Options

Comrades 2018

Comments

• Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I recall my experience of getting the bus 2 years ago was fine, although did hear others having issues. I think what made a difference was getting to the bus stop early and being on one of the first buses to go.... maybe meant a slightly earlier start, but lots of spare time and took any stress out of it 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I was really late 2 years ago, just made it to the pens before the gun went, think I may have got on a bus at 3:15am? What time did you board McH? Our bus was ridiculously slow, the driver didn't have the toll money, we abandoned the coach about a mile from the start, some sprinted away but I kept calm and jogged up slowly, I had tears (of joy) creeping out of my eyes as Shosoloza drifted towards me as I approached the pens.
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Sorry Lowrez, I don’t recall what the time was. I think I read we can drop our tog bag for the finish either at the expo the day before, or at PMB on race morn. doing it the day before is one less thing to have to do if time ends up being tight
  • Options
    Carmen23Carmen23 ✭✭✭
    Think I've always gone for around 2:30...not sure they run much earlier...and drop your bag off in Durban the day before, much less stressful!
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Anyone got experience of getting a local SIM card with a data allowance? I know I previously got a prepay one that I ordered from home and picked up in jburg airport , which was convenient but I think quite an expensive way to do it. I seem to recall free SIM cards being given out at the airport, are these easy to activate and then put some credit on?
  • Options
    Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    It’s only just occurred to me that as the international finish area is a portion of the stadium stand..... effectively it’s a set of steep steps... just what I will need after a long run!
  • Options
    Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Make sure you get an MTN SIM card :).  We have Yellow branding.  Getting a SIM is simple enough - you need to 'RICA' it to confirm your identity.  This would involve your passport and home address details, e.g. driving license.  Buy airtime and then use that to buy a data bundle or buy a data bundle directly - use the app or dial *136#.  Voice back home to UK is R1.5 per minute on MTN.  Of course your phone must be unlocked.
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Hope this helps to get you in the mood! Taken this morning as I stayed overnight in PMB.  Drove the route to Durban afterwards.....doesn't seem to get any shorter! it's a long long way, up and down (recurring)!......If anything it convinces you to run the first half sensibly. Safe travels to all.
  • Options
    jkissanejkissane ✭✭✭
    A good early start then on Sat night I see. Thanks for the tip about dropping the bag at the expo, I've just packed mine so it's ready to go. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Last down run I didn't put in a drop bag, hotel was a lot closer though, of course I was expecting to get in pretty late, although not as late as it actually turned out, so I wasn't planning on entering the international bit anyway, they were all packed up and gone by the time I'd turned around watched the last man in and got my medal. 
  • Options
    At Gatwick and heading for the gate - safe travels, everyone and see you soon!
  • Options
    I couldn't cope with the journey in the morning...I would have to get the earliest 2:30 bus especially as they have warned of delays...we are going g on the bus tour in Saturday morning and not returning but sleeping the night in pietersmarizburg
  • Options
    Had a great few days in capetown....still not enough time here again...so much better than Durban. But heading to Durban for a test tomorrow

• Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ooo seren Saturday bus tour - we will meet again! Was that a typo? Did you mean rest? Or have you finally decided to take your mathematics GCSE?
  • Options
    Definitely a typo.. :)..lowrez..use your influence to get using the same bus...shame they don't stop at a parkrun on route :)
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hi Seren; there can be only one...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqcLjcSloXs
    ...bus at 7:30am where we shall indeed meet!
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Good luck all. 

Hope you all have good alarm clocks ;-) 
  • Options
    All very exciting. Here in Durban. Done the expo and am having lunch at mugg and bean. Forgot all about the drop bag so have nothing specific to put in but I do have a hoodie but am close to the finish. Also found my champion chip which works ?
  • Options
    Arrived in Durban. Bit worried about getting up to Pietermaritzburg - my husband forgot to bring his driving licence so at the moment the plan of him driving three of us up to Pietermaritzburg is scuppered - trying to find a solution. May need to sort a bus ticket or taxi. Hoping other people have more info on the likely delays...
  • Options
    Good luck folks - looking forward to hearing all your stories and especially what the new finish area’s like. Time to focus on the eating and resting now :)
  • Options
    Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    My previous post attempted to upload a pic of the start but I think that failed.  You'll all see it soon enough though, in the dark!

For Mamma Luciana's (48 Florida Road) tomorrow evening at 18:30 please note there is a front and a bigger rear restaurant. We are in the rear. It's in the name of "Mike" rather than Mac3!

We have 3 additional Dutch nationals (2 runners) to our party.  We met them at a remote farm house in the Dragensburg area on the way down and staying at the Hilton. Any late additions are welcome,  just let me know so I can inform the restaurant. 
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Sequence error!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    In Manchester about to board for Paris, although, Suzie's 30th birthday party heading for Dublin is a very tempting alternative!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I'm getting a bus ticket at the expo and getting up early for first available departure (for the Guinness Tour)
  • Options
    marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    I normally drop my tog bag off at  the expo on Saturday sometime to save hassle Sunday morning. And been to expo today and bought bus ticket. Apparently the earliest bus leaves at 2am!!!!
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Bonkers early, I'll probably get out for 2:45
  • Options
    Morning all..what a beautiful morning eating breakfast on our balcony...having a wonderful holiiday...shame about having to run a bit on Sunday
  • Options
    Hubby's driving licence has been scanned and emailed to me so we will visit Avis today - plan A for driving to Pietermaritzburg is back on. But thing we're going to have to tell the Belaire Sutes they need to change breakfast to 2 am not 2.30 (which is what they've offering - they are good) as I don't think anyone told them about the road thing and I suspect we're going to want to be leaving by 2.30 or not long after.
  • Options
    1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I'm at Lucky Bread having a massive breakfast in Joburg. Attempted to get back on the earlier flight to Durbs I thought I had been bumped from, but it's actually been cancelled. Plenty of flights with other airlines. I guess SA are not competing very well. Maybe next time I'll book separate legs instead of the whole hog in one. Mind you; this breccy is worth pausing for :)