Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Good to see you back out there, Birch.

Valencia is early December, so I've got a decent period of time to do some base training and then add the speed.  10M home last night then 6M into work this morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Very unlucky to get an issue on an easy run during a taper DT19. I certainly wouldn’t risk anymore fast stuff.
    Good luck with the campaign GDawn. That seems quite heavy- how tall are you?
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Birch - Now that's more like it. You just need to do that 3 x 2 miler sesh in a few days and you'll be grand. ;)

DT - The forecast here for Sunday is very warm, I hope it doesn't ruin your race. A raced half in the heat could be v.difficult.  

3.4 miles along the prom today at a very easy 8:4x pace. Got overtaken by some woman 3 times, she kept going past me and then walking about a minute later. Doing some strange run walk interval session or something like that. 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    DT - careful now, listen to the sages
    Nice double GM
    Stevie - Abingdon is indeed a potentially quick course, probably the best UK autumn PB venue...
    ...and GD Chicago is also quick, it's the jet lag which is the problem. Interesting city and no problem with finding good pasta for carbo loading

No running, going to take a month or so and ideally return for the Northumberland Coastal run at the end of July.   Bike miles will be the key
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

Sounds like a sensible rehabilitation plan Poacher. Are you able to do some water running if you felt inclined?

She was clearly looking for a race Gerard - you did well to resist. 

Valencia sounds fun Jools and plenty of time to get in to marathon shape.

Go easy DT19 - nothing to gain before Sunday.

Good fartlek session Birch.

That's a lot of pounds to carry around Chicago G-D.  What was your weight at London?

11 miles today over my hilly route - so 3K level, 5K downhill, 5K uphill and 5K flat.  With a climb of 120m over the 5 Kilometers it's a bit of a slog on the uphill stretch but good for developing the mental toughness.  Managed c. 7:35 m/m pace on the uphill section and 7:36 overall. 

I've not done any proper hill training sessions - i.e. reps up a steeper hill - for a long time.  Any views on whether this would be more effective than just running my hilly route?

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    SBD -  I really enjoy hill reps, best of both worlds. Good for aerobic/VO2 max fitness and is also a strength and conditioning workout. I try and do them at least once a month 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - it's so difficult to judge and everyone is different, so it's a matter of getting to know what works for you. I'm sure I read that Roger Bannister had 5 consecutive rest days leading up to the first 4 minute mile.
    8 easy miles this morning (avg 8:12/m).
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Done it again and missed this page!
    Birch - well done getting out there and doing a fartlek when you really didn't want to.
    GM - strolling on the prom.
    Poacher - is the injury affecting your work? 
    SBD - good session there. Sorry, I'm not the person to ask about hills!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Oh good god, please someone shoot me. Out on a work do last night, far too much vino, beer, eventually crawled home at 2am. Got a race tonight out west and it involves running up sand dunes and trails. Could potentially die.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Gerard - That has really made me laugh, sorry. Get plenty of water down, rehydrate and you'll be fine! I will be in the exact same situation for day one of Abo training as it comes immediately after a 4 day stag do in Majorca!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, this is a very boozy time of year for me as a load of professional functions are shoe horned into June and early July. Tomorrow I have the local rugby clubs sportsmans lunch with an 11.30 start! Dylan Hartley and Joe Launchberry are speakers so should be interesting.

You'll be on by theis evening, Gerard!!!

SBD- I haven't done a specific hill session in a long time. When I want a hilly stage of training I just select very hilly routes for my general runs. Why not stick to that but pick 5 or so hills and surge up them??

Taking on board your advice, I think I will copy Guls run with an 8 mile aerobic over lunch.

Sunday is currently forecast as 19c and cloudy/sunny. That could of course provide very different outcomes. 19c and cloudy is fine. 19c and sunny is not! Very still conditions however.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Expert race prep there, GM. Textbook!  :D

Good Fartleking, Birch

Nice morning 8, Gul.

SBD
    , I like my Monday hill rep sessions in the first month of a campaign. I do a 4 mile warm-up and then do repeats over a ridge near my house, up one side, down the other and repeat. Did it on Tuesday this week due to the England game and did 6 x hard efforts. Ran home for a 7.25 miler in total. I'll do it again next Monday and then increase by 2 extra repeats for the following 2 weeks, building to 10 x efforts and what usually turns into a 9 miler for the night.

Did a recovery last night, just a 5k that averaged 7.20 pace. Some would say that's too quick but it felt easy enough and the heart rate was low (in the Z3 green zone on my Garmin). Each mile was low 7.2x, so I kept it disciplined.

Funny you're all implying I'm a fat b'stard!!  :D:D
    12st 13lb is the lightest I've ever been at the start of a campaign!!  :D

I'm 6' 1" and was 12st 11lb going into London. I hope to be a bit lighter going into Chicago.
    Two days after London this year I was 12st 8lb despite eating and drinking everything in sight. Just goes to show the effect of hot weather running.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I have a pal G Dawg who's 16 stone and runs sub 3 maras, so weight is not an issue for some. I'm about 12 stone & your height, and a few pounds does seem to make a difference to my running.

Gerard you scoundrel, you are going to suffer!

I'm also a bit under the weather- hope it goes for Saturdays races. 

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Plenty of carbs in booze, GM :) (Trying to find the positives for you!)
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Just tried to do my first session since before Stratford half. Was a complete disaster. 
    3x 100m strides which went ok. Then tried to run a 1.25 mile loop at around 10k pace (6.20ish) was completely flagging by the end of it and had to give up after 1 rep

So frustrating how quickly you lose fitness. Will get out for a long slow run tomorrow
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Birch nice to see some "efforts" 
    Jools welcome back.
    Gerard hope the race when well , classic pre race training for winners there !
    Hope you don't die !!!
    Gdawg nice recovery pace and you weigh the same as me currently and Id need to stand on a step to be 6'1" !!!!!!!!!!! too short for my weight lol
    Stevie 1.25m was maybe a bit too far start with some shorter reps to get the legs going.

Club session tonight :
    4x200m /4x400m then 4x200m again with 75 secs static recovery, absolutely red lined it all the way and at the 3rd 400 legs were jelly but came back for the 200's!

40/39/39/38 for 200's 
    1.23/1.29/1.27/1:30 for 400's 
    39/41/38/37  to finish was whacked after that .

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Good reps Leslie. I think you are right, I think I will do something shorter next week such as 90 seconds on 60 off. 

On a positive note I think I've chosen a running club, going to go to Bournville Harriers club run on Monday to see what it's like. Also Adidas Boston Boosts are on sale at £65 so I think I'll order a pair!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    is it over, Gerard?    

6 easy here (but was anything but - legs trashed after yesterday's session)
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    I only died a little. Luckily it was only about 1km up the sand dunes and then 2.5k on the trails with about 1.7k then on the road to finish at the beach. Small field of about 20 runners. Went hard up the dunes with the lead runner. HR went up to about 180 within a few minutes and my word, how I didn't puke i just don't know. Got over taken by one other runner to fall back to 3rd but kept him in my sights. Caught him about 3k in and hammered it on the trail path but the leader was too far ahead. Finished 2nd and the splits were 8:37, 6:02, 5:58 and then some change for the last .2 of a mile. Ugh, I felt awful but glad I turned up. It's a good one and my first attempt on the course. Gorgeous conditions as well which helped. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Podium - check.
    Didn’t throw up - check
    Top bombing!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    well manned up, Gerard . . . .   
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great work, GM. A podium without puking is impressive.

Was working from home today and was able to get my longer run done tonight, meaning I can catch up on sleep at the weekend due to picking my youngest up from Gatwick tonight at 02.00 as he returns from his first lads' holiday.

Did 15 miles off-road and it was a warm one. Averaged 7.53 and felt OK until 2 miles to go when I ran low on energy. Fortunately I had a gel with me which helped me plod out the final miles. Could defo feel the speedwork in my legs from earlier this week.

Right, almost time to hit the M25... :/
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nice long one GD, worth the suffering.
    surprisingly good effort Gerard- a little puke would not have been a bad thing...

I was also on the track for a short pyramid sesh, including a 1:08 400. Feeling much better.
    Rest day today. Just heard the UKs top V55 is doing my 800 & 1500 tomorrow so I’ll be scrapping for the minor places.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GM - great effort and excellent result. Running up sand dunes sounds like a nightmare any day.
    DT19 - good luck on Sunday.
    GD - good MLR. Must be lots of muscle weight in that 12 stone odd.
    OO - should be on for some good track racing - all the best.
    Stevie - patience, now. You'll be flying again in a few weeks time.
    Leslie - strong 200s to finish there - well done.
    Birch - steady effort at easy pace then?
    8 miles today inc. 5 x 1200m-ish efforts off 400m-ish recoveries. Reps done in 4:35-4:37, compared to 4:38-4:39 a couple of weeks ago, so a slight improvement.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    excellently paced reps there, Gul - 6:07/09  mm or thereabouts , if my mental arithmetic is sound?  

G-Dawg -  nice 15 on top of the speed session . . .      

OO -  more fine trackwork - the presence of the V55 will hopefully help you to even speedier times . . .      

Gul  - you said "steady effort at easy pace then"?   that was more applicable to this morning's 6 miler (same route) - "painful effort , at slow pace" would be a more accurate description of yesterday  :/
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

At 1pm tomorrow I’ll begin running and finish 24 hours later, when England kick off against Panama. Even I think I’m mad! :D

My goal is to run over 220k (137.7mi) which is the qualifying standard for Ireland. To put that into context, the standard for the marathon is 2:19.  

I followed a P&D marathon taper the week but took today off completely for extra recovery.  

I’ve my nutrition plan and race tactics prepared. I’ll be taking in regular but small amounts of cals throughout, progressing from sweet to savour and salty snacks later on. The course consists of approximately 1 mile laps and I’ll be walking for a minute every third lap. I’ve been practising my fast walking (12-13 m/m) the last few weeks which have even resulted in some mild DOMS.

I’m excited but nervous too. I know I’ll be paying a visit to hell at times through the race. Hopefully, I’ll be able to endure and my body will allow me to succeed. It’s time to man up and get this done!

https://www.facebook.com/belfast24/

http://energia24.co.uk/

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Best of luck, BB!
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

G-Dawg - Nicely done on your 15. Ah, I remember my first lads holiday well. Spain 1994. Brilliant craic, coincided with the world cup too. Baggio ballooned his penalty over the bar.

OO - 68 is so quick for 400. Re the Speedy V55 athlete. It could be like Rudisha's 800 WR in the 2012 Olympics where he dragged everyone else around to very quick times. :)

Gul - Good reps there.

Badbark - A great challenge lies ahead of you and a real test of your mental strength and as you say, if your body allows you to succeed. Good luck!

Stevie -  I like the name of your club. Do they give you free chocolate? ;) Where did you see the Boston's on sale for £65?

4.4 miles on lunch along the prom today. 6:51 avg, the legs felt a bit stiff but also still felt a bit ropey today! Hoping to feel a bit more myself tomorrow. Going to watch a movie tonight in the local Arts centre which features a work colleague of mine (from our Guernsey office) who is an open water long distance swimmer. It's called the Sea Donkey and is about his Epic 19 mile swim of the north channel. Should be very interesting.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    best of luck, Badbark  -  if anyone can do this, its you !!      

Gerard - that film looks superb, having just had a butcher's at a review or two. Enjoy (maybe you'll be inspired to be the aqua version of Badbark)  :)