Comrades 2019

Its an up run on Sunday June 9th 2019, quite possibly the same as the 2017 route above, anybody fancy running it? I'm in :)
Tagged:

Comments

• I did a very similar race once but the other way round. I think I might be tempted to give it a go :D
  • 359 spare days still to go. I can only assume Lowrez's account has been hacked by an impostor

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Its just a marketing ploy for cheap Hilton rooms - but please refer to the end of the 2018 thread for those :)

Good to see I am not the only 2018 punch drunk runner eager for another go :)

• I can't wait.... all going well I'm going to have a proper go at this next year
  • Matt..Matt.. ✭✭✭
    Excellent, love that the 2019 chat is already up an running.
    I have always performed better on the up so am already on a Christmas style countdown for June 9 next year.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    I'm in.  How could I resist? Have booked Belaire and hoping it will be lucky number 7.
  • Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I'm not in :) But I will enjoy following you all. Maybe 2oceans
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Welcome Snail  o:) 2O is good training for Comrades :D
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Two Oceans is great and a lot easier than Comrades. Enjoy Snail. Crazy camber near the end that makes Fields Hill look level. 
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I’m about to book Belaire ( currently £57 per night fully refundable on agora.com) see you next year
  • Peter RPeter R ✭✭✭
    Count me in, have a green number to collect at the end if I get there. 

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Howdy RR - Will you be back in 2019? we missed you!

Belaire on Agoda.com wasn't quite as good as i thought, as there was 15% tax to pay +1% something else on topof the £57, but still seemed a good deal, so i'm booked!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

That's definitely good going McH even with 1% thingamytax on top :)

Lovely to see the gathering evolve, welcome everyone :)

Peter, did you hear the yellow number joke? It gets pointed at by a fellow runner who quips "There's something wrong with your number; its turning green!"

• Running RodentRunning Rodent ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    McHilly - yes, that’s the plan. Couldn’t justify doing Namibia, TO and Comrades all within 6 months this year, but I did miss it. So I’ll be back :) .
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I missed you RR, Terry did a sterling job helping me through this difficult year, but there's nothing like the real thing
  • Don't know yet if I'm coming yet, but snapped up that Belaire deal just in case!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good advanced planning Max :)
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. I'm planning to take part in 2019 too.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Yo SD! Do you have wider plans? Or will Comrades be your long event for 2019?

• Not running Comrades next year as I want to concentrate on NDW50 and Lakeland 50 (if I can get in). So why am I thinking about booking the Belaire "just in case"???!!!
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Debra - go for it, nothing to lose by booking, can always cancel :smile:

Did you do 1000 Hills parkrun this morn? Was definitely one of the highlights of the trip for me!
  • Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭
    Lowrez - if I'm lucky in ballots for USA 100 milers, it may be another long training run... ...but an important one as I will be going for my yellow number...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

I was reflecting how much better shape I would have been in if I'd been more conservative earlier on after you cruised past me on your 12:30 per mile glide with 5k to go SD. Having "had a go" I am concluding I like the down above the up at the moment. I wonder if my mind will drift again if I "have a go" at the up next year. Good luck on your ballot entries, great to know you'll be in and going for yellow :)

Debra, you seem to be reflecting the same as I did two years ago, I concluded there just isn't anything like this out there and I simply had to be on this road. The alternative would be being sat at home watching the big day biting the furniture wishing I had entered. 

• Little TheodorLittle Theodor ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hi guys. I followed the latter stages of your 2018 thread with interest and must admit that I’m becoming more and more curious about Comrades. With other things going on in my life, I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to put my name down for next year but have a few questions if you don’t mind:

1. I’ve looked at the training plans on the Comrades website but are there any plans you have followed that you could recommend? For marathons I’ve used P&D and Hansons with good results. Is there anything similar but designed for Comrades?

2. Where I’m based, it’d be difficult to find a road race that distance wise falls between the marathon distance and Comrades. Have any of you jumped straight from marathon to Comrades?

Thanks and congratulations on last week. It really does sound something else.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard Little Theodore. I’ve always used the training plans on the Comrades website (with a little adjustment to fit in with club nights and races). I don’t recall if anyone has gone from 26.2 to Comrades but this must be possible. A longer race isn’t a necessity though since 50k, for example, can be done as a training run. 
  • Hi Becca,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, you’re right about doing a longer training run, I suppose that would be an option although I think I’d prefer the structure of a race.

Thanks again.
  • Hi Little Theodor, I was a 'novice' this year, I followed the plan on the website and it worked very well for me. I finished within 10 minutes of the estimated finish time based on my marathon time. As for races, I have (in recent times) only done 2 marathons and one off-road ultra (34 miles) and found the move up in distance wasn't an issue. I also did a 28 and a 34 mile training run, everything else was less than marathon distance so don't be put off by a lack of ''ultra' experience. I'll also say Comrades was the greatest running experience of my life. My advice is sign up, get yourself a plan and enjoy the ride!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Hi LT, this year I didn't follow a plan other than, if I didn't have an event, my weekend runs alternated between half marathon and 18 milers. I did do half a dozen full marathon events from November onwards all around 5 hours or over except for my qualifier of 4:37. I was also only doing 2 midweek runs of 5 and 7 miles and not always getting those in. I'm not recommending that as a good training approach at all :) I would love to do more if home life allowed (which it may start to in a couple of months or so). But it illustrates that you can achieve a finish on nothing above marathon training, and, I would say from the experience, you could achieve much better than a late finish with more training in the plan. 
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Hi LT, it will be great if you join us for Comrades 2019!  In previous years I’ve based my training on plans in “relentless forward progress”, but modified to fit with life!  I generally haven’t done road races longer than marathon, but have maybe done a marathon and another 10 it 15 mile run in the same weekend. I’ve used trail marathons (and occasionally trail ultras) as long slow training runs, mainly because I prefer running on trails, and whilst the distance might not be great, give hours on your feet. This year due to injury I had done very little until mid April. I then loosely followed a Training plan for the “race to the tower” event which a friend of mine was doing in the uk the same weekend. Race to the tower is a similar distance but off road and allows 24 hours so some similarities and some differences..... the training schedule was much lighter than what I’d seen for Comrades so gives a different option