My Last Run

Comments

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Cal, no Swittle unfortunately, I sent him a PM to say I would be in the area but it seems I've scared him off by doing so. :/ Can definetly recommend the region and I also enjoyed Liverpool.  Did your relay go well? I hope not as windy as in Wales at the mo.

Hope the induction is going well Will, good to see you out running.  We are enjoying Wales, must be putting on weight from the good food though.

Bit of Mtbing this morning and a 6 mile trail run this evening down in the valley as its getting very breezy.  Nice route through some oak woods, bit stop and go for gates and stiles.  I won't provide details on the dead sheep..
  • Will ClennellWill Clennell ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    You can't beat the golden carbs of the valleys, Hazlenut. Have you had 'half n half' yet (rice +chips)? I was once asked if I wanted mashed potato with mine!

This hotel room is doing my nut now and I'm so full on the free food I get that I skipped lunch today (cannot remember ever doing that). Induction is interesting and I think I'll enjoy working with these learners - hugely varied backgrounds. I got out on the trail again today for an easy/bloated 3 miles + and heard Green Pecker, Chiffchaff and spotted another Muntjac. Another 4 day streak for me (in Swittle's honour) and then steak and chocolate fondant - boom.

I am now fully up to date with my antipodean soaps and back on good terms with Dr Karl, Toadfish and Mazza. Despite being naturally anti-social and enjoying solitude, a Premier Inn is not the best setting for these hobbies. Can't wait to get back to la famille tomorrow. 

Happy running all!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Just did the relay. I was on the first leg of my team (Chasers fielded quite a few teams - we had first male and female teams too, although obviously I wasn't on one of those). The loops were about 2.8 miles, all trail (sandy and gravelly, so not the easiest to run on) with most of the uphill coming in the second mile. I did it in about 24 minutes which isn't bad, considering. My team wasn't last by a long shot (though I haven't seen the full results yet).
    Good fun cheering the runners home once I'd finished. Saw a lot of deer (it was Richmond Park). And now I'm tired.
    That's a good result Cal. Have a good sleep :)

Will, if you are still around, Springwatch live is quite entertaining.. Chaffinch sitting on nest fast asleep.. :D
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I was absolutely wiped out yesterday so took a day off, then back to it today for a rather warm (20 degrees) run around the common. Didn't mind the warmth, except that I got pretty thirsty. I think it'll be a little cooler on Sunday for my birthday 10K.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Did my local parkrun today, a little more sedately than recent weeks because a) the insomnia is catching up with me and I feel knackered and b) 10K tomorrow. Still under 28 minutes, so I'm OK with that.
  • Insomnia is a swine, Cal. Good Parkrun work and hope you have a nice 10K tomorrow. Is it an early kickoff? Hope it's not too warm for you.

I did my local trail Parkrun at Colney this morning. Felt like I pushed it quite hard and happy with 25:33. I ruled the roost again on the double hill attack - even got congratulated at the end  by a dude who was neck and neck with me until the final go up the hill (it's quite a steep minute). 2.5 mile jog there and back so 8 miles in total, which is what I need to do tomorrow to stay on plan. This just enjoyed the Aussies' effort against Les Bleus.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Some great running going on. Well done everyone!

Sadly the week before last I had a bout of really bad anxiety. So bad in fact that I couldn’t run properly as my breathing was all off.

Last week was better and I managed to stick to my training plan and did a body pump class at the gym which,quite frankly, kicked my butt! I was second female at parkrun this morning with 23:38. 7:36 average pace overall. 
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hello everyone. Felt rough this week. Seem to have become a buffet for bitey little insect bastards and am not reacting well. With one thing and another no running this week until yesterday. Trying to make up the miles. 15.2 yesterday. Felt terrible at mile 3 but ran it off. The swallows feeding over the Ings and not disturbing the cows when running up behind them distracted me from my internal grumbling. Swear I saw the two drunken girls again from a week or so back.
    15.1miles today on/offroad mix. Took in some paths I've never run before. Wasn't sure to what extent they existed but pretty well worn. Even after all these years there's still new places to explore. Came across a village wide yard sale and dozens of Vespas and scooter riders parked up in a beer garden.
    Around 7:40min/mile pace both runs. Body does feel tired. Want to put in another 10+ tomorrow to make the weekly 40miles.
    I hope the tension abates Andrea.
  • Nothing special to say about my runs since last time. 6 miles at 7:19min/mi pace today. Still doing 40 miles a week over 5 days. Mostly endurance peppered with faster paced miles but nothing specifically stamina or speed related. Just want to get through the summer stronger and faster than I came in
    Nice parkrunning going on.

Good  luck for your 10k Cal.

Sorry to hear you've both been off colour JT and Andrea.

Good consistency Stephen.

Still taking in the sights of Wales.  A good hike yesterday with some minor scrambles and four peaks above 3000ft.  Today late afternoon a bit more than ten undulating miles out and back along a rough track between Capel Curig and Llyn Ogwen with stiles gates and cattle grids.  Lovely light, the morning rain had washed everything clean.  Listened to 100 variations of baaaa.. The dead sheep has gone fortunately.
    Happy birthday Cal :)   I hope you have a lovely day and the 10k goes well.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I got my birthday PB! It's a fairly flat race (a few very mild gradients but no hills), and it was relatively cool for this time of year so I pushed myself and took more than 50 seconds off the old time, which has stood since 2016. New time is 52:43, which I'm delighted with. No medal but I got a shirt with the date on it, so I now have a birthday shirt.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday shirt Cal and great 10k. Hope you're continuing to enjoy your UK running tour Hazel.
    10miles today in bit over 1hr13. Am surprised it was quicker paced given my legs were tired, but there you go.
  • Nice running, Cal - great time! Happy birthday indeed :)

A PB at Junior Parkrun for my boy this morning, which he ran with my Dad as I was marshalling. Top Father's Daying.

I got out for my last run yesterday evening. 6 miles in an hour, at a pace of about 6 miles an hour. Some extraordinarily bright purple flowers in the margins, which I need to look up. Took my camelbak, as I felt thirsty, but it just resulted in me needing a wee.
    I run, therefore I am.
    Excellent racing Cal, a birthday PB must be one to remember. 

Swift 10 JT.

3 and a bit this morning before heading up the second highest mountain in Wales.  The run was made more interesting by a bit of road rage as a van driver went past me much too fast for comfort on a narrow road and I rapped on the guy's side panel.  He was furious and even more so when I laughed at him for his hysterics.  Yeah - call the police.. There was a family of walkers around the corner you might have tried to run over as well.
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Hello MLRers
    Hope all OK? Especially Andrea, and hoping swittle is lurking somewhere 
    I've been running, as usual, and swimming, as usual. This morning's early outing was a frankly very difficult 5 x 1k but then I'd done a 5 mile XC easy run around 7 last night, and the speed session came less than 12 hours later.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Hello. 18.7miles on/offroad today. Tiring. A lot of miles have gone through my legs in the last four runs.
    Short very overgrown sections that slowed me right down and left big red welts across my legs. A buzzard took against me and dropped into an aggressive swoop whilst I was watching it. It didn't get too close thankfully but I took the hint. Figure it must have been nesting nearby.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Maybe take a machete next time, JT?
    Drivers can be idiots, Hazelnut. Ah well, hope you're enjoying your trip. Wales must seem gently undulating compared to Switzerland...
    Glad you're still getting your runs done, Nessie.

7 miles today - 6 miles progression plus a cool-down mile. Saw a cormorant.
    Achilles is pretty unhappy, even though I wore the Zoom Flys which have a much bigger drop than my normal Frees. It's a real nuisance as it hasn't been a problem since 2012. I wonder what's set it off?
  • BrizoBrizo ✭✭✭
    8 miler yesterday after only getting in some 5ks and 10ks over the past few weeks. What a blinder of a run!! Ended up with a mate jumping in the local river to cool off and had a load of people laughing and cheering at end as we had such a great trail run.  Cal Jones, What are you doing for your Achilles as mine has been flaring up for past few weeks.
  • Hello Brizo - sounds like you had a laugh and a good run!
    Hope the achilles settles down, Cal.
    It's been hard fitting runs in this week, with loads on and the footy. I got out tonight for some Midsummer trail action, back down at the UEA lake. Lovely warm evening with plenty of flies and midges to dodge. 6.5 miles included a couple of lake laps and a surge up the infamous 'cardiac hill'. Highlight on the way back was a Lesser Black Backed Gull eating a dead squirrel.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hi Brizo! The usual - heel drops, rolling my calves. Also just bought myself some Nike Epic Reacts (I usually run in Frees, which have a 4mm drop, whereas the Epics have a 10mm drop which should take a little of the stress off my calves). Also, apparently downhills are worse for the achilles than uphills, so good idea to avoid hill work until it settles down.

Speaking of shoes, I took mine for their maiden voyage today. I had to rest yesterday (well, aside from a hot pilates class) as my achilles and hip were pretty grumpy, but I took full advantage of the beautiful weather today. The shoes were very nice - light and bouncy. I enjoyed running in them, although I was also enjoying the weather.
    I saw a black duck (I believe a Tufted Duck) with her ducklings - ducklings usually don't last long in that pond but here's hoping. And the Egyptian geese still have their two remaining goslings, who are now getting a bit bigger and more goosey-looking.
    Strangest sight was a fat man sitting on a park bench with a six pack of beer and a kitten. Bit of a risk taking a kitten to a park frequented by dogs, so I hope it's OK!
  • Hi all! Doing well again this week. I just try and take a day at a time and that’s been helping. Thank you for the well wishes.

Cal, I hope your achilles is feeling better.
    Will, I don’t like the sound of cardiac hill!

my week so far

Sunday-5 steady miles 
    Monday- 3 miles slow
    Tuesday- mile warm up followed by 10 x 400 metres with a minute recovery inbetween- so chuffed I actually did some of them quicker than target pace, fastest was 6:38 pace and only two reps were over 7.
    Wed-rest
    Thursday 3 miles slow after a body pump class at the gym.

Another rest day today. SO pumped for parkrun tomorrow!
  • Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭
    Good running all and Andrea, good to hear you're out and running.
    I've been swimming and running, most notably a 5k race at the Olympic park last night (midsummer), which i finished in around 24.40, which is one of my better times. This morning I felt wiped after the race and an 18 mile cycle round trip to the race, the return bit involving racing the sun cos I didn't have any lights. Also had lots of chores to do, so it wasn't a proper long run, just 8 miles easy.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hello everybody. Felt so weary yesterday I slunk off to bed by 7pm and didn't wake for 13hrs. The heavy mileage this year along with gym means I really crave a lot of sleep.
    10.2miles today in the sun. The Garmin tracking was so off in terms of distance and pace that at what I knew was mile distance (showing as 0.6miles) I stopped and reset. Worked okay so further 9.2miles in about 1hr05. A quick run in the heat. Really not sure how much to trust my watch as generally the tracking lines don't follow the map too closely.
  • Ra n last evening 6 miles. Ran this morning 7 miles. 28 miles for the week 12 miles left to run tomorrow.

Need new shoes as the 500 miles have been reached and I have been feeling the wear since mile 300. I  am fully convinced by low drop minimal shoes. Cannot believe I ran in those huge heeled clown shoes for so many years. Change is good

JT, GPS watches are a guide at best If you want spot on pacing a watch with a foot pod calibrated on a 400m track is the best. I used the Forerunner 50 many years ago and it was excellent. Finally they stop being available, but you can get other types, though  they can be pricey. I have been using cheap gps since. I will swap back as soon as I can.

Off on a day trip to Oxford later. I have been promised I can go to Iffley road if i behave. Can't run though:(
    Welcome to Brizo.

Snowdonia is undulating enough Cal, actually it feels quite mountainous - just on a smaller scale than Switzerland and without the ice and snow therefore.  Saying that the perceived temperature on Snowdon on Thursday was -5 apparently.

Good to hear you are feeling a bit better Andrea and getting out for your runs.  Hope parkrun went well today.

Nice 5k Nessie.

Good long sleep that JT. 

Back home from my holiday in the UK..  Five and a bit miles with some strides.  Lost count and did seven rather than 6 but better than only doing five I guess. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done Nessie - saw some of your pics on Facebook.
    No run today (timekeeper at parkrun, then yoga) as I'm racing tomorrow. Looks like a warm one.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Harry Hawkes 10 done, and I finally got my sub-90 (officially it was 1:28:58). Tough race - not as humid as last year, fortunately, but it was very warm and I got pretty dehdrated. Water stations were cups so I got at best a mouthful from each so it was inevitable I'd have to slow down. Fortunately I'd built enough of a buffer early on that a couple of over-target miles didn't matter. I downed four bottles of water once I got through the finish.
    Very very tired now, but glad I cracked the magic 90, so it was worth it.
    Excellent work Cal.  You are having a good year for PBs if I remember correctly.  Nice to break the 01:30 barrier by a comfortable margin I would say. 

Hill race for me today, 01:30:46 for 7.4 miles with 800m ascent.  The legs were not interested in anything hilly today and I had to march quite a bit.    Am still tired from travelling home late on Friday and the cat waking me up at 5am demanding breakfast this morning didn't help.  Probably also did a bit too much yesterday - or at least too fast. 

Conditions were good - not too hot unlike in the last couple of years.  Scored a few points for the team at least - I was the only one of 5 participating today.