Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    NZC-hope the knee injury clears soon the bike may help as its low impact.

Just 8x200 tonight as we have another 10k on Thursday.Going to be hard work as the course is very hilly.Should be a good workout one way or another.
  • Ray
    you are packing the races in - not letting that marathon fitness go to waste!
    Those reps will be useful over shorter distance races - good luck tonight

Dave
    a good week's work despite tired legs. How fast was your daughter at the parkrun?

NZC
    That improved on your last time so it is going in the right direction - particularly with a gammy knee.

well after hot and humid came cool and dank for a few days but Tuesday night gave perfect weather for  the Hash from a very pretty village, Markington , on a lovely course mainly off road on good paths. 
    I did 4.7 miles which was ok on the knee if not okay on the thyroid but the thought of refreshment drove me on!

Cool out this morning under some mist but I managed a brisk (for me!)  3.2 miles in 29:20 as I felt quite god until later on when I hit the big hill back home..........................

• Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    TS-a good couple of runs done and dusted.

Really bad 10k for me a definite PW but got it done.The course was a tough hilly one but should have run better than I did.Hope to run better on the next one in 2 weeks.The time was 53mins about 8:24 pace,but the course was a tad long at 6.32 distance.
  • Ray
    maybe the last set of reps were too close to the race to fully recover? perhaps try a slightly longer, easier taper for the next one as a pacy 10K does take a lot of effort and you need the energy tanks full!!

I have been feeling slightly better this week - increased dosage of thyroid medication may finally be giving me some balance but that doesn't account for my elevated "deity" stake yesterday - just a mis type :)

Same early morning weather as yesterday and I ran the same route but 10 seconds faster. That's not much to write about, you may well say, but 

1m 9:43   up and down
    2m 8:35   down!
    3m 9:53   Hipps Hill 
    .15 1:00

29:11 in all and av pace 9:18m/m

so I actually broke 10 mins for the hill and didn't collapse at the top - I left that until I got home :)
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    NZC - hope your knee eases quickly

Ray - sounds tough going at your 10K, but I'm with TS - I know I would need more than a day inbetween a session (even if "only" 8 x 200m) and a race, these days.  

TS - good to hear you're improving, even if only "slightly" - btw, maybe the "elevated deity" state was due to your post-hash refreshment ?    

thanks for asking - my daughter scored 21:07 for the parkrun - this particular one (we have about 7 here) is a 3 lapper with a long, steep hill on each lap, and is generally regarded as up to a minute slower than her more usual one, so she was happy enough. Her PB on the more regular course is 19:42, set last year.   

Only one run (6 miler on Wed) so far this week - day off Monday, as I felt quite drained after the very humid Sunday run, then "life" intervened on the other days. Will try and get out today & the weekend.    

Dave
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    quiet here - 

decent 3 days - 6 Friday, 8 with a few "surges" (!) yesterday, 13 this morning. So 33 for the week (albeit in a rather unbalanced fashion) . . . .

Dave
  • Dave
    good week's work despite life getting in the way :)
    Very good time by your daughter - she should come to Harrogate parkrun - 3 laps of a gently sloping up and down course run on grass and tarmac and she could do some damage to her PB.

Hugely increased the mileage this morning - from 3.1 miles to 4.2 miles :)  Basically my shorter run with a fairly level extra mile thrown in before the hill on a humid morning
     So 39:10 at av pace 9:23m/m

09:40
    08:42
    09:22
    10:06
    01:20

Didn't manage to get under 10 min for the hill but it was an ok effort

Running up the easier part of the hill I came across the volunteers setting up for the junior parkrun.  A woman say me coming and said "make way, runner coming through".  I replied "thank you for the complementary noun " which provoked much amusement amongst the contingent :) - I wasn't moving very fast at that part of the run
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Dave,good mileage over 3days especially with thirteen being the last one.Have you set any targets for your 10k race?

TS,nice to have a bit of banter on a run.Watched the triathlon today which I quiet enjoyed.

Hills reps yesterday at the club for me,and a easy 9miles today.
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    9x400m last night so not to bad.Will have a rest today if I can keep out of wife's way.
  • Ray
    haha - I know what you mean!!

Two days of extreme gardening - when one's tools are a pickaxe,  14 lb sledgehammer, bandsaw and a large clay spit - this is not polishing the flowers time!!
    left me broken and knackered and knees inflamed again. If anyone wants a whole body workout I have some more to do.....................
    Went to the hash on Tuesday night and died out there.............................
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Hello all. Good to see you still going. Have been AWOL for a long time, for no very good reason, and not read back except just the last page. Building up the running gradually, with a knee support on the iffy knee. Have done a parkrun recently, and last night took part in a local 5k race (struggled, but finished. Last. But no other women close to me in age). 
  • Columba
    good to hear from you again - thought you may have been struck down with the unaccustomed warm weather we have been having -even in Wales!!

you must be progressing pretty well to feel confident enough to take part in a parkrun and a 5k and it sounds like you bagged an age category win in the latter :)  Well done indeed.

my extreme gardening took its toll on my knees and other parts of the body unused to such punishment so I have not ventured out running since although in truth I have also been on the road early most mornings for meetings etc.  Horrendous yesterday as the storm ripped masses of leaves and branches off trees and scattered them across roads where they were turned into a bright green mush. 
    At one stage my car was chased by an errant wheelie bin on it side and I had to speed off to avoid a collision - at least that's what I told the police!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Ray - no target as such - the 10K will provide a benchmark. It's certain to be a PW.  Good track session, btw  . . . .

Columba - hello - I think I must have joined the forum since you last posted, so you're "new" to me  :) 

TS - hope the wind has died down - the "gardening" does sound very extreme indeed !!  

8 miles easy today with a chum . .   

Dave
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    Columba,
    Please to see you are still running, I was beginning to think that you had retired. I have a dread of being the last one still standing.

TS,
    Any diagnosis on the knees apart from the usual, you are old.

Graham,
    When I get time I will dig out a couple of drawings to post, maybe some simple sketches from Crete.

My running is still going very well on a diet of modest mileage and a little speed work consisting of fartlek and strides. I have entered another 5k on Canada Day. You may recall I did it last year in a major storm and had a great pic of me running through knee deep water.
    All my aches and pains have subsided but I still have this numbness in the balls of both feet, no pain just numbness that goes from the balls of my feet and under my big toes.
    I have good circulation and movement in my feet so my doc has referred me to a sports med doc after she did a complete blood work on me.
    It doesn't really interfere with my running but it is very distracting.
    Summer has arrived here so it is hot and the wild life are raising there young.
    We have a robin, not a uk type, nesting in one of our hanging baskets and a phoebe nesting in one of our porch lamps. As a result we are limited to one end of the porch so we don't get attacked.
    We also have a family of baby red pine squirrels that are taking great joy in tormenting the dog. They also enjoy peeking in the windows which is cute but they are very capable of chewing through the fly screens and taking a tour of the house.
    Mick

• Hello again. I have been struggling since I developed a second hernia last September and am currently waiting for surgery.
    I have started wearing a hernia belt while running and it's made all the difference. Even managed a 5 mile race on Wednesday.
    Just need to get as fit as I can before I have the enforced rest after surgery.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Quick Dr Hill update: had a chat with him this morning (Last stage of Tour of Tameside: The Dr Ron Hyde 7). He seemed well and particularly with it! He had just had a very short run and was moaning how unfit he has become but is trying to get back into the swing of things, mainly through walking. In good spirits and not the slightest sign of any dementia issues either during our chat or when he was being interviewed over the loudspeaker system: spoke confidently and made good sense!

I then bumped into his wife, May, and had a chat with her. Says Ron is keen to get back to parkrunning but showed her disapproval! Hope he is thinking positively rather than deluding himself!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehouse - good news about Ron Hill - I think it would be good if he could do some parkruns, but I guess his wife has had a life-time of running. I think it is important to be able to get outside no matter what. 

Columba - good to see you out doing some events. I think as we age we just have to put up with some things.

zerotolerance - never heard of a hernia belt before - good that it did the job for you!

Mick - pleased for you that your running is going well and you sound like you are enjoying your summer.

Torque Steer - think you are due for a parkrun too!

Birch - you have a very speedy daughter.

Ray - I'd be happy with that time! You'll have to look at getting pbs for 2018! I know I only get pws these days.

I did another parkrun - Western Springs Parkrun on 9th June - 27.39 age-grade 76.73% It is a 3 lap course with lots of ups and downs and bridges to cross - feels a bit like a roller coaster. They changed the course because a big tree came down and blocked the old course. I'm wondering whether they just might keep this one as it is quite interesting. 

I had a day of volunteering on Saturday. I was a marshall in the morning for Western Springs Parkrun and a marshall for my old club in the afternoon. My halo was glowing!

I'm still dog walking so haven't tried out my knee this week, but not as much pain at night.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    NZC - excellent parkrunning once again - another splendid age-grade score, particularly on a tricky course . . .    

Mick - seems your running is going smoothly.  Plenty of squirrels here too - the grey variety, of course . . . 

alehouse - thanks for the Ron update. Coincidentally, I was running with my daughter on Saturday (10.5 miles), and mentioned in our conversation that Ron had won the English National XC, when it was held here, in Graves Park, near to her place. That prompted me to look up the relevant section in "The Long Hard Road" - 1966 was the year !!!    

Dave
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    NZC: I think May's concern is that Ron will damage himself in some way; the reason he stopped "streaking" was heart related and I would imagine she is scared of a repeat. They are walking most days, but not sure how far. They live on a steep hill which has both advantages and disadvantages, and when recovering from illness or injury the hills seem to come into play more.
    Was reading about Dick Quax the other day and thought of you as I imagine you knew him, or even trained with him.

Birch: will get out my rather battered copy! I always found Graves Park tough: ran the Cutlers Relay amongst other races. Good training area! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehouse - yes it was very sad about Dick Quax - he has left a young family, and a great young runner - one of his sons called Theo. If you search I think you will see the funeral on utube or something like that. Lorraine Moller spoke - she was very good. 
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Had a weekend of no running as I was visiting friends in Leamington Spa.Just a weekend of of over eating and drinking Doom bar which is a real moreish beer.

Track session last night was a total of 10x400m split into two sets of 5.The recoveries were 200m for the 1st set and 100m for the second set between reps.
    1:40--1:45--1:45--1:46--1:39-----1:38--1:41--1:40--1:39--1:33
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    good session to negate some of the Doom Bar effects, Ray  :) 

first outing of the week for me today -  
    8 mile fartlek - approx 2 mile warm up (legs feeling ropey) then 3 hills of roughly 600 metres, 2 x slightly downhill 800m, 2 x 400m hills to finish, with easy jogging inbetween.
    Can't say I enjoyed it, esp with the added irritation of a pesky stye in my eye stinging as the sweat flowed into it !!  Still, I'm glad its done . . . .   

Dave

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    6 miles yesterday on stiff, sore legs.  same route today - legs a bit better  . . . .

Dave
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    Eight miles fartlek is tough especially if you are not up for it mentally.Hope the stye clears soon.

Done a off road 6miles Thursday on overgrown paths with stingers and the like.

Managed another off road run this morning round the horse trails.Eight miles in total at 9:30 pace.Have to Marshall the clubs 10k tomorrow so I get to see the pain on the runners faces.
  • ColumbaColumba ✭✭✭
    Hello Birch - also Zerotolerance and alehouse who I think are new to me...
    Mick6 - I see the wildlife around your house is still keeping you occupied.
    NZC - never mind the PWs; I suppose as we age they're inevitable, but what counts is the WAVAs, and you still seem to be getting impressive ones.
    Working gradually up towards longer runs. In terms of time, that is (not distance). 52 minutes yesterday. Weather decidedly warm at present. Very pleasant for sitting about in, not quite so good for running in.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    hope the marshalling went well, Ray 

Columba - what time (on feet) are you aiming towards ?   

10 miles with my daughter this morning - finished by 9:45 thankfully, as the temperature was rising quite quickly by then.   Legs pretty stiff . . .  
    33.5 for the week, which is rounded down to 33 in my log.  

Dave
  • Ray and Birch, still doing some quality work.

Columba - 52 minutes is good time on the feet. I'm thinking it is probably good to do Parkrun even if it is a walk because they are fun and nice to be around like minded people.

I went to Muriwai yesterday. This was the course that the farm hand on the quad bike shooed me off last year, when he was moving cattle.

I decided I just wanted to get around the course safely so went with the tail end charlie who knows the course well who used to live in this area.

It is a very hilly course that has a uphill bush track near the start and lots of uphill road then a huge downhill into another bush track which takes you onto farmland and a waterfall where you have to cross the stream. Then up more farmland hills until you see the red shed then down through a forested area to another stream crossing then out to the sea. Then it is a run down the black sand to the surf club tower.

There was 4 of us at the back but then another 2 young ones just ambling along behind us. We would stop and wave so they could see us but eventually when the tail end charlie decided we wouldn't get lost and would make it to the beach and told us to go on and she would make sure the other two stragglers knew where they were going.

We were out for 2 hrs 47 mins. So although mainly walking I do feel like I have been pulled through the bush backwards. But it was great to see the club rooms and get a cup of tea and a sausage!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    NZC - excellent effort on testing terrain. Were there stepping stones at the stream crossings - or was it "wet shoes" time ?  Cup of tea and sausage a good reward !    

Hot here at present - but went out this morning when, although pretty warm , not at the level it is this afternoon, as I type.   Ran 3.75 miles up to my 5K (fairly rural) road loop, did 4 x 1K "efforts" around the loop, then back home. 10.5 in the diary.   

my son and daughter are participating in this  event tonight, so will be out supporting - you'll see from the pic its a scenic course for supporters . . .   

Dave
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    anyone around   ????     

easy 6, rest day, easy 4 since my "session" on Tues. Hot here (as mostly everywhere, currently)  :/   

Dave
  • Ray A2Ray A2 ✭✭✭
    Dave,well done for getting out in this heat.

Not running at the moment as I woke up on Wednesday with a red swollen foot.Just the middle toe was inflamed and my foot was like a red tomato.About a half a inch from the toe was a type of deep red welt mark and very painful on touch.Tried to get a doctors appointment for Thursday but had no luck with that.Went to a urgent care walk in centre and was seen after little wait.They have given me Flucloxacillian capsules and Fucidin cream to take the swelling down.Still I have no idea what it is only to be told to make a appointment with my doctor either Monday or Tuesday.The redness and swelling have gone a bit so hoping it clears soon.