Saturday, 16 June 2018 - the world was on fire and no one could save me but you

chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
Morning!

Good hot weather running, SC.

Hope you managed a good run/gym combo. Might steal that idea post marathon.

Glad you're feeling better wabo.

Lyrics today: The world was on fire and no one could save me but you

Good luck parkrunners

LSR for me today. Need to wake up properly first though. Coffee beckons :)

Comments

• Morning.

Yesterday's lyrics - Shiny Happy People by R.E.M.

Hope you've had a good one chicksta.

Don't strain anything setting up or sorting those goody bags Dustin!

What news Alehouse?

What:             short and easy/gym programme
    Why:              trying to stay sensible/need to do it at least once a week
    Last hard:      sleeping - had a rubbish night
    Last rest:       12/6

Lyrics - no.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: Saxon shore relay
    Why: it's what I do
    Last hard: this will be
    Lyrics: no, though yesterday's was one my friend and I used to jump around to at school and recreated it at the wedding (realised 20 years on that bouncing for the length of a song is much more tiring!)

Good work in the mile Don.
    Positive news wabo. 

Have a great day all. I'll probably be our running/driving between runs from 10-4.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no (although should have known yesterday's)

Go well, Emz! And anyone else racing/parkrunning today. 

Enjoy goody bagging, etc,  Dustin. And can we have our sun back please, SC?

So, saw consultant yesterday evening and in short he is happy with the scans etc on the back, although it is taking longer to fully heal than expected. Referring me for more physio and also there were some issues with the blood samples so he is sending me to a haematologist for his view. Onwards and upwards! 

What: a slowly run parkrun

Why: niggly knee and number 98
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Sounds mostly positive Alehouse though every time you see someone you seem to end up with another possible issue. Hope you don't have to wait long to see the haematologist.

Hope the weather is better for you than it is here emzap. Chilly and wet at the moment:-(
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Hope it's nothing serious blood-wise, ale

Race well, em. Dancing and bouncing is hard work, agreed. Thing is when you're young you don't realise your potential. I hated sports at school and hid in the bushes when we did xc :D
    I could happily dance a whole night through though

First 20 miler bagged :+1:. Longest run since April 2016 and a true Forrest Gump one. Meant to do 18 but it felt so easy today. Even threw in a 7:34 mile at the end. Quite happy wth that.
  • DubaiDaveDubaiDave ✭✭✭
    Morning 

Chick: nice run
    EM; good luck with the relay
    SC: having fun in Spain 
    AH; mostly positive, hope the PR went well.
    Wabo; good news
    Dustin: your in for a busy day

What : Bushy Park PR 23-10
    Why: Mrs DD wanted to do it
    Last hard:  Thursday 
    Last rest: 09.06
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Great running Chicksta, such a good feeling to bag the 20's :-)

No snacking on the goodies in the goody back Dustin :-)

Ale, done one and doing the other later :-) 

parkrun pacing duties again today for 25 mins at Swindon. (24:54) so nicely in the bag...

Have Broad Town 5m later doubt I will get a sub 35 but will be trying...

Take care all
  • Rest (taper) day but will swim later
    Hoy HM tomorrow
    Last hard: Thursday track session
    Last rest: Tuesday
    Lyrics no

Sounds as if you're heading upwards Chick  :)
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

What: 11.15miles
    Why: Because I can
    last hard: getting out of bed
    Lyrics: No

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Nice pacing RFJ.
    LMH: In the gym, no run...we'll see :-)
    Ale: Curate's egg on the outcomes. Hope the rest turn out well.
    DD: How is Bushy (apart from busy/crowded)? My boy is up in Surbiton and he's agreed to take me over next time I'm up.
    In awe Chicksta: Only ever done that distance when running a marathon
    Emz: good luck and enjoy today. Bouncing for a whole track these days tends to waste the calves. The bus pass beckons.
    What a difference a day makes! Post report yesterday I went for a walk along the bech for date with QoP and a fog had descended. Still mid 20's and warm but visibility gone. Sfter some gentle prodding the walk back was even more interesting as visibility was further reduced i.e less than 50 feet. Watched a certain Iberian derby in a sports bar last night with the locals. Talk about emotions running high!
    Up this morning to a chilly 18 degrees with visibility still less than 50 feet. Inspired by LMH's easy short 10 miler in the week that was today's goal. Really enjoyed the longest, hardestfastest average run of the week.
    I know if you only train with slow miles you get slow times but the consistency of terrain ynderfoot for at least 70 per cent I truly think was worth about 20 seconds minimum per kilometer and great for building up the leg muscles too. I think I might go for SB at parkrun next Saturday as this is the most consistent longish running I've managed for a couple of years. Best news is only one SVT this week and over 40 miles so very happy. Had intended to take some pics to share with you today but no chance of that now...next year
    What: 10 Miles
    Why: LMH inspired
    Last Hard: Oh today
    Last Rest: Monday
    Lyrics: nope

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

What: parkrun, 26:01

Why: started off gently (first k in 5:58) and then gradually picked things up and passed lots. Unfortunately knee is now very tender. There's always something as we get nearer to the bus pass. Unfortunately bus passes remain a sore point: in Wales, Scotland, London, Liverpool and a few other places the bus pass eligibility is 60; in Manchester and most of the rest of England it is the state pension age, which for me will be 65 and 3 months. 

SC: not sure that I agree with  "if you only train with slow miles you get slow times"! I think that there is at least one other on here that may disagree as well! Bet the footie was fun! I watched the second half in a pub here and it was a fairly electric atmosphere so I can imagine what it was like in Spain, or Portugal for that matter. Enjoy your remaining time away. 

DD: I, too, must do Bushy some time. 

Hope you run well this pm, RFJ: decent warm-up at parkrun!

And great that you could post a 20, Chick, and feel good as well!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    SC, sounds good, a great week.

chicksta, great long run, superb last mile.

Well done to all park runners.

I never made it to one this morning, just did 6 miles with a bit of grass track work in the middle.  Couple of 300s in 54, striding.  A 100m in 14.5, again not pushing it.  10+ football pitch reps and one 0.75 ‘hill race’ rep in 4:40.  The pitches and track are in the best condition for years due to all the dry weather but its bucketing it down today.

Lyrics, yes, 2 in a row! 
  • Lovely to end a LSR feeling like chicksta, all your hard work is paying off.

It was an and rather than an or SC:-) I don't think I'm doing too badly on a diet of slow miles..........

Sorry to hear that your knee is niggly Alehouse.

A weekend in the smoke DD?

Race well this afternoon RFJ.

Hope you have a good swim OH. I'm amazed you could do a track session on Thursday after your weekend exploits.

Are you on duty Donaldo?

Nice miles Poppy.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    I am indeed LMH, it's my final weekend duty day until the end of August!  Bit of drama to sort out earlier today but all quiet at the moment.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Not long until you break up I imagine, Don!
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Two weeks Ale, looking forward to a wee break. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    5 to go here, Don!
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Oh no, ale. Not another injury please :(

Interesting fartlek session, Don. Glad things are quiet now.

Good double figure miles, poppy.

SC: Lots of slow miles are the way to go. Definitely. Train slow to race fast.

Good luck tomorrow, OH.

Good parkruning, DD, ale and RFJ.

DD: Do you run together with Mrs. DD?
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    well done at parkrun Ale, hope the knee settles...

Broad town 5 - Legs, where art thou oh legs...… story of my race this afternoon, too much too soon esp after the 10k on Weds, even though being a bit faster, legs very tired....6.43 Flat and fast, 6:50, settling down, 7.06 into the wind and bumpy, 7.27 windy and hill, 7.08 for the last mile inc up and down. 32nd overall (13th V40, yet team mate behind was 8th Sen Male, legs just very heavy today and wind didn't help too, 35:17 :-)

• I hope the rest of your weekend is quiet Donaldo.

You have been asking a lot of your legs RFJ.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Exactly what I was going to say to RFJ, LMH: Edinburgh was less than a month ago! So well done under the circumstances...and take care!

Chick: have been nursing a knee or two for a couple of weeks; not sure that today's uneven ground was very helpful!