Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• welcome back Chouette aka Siv

It has been a long time since you flew our particular nest :).  Pleased that you managed to find your way back after the forum reorganisation led to us having to form a new thread.

How are you?  I caught up with Ceal in London a little while back, photo evidence a couple of pages back, and you, of course, cropped up in a review of old forumites between us.

Mick
    good to see you are pursuing the higher abstract values of artistic endeavour and I hope your niggle clears up quickly.

My knee has settled down a bit and I walked much of a very pleasant Hash last night through bluebell strewn woods with dappled sunlight streaming in through the fresh green leaves and long distant views over the Dales - very bucolic.
    Managed to work up a bit of a thirst which was just as well as the beer afterwards was excellent  :p
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Hi, Siv - I like your avatar, and your previous name (the nickname of my football team )  :)
    what's your running background?  

TS - good news re knee - the hash does sound idyllic - and beer sounds tempting - as it's a lovely sunny evening, I might just nip out to the shop  . . .   ;     no, I didn't run in Cornwall, but this meant my legs were nice and fresh yesterday, and  I bagged 13.5, followed by stretching. Today did some (light) strength work, then a very slow 6, with legs now (much) less fresh !  
    Took the plunge and entered a 10K today, as well :o   

Mick, I hope your niggle is short-lived . . .

Dave
  • NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    Hi guys - nice to see you Siv - remember you from long ago.

I haven't posted as I haven't had anything to say really. I haven't really tried out my knee again - I've been mainly dog-walking, getting covered in mud! Yes, start of our winter season. I've been watching some x-country as g nephew is taking part. 

Did try to do a Parkrun last Saturday but it was cancelled - a tree over the path, so at least I tried. Maybe I'll try a run this Saturday. All I can think is it is all to do with aging and muscle decline! Bit depressing eh! But like Torque Steer I am happy as long as I can get out - even if it is for a walk.

Keep up the running those that still can! 

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Hi Siv,good to hear from you again.

NZC,walking and getting out is good even if it is a bit muddy.Your knee would have took quiet a pounding in your recent marathon hopefully it will ease a bit for you.

Dave,straight back into decent mileage,is the 10k soon.

Mick,hope the niggle goes soon.

TS,i always want to have a beer after your hash post.Tonight i have a 10k summer series race and tomorrow i am doing LFOTM if the body holds up.Been up and down steps the last two days doing some sparky work,so i have my disclaimer ready.
  • NZC
    i think it will take you quite a while to get over your marathon - both physically and mentally.  It was very tough on you given the lack of preparation.
    At least you thought of doing a parkrun - more than I do at  the moment!!
    We are just getting into full summer  - nice dry, warm sunny days - long may it continue B)

Dave
    well you jumped right back in the mileage again.
    What race have you entered?

Ray
    how did the 10K go?  was it a warm night for it.
    Mention of LFOTM - I have aranged to see Ceal on Friday 27th July at Hyde Park.  All welcome if you can make it - I suspect we will not be running :(

Dave/Ray 
    nice to see I can still inspire you to something - even if it is only drinking beer!! 
    The one in question on Tuesday evening was a Bad Co. beer called Pale Aura - lovely citrusy notes of grapefruit/orange and a touch of sweetness as well - very refreshing indeed on a summers evening.
    It may have done my knee some good so I shall have to go back for some more...............

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    TS
         Tonight was slightly warm but ideal conditions really and a flatish course so no complaints or excuses.As always I set off to fast 7:09/7:19/7:26 the first three miles I knew I wouldn't hold that pace.The next three were 7:36/7:52/7:49and the 0.25 was 7:05 pace for a total time of 46:58.Tomorrow is the 5k at Hyde park it's been a long time since I run it.The July date is good for me and all being well I will run it.
  • Ray
    well done - nothing wrong with those times and you must have clocked a sub 22 min for the first 5K as well so you were motoring along.
    you may not be quiet as sharp today - but you will have a good one if you go off at the same pace!!

I have no intention of running in a 5K where even a 30 min time would be beyond me but we will give you a shout if you run it :)
  • shouldn't have posted about the early summer weather - it's raining hard now - but it does make everything look even greener
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Ray, well run - I'll certainly be happy if I match your time in my 10K, which is on July 1st.

TS - rain here too this morning - but pleased I was disciplined enough to get out at 7:40 for 5.5 miles, with a few "strideouts" in the last couple of miles. 

Dave
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Managed to run the 5k at Hyde Park today on a very nice warm day.Legs felt a tad heavy but run a time of 22:39 on my watch.No official times yet but it would only a couple of seconds either way.Marshalling our tortuous 5k handicap tomorrow so a nice rest till Sunday.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good 5K time on heavy legs, Ray :) 

15 with my daughter this morning (wouldn't have done 13.5 on Tue, had I known in advance about this)  :)  ,  but legs not too bad, so happy to be on 40 for the week
     off 4 runs, with tomorrow remaining.   

Dave
    Ray - nice 10km and 22.39 for 5km is pretty good - well done.

Birch - plenty of miles over 4 runs.

Torque Steer - I did Cornwall Park 5km on Saturday morning - hoping to break 30 mins, and hoping to run all the way!

I got the tune of "Uptown Girl" in my head and when I wasn't singing that to myself, I was telling myself to "run".

Not easy when walking, chatting and drinking coffee is all I seem to do on my outings these days.

It was cool at the start and then the sun came out, pretty muddy under foot in some places - managed 28.58 age-grade 73.25%

Dog walked yesterday - knee still has niggle but seems no worse for the run.
  • Andy B6Andy B6 ✭✭✭
    Is there any point in training when you are over 60?  I mean it’s not like you are going to get any faster.  Also you only have so many heart beats in a life time.  When I get to 60 I think I would start conserving mine.  Get yourselves a nice cup of tea and watch songs of praise instead.
  • Andy B6
    do your parents know you are on the internet?

Ray
    a very good back  up to the 10K as Hyde park is a twisty, undulating course - well done

dave
    it must be good to have someone to drag you out for a 15 miler :)!!

NZC
    you made it!!  28;58 might be my target for a comeback - but on a flat, even course

We have two youngest g'kids staying - I tried tiring them out with multiple sprint intervals in the garden - it worked but on the wrong person!!
  • Andy B6Andy B6 ✭✭✭
    Torque, I don’t think either of my parents know what the internet is.  They are both over 60 you see.  They just drink tea and watch Songs of Praise.
  • Andy B6
    ok I will play one more round - 

average mortality age is now 85.

so from 60 onwards that is 1 year = 365 x 24 hours/day x 60 min = 525,600 min/annum

525,600 x 25 = 13,140,000 min of HR activity

If the average HR is 72bpm = 13,140,000 x 72 = 946,080,000 beat before one pegs it

however if one is a trained athlete like the folk on here then av HR is 42 bpm =13,140,000 x 42 = 551,880,000 beats in the same period

Allowing for 60 min training/day = 110 beats increase x 60 x 365 x 25 = 60, 225,000

So a trained over 60 athlete will have  551,880,000 + 60,225,000 = 612,105,000 beats - a decrease of 334 million over  a sedentary person over the same period as well as having better bone density, lower blood pressure, less weight and lower stress.

Live long and prosper :)

• Andy B6Andy B6 ✭✭✭
    Haha, are you sure you are over 60?  You seem to be quite lucid and still have an ability to do arthimetic and use it to support reasoned logical statements.  Most people over 60 just sit around dribbling.  Hahaha.
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    Choutte/Siv, very nice to hear from you again. I hope all is well with you.

Mick, someone else with a foot issue. I'm sure your arch problem will resolve itself though with a bit of rest and a regime of stretching exercises if necessary. I'd like to see more of your art work. I remember being most impressed with what you've posted before, however modestly you've played down your efforts.

TS, good that your knee is a bit better. Your Hash did sound very enjoyable. Bluebell woods are a very British thing I think and great to enjoy walking or running through.

Dave, Cornwall's a lovely place for a holiday. I bet you enjoyed it down there. Well done for entering the 10K and I hope it goes well for you.

Christine, That 73% in your parkrun is very good considering how little you've been running. Impressive as always from you. We've been watching a NZ/Oz series called 800 Words about an Australian man who moves to NZ with his children after his wife dies. A superior soap really but enjoyable and great scenery to admire. Don't know if you've come across it?

Ray, remember you were a bit disappointed last year with some of your summer 10K times but you must be satisfied with the 46:58. Backed up nicely by the 22:39 in Hyde Park. Good running. 
  • Graham LGraham L ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I'm still running my 1.6 mile route most days so keeping up basic fitness. I've been getting out on my bike quite a lot too in the nice weather we've been having in the last few weeks. My step-daughter's just bought a new bike so she's keen to get out too and I've enjoyed a couple of rides with her.

Something I hadn't done for at least 15 years was to go on a walk in the Lakes, going up onto the real high fells. To be honest I was starting to wonder if I still had it in me, at least to do it without getting completely exhausted. So I was very pleased to get to the top of High Street from Haweswater with a running friend a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoyed it.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nice training with the nippers, TS - have you recovered yet?

Graham - good to hear from you, and that you are running your loop & cycling regularly. Impressive hiking, too . . . 

TS - yes, it is good to have my daughter's company on the longer runs occasionally.  This teatime I met her at the track (she drove there, and completed  12 x 400m with a mile jog & strides/drills either side)  ....    I ran there and back and bagged 5 x 800m within an 11 mile run all told.  first track session for some time - didn't time the 800's, ran them to perceived effort, and enjoyed the feeling of running fast again (even though, unlike my daughter, I wasn't)  :)   so, first nod towards the 10K achieved  . . .   this followed 6 easy yesterday - rest tomorrow, but strength work planned  . . .   

Dave
    edited May 2018
    Birch - great running going on!

Graham - haven't seen 800 words - it's usually NZers going to Aussie - must have a look out for it.

I was thinking about Katherine Mansfield's short story "Miss Brill" when that boy was telling us to give it away! Anyone read that story?  Very sad.

It's a beautiful sunny day here although cold - have been dog walking again.
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Graham,nice to hear from you and good to keep your basic fitness going with the daily runs.Sounds like quiet a hike you and your friend done but i suppose the views were worth it.

Dave,excellent batch of training from you and your daughter.Will you make the track a regular thing or just occassionally?

Track was 15x 300m broke into 3sets of 5 with 100m recoveries and 500m recovery between sets.Pace for reps was 6:23-6:33-6:27-6:28-6:16-6:24-6:19-6:16-6:15-6:20-6-22-6:09-6:10-6:26-6:15
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    blimey, Ray - 15 x 300m is a toughie !   good paces, though - excellent work B) 
    I think the track will be an occasional visit (its £4.65 a session), and I have parks available, with miles and half miles on the paths. Must say, though , I prefer the track.   
    rest day on Wed, after the session, then 6 yesterday aft'n & 6 this morn.   

Dave
  • Ray
    sadistic - who devised that session :) ?!
    you actually got quicker towards the end - was it just to end the torture?

Dave
    perceived effort = not enough :)
    Nice to get on a track again - it does feel very different doesn't it? Blimey £4.65 a session is a lot of money - I would be running a marathon to get my worth out of the trip.  In the old days at Gateshead Stadium a lunchtime session was free - and that included changing rooms and a shower!!!

Graham
    well done a return to the high country.  You must have had some good weather for it as well which is always a bonus in the Lakes.
    Not seen the series you have been watching but I did watch a film called The Hunter on BBC  iplayer - set in Tasmania. Spectacular background scenery and a strangely gripping story.

NZC
    onset of winter - brrr!  We have just had the hottest sunniest May on record - and now flaming June has started with rain.
    Well I forced myself to go to the Hash on Tuesday, after a long day in London,  from a newish craft ale pub so I had to try it out didn't I?
    I jogged the 1.25 miles there and then 4.6 miles which was probably/definitely  too much  for my knee but I salved the pain with some excellent Californian Sun IPA until the pain disappeared :). It took a long time........
    Contented myself with easy short runs for the rest of the week - and I do mean short!!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    TS - I like the sound of your Hash runs with beer to conclude proceedings . . .   

5 miles fartlek today - pretty humid, so "perceived effort" still felt like "effort" - especially the last two 400m hills  . . .      

Dave
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    TS,the beer sounds good after quite a long run with your knee pain.

Dave,luckily the track is in with our membership so not to bad.Fartlek over 5miles is a pretty good effort especially with hills thrown in.

Managed 11miles today around midday and as Dave said it was pretty humid.Not sure if I will do anything tomorrow.
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Just 5miles on grass this morning nice and flat.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nice weekend's training, Ray.

8am start with my daughter for 10 miles - humidity again, added to tired legs for both of us (my fartlek and N blasted a parkrun) meant a weary plod, which neither of us particularly enjoyed. Still, job done, and 44 for the week.

hope everyone else is doing a bit.

Dave
  • Ray - that was a tough workout 15 x 300m with only 100m recovery - big effort.

Birch - 44 miles for the week - you're doing it.

Torque Steer - good to have the Hash to get out there and enjoy all on offering.

I did Cornwall Park run again - 28.35 - agegrade 74.23%.

Need to be able to do some running during the week to improve on that. My knee is still sore so dog-walking continues. Must get my bike set up to do some stationery cycling to see if that if will help it.
  • Ray - that was a tough workout 15 x 300m with only 100m recovery - big effort.

Birch - 44 miles for the week - you're doing it.

Torque Steer - good to have the Hash to get out there and enjoy all on offering.

I did Cornwall Park run again - 28.35 - agegrade 74.23%.

Need to be able to do some running during the week to improve on that. My knee is still sore so dog-walking continues. Must get my bike set up to do some stationery cycling to see if that if will help it.