Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    The roads at Swash were not the best and it rolls more than you expect it too, swim is tidal as stated.

Swimathon - er NO, for I am a duathlete

4 races entered

Bedford Sprint
    Oulton Sprint
    National Age Group Duathon champs
    Stockton Standard distance Duathlon

I shall then get fat : ¬ )

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    ps. I like the colour of the bike but why spoil it with mudguards ?
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Still not sure about swimathon, haven't been swimming since last tri in September and I have a bit of a rotator cuff injury. I did have a look and I think my max would be 1.5k atm... There might be an organised event in the sports center I used to play volleyball.

Gobi - This will be my commuting bike as well and I'm never going to be quick enough to bother taking the mudguards off for sportives. Only triathlons :).

Steady, let me know if you find any good sportives. We will be doing Isle of Wight Randonnee this year again.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    When I move I will be commuting sometimes on my Tarmac, it will be spared mudguards and I shall wear a ruck sack :¬)
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    So is anyone racing at either Oulton Park or Bedford Aerodrome next month ?
  • Just popping in to see if anything is going on. I have gone down with a cold which quickly went to chesty cough, so taking things really easy and doing nothing in the way of exercise.

Might start wibbling about Larmer 10 as that is next month, but need to be able to breathe without coughing first.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. I survived the Larmer 10. Very enjoyable in a weird way that only runners understand. Hilly and very muddy, walked all but 200m. 3 and a half hours in the company of the tail sweeper and some others. Very friendly organisers and team.

Last night unable to walk upstairs properly, just eased myself up one step at a time. This morning is not much better, have iced and stretched and massaged, both legs sore but more so the right leg, shoes still drying out but trekking poles cleaned up.

Gentle swim planned for Tuesday.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    did the duathlon and came 40th and 2nd in AG but lost out on racing for the win as my Hamstring pulled up again.

Anyone suffer from single point cramps and spasms (ie. not a hydration issue) ?
  • SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭
    Well done Gobi, shame the hamstring let you down. I have only ever looked at the bottom of a results list. I get cramp in the sole of my feet quite often, never really worked out why.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Lots oF CANCELLED EVENTS THIS WEEKEND :¬(
  • Does anyone here work with/ monitor Function Threshold Power? We have a guest blogger who has recently posted a really interesting explanation of how important FTP is for training. As I'm sure many of you know, it's closely related to maximal aerobic capacity or VO2max and is also an important determinant of endurance exercise and performance.

In basic terms, FTP identifies the highest power output we are able to sustain for an hour without fatigue which can be used to analyse the effectiveness of a range of training methods therefore assisting predictions of future performances.

Interesting stuff!!
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I do but then I am a cyclist first and have done for years
  • I love reading all this and makes me miss it.  Need to get back in the saddle. 
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    So since I last popped in I had a Bronze in my AG at the National duathlon champs but lost out agian due to my legs and started a new stretching routine which was to get me ready for Stockton this weekend and the rescheduled Oulton.

Sadly 13 days ago I was involved in a race crash

https://gobi70.wordpress.com/2018/04/15/season-is-over/

Highlights - 2 broken ribs, bruised lungs, tented fracture of the collarbone and fractured elbow. Pictures on the blog are quite graphic at points.

Oh well, there is always 2019

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    That sucks @Gobi heal quickly.
  • oh no! heal quickly but take the return to riding slowly!
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    I have my local tri this Sunday. Just sprint distance, never done anything longer. I have a new light road bike which is much quicker than my old bike. My running isn't great but at least I've done some. Haven't been for a swim in the pool since I did this tri last year...  :D  Not taking this  very seriously am I? Just a fun couple of hours doing exercise...
  • mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭
    good luck mikasa. It is a good attitude to have - just doing events for the fun!
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks MC. The Tri was good. What I most love about this Tri is that my start time was 11:10 so no early morning. It's staged around a small village and the bike route is in the country side so not much traffic. Swim went ok, just took it steady, bike was great fun, my new bike is so fast. I even hate uphills less on this bike. Run was bit pants. Just don't seem to be able to do any kind of incline off the bike. Probably as I never train running off the bike.Never mind, it was sunny, people were cheerful and I think I finished fastest ever on this particular course. Not received results yet. But what a wonderful day. ?
  • SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Bad news Gobi, heal well soon.

Mikasa, glad you enjoyed the tri. I have not been on my bike outdoors yet this year.

I am getting over a bad back. Compressed nerves, sciatic and femoral, mornings are painful then gets better with movement and means good excuse not too sit for too long at work, so plenty of tea and toilet breaks. 10Km race on 23rd, I call it a race but it will be a walk with the poles again but the organisers are happy for me to do it that way.

well done mikasa

CJ - oh sorry to hear about your back, take care and have fun at the 10k
  • SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭
    I have deferred my place on the 10k until next year. Been to the GP and I am now awaiting an MRI, but that may be some weeks away. The painkillers and ice packs are working, so hopefully I will be returning to normal soon, each time I think I am getting better I then have a bad morning and pains return.
    oh CJ that is bad news. Hope you don't have to wait too long for the mri
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Feel for you Steady. Hope you get your MRI soon and they can help you overcome your pain. My shoulder (rotator cuff area) has been bad for ages, especially after lot of mountain biking. Finally got an ultrasound appointment for week after next. Hopefully they can see if it the tendon or bursa sack.
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Well my ultrasound didn't show any tears which is good so waiting for my doctor/physio to get in contact next week regarding the results and what to do next. 

Managed to do a 5 mile race on Wednesday evening and surprise myself with 56:57 finish. Also did my first parkrun in 4 years (!!!) this morning. Not got the time yet but by my watch 34:59 so very happy with that as well. 

Hope everyone's training is going well. :)
    well done mikasa

good news there are no tears, hope the physio can sort out what the problem is
  • LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, it's been a while.  Hope everyone's ok - it's very quiet in here these days!

Well done Mikasa on your races.  I always treat races like a fun day out rather than actually racing!  Sounds like the tri was a lovely day.

Eek to your accident Gobi, that sounds awful.  Hope you're healing well now - and Steady too.

Hi Maths!  Hope you're ok.

I've been absent for ages while I've been not doing an awful lot of training (or any at all if truth be told!).  Started the couch to 5k AGAIN and did a lovely leisurely 30 mile bike ride last week, so getting back to it slowly.
  • SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭
    I am very slowly getting better, had 2 MRI scans so far, ruled out slipped disc but they think it is the SI joint that has problems with a pinched nerve. Finally seeing the physio who has allowed me back to swimming along with exercises to do.
  • CJ - that is good that you are allowed to swim. Hope the physio exercises work

Lollipop - great to hear from you

I haven't been doing a much - too hot for me so just ticking over really
  • Hey peeps! Nothing to do with tri but running, wonder if you could help me decide what to do with my last 2 long runs before my HM.

I started bit late so did 4.5/6/7/8 LSR's with 4.5mile other weekly run and Saturday parkrun. Last week had a cut back week.

Today I did 10 miles, legs felt really good after last week's break and they have gotten much stronger in the last 5 weeks. Last mile was hard though. As I have 2 more long runs, should I go any longer or just keep at 10 miles? I do walk/run, long runs have been 2:1 but today I tried 3:1 and I think this is what I'm going for in the HM. Last HM October last year was 2hrs 53 so I'm not quick but would like to go bit faster this time.

Any ideas/advise welcome. TIA. :smile: