirt to keep warm.   Lovely summer smell of hay making, I do love the bright mornings.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SK, I'd really recommend the Dolomites to anyone.  As Shades said, you'd be up there in the prizes for the DD ;)  

Legs feel surprisingly okay, although I'm physically quite tired still, but will hopefully do a run later.  I may go to club as I expect there'll be some chat about DD, or just do my own thing earlier in the day.  

I went to a friend's BBQ last night, and had a good feed ;)  Another first, as that was my first BBQ without drinking booze, and it was fine with no issues.  Over 5 months alcohol free now!

Not a bad pic of me at the finish.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - lovely photo, you look really fresh and happy.

You seem to have escaped the dreaded DOMS, did you sleep better?

I think you've encountered all the most difficult challenges re the drinking, stag parties, a wedding and a BBQ.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, the legs are a bit sore, but I had quite a lot worse after Cornish!  Not sure why that is; I think possibly the electrolytes I had at DD, which I didn't take at Cornish?

Yes, I did sleep a bit better too, which is good.

I was really happy at that point.  Do you sometimes remember certain moments in races?  For me I have a few - i.e., Munich at 13.1 when I just consciously decided to up the pace, Nottingham with 6 to go and just felt so confident of a time I had been working for.  Well, at DD that moment when I passed 2-miles to go, and then on to the finish was a great feeling and a great memory, which has been added to that little mental list of mine.  That's not to say I didn't enjoy the rest of the race, because of course I did, it's just that that moment stands out for some reason and I was grinning like a loon most probably.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    SK, I saw that!  I opened Facebook and saw my face staring back at me via the Runner's World page.  Most peculiar.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, I know what you mean about certain moments in races.  I don't have the amazing memory of mamafox in races but there are certainly moments that everything just seems right with the world when I'm exactly where I want to be and doing what I want to do.

Great news that your legs aren't too bad, electrolytes make no difference to DOMS.  DOMS is thought to be caused by the soreness from minuscule muscle tears that happen after a tough event/workout, less DOMS is a good sign of improved fitness.

Back at Yogalates, found it tough but enjoyable after a break of several weeks.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    SK - Nice result at the 10k
    Ian - Nice long run
    Iain - Another ultra!! Brilliant running!!
    Cal - Nice parkrun
    Steven - Good time at the half, big improvement on last year
    Big G - Brilliant running!! Sounds like a really good event too, if not 2019. I might be there in 2020...it's on the list!

Dorridge Fun Run for me on Sunday, decided beforehand that I would run with the GF, she had a tough day with the heat (10:30 start), however 8 miles done at 12 min/miles. Back to usual recovery paces next week, but good to take a real easy week to ease back into it after a week off.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yeah, I know what you mean.  It's interesting though as my main memories aren't PBs etc, but moments like that.  Of course I'm delighted when I get a PB and I still want to get PBs, but they're not my main memory when I look back at races.  

I know when I crossed the finish line at City to Sea last year, I was spent....but just knew I had to do the race again as I loved it.  The time at that one was nearly 5:30, which was a PW at the time (since bettered with my 6:59 at that LDWA event!), but still a fantastic memory crossing that finish line.  If I compile a list of top 5 memories, I don't reckon my Malta race/time would even feature in it!  Not even when I first went under 4hrs comes in it, as that was an Enigma event and really I had a crap race.  In no particular order it's probably:
    - London Marathon in 2010 and seeing Claire at the 400m to go marker.  I had an awful run (my first marathon), but that moment will stay with me forever, as I ran up the Mall with tears in my eyes.
    - Nottingham, when feeling so confident of getting a sub-3:30 with 6-miles to go.  This isn't so much about the time as such, but I wish I could recreate that confident feeling every race!  I know really this is just because I paced it so well on the day.
    - Similarly, at Munich, making that conscious decision to speed up and passing a large amount of people in the second half of the race.  A great feeling. 
    - City to Sea.  The wind, rain, mud and cow shit made it a very tough event and I think probably the most shattered I've been immediately after a race, but I just knew I wanted to do it again.
    - And of course, DD.  That "2-miles to go" feeling was a great one!

Maybe I'm confusing DOMS with cramp then, as electrolytes help with cramp I think, don't they?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-that's an amazing picture at the end of such a race,I don't look that cool at the start.
    Big G/Shades-I know what you mean about memories in races,my last half and full have been my 2 favourites,I purposely high 5'd every kid I could see and clapped all the group's cheering us etc. I did wonder how much energy I used but was just out to enjoy the races.
    Shades-it's a 3 lap race on Wednesday so my biggest challenge will not getting lapped.
    Didn't have time after work yesterday for a run,surprisingly felt good after the long one on Saturday,so a nice 8 miles in the sun this afternoon.Actually feel like I can really look forward now.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Great news, Ian.  Sounds like you're really coming into a good phase with training etc.  

In case anyone is interested, Rock N Roll are having their annual sale on 6th June.  Full email is below (I think the time equates to 8am our time):
    Best Prices of the Year on Wednesday, 6 June 

We're celebrating running on 6 June by offering the best prices of the year for all Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series events!

The sale is one day only, starting at 12am PT.

Explore all events and deals today and then set your alarm for 12am PT on 6 June because the best deals are in limited supply.
    http://www.runrocknroll.com/global-running-day/
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - 2020 it is then for you at DD :) 

My friend did Edinburgh and said the organisation has improved, but still a 20 minute walk at the finish to get the bus back into the city so advises just to take the normal buses or a taxi.

Big G - Those moments that are so special to you are the type of memory that we are supposed to use in our brain training that we had.

Yes, electrolytes are supposed to help with cramp.

Just be careful anyone entering those Rock N Roll events I think they use Active.   They were one of the race organisers that didn't bother to reply to runner's emails about the credit card scamming.   No reason why they can't offer a safer way of entering their events.

Ian - well even if Jonny laps you that would make a good photo as it would look like you're running together ;) 

I'm so glad that you are doing so well now, fingers crossed that your injury will soon be history.

Nice run this morning, just a hint of drizzle which is most pleasant at this time of year for running.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - can you let me have the remainder of your June events so I can add to tomorrow's marathon list update.   

That applies to anyone else too, I have OTB's and Iain's already.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I didn't run in the end yesterday, but did 7-miles this morning.  First couple of miles were a struggle; not sore legs, but just really heavy legs.  After that though I got into it a bit and although there was no pace at all (I tried to do 9s for a short while and it was a struggle!), I enjoyed the run.  Not expecting anything at all from my next couple of marathons coming up in terms of a time!

I did go to club as I had to pick up the club's laptop for Club Champs stuff (the laptop was needed at the DD), but didn't run.  There were a few DDers there and Chair was hobbling around, also not running - he had bad cramp at 28 miles.  The reason I didn't run is I ended up going out for a meal yesterday evening, but it was good to be at the club to hear about everyone's race.

Shades, I have Yeovil on 10th and Dorney Lake on 14th June.  Bad planning really after DD, but I hope to get around and enjoy them :)  I do have one or two LDWA events in mind the following weekend but I'm not sure yet, as it'll depend on how I feel after Dorney so I won't put those on the list just yet.

Also Shades, do you want those magazines back that you leant me, or is it okay if I recycle them?  For info, I haven't yet started on the two books you leant me so will be a bit longer with those.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian - Sounds like training is going well and you have put the injury behind you!

Easy 4 miles for me at 9:30's. Rest day tomorrow then another 4 miler on Thursday. Then Endure 24 the weekend.....will probably do 4 laps (20 miles), which will be a lot less than the 40 miles I did over the weekend last year!!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well done on your run, I'm not surprised your legs feel heavy, but I'm sure you're recovering better than the rest.   I noticed Chair had a pained look on his face in the latter photos of DD so that explains it.

Thanks for the update, is it the Langport events that you are still considering?

No, I don't want the magazines back.  No rush for the books either.

Steve - I shall add that to the list, I had in my mind that event was in July!
  • Ian- great to see your feeling positive and looking forward now hopefully your injury is finally behind you.

Big G- ood running especially after such an event not surprised you had heavy legs. If I do manage to take part next year I don't think I'd be able to walk never mind have heavy legs.

Easy 6 miles today finally was able to keep the whole run to an easy pace and resisted going quicker.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, it's Langport. They're doing a 2-day walking festival, but they accept runners, who have to start a bit later.  I've ordered a collapsible cup as I only had my camelbak at the other LDWA event I did, and a cuppa tea at the check pints would be very welcome I think.  It should arrive in the next couple of days.  I'll decide what to do about the events after Dorney though. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nice weather here again today,easy 6 miles after work.
    The injury is still there but just a bit tight in the mornings and a little tender to the touch but no hobbling anymore so just need to keep the exercises going and foam rolling the calves after each run and hopefully it will continue to ease.