Comrades 2018

Comments

• Rob, do you live in SA now?  

If not you might be having problems with having data to upload and worth waiting to get back to UK where you normally upload before trying again. 

Otherwise I have had a few Garmin’s and they’ve all worked in the end.

welcome to Roger’s madhouse
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Aha! That there woman and her discount site has set me up for £94 per night at the Hilton, but have I booked the right slot; Fri 7th to Mon 10th June 2019?
  • Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    hey Lowrez. All this talk of good deals at Hilton. I've just spent 15 mins looking for cheap deals after Matts comment. Where did you find £94. I'm not even running the race again!!
    yes you've booked the right slot
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Ha ha SS! I knew you were hooked :) A re-spin currently has best at £104 now, but I stress I don't have confirmation of the date, I just used trivago, you might get a different deal on a different date span too, here is what I just got: https://www.roomsxxl.uk/hotel/32539?sqh=decb65ed6c399464dd39bfdb8b6fc020&utm_source=trivago&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=uk&utm_term=32539&utm_content=1JYNehvjsOk
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Hang on; yes; £94; I tweaked the search down to 1 adult 1 room, but can anyone confirm the race runs on June 9th next year?

https://www.roomsxxl.uk/hotel/32539?sqh=27ad476e207c78715b00f84c80c55948&utm_source=trivago&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=uk&utm_term=32539&utm_content=1JYNehvjsOk

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    9th June is what Sports Tours International has as the date. Preventing any Comrades/Blaydon Race double. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Thanks Becca, that's me sorted then :) I can also cancel it up to midnight the day before the stay.
  • Matt..Matt.. ✭✭✭
    Lowrez, you seem to have found an even better bargain. US site was $140 a night, I may have to book with my UK cred card.
    on date, my understanding is June 9, I seem to remember some announcement last year about a permanent move to 2nd weekend in June 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Good to know you'll be in Matt :) Ooo look someone has opened a 2019 thread...

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/347349/comrades-2019/p1?new=1

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I was really pleased with this year’s Comrades.
     Whilst I booked flights and hotels middle of last year, i came very close to cancelling in April. I had a niggle (insertional Achilles tendinitis) since mid last year, which hadn’t stopped me running, but had taken the pleasure away :-( 
    I eventually went to see physio at end of year, and followed her advice. It was good to have an understanding physio, who wanted me to have a break from running for as long as I could, whilst still giving me a chance to run Comrades. 
    I therefore didn’t run at all for first 6 weeks of year, and by mid April the furthest I had done was a half.  6 miles into that half I decided I wasn’t doing Comrades, 2 hours after finishing I changed my mind! Didn’t look back after that. Last eeekend in April did CTS Pembrokeshire marathon, following weekend Brecon ultra (32 very hilly trail miles that took 9.5 hours), then Windermere and Boddington marathons. 
    When on Comrades start line, my year to date mileage was around 500 miles (half of what I’d previously done for Comrades), only 4 runs over half marathon distance, and no back to back long runs. Yet felt calm and ready. I didn’t see any reason why I wouldn’t be able to do it, but wasn’t going to push myself. 
    Much as I love Comrades, the niggle I’d had, had made me realise that being able to enjoy a run whenever I wanted with friends, was more important than finishing Comrades.
    So my Comrades plan was run simple, run at space that felt comfortable, look at my watch every 5 miles, and if not in line with my hope (sub11), adjust my expectations and not my pace!

i was delighted when I realised sub 11 was going to happen. I finished in 10h41..... quite close to the 10h32 I did on the last down (especially when you take into account extra distance and starting further back so longer to cross the start line)

I’m amazed I did almost the same as previously on half the training! I’m not sure I’d recommend doing so little training..... but maybe I would! Previously after Comrades I’ve felt that training had taken over my life, and that I needed a break from training and running, whereas now I feel fresh looking forward to training for qualifying marathon in October and already booked hotel for Comrades next year!

• Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    That’s a brilliant run in the circumstances McH. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    McH, after Max in the pens, you were the first to recognise me on the road and it was obvious then what a great day you were having, and going to have, I never doubted I wouldn't be seeing that incredible smile of yours again at the finish, you were clearly having a great day out there. I am so glad you chose to run after that half and that your love of running has remained intact. Loved reading your story :) 
  • wrexhamrobwrexhamrob ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks i managed to upload to connect garmin by loading app to ipad- and indeed just under 5 min to go and stil 2-3k :neutral:
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Good to see you found a way to upload Rob, it is always a concern that something as epic as this throws a technical wobbler on whatever tracking you are using. Also good to see that you made the right call in boarding the sweeper bus - there is no way you were going to get home with less than 5 minutes on the clock and still over 2k to go. Sorry it ended that way for you, that is a major accomplishment never the less; you ran a damned long way and soaked up a heap of damage trying to make it to the stadium, a  valiant effort!
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    I believe that Comrades is on the 'second Sunday in June' from this year onwards so 9th June 2019.

Top work MM to get a Bill R, particularly as a relatively novice runner who has had a heart attack.  I trust you will try the back-2-back?

Well done WrexhamRob on getting so far.  I trust you enjoyed.

I busy in training again - I haven't run a step yet.  I am stretching and mobilizing like crazy at the moment as well as studying the internet.  I've heard the diagnosis from the biomechanics that I have a weak posterior chain, weak/inactive glutes and core.  I run like I am still on my bike as I am very quad-centric.  I know all this and gradually my enthusiasm for flexibility and strength falls victim to the desire to run.  However big changes are needed for me to be able to run 87-90km again

• Thanks BikeIt, hope one way or another we both toe the line in Durban next year. Good luck with your running reconstruction!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

Bike It - good look with the rehab - those symptoms echo a lot within my dodgy frame - after 60k and pushing it "a bit" for that sub 11 attempt all kinds of instabilities hit my left side, basically I couldn't foot strike properly without a conscious effort to stand up straighter and push my pelvis more forward than the collapse it had settled into, as the final 30k progressed my ability to counter the slump with that approach gave out too and I ended up crouching lower surviving on my quads mostly, not a recommended gait! I clearly need to strengthen everything if I am to become the runner I desire to be.

Really hoping you can resolve your issues and join us next year.

That Max - I am sure he is from the planet Krypton :)

• Back home this morning

McHilly - great to meet you last week and really well done. Despite not being perfect training you obviously had a great day. Bet you're really glad you didn't pull out now!

Bike It - good luck with the rehab. It's so difficult to stay on top of this stretching etc malarkey.  I actually gave up about 4 weeks before. I find it so boring.

I did have trouble with my left leg from the word go. At some point early on I had a searing pain go through my left hip and immediately decided to take painkillers. Mindful of the medical questionnaire and comments on here I didn't take the ibuprofen!!!

I also had problems downloading but at some point it all happened on its own. Forgot to stop the watch though. It says 12h 02mins :/

• Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Ever the optimist, I have today booked at Belaire Suites for 2019 Comrades.

As a heads-up for anyone else considering Belaire, book soon.  This morning the Agoda website said only 6 rooms left for the relevant dates - I then booked one of them.  Fully cancelable if anything prevents me from getting there.

Good luck all with ongoing training!
  • Terry - look after yourself and let's hope you get there next year
  • Terry - I've booked the Belaire too. Not sure I'm running Comrades next year...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I'm in at The Hilton and will probably be there qualification or not.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭
    Oh dear.  Whilst browsing hotels in Durban on weekend of 9th June, I seem to have accidentally booked one....

Obviously my main criteria was free cancellation.....

I went for Bay Point Appartments
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    I got back on Monday and late in posting my thoughts about the race. We had some nice days to relax after where I got on a horse (with some difficulty!) for the first time, and a few days at a private game reserve at Nambiti.  We then made our way towards Bloemfontein to witness Englands's defeat v South Africa at rugby.  Good to be there and a great atmosphere despite the result.  One interesting thing was the Park Run last Saturday at Bethlehem.  That's only been going since last year and it was a 50 mile round trip to get there, mad really, given it was 3C and at 1,700m elevation.  70 or so took part.  My time was rubbish and it was quite hard to get the air in (and out), but a 5th place all the same.  A junior sailed past me bare foot on the mostly off-road 2 lap course.  Quite a contrast to the 2,200 at North Beach the previous weekend.

@ WrexhamRob, it was nice to chat to you over breakfast and as others have commented, well done on getting so far.  The race is like no other as you experienced.  Hope you might consider another attempt.  The 'Up Run" is easier on the legs!

Great performances all round.  Max was the stand out of with even splits and the Bill Rowan at his first attempt, impressive stuff.  That remains elusive for me but I'm sure to give it another go.  I was in a cluster it seems around the eventual 9:30 mark and managed to spot Marty about half way where we had a good chat for a few minutes.  We then criss-crossed a bit, at Bothas I think, before he edged away.  My adjusted target became a sub 9:30 and in the last 10k I realised a PB was possible if I kept up the pace.  The last 5k was particularly tough as I would have probably coasted home otherwise.  But I have a 1 minute PB to show for my efforts and 9:26.  I have to laugh though at all that training, yoga, strength work Jan-Jun to achieve that, but it was worth it!

I thought Southern Snails' even pacing for her back-to-back was also impressive.  Takes a lot of discipline to hold yourself back as you are inclined to want to bag time and create a buffer.  Can she resist a third though?!

McH and JAR - great results on reduced training.  Maybe that's the big secret after all!

I hope that Bike It, Terry make it next year (thanks again for the lift to PMB which made for a much more relaxed journey and start).  

Being based in Durban this time it was great to join some of the meet ups.  I'd not met Becca or Lowrez before.  So time for a short rest for me before the Autumn marathon schedule begins.  I'll dust down the golf clubs, get on the bike, and try a little sailing as I now live on a houseboat between Amsterdam and Utrecht.  See you on the 2019 Forum!
  • Thanks Mac3. Sounds like you've got an exciting year ahead with plenty of new things going on. Glad to hear you got a PB too, hopefully the BR will prove less elusive next year
  • Mac 3 - A pb is a pb!! I have to say I was quite impressed that you got on a horse just 2 days after the race. I definitely couldn't have done. Your Bethlehem Park Run sounds like our Johannesburg one. Same altitude and weather. Bit of a shock after Durban. Not a small one though and I came 3rd in my age group!! (probably only 3 doing it as I'm not quick :) )

1owrez said:
    I'm in at The Hilton and will probably be there qualification or not.
    Of course you'll be qualifying

!Mac3 said:
    I thought Southern Snails' even pacing for her back-to-back was also impressive.  Takes a lot of discipline to hold yourself back as you are inclined to want to bag time and create a buffer.  Can she resist a third though?!
    Who knows??  :) Am rather tempted!!
  • Sorry - only marginally Comrades related but why has our Forum both this year and 2019 been designated 'Pirate' when viewed from the Forum's 'Recent discussions' page?    

Have a good weekend all, hope you're all recovering well and starting to get your mojo back

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

JAR - the software that these forums now sit on has to be some of the worst bulletin board spaghetti I have ever typed into. It is a wonder that we have persevered with this crock and continued to communicate here.

It is my belief that if a Pirate, eg seren nos, contributes to any thread, it becomes "Pirated" in its summary display up top. In terms of crockness that is extremely minor, but it still shouldn't happen in my opinion.

• And so much spam...before the remake I had the power to remove spam...apparently that's not needed with the new set up