Monday 11th June 2018 - Well you're a real tough cookie with a long history

Morning.

Lyrics - Well you're a real tough cookie with a long history

I was going to be sensible and not run for a couple of days but it's a lovely morning here and I'm moving well (obviously didn't try hard enough yesterday) so if everything still feels ok after walking Grace I may go for a little run instead of the planned swim - it's just too nice to be inside. Am thinking about a race report - not sure I have that much to say about it at the moment to be honest.

What:              probably short and easy
Why:               it's a beautiful morning
Last hard:       round that track and back yesterday as the clock ticked away
Last rest:        4/5
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    LMH: Blown away with that time, well done LMH, it is amazing! Factor in the travelling, hanging around after registration (as DD suggested previously) then doing it with a PB. Amazing! Really pleased for you.

DD: Unless I missed it didn't see your outcome, hope it went well for you.

Got to get out early this morning for work, brief. 7.5 yesterday very hot in the afternoon (how things change).

What: 7/8 after work

Why: Monday after work usual

Lyrics: Nah!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

Yesterday's lyrics were, "Nobody does it better", Carly Simon, which I am pleased to say were appropriate! Now take it easy, LMH

What: unsure

Why: going to see my former GB team doc/RW medical guy as he really hasn't been well. May get to discuss my legs and back also. 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

LMH: Well done yesterday especially all external factors,heat,holiday,travelling ,strange bed etc fantastic a PB as well.I know not what you wanted but you will get that  soon enough:-)

Ale: Good luck with seeing your old pal today.

Benjy: Hope the weather is not too hot for run.You need to channel your early bird running:-)

What: 11.12 miles
    Why: Because I could
    Last hard: Sleeping and legs still feeling heavy
    Lyrics: Nope
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Sorry to hear that your doctor friend is unwell Alehouse. When do you get all your scan results?

Benjy - DD's race started an hour after mine, not a lot of hanging around for me, it wasn't that warm and we only had a twenty minute drive to the race from our overnight stop so as I said - no excuses for me. I hope that work doesn't stop you running today.

Nice miles Poppy.

Yeovil Marathon - met Crab and TR before the off as we hoped to have a bit of a train with an on form Crab pacing, a job he did admirably until a couple of miles from the end when he had some unfortunate GI issues (his report is on the sub 3 thread). Unfortunately TR's hamstring went at about six miles and he mostly walked the rest of the lap to get back to race HQ. I felt ok at target pace but not incredibly comfortable (I did have to remind myself that a bit of discomfort was going to have to be endured if I wanted to PB). Crab pointed out that as there was bound to be some fade in the second half I could really do with upping the pace a bit but I knew it just wasn't there so I stayed relatively comfortable until reaching half way in around 1.26.40. I knew that it would be a bit of an ask from there but I also knew that it was possible but that I needed to work for it. Crab was ace, metronomic pacing, and helped to clear the path as we passed the half marathon runners who had started an hour after us. Knowing the course now I knew there were a couple of slower miles but hoped to keep the pace down on the others enough to compensate. The last two miles were predominantly downhill and I did my best to make the most of this and kept working as hard as I could. I thought that my 2.54 was still just about possible and did rally for a good last two miles but upon hitting the track was sent to run a lap round the wrong way, was ok with this and working as hard as I could then at the top of the home straight was directed to do a 180 turn and run back round the track the other way which of course broke my rhythm (though I'm sure it didn't cost me the whole 17 seconds). Garmin measure the course at 26.35 and whilst I'd always rather a course measure a little long so that I know it was definitely full distance that .15 with the turn were, I think, enough to make the difference between 2.55 and 2.54.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    LMH: 2:55.14 chip time! Get scan results etc on Friday evening. Bloods should be back before then but will leave consultant to interpret them!
     Sounds like Crab did a good job yesterday! And I'm sure that there must be a way to avoid that turn on the track if they think about it!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Garmin splits: 6:27.9; 6:36.8; 6:45.2; 6:40.1; 6:37.6; 6:38.7; 6:32.1; 6:35.6; 6:42.2; 6:37.6; 6:40.2; 6:29.2; 6:29.1; 6:33.8; 6:33.5; 6:47.9; 6:42.4; 6:41.4; 6:39.0; 6:34.9; 6:42.9; 6:52.1; 6:44.1; 6:53.2; 6:47.0; 6:34.6 last bit 2:16.7

• DubaiDaveDubaiDave ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Morning 

i wrote a long piece on Yeovil and RW deleted it.

so LMH, good to meet you awesome result.

me i ran and finished in 1-53-22 so 3-20 quicker than the previous week
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Well done DD. That's a nice chunk off in just one week :+1:

Amazing splits, LMH. How annoying about the extra turn at the end. Did everyone have to do that or did they mess things up for you? In any case, you only went and won the race!! And you smashed the course record to pieces. That is soooo amazing. Time to be proud methinks. Hope you got a nice haul of prizes.

Ale: Fingers crossed for results. And hope your friend is ok.

What: 9 miles with strides
    Why: my sort of speedwork
    Last hard: legs were a tad surprised
    Last rest: 31/5
  • Write it again DD - please? I'd be interested to read your perspective.

It's a charity fundraiser chicksta so the prize was a bottle of cheap, low alcohol red wine and a tin plate :-)
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    morning all
    lyrics no, but I did call my daughter this the other day lol
    LMH just amazing well done you, hope it was a nice run today as well
    alehouse hope results all come back good
    chicksta enjoy your strides!
    wp, top miles well done
    alehouse, hope your mate is ok
    benjy enjoy

my daughter was  sent home yesterday - platelets up to 21 (should be 150-450).  They just wanted the  bed tbh.  But she has to go Tuesday Thursday and Friday for tests and results.  So she stayed with me and I slept in a kids bed, legs hanging off the edge!!

I didn't do the 10k at Essex Saturday I really wasn't feeling it so I signed up late Friday night for a local forest five series.  I was so slow but just happy to be honest to get out there and do it. I'm scared to enter any races and pay lately as it seems all I do is dns!

what:  2-3 sanity saving miles later
    why: all of above
    last hard: saturdays race really
    last rest: 31/12/16

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Good news, Wabo or they wouldn't have sent your daughter home. Slightest problem get back there!
    And glad you raced, albeit the wrong one!

Key thing about those splits is that you didn't really slow, LMH. Presumably variations were because of the undulations of the course. 

Good improvement, DD: onwards and upwards. How did you find the course?

Saw my medical friend who say that I have slightly strained ligaments in my knee, as I thought. Good news is that I can run gently, although should avoid sharp turns and sharp downhills. And I should also stretch more, to my surprise. Gently, obviously. 
  • I'm glad she's home Wabo.

Sounds positive Alehouse. I don't think I can blame it all on the course, there was definitely some slowing going on.
  • DubaiDaveDubaiDave ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Wabo: fingers remain crossed for your daughter. 

Yeovil Marathon course

Not the fastest course by any stretch, lots of sharp turns, an inability to run the shortest line as so many cars on the route and to top it off some pretty crappy road surfaces thrown in. The elevation chart doesn’t really tell the truth, whilst there are no steep long climbs there are a lot of up flats which drag on for a considerable distance. Plus sides were no crowds, no charity runners, water in bottles rather than cups and a nice medal. 

It was good to see LMH who i was convinced must have got a 2-54 as i was under 1-54 and finished behind her having been passed about 1k from the end, according to my watch we started the half at 1001 so the unexpected diversion probably cost you more than you thought. Did the six or so runners in front of you also get wrongly directed?

For me the plan was go out at 5-20 min/k and see how long i could hold it, 14k was the answer which was exactly when my blisters from the previous week started to make themselves felt, i had in fact considered DNS as they had been bothering me all week. Only became really painful in the last 2k and i had to hop to my car! My pace stayed at aroung 5-30 from 14 -21k and i ended up averaging 5-22 so pretty well what i thought was feasible. Its tough being that slow, i have run Comrades at that pace! I need to do some LSR to build endurance, have to remind myself its only been two months back after 2.5 years out.

The guy i presume was the winner of the marathon lapped me pushing two kids in a stroller!
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Well done again LMH on a super performance and an excellent time.  I’d be gutted with that ending though!  Great pacing throughout.  Funny prizes!

DD, cracking run in the half and a great improvement inside a week.

wabo, that’s good, hope you get some time out yourself too.  

Alehouse - keep on stretching and running, just take it easy! 

Just about to head out, won’t do much, 5 miles easy or so.  Need to stretch the Achilles first.  

Lyrics, nope. 
  • The buggy runner was second DD - Adam Holland won it by a long way. It wasn't a diversion it was the correct course, the minute difference is because we started at 0900hrs and you at 1001hrs. Interesting to read your evaluation of the course - thank you. I was catching half marathon runners after 16.5 miles! You have come a very long way in the past few months and I have no doubt will continue to improve at a rate of knots for some time yet. Hope your feet aren't too bad.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening

What: 2x1km at 4:51/km followed by 3x400m at 3:51/km followed by some strange relay type thing which I didn't really understand!
    Why: I don't know. It was meant to be an easy session as 2 races this week!
    Last hard: that

Well done dd great improvement

Have a lovely evening all
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Evening!

What races this week, Emz? Seem to be a lot of midweek races about to happen around here! And how is the new job going?

DD: well done, and your comments about the course put LMH's race in an even better light! Hope the progress continues. 

What: 3k off road, although the surface is currently harder than tarmac! With walk breaks. 

Why: seems to be no reason why not, fitness apart, plus being sensible. Amusing incident when a group of youngsters started squirting me with bottles whilst running along the river bank: thought they were squirting water but actually was bright orange Fanta. Obviously a relatively affluent area! Was annoyed at the time.