Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    SBD - Well done on smashing sub 40. Always a great place to be well under the 40 mark. I'm hoping to do Jsy Mara in October. I won't be aiming to smash myself but I'd like to beat my 2015 time. 

Gul - Yes, I can definitely see a good ultra in you. 

OO -  A good weekly total. Hectic schedule there but you do seem to have a knack of knocking out consecutive fast races. 

Good fun at the football tournament today and then out to the west coast surf spot for dinner. Ended up jogging cross country with my boy and up sand dunes and then flying down them. Was a great laugh. 
  • SBD, that great marathon result has also converted well to general fitness for the shorter distances. Are you doing any specific training for the shorter distances or is it just loads of racing?
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - great effort and well done on the sub 40.
    GM - a good weekend all round.
    OO - lots of track racing at the moment; enjoy the speed work!
    4 recovery miles this morning (9:16/m!)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, that is a remarkable run, both the start time and the distance/pace!!

SBD- well done on the 10k. As you say, even if it's not quite what you were after it's always nice to be sub 40 especially if you don't consider it your best day.

Sounds like you had a decent all round weekend Gerard.

oo- that's some fast running all in one afternoon with the 5k in there as well. Hardlines on the sub 18 effort. It'll happen sooner rather than later though i'm sure. Great wava score mind.

Enjoy p and d, Stevie. There's a lot to be taken from it.

Nice 11, Leslie.

Hope the bike ride went well, Lorenzo.

I have remained true to my word and not done anything since Thursday morning. Feeling rather idle and bloated right now but legs feel good and loose. I will do a few sessions this week from tomorrow however I have the Wilsmlow half on sunday so I am not sure there is much point undoing the good rest work I have done as this is a target race.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Birch were you really reading Camus? Big part of A level French many years ago. Existential self awareness is good for runners too.

Some monster runs both long and short, step up Gul/OO. Gul you have a very good ultra in you.

No running here, in doctor’s waiting room with the still numb foot. Self diagnosis suggests a trapped nerve in the ankle/heel. Fingers crossed. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully you’ll fell much better when you get out there running again DT19.
    Hope it goes well Poacher or least he clears you to train.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Doc says neurapraxia i.e. nerve damage caused by pinching, no doubt dating to that monstrous mara in Huddersfield. Month or more to recover. No running. Doc is a hardcore sportiveur/ultrarunner and also recommended Hokas for extra padding. Anyone got a view on Hokas?

The Coastal Run smackdown is now OO’s to lose.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    No keeping a good man down ;)
    only comment on Hokas is how daft they look lol...
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Great run SBD and congrats on Sub 40, always a great time! I dont't think I going to follow the P&D schedule religiously as there isn't enough variety in the sessions for me. Will definitely be applying some of the principles to my plan though which I made a start on yesterday.

May get a chance to race parkrun at the weekend although I'm torn between doing that to see where my fitness is and possibly set a new PB or getting out for a long run on Friday afternoon. I think the latter is more sensible as I haven't ran further than 13 miles since London.

OO completely agree with the Hoka's, they look huge and clumpy! Some people swear by them though...

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Poacher - I'm glad you got some news re the injury. I've never worn the Hoka's and some of them do look very unusual but the new Clifton's are light, less clumpy looking and I've heard good things about them. 

Stevie - Are you training for an autumn mara? Could you possibly incorporate the Longer run with parkrun ala Badbark style? 

DT - What's the target for the half? Is it a quick course??

I was knackered when I got home tonight so I sacked off my planned MLR and went out much later. I did a km warm up around the block and then attacked the hill nearby where I live. Went hard up the hill, one mile in 6:41, turn around and then back down hard for 5:33 for the 2nd mile. The legs felt great after 55 hours of no running. Hoping for more miles tomorrow. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Gerard - Yes I will be, Abingdon on 21st October. 16 week plan officially starts on 1st July which is the day I get back from a stag do! Saturday is a time issue as ive been roped into hedge cutting at my girlfriend's (I hate gardening!) I think it will be the long run. Great hill running!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Stevie - Ah yes, great stuff. Abo is meant to be a great one. I'm slightly ahead of the game in that I don't usually run longer than 10 miles in training but I figured I might as well start early as I always end up missing long runs through injury and have in the past zero proper endurance banked. Be careful with the gardening malarkey. :wink: I just entered Jersey marathon, it's two weeks before Abo. Been a few years since I've run it. Very tough course but it's a fall out from bed option for me (10 minute walk to the start) and would't run it if I was injured etc as I have done with others off Island. I would have liked to have done one off Island but I can't swing it this year. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Abingdon is a great event Stevie - you'll enjoy!

Good work on the hills Gerard - an interesting choice when you're felling knackered!

Apart from the rest that sounds good news Poacher.  Not sure about the Hokas though ...

That's a long break DT19 - what sessions will you do for the rest of the week before Wilmslow?

I'm surprised you're able to run today Gul!

PMJ - Just the races and tempo runs in the weeks without races.  Had thought about doing some interval sessions on the track but time and motivation have not worked in my favour.   I had hoped to find a bit more speed over the last 2 months but happy to have just kept the mileage ticking over and to have maintained a reasonable 10K speed through the racing.

A very lethargic 6 miles recovery tonight.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    SBD - Yeah it seems like an odd choice but I went out late and didn't want to do a longer ploddy one and it's too tempting of a challenge right on my door step. That hill gets me every time and I'm nowhere near my fastest on the segment but I have been improving (slightly) in the past few attempts. I'm not great at running up hills and I need to remind myself that this business of training is not a holiday camp, although I could do with one :wink: Well done on getting some recovery miles in after your race yesterday. I don't usually run the day after a hard 10k. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I had a minor procedure conducted Thursday on my groin so it's actually enforced rest but the sort that I'm chilled about as I needed it. 

A-target is sub 83 with a B target of a pb, currently 83.39 ((not counting my unofficial recalculated 82.55 at the cocked up Liverpool half). The first half of the course is a downward profile and second half up. I'm going along with a good friend who seems to progress at an identical rate to me. Bizarrely he ran 83.39 in May at the Stratford half for his pb so We start from identical positions.  We are planning to work it together. 

Poacher, glad you have a diagnosis. 

Gerard, good hill running. nice work on the mara entry. 

SBD, I don't have much choice. I've been told not to exercise until Thursday. I'm going to run tomorrow. if I do anything beyond easy I risk not making start line. I'm Hoping Thursday to hit some longer strides but in reality I'm relying on where I got to before Thursdaygitness wise.  

On a plus my Welsh castles hit runbritain today. I got a huge handicap boost moving me from 3.8 to 3.4. my previous highest was a very recent and brief 3.7. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - hope you're recovering well and on top form for Sunday. Nice handicap!
    Poacher - good you've got a diagnosis; hope it heals quickly. Haven't read it for a long while now, but Camus' La Peste is a great novel. Isn't Lorenzo the Hoka man?
    Stevie - yes, probably best to focus on endurance for now.
    GM - nice hill work.
    SBD - legs feel surprisingly good.
    8 slow miles today. Probably best to stick to easy miles this week. No long run either as we're heading down to Bath on Friday evening.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I had a pacey 5 miler last night and planning some track tonight & Thursday.

Well done on the runbritain ranking DT19 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    nice one with the dad n lad sand dune work, Gerard - also the hills - I agree, sometimes a better call to have a short blast of intensity, rather than a slow plod which takes longer.    

Poacher - hope the month off does the trick;  yes, I did read Camus (its the only work of his I have read, though).  

good work from others, inc SBD's speedy 10K, DT's Castles (and bonus RB ranking)  -  nice ! 

ongoing mojo problems here - my 10K is only 12 days away - not going to be pretty  . . . 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hi, thread.  Sorry I've been absent for a while: work, niggly achilles and man flu/chest infection.  Now in a 6 week base building phase ahead of marathon training for Valencia.

I'm delighted to see that not much has changed in my absence.  3.45am starts for ultras, sub 40 10ks, you name it, it's still there!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Jools - Nice to see you back on here. Great to hear you're are getting back on track and aiming for Valencia. 14 of my mates from here are doing it this year. I'm gutted I can't go as it sounds like a fab one to do. 

Birch - Ah it was great fun with the boy, he is just like me in that he loves a bit of an adventure and was actually pushing me to go further up the dunes. Makes it look easy when you weigh under 30 kg's! Lols. C'mon man, get some good efforts in before your race, there's still a window of opportunity to get a few good ones in. I really hope you do. 

DT - That's an excellent target. I hope you're able to push yourself without doing any harm after your groin issue. 

OO - You're smashing it at the mo and I will be very interested to see how you go in the 5. Are all the races on the same night? 

Gul - You could always plan a little Island trip next year and treat Mrs GD to a bit of sunshine while you do the Jersey Ultra. It's not much further than you ran the other day but much more scenic and a bit hilly. :wink: I might have a crack next year if I lose my marbles. :smiley: 

Had a cracking double sesh today. The weather has cheered up again after some very changeable days of late. 4.4 miles easy/moderate run on lunch with a few lads came in at 7:36 avg, then just shy of 5 tonight with a pal. Easy first two and then progressive 3 for 7:26 avg. Gorgeous conditions tonight and it's looking good for some not hot sunny runs in the coming days. Bring it on! 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the double Gerard. Haven’t done one for a fair while but think they work. My races this Saturday are all the same afternoon. 1500, 800 and finally the 5000.
    Great to see you back Jools. We thought you’d run off with the window cleaner ;)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great to see Jools check-in again. Glad the niggles are on the mend.

Nice double there, GM. Sounds ideal running where you are. I've always wanted to go to the Channel Islands, so will target a race there at some point but will train hard in order to try and be a good challenge for you in a thread smackdown.  :dizzy:

So, Chicago training is finally underway. Did a 7 miler with some hill reps thrown in on Sunday, a run moved forward a day to accommodate the England game. Then, another 7 last night with alternate efforts, 4 x easy and 3 x quicker by 30 secs. efforts came out at 6.40, 6.26, 6.35. The 'Easy' miles were all around 7.00 which in the evening warmth felt OK, especially after the first 2 miles were done.

Despite ticking over nicely between campaigns, I still feel under-trained and not worthy of a marathon campaign. Weird. Must be some strange psychological condition from when I would do zero running between race campaigns. First weigh-in today too, 12st 13lbs which is the lightest I've been for the first week of a campaign, ever.  B)
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - sharpening up for Saturday. Good luck!
    Birch - hope you find that mojo before the 10k.
    Jools - great to hear you're back in training. Is Valencia in the late autumn? Sounds good.
    GM - the hills worry me. Cracking double.
    9 this morning inc. 6 progressive (7:27 to 6:30 avg 7:02). I had intended sticking to easy miles, but got a bit carried away...
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    GD - x-post. Excellent start. Just you where you need to be at the start of a training campaign.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

still time juts to make some difference, Birch!

Hi, Joolska. Good luck with the Valencia campaign.

Nice double, Gerard.

Nice couple of runs there, Gul.

Whilst being advised last Thursday I needed 7 days recovery, yesterday was day 5 so I thought I'd try a tentative 5k. It didn't go well in that my tentative approach must of changed my gait as my left soleus tightened right up straight away and I got pins and needles in my left foot and by the end of the run the entire foot was numb. My right peroneals really ached as well. However, no reaction from groin area over night so with that in mind I am hoping to get something a little further in today which I can hopefully relax into.

I feel like I need to put in a mini hmp session tomorrow just to ensure my body still works at sub 6.20 pace. Running can be a very insecure sport! On the other hand should I just trust in myself and where I am at and not spoil the tapered legs?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    As experienced runners, we all give out some sage advice to others, DT but we're rubbish at managing ourselves! In similar situations, others on here have advised me to trust in your fitness and you'll be even stronger for the rest/recovery period. 

It's tough to implement and the feeling of insecurity increases but we secretly know it's the right thing to do.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

DT - I wouldn't risk it, theres more to be lost from it then there is to gain. Just have faith that the speed is there and it will be fine on the day.

G-Dawg - good luck with the Chicago campaign, I am at the opposite end of the spectrum to you. I've only managed 70 miles since London so will definitely be playing catch up when the Abo campaign starts! On the plus side I'm roughly 7 pounds lighter than when I started London training so that will help.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks.....that's what I wanted to hear. I was still fit whilst racing 10 and 7 days ago so shouldn't have lost it all with 4 days off!

I managed 173 miles in May and on 91 for June so I suspect that'll top 150. If I compare that to November and December (being the 2 down months before the key 3 months mara training) I did 142 and 165, but then spent January injured posting 70. Assuming I escape June unscathed I have a decent platform to work from I feel.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    thanks for the (gentle) kick up the backside, Gerard, DT -  dragged said backside out for 8 mile fartlek - approx 2 mile warm up (legs feeling ropey) then 3 hills of roughly 600 metres, 2 x slightly downhill 800m, 2 x 400m hills to finish, with easy jogging inbetween.
    Can't say I enjoyed it, esp with the added irritation of a pesky stye in my eye stinging as the sweat flowed into it !!  Still, I'm glad its done . . . .   
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done, Birch.

5 miles at easy over lunch felt much more natural than yesterdays 5k. Sundays forecast is currently very still but with a 10.30 start there is the risk that if the sun comes out it could get warm.