Options

P&D Spring Marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Insane racing Jools, sounds brutal so well toughed out. And I thought it was summer...

Joe - congrats to Katie, so close But she should smash through 40 mins in the next one

well done Steve, hope the recovery is quick.

GC should be fine for the first 30k but then it goes past the finish line and you hit an exposed part of the course when it starts to warm up. Hoping for around 15-18C by that stage so still much better than VLM. Yuki will be running again so will stalk him for a selfie!

Last tune up race yesterday, 10k on what must be the hilliest route for any road race I’ve ever done. My PB was last year in 40:40 and the last 2k has killer hills. Small field but the prize money always attracts a decent standard at the front, including one of the Aus marathon team who finished 5th at the comm games. He went on to win in 30:15 but has a 28:12 PB. First half was fast with a few downhills and small hills, going through in 19:25. Pretty lonely after that but kept the pace around 4min/km or below up to 9k. Then the last brutal 1k which seems to go on forever, legs were treacle by then and overtaken by 1 runner. Realised near the finish that the course was going to run long so put in a sprint and stopped watch to find I had just sneaked under in 39:57.  Very satisfied with a 43s PB and sets things up nicely for Gold Coast. Added a long cool down around the harbour to make 28km for the day, followed by the 2k fun run with my 5 year old - most fun of the day!
  • Options
    Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Another casual report on the world's toughest triathlon from Jools! Well done Jools, this is still on my bucket list, I hope it's still going when I come to it.

Training seems to be going well Joe, good times on that 20 x 100 swim on Strava too. Great to see Katie doing so well again.

Nice work at Endure Steve.

Thought you'd run 1200km for a moment there Scott.

Great 20 miler SQ and glad things are starting to improve Spoons, it feels right to comment on you two buddies together ;-)

Good work at Eastleigh AWC. I was also at Eastleigh, legs were still jaded from Endure the previous weekend. Almost didn't bother but I felt a marginal PB may be possible (35:11) but fresh I was thinking 34:30ish. Felt hard from the beginning and despite going through 5k in 17:30 I knew I was going to slow. Finished in 35:19 in the end so not a disaster considering the build up.
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    1SteveMac said:
    Jools - Tri X sounds mental, well done.
    Cheers - great effort at Endure

Macca - Congrats on SDW 100. Would you say SDW 100, A100 or TP 100 is best for a first 100?? Asking for a friend :wink:

Not sure if it's changed but here's Macca's advice after having completed the slam:
     Good question on a first Centurion event. Starting at 6am in the summer months you get more daylight running in the South and North Downs and the views are stunning although both can be warm. North Downs has more steeper ascents/descents of steps compared to the South Downs which itself has the greater overall climb, N Downs felt the toughest to me but my training was probably weakest for that one. Thames Path is the flattest, I think of it as a roadrunners ultra, another beautiful course although you have to be disciplined with pacing as without hills, the temptation to run yourself into the ground is strong. Finally, A100, a bit of both, hills and flat. Like TP, a 10am start so unless you're under 20hrs, likely to be running through the whole night. Logistically, you start and finish in the same place and pass through race HQ at 25, 50, 75 and finish with access to your drop bag (drop bags also available at other races although I never used them) so easy to mentally break down into chunks. You're also passing people in the opposite direction on the out and back legs so a smile or word of encouragement is never far away. All great races, TP would be a good intro, A100 logistically easier and a good mix of flat and hills but with your* background I would be looking at N or S Downs and for me, there was something in the beauty and openness of the South Downs.

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Cracking 10Ks from Reg & John.
    Hoping to get a bit of speed back now I'm done with the monster endurance events for the Summer.
  • Options
    Thanks Jools, that saved a bit of typing.  Steve, my thoughts on the above remain the same.  You can’t go wrong with any of them imho, all well organised with great course marking and aid stations (food/drinks).  

Some great 10ks Reg and John although it looks like Katie has trumped you both? Surely a sub 40 on a road course.

Joe - hope the 4 weeks doesn’t feel too long.  Next up for me is the Lakeland 100 end of July.  It’s my A race but the goal is to get round in one piece.

Sounds like you are getting back into shape Spoons, it was always just a question of when.
  • Options
    HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Well done on Eastleigh AWC.

Bloody hell Jools... Well done.  Been a bit grim here in Snowdonia weatherwise, can't imagine doing a race like yours in those conditions.

Maybe a buff cap NE? I've got a couple of these and they scrunch down small e.g.   http://www.buffwear.co.uk/buff-adult-headwear/uv-cap-buff/binary-yellow-fluorroyal-blue-uv-cap-buff look similar to what I have.

Good to hear you are recovering well Macca.

Fantastic run by Katie Joe - a nice big PB.

Nice long run spoons.

Good work at the Endure stevemac.

Good mileage SQ.

Nothing special for me runningwise just a couple of outings squeezed in between walking and touristy stuff.  Looking forward to getting back to it next week.

• Options

Strong run's at Eastleigh from AWC and Reg 

The tri sounds horrendous Jooligan, you sure are one tough cookie!

Good to hear Katie is back on it and already hitting PB's :)

Nice to hear the calf has eased after Endure Steve

Huge PB John and on a hilly course too!

Need to get back on it this week after last week's disaster and considering I'm down for the 1500m at Watford next Wednesday. Started with 30mins easy yesterday and have a session tonight

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Macca: couple of quick questions on the NDW. I've heard that there's lots of brambles and nettles in places so its best to wear calf guards or long socks? I was a bit surprised to hear that as the SDW is clear. Also do you take caffeine through the night? I'm in two minds whether to take it or not in cash I totally crash when it wears off.

Reg: well done at Eastleigh - that's so close to your PB and impressive considering the build up

John: well done on the PB on a very tough course. Good luck for the GC

I'm just doing a few recovery runs this week to keep the legs ticking over, and making sure I've got all my kit ready for Saturday.
  • Options
    1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Jools / Macca - Thanks! Not planning a 100 yet, but defo in the next few years.

Calf is much better, another 5 miles done this morning. Got to build the mileage back up now before my 18 week P&D plan starts in about 3 weeks.
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Strong work on a hilly course, John. Although I reckon you’d knock that out the park on a flatter faster course.

Also a great 10k from reg. Very good considering a taper that included a 40M run. Tempted by an autumn marathon post ironman? Sub 2:45 got to be on the radar.

Jooligan hard core as ever, back on the back and in the pool already. Mind you it all must feel very luxurious compared to the weather, terrain and distance you faced on Saturday.

How much elevation in Lakeland 100, Macca? Not a small amount I can imagine. Fingers crossed for the weather.

Track with spoons this morning. 10 x 400m on this plan, with 100 walk, 100 jog recoveries. And for once I parked the ego at the door and left the garmin running during walks. Spoons made the good point of being able to more accurately compare recoveries down the line. Paces ranged from 1:15 – 1:20. Spoons wasn’t feeling it and so wisely bailed after six. The remaining reps were tough – it made me realise how much more you can push yourself with company at the track. It’s been good to get consistent weekly track sessions in this term. Talking of reps, Joe did a few this morning…

Considering a last minute entry to a hilly trail 10k on Sunday: the Nailsworth 10k. Jooligan fancy?

• Options
    Nice work in the 10km John, sounds pretty brutal that one. When is the GC?

Thanks Reg - I'm never going to be a fish, just need to get out of the water not having given away 20 minutes for free. Top run @ Eastleigh, especially considering the previous weekends efforts which would've undoubtedly played a part. 

Glad to hear the calf is getting better Steve.

Well done for parking the ego SQ! As you say, I think it's good because you can get a proper time split for recoveries; all good information. This is important for me as for my strength endurance reps my recoveries are based on HR (go as soon as it gets back to 125bpm), so I can see how quickly I'm recovering over the reps. The shorter the recovery, the fitter I am. Seems like you were laying down a tasty pace this morning though, very nice. Agree on the company as well, I didn't enjoy being solo this morning..

Thanks for all the messages re; Katie. To see her back running again is an absolute dream.

As SQ mentioned, quite a few reps this morning. 20x800 to be precise. The aim wasn't to run them flat out, but at around HM pace. Sounds not too bad on paper, but after 10 or so, it starts to get pretty tricky. However, felt strong throughout, and hit 2:51 or 2:52 for nearly every rep. Was a really hard session, so I was happy to put a big tick by that one in the training plan. Only one more tough track session to go now. 
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    That sounds like one tough session Joe, well done on fetting through consistently. What’s the training purpose out of interest? Not one that I’ve seen in any running programs! GC is next weekend so I’m already in my 3rd taper in the last couple of months. 

SQ - nice fast reps, you’re lucky to be able to have a track and training partner in spoons. Look forward to seeing how all that speed translates in your next race. 

Spoons - sensible to save it for the weekend. How are you feeling it will go?

Reg - great run to back up your ultra. It always takes me weeks to switch paces between the 2. 
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Joe that is a really interesting recovery protocol. It makes a lot of sense in terms of measuring 'recoverability' and fitness. How did you choose 125 and how longish were the recoveries today?

• Options
    John/SQ - a lot of my run sessions are very much ironman based; so trying as much as possible to replicate running hard on tired legs. The 800s are in the strength endurance bracket - working at quicker than race pace for a longer period of time, without absolutely killing myself with lots of other hard sessions on the cards during the week.

My hard longer runs are done alternating goal ironman pace (3 hour marathon) with tempo pace. The tempo pace doesn't matter too much, just enough to leave the legs pretty battered. The most important bit is being able to get back into ironman pace straight away even when pretty exhausted. 

The 125bpm recovery is just a number me and my coach opted for, based on my max HR (very individual I guess - my recovery run HR is around 130 so once it drops below this). As long as you keep that figure the same session by session, you've got an accurate comparison. Today's recoveries started at 50 seconds and ended around 70. I've been lower than this in previous sessions but I think the humidity was causing my HR to be slightly higher for longer. 
  • Options
    SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Good level of analysis, Joe. Thank you! You are putting in so much thought and effort to your training you deserve to do really well.

• Options
    Thanks mate. Really appreciate it. I think we all do on here, that's why I love being part of this community, seeing people put in the hard work and getting the positive results. The same goes for you. 
  • Options
    Fascinating stuff Joe, I can only echo what SQ said.

SQ - Lakeland has about 22,000 ft of climb - plenty of opportunity for walking!  Going back to timing recoveries, I leave the watch running so it gives me a longer recorded mileage, I guess that makes me a Strava ***ker as well ? (good reps btw and hope Spoons is ok)

AWC - I didn’t wear long socks or guards on the NDW and can’t recall anywhere where I would have needed them.  I know people post pictures of impassable sections sometimes but I believe the trail has a manager who can clear sections if needed.  It’s less open/exposed than SDW but still all decent runnable trail, if the legs are willing.  I tend to drink coke at the aid stations and fill bottles up with water and tailwind for in between.  I think the coke gives me more than enough caffeine, in fact I can’t always sleep when finished there’s so much muck sloshing around.
  • Options

Great to hear the calf is better Steve

Being able to push harder with other's at the track is so true SQ, makes a massive difference

For what it's worth I always time recoveries and leave watch running

I can imagine those 800s would lure you into an 'easy' mindset until they start to really bite at the end Joe

Tough 1500m specific session tonight ready for next Wednesday. 2 sets of 4 x 400m. 75s between reps and 10mins walk/jog between sets

Rep paces: 65, 64, 65, 65/ 65, 66, 68, 76 (As you can see completely fell apart at the end)

• Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Lakeland 100 sounds brutal Macca. What's the cut-off: 72hrs?
    Impressive session JB & thanks for the detailed explanation/description of the recoveries. CRAB did a similar session a few weeks out from Yeovil. Presume 20 is the peak?
    Have fun at Nailsworth SQ - no way I'll be joining you as nowhere near recovered yet.
    Did a freedom parkrun round my local course in 26:26 which is my usual RR pace however HR was around MP effort. I'll have a go at a parkrun Saturday but other than that I imagine I'll be plodding til the Cotswold Way Relay on the 30th. You doing it SQ?
    Guessing you're not NE as imagine Pen Llyn may take some recovering from. Best of luck with it.
  • Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Thanks Hazel... good call.  I ordered a Buff pack run cap.  Hope it's as good as the reviews.
    Jooligan... I did that Cotswolds relay a couple of years back and we've got a team in from the club... but of course you're right...  I'm not going to be doing it this year.
  • Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Macca: thanks - I did wonder if a National Trail would be particularly overgrown so I'll just stick with bare legs. Good point on the coke - I'll be drinking it and hadn't factored in how much caffeine is in it. I'm planning on 1 bottle of water and 1 bottle of tailwind in my vest - I'll try that on Saturday and see how it goes.
  • Options
    JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    AWC - that’s exactly what I had in my bottles for my 100km and also downed coke at the stations. After halfway I did crave salt though so stuffed my face with crisps and even took some with me. 
  • Options
    RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭
    Well done Jooligan - that course sounds insane. Shame about the weather. Surely a few easy weeks are in order now?

Great PB by Katie

Glad the pace is coming back Spoons

Hope your calf is better now Steve

Great mileage SQ for this time of year!

I had a great HM on Sunday. The Freckleton HM always starts at 2pm and last year the heat (26 degrees) almost killed me. This year it was a much more comfortable 16 degrees with a breeze.

The plan was to get a course record (sub 1:28) as I have never performed well in this race. Started off at a comfortable effort and was very happy / worried to see a 6:25 mile on the watch. Still the HR was pretty low and the effort felt right.

A guy in front of me was running incredibly smoothly and at the right pace so I decided to stick with him. He basically pulled me along for the next 10 miles as we gradually worked through the field. There are a few undulations in the middle which passed without incident and then miles 10 to 12 are slightly uphill and very boring, on the side of a main road. In the past I have faded miserably here but not this time. The 6:30 miles kept on being ticked off.

I had a brief conversation with my pacemaker who asked what time we were on course to finish by and was shocked when I said 1:25. Apparently he was doing the race as part of a longer run and had never gone sub 1:30 before. I want some of what he is drinking!

At a drinks station on the 12th mile my pacemaker got away and gradually drifted off. I still kept going though and overtook two more runners, including one on the final straight. I was so chuffed to finally have a really good race that I punched the air as I finished (show off I know!)

1:24:42 is a course record by over 3 minutes and only 30s off my PB. It feels like a long time since I have surprised myself in a race so I am going to dwell on this for a bit longer. 17th place was nice as well.

• Options
    AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Ramjet: brilliant race and brilliant time. That's a huge course PB.
  • Options

2pm start!? Not sure I'd be keen on that! Very impressive run Ramjet, always great when you surprise yourself in a race

Looks like it's going to get warm again next week

30 mins easy this morning

• Options
    NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    Buff cap arrived.  You don't  get much for £20!!  (and it's £25 - 29 in most shops).  Having said that, it's pretty much exactly what I wanted.  Looks slightly small on my head, but maybe that's because it's quite elasticy… so makes for a snug fit - the brim is acceptable... the SPF factor is good but the really good things are that it weighs approximately zero grams and scrunches up to nothing. 
  • Options
    JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Zero grams is excellent NE - all the best for the w/e. 
    Quality HM Ramjet nice one.
    Here's my finish pic from Tri X - safe to say I was happy to be back in one piece.
  • Options
    Ramjet - great report and what a performance! Incredible time; you should be made up with that.

Jools - cracking photo, love it.

Deep into the first of 3 weeks of the last hard block of training. Long swim then big run tomorrow morning with some alternating 5kms IM and tempo pace; will be around 20 miles total. Nervous about that one. 
  • Options
    Not surprised you were happy to have finished that one Jools!

A bit of nerves is normal Joe, good luck

All the best to AWC tomorrow, could be a bit warm

A very warm 45mins with 5 x strides around Bexleyheath last night as away with work. Found a lovely park to run around :) rest day today!
  • Options

Great work at Endure24 Steve.

Congrats on the PB John, great time on what sounds like a tough course!

Very speedy on tired legs Reg, great work.

Sorry to leave you for those final reps SQ! Top session.

Amazing session Joe, reminds me of the 20x1k @ HMP I did before Manchester. Starts off deceivingly easy but soon gets tough doesn’t it! I really felt like it was a key session for me, will definitely be doing it again before Frankfurt. Nice work.

Great session Scott, despite the tough final one.

Take it easy Jooligan, you’ve been a busy boy! Great finish line photo.

Congrats on the massive course record Ramjet.

As SQ said, I had a poor session on Tuesday - first few 400m reps came out well, but after that I just had nothing in my legs. I felt ok in myself, but they just wouldn’t turn over as fast as I was telling them. Gave up after 6, didn’t want to flog myself with the 10K on Sunday. Not quite sure what was going on, just an off day hopefully.

To answer your question John, really not sure how it will go! I’m definitely in better shape than before Pitchcroft, and my legs are feeling nice and fresh from cutting down the mileage this week. However, the forecast is looking warm. A PB definitely isn’t on the cards, I just want to put in a solid effort really, and hopefully at least beat marathon pace!

Anyone else racing this weekend? Will be time for an autumn thread soon I imagine?