Snowdonia Marathon 2018

Comments

• Anyone who is not able to take up their place and would like to  transfer the entry , please feel free to message me. Much appreciated, GL all.
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Anyone else racing recently?

I did 4:29 in cold conditions at the Newport marathon a week ago and 13:18 last Saturday in the Malvern Hills 45-miler in the blistering heat.  The contrast couldn't be greater!

Although that time for even a hilly ultra like this one wasn't very good I managed to come away with the Vet trophy?!  Glorious day out in the woods and hills.  With the marathon of 6 days previously still in my legs and the heat I did more walking than I would normally do, but kept up a more or less constant pace, overtaking about 8 runners in the second half and not being overtaken. 

One poor lady was hit by a car as she came off the Malverns and had to be taken off the course in an air ambulance.  She had a head injury and I hope she is OK.  Another chap was even worse than me at making unintended detours because he told me he got lost and ending up doing an extra 15 miles!!  The biggest detour I have ever done is about 4 miles in a High Peak 40 event, and that was bad enough.
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Omg, T Rex, I do hope that lady is ok! Well done on your trophy!?
    No racing here, and none lined up in the near future. I am, however a couple of weeks into my pre-Snod training plan bass building ? and in the 60m per week range at the moment. Weight is coming down, pace and miles are going up gradually ?
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    It seems my trophy emoticon has been changed into a ?
    And bass building should be base, of course! 
  • Hey all,

Been keeping myself busy with shorter stuff since London. I wish we'd have had the Newport conditions at London T Rex rather than that heat! It was warm! I actually did a race that takes in part of the Newport course this week. The Rose Inn 4 mile series? Don't know if you're familiar with the race or the area T Rex.. It was a nice flat two loops and my first time racing the distance. Got a few short races coming up (max 10k)... Then i'm off on a holiday to enjoy myself for a bit before starting to bump up the training for SNOD. 

Well done on the trophy for the MHU. I'm only down the road from the Malverns and didn't hear about anyone being hit by a car. Hopefully she's ok though. I know it was a warm one that day too. 

Nice work on 60mpw Jason... That's a decent amount to be doing!
  • Hi all,

I have a place for the Snowdon Race on the 21st of July 2018. Unfortunately I can't do it this time.

Please let me know if you're interested. My email address is gringo0022@hotmail.com

You can learn more about the race here; https://www.snowdonrace.co.uk/

Whilst I'm on here, if anyone has a place for this years Snowdonia Marathon and can't do it, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Thank you
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Extremely quiet thread this year.  Hope everyone's OK.  I'm not doing much running at the moment.  Getting ready for the Velothon Wales in a month's time, followed 6 days later by a gruelling ultra that usually takes me about 22 hours in the Brecon Beacons.

That quad is in the back of my mind, coming to the fore occasionally and disturbingly.  I've actually told Mrs T Rex about it now so that's something.
  • Gradually getting my mileage back up to more reasonable levels with the first race pencilled in for July.

Fingers crossed for your calf injury TR. Looking for forward to your Brecon Beacons report. How far is that one again?

• I'm on the injury list too i'm afraid. Bad plantar fascitis and haven't run for three weeks. Trying to get it right before the SNOD training starts. Very Frustrating!
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Good luck with recovery TR22, and good LG to hear your increasing the mileage. As always I’m looking forward to reading a TREX race report.
    ive also been recovering (from Achilles injuries, running doesn’t seem to be an issue anymore, but finding shoes/running shoes that are ok is a challenge) after very slow start to the year, recent mileage has been ok, did Windermere recently (2nd fave road marathon after Snod) and then bumped into another SNODer (brer??) the following week at Boddington. Boddington was a 11 laps on flat country lanes, not really my thing but good miles ready for Comrades this weekend. After this weekend, will relax for a while then use lots of nice off road running to train for (Chicago and) SNOD in October 
  • Good luck with the injury TR22, that's a nasty one. All the best for the Comrades McH let us know how you get on.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    10Peaks Brecon Beacons is only 55 miles but I can't seem to get a good time for it.  Probably something to do with having to climb the 10 highest peaks in the area?  It's also self nav and my routes don't always seem to be the quickest!   Live tracking this year so I'd better get my nav sorted out or I will never hear the last of it from you lot.

Hi McHilly - I've done the Boddington 50K a couple of times which is 14 and a bit laps ...
    You need shoes with low heel tabs so they don't dig into the achilles, especially downhill.

• Only 55 eh!?!! We love reading about your nav skills TR. Speaking of which how did you find the Malvern Hills ultra for ease of navigation. I know you mentioned another runner got lost but is it difficult? I was thinking of giving it a go next year.  

• Hi all, not posted on here before but not sure where else to go..I've got an entry for the snowdonia trail half marathon on 15/7/18. Would any body like to buy off me? Happy to offer at a reduced cost.
    I've broken my foot and can't do it any more, slightly gutted. Would transfer to another race but can't see me being back to full running fitness within 6 months sadly. Cheers, Emily
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    The LG - Malvern Hills is a brilliant event.  I've entered the 46 already for next year.  There are a number of shorter distances in which a bus takes you to different CPs along the course.  You are following the Worcestershire Way with its own waymarks, but they are not always convincing and on the hills themselves non-existent.  I would say a map with the route marked up is very important.

Hi Emily.  Here is a good place as any.  A number of us have done those events.  Now if it was an ultra place I might be very interested myself!  Hope you get a taker, and that your foot heals well.
  • Cheers TR, I think it could be a option for next year. I can always follow your trail of breadcrumbs!

Swift recovery Emily. Have you tried their facebook page? Sure you find someone as it's a popular event.

• thank for share
    https://khangphudataudio.com/am-thanh-toa
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    hi guys, hope training is going well.  If anyone knows of people wanting a number for this year, I have two going. we cant do it now due to family stuff and OH not running enough!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • LesHKLesHK ✭✭
    Hi Wabo, I'm looking for 2 places if you still have them.
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Wabo- sorry you can't make it, but you will have no problem shifting the places. I have just asked on FB for you.

Balaklola: do one!

Nothing much to report here. Crawled, snail-like, the 10 miles between Crossgates and Builth Wells a couple of weeks ago as my leg of the Welsh Castles Relay. . . and haven't done much since!

But that all changes tomorrow – which is why I am here: a quick heads up to anyone else following an 18 week training plan for Snod – we start tomorrow!
    AGTFS18  <3;)  
  • I started today. Am I disqualified?
    Finished my 19th Grandma’s Marathon in Duluth, MN a week ago. Beat my PW by 14 seconds but doubled my year’s mileage. I do plan on training this year... 
    Anyway, everyone’s reports gives me inspiration and hope. Run on y’all!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Hi Pete/jasond2 - I'll join the practically zero training club as well.  I've got a difficult 55-miler in three weeks so I'd better get out there and do something.  I don't know what.  Been concentrating on the bike for a few weeks. 

T Rex Jnr has got a mad plan.  Next Saturday he is going to bike from Cardiff to the foot of Snowdon, and then climb Snowdon carrying his bike and get back to Pen-y-pass before they stop serving dinner at 2100.  I think he's going to use the Miners' Track.
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    T Rex- T Rex Jnr sounds like he has got a crazy plan. Don't know where he gets it from :)
    9m with 4m tempo today, according to my training plan. That will be fun in the 30 degree heat we currently have...
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    PT - well done on the marathon. Good to hear that you are going to train this year - will this be during the summer, or from mid September? :)
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    This platform gets worse every time I see it! Just noticed the huge number of new threads offering fake banknotes for sale. 
    See you over on the Snowdonia facebook page! Lol! :D 
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Looks like T Rex jnr is going to do his challenge!

He left Cardiff at 0330 and he has sent a Snowdon summit photo, complete with bike, at 1852.

That's my boy.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Well done T-Rex Jnr! 
  • jasond2jasond2 ✭✭✭
    Well done, TRJ!
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Got back down to Pen-y-Pass, where he was staying, a few minutes before last food orders at 2100 ...
  • T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    ... to find they'd closed early.  No food in the house.  Not even any peanuts at the bar.  Had to settle for several packets of crisps and a couple of pints.