Tuesday 19th June 2018 - I don't know where I'm goin'

Morning.

Lyrics - I don't know where I'm goin'

Sorry to hear that Donaldo. I hope all those on the bench have a short stay.

It's a nicer morning here and I had a better night so I'm hoping to run a bit further. Need to balance recovery with training as it looks as though I may be running another marathon in a few weeks as P has decided to have a go at his new GFA before the deadline. I said I'd support him so may as well run really! I am aware that I'm pushing things on the marathon front this year but if we don't try we don't know do we?

What:           hopefully a MLR
Why:            trying to be sensible but want to make progress
Last hard:    working out what to do for the best
Last rest:     12/6
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Yesterday's lyrics were, "Raining in my heart", Buddy Holly.

Think I know today's.

What: gentle stretching

Why: injured. Again. 

Stretch that Achilles, Don

Which marathon for P, LMH
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • The last day of the Salwick Scorcher Alehouse: 
    http://www.time2runevents.co.uk/info2.cfm?info_id=224964
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Good morning.

Sorry for the absence but have not really been online.

So first, Saturday - Saxon Shore Relay.  A 50 mile relay around the Kent coast (from Folkestone to Whitstable for those who know it) mostly along the Saxon Shore Way.  Split into 21 legs with teams of 5 running.  Each team member runs 4-5 legs.  After your leg, you jump in the car, the next running jumps out and this continues round the course.

Woke up after a decent night's sleep and feeling quite good.  Got down to our meeting point in plenty of time and met the rest of my team (including the new team member).  Got to the start and did team photos.  As the start is on a very narrow country road, it's a staggered start and really not strict, the organiser just writes down your start time and off you go.

I did the same legs as I did last year.  Before my 1st leg, I was having problems with my watch.  Thought I'd fixed it.  Got passed the baton and ran off.  Knew it was 2.8 km and I was aiming for around 16 minutes.  This leg often is very overgrown and this year was no exception.  In parts the weeds next to the very narrow footpath were up to my shoulders.  The route is not marked but managed to remember the way and think I ran well, though as my watch was dead once again, I have no idea.

For leg 2, my favourite, I got the watch working.  This leg goes from St Margaret's Bay (where Ian Flemming lived) along to Kingsdown across the top of the cliffs.  The views are spectacular and although it's an undulating leg it's a great one to run.  I overtook a runner on this section (with the staggered start times it feels great to overtake!) and got overtaken (not such a good feeling!  Though found out later this team started 20 mins before us but kept getting lost!).  4.8 km in about 23 min.

Leg 3, flat and through Sandwich along the battlements.  Not very interesting, but I could see the Flinstones team in front of me.  Got overtaken again (by the same team as before, they'd got lost again!) and almost caught up the Flinstones (they'd started about 40 min before us).

Leg 4, across to Reculver Towers.  Starts through an orchard, then goes along some country lanes before getting to the wheat fields to the end.  Started really fast and really well (after negotiating the 1st stile which had fallen apart!).  Was really pleased with my running and thought I was feeling strong.  Until I got to the wheat  field.  For the first year the path wasn't actually there, so I had to literally make one through the field (luckily as I'd run it before I knew where it should be!).  Finished 4 km in just over 25 min.  Only leg slower than last year.

On one leg the runner got there before the car, very frustrating and lost us 1 min.  On another it was very close (language in the car when stuck behind the caravan was not child friendly).  All in all we finished in 5 hours 54 and won fastest mixed team for a 2nd year running (last year in 6:35 so a HUGE improvement on time).

Great day out!
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Yesterday did 5km and kept having to stop due to calf pain and numbness in feet.  Massaged them with a ball when I got home and they feel ok today.

Wabo ouch for the back.
    LMH hope tummy is more settled today.
    Ale fingers crossed it is only 2 weeks.
    SC that's a late arrival.
    Don oh no!

May try a short run this evening to see how calves are.
    Knew yesterday's lyrics (one of my favourites) and know today's.

Have a lovely day all.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

SC: Welcome back but boy already back at work no time to recover.Are you ready for Sunday?

EM: That sounds a fab team race:-)

Thoughts to those on injury bench I think we need some tacks on bench so no one stays long:-)

LMH: Enjoy your run today and good luck with P's marathon.

What 6 miles
    Why: because I could/all back wanted to do
    Last hard: Garmin 230 stopped working so using 310xt I forgot how heavy it is and it is not downloading to garmin express:-(
    Lyrics: Yes

I felt sick and back niggly i had hoped it would ease but no  so i cut my run short and hope tomorrow is a better day.

Has anyone run the Bristol half marathon? I am debating should I or not:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • The last day of the Salwick Scorcher Alehouse: 
    http://www.time2runevents.co.uk/info2.cfm?info_id=224964

Sounds like a good weekend emzap. Keep stretching and rolling those calves and stretching - not much room on the bench. My stomach seems fine this morning thankfully.

Sorry to hear that you're having Garmin and back issues Poppy.

P has asked if he can run with me this morning which will mean a slower one, probably not a bad thing as I start to try to build the miles again. I'm mindful that I'm still recovering.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hiya
    It sounds like that bench is getting pretty crowded, wishing everyone a speedy recovery
    Emz - sounds great, I love those type of events. Sounds like one near us (Emsworth Relay) when there is always the risk of runner before car as the legs are also very short, at 2-3 miles a piece.
    Well done on the win,

What - club night, I think it's pyramids
    Why - loosen the legs a little
    last rest - 18 days
    last hard - either Sunday or the QoP last night: "legs worst I've seen them for a while". I may have cried a bit. Didn't help having a massive knot in my upper back/shoulder (from all that water fetching/carrying) that she thought would be best treated by sticking pins in it. Certainly earned her crown last night.
    Watching the second half was equally painful.
    Be cheering on Japan today, I will win that sweepstake...

Meanwhile in cricket, the Royal London one day final is between Kent (County of Birth) and Hampshire (County of Residence for the past 20 odd years). Should be good...

• DubaiDaveDubaiDave ✭✭✭
    Morning

LMH: As you say if you don't try you don't know

AH: I can feel your frustrations

Don: And another one bites the dust

WP: as always good miles

Em: I love relay races of that nature. 

SC: I hope work isn't too bad

Dustin: Pyramids.... = Pain

What: Some sort of speed work later
    Why: Its Tuesday
    Last Hard: Yesterdays bike pain fest
    Last Rest: 09/06

Lyrics: Hmm

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

OH: that really doesn't sound like arthritis. Hope you get to the bottom of you mysterious ailment.

Em: what a great event! Well done on the win and improvement.

Crikey, DD. Speedwork after toasting your legs on the bike yesterday??

Likewise Dustin. Not sure I'd fancy pyramids 2 days after a marathon...

LMH: sounds like a good plan. Are you going to pace P. or run your own race and chase that elusive sub 2:55?

Don: Oh no, too many people on the bench.

Poppy: Bugger re. Garmin. I hate it when they won't upload.

What: 9 miles with 10 strides
    Why: leg turnover
    Last hard: the wind was a nuisance today
    Last rest: 31/5
    Lyrics: yes

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    WP: Bristol half varies over the years around start and finish but the bulk of the race is out and back on the portway adjacent to the river from city centre periphery out towards Shirehampton. Can be tedious for about 9 miles. Starts have varied from college green to Queen's Square and finish more recently has been next to @Bristol in the square. Support in and around the centre can be good to variable and the route around and about the last couple of miles can be frustrating (One year we could see the finish from three different angles as we passed by! It's not as over priced as Bath and is a better course but not a favourite. I ran it a lot as my company's head office was in Bristol (1999-2007)  but only done it once since.
  • StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Need to get us a bigger bench. Oh dear. Get well soon all. LMH you could use the mara as a long run and preserve the body a bit. aybe not... :-)
    Chicksta: Impressive
    DD: All okay workwise thanks, just alot to catch up on.
    Emz: Sounds like a fun day out. 
    WP: Legs and lungs ready for Sunday and just need to keep the ticker under control. Advice from organisers is a bit daft. Get there early, roads close from 8, parking free in 11 car parks or so, none of which open until....8!!!
    Training run/race tomorrow (10K) but as it's not very flat, won't be pushing it
    What: Sppedwork at club tonight
    Why: It's Tuesday
    Last Hard: Yesterday's tkd and staying awake when out after for spot of dinner
    Last Rest: technically Sunday!
    Lyrics: I believe so

• Missed your question about Bristol - I did it many years ago, as SC says the start and finish have changed since then but I think the main route is the same - out up the Portway which is a (gentle by your standards I'm sure) incline with a corresponding very runnable nice decline on the way back.

More races SC? I wouldn't pay all that money (overnight stay and entry fee) for a long run unless I'd already paid it and was then unable to race.

chicksta - plan will be to race but if not up to that for some reason I'd try to pace P.

My QoP sounds very similar to yours Dustin. I've just booked my pre race appointment, hoping not to need to see her until then.

Fifteen miles with P, probably enough for now to be honest. Tomorrow will be shorter because of work and then I shall see how things are on Thursday. I'd like to be up to long running by Sunday really.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon all
    lyrics maybe for a second day I do...
    donaldo sorry you're on the bench
    sorry oh about the stilettos, 
    LMH you are right if we dont try we never will know!
    alehouse keep stretching, you will I'm sure
    emzap that sounds like a great run, I've run some of the last bit you were talking about when I did thanet 20 I think
    dustin I've got the Asahi!!
    WP hope your back comes to nothing more than a niggle
    Chick sounds like a good run

my back said no this morning, so I will attempt another slow mile later. I'm not doing the race up London tomorrow evening.

What: I hope a mile
    why: back still stiff and painful
    last hard: yesterday morning
    last rest: 31/12/16

Clinging on to my streak
    have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Please be careful Wabo - this is what I don't like about streaking, I'm sure a walk would be far better for your back than forcing it to run a mile for some arbitrary target.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I will be LMH x

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can