Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Never say never pete! Sounds a good little warm up to BP yesterday then. Can be hard to be sure of parkrun distances, but i suppose that's why they have their own slot on po10.

Our.lot had a "mob match" against bracknell at Upton yesterday. Unsurprisingly on home turf they won by a landslide with a lot of good performances.
    Chris B with a 17 dead which is strong as basically a time trial. Impeccable pacing. 2secs difference over the 3miles. 

Young lad who beat me narrowly at Wargrave put a 17.20 in. That's my best there so we may have had a tight race.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Good race there Matt.

The conditions and course sounded suitably challenging, especially to the quads.

Pete, I only know what I've read about it on Google. The connection between distance runners and magnesium appears to be of value.

Well done on the pr though.

🙂

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    SG; is there going to be a return leg at Baracknell pr? I would think that would be much closer as they have some very decent runners and lots go when it is home turf (look at Forezt 5 results from last week). Bracknell course (my nearest and 'home pr') is very tough and takes some getting used to. Saw the Upton results and yes some great DD times; Chris as you say and also 'Wool' an occasional on here, going well under 18.  

Ric; thanks I'll have a read up. You returning to racing anytime soon?
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    No plans for racing at all Pete.

Being 18lb's over my favourite race weight is off putting. It's just too much to lug about under battle conditions.

I'm ok to do the basic mileage, which seems to be coming out in the ten miles per day bracket.

I've actually just got back from 11 miles which averaged 7:40's. Not so long ago, I was plodding along at barely 9 pace.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Good work in the 5 Matt - sunds a tough one!
    Quality parkrunning Pete - I hope I can start moving in the same direction!

I'm not going to do BP tomorrow now. I still fancy it, but forecast is for 30deg and it's a fair old trek for a sub-par sweatfest!!! Maybe the 16th July one instead.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Cross post Ric. 18lbs overweight? Bloody hell - that's a fair chunk - must be all that magnesium :wink: 
    Nice 11 miler mind!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Bus, have you read up about magnesium?

If not, why not? And if you have, why the piss take?

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    No I haven't Ric, and it wasn't a piss take - just a jokey reference to intake of a large amount of a metallic element! 

Bloody hot 10 miler just now. Glad I wasn't trying to do a proper long one!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Bus, I see where you're coming from. It's just after reading around the subject, I couldn't for the life of me see why GP's and the like hadn't prescribed the stuff.

Then I discovered it was because the so called experts find magnesium levels next to impossible to measure accurately. And because they can't stick a set number on it, the market can't lever a profit out of it.

Instead they find it easier to just ignore it.

All we can do is just take the things and see what happens. 

Today I did the 11 miles running and 90 minutes later, I went out and did 25 miles on the bike.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ric, are you working for the magnesium board? 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just kidding.
    More serious, how have you put any weight on? You're training like an animal, man!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SG,

Usually in summer (after a winter putting it on) my weight falls as I do some garden jobs, but since I've taken the magnesium, it's gone the other way. My feeling is that it's down to added muscle, though technically speaking it shouldn't be possible to add so much.

This past week has seen me take on and complete some of the toughest jobs I've ever done. And those after the morning runs, and not feeling worn out either. One job I did was to cut down some trees and dig out the stumps. No problem.

Strange doing that job. It was for the widow of a guy who once ran 14:15 for a 5000m and died before the age of 60.

Best thing is read the article, 'Why Magnesium is Important and How it Works'.
    The answers are all in there.

Much as I admire the thinking behind training and numbers. One has to understand we are dealing with a human body. It's a self repairing organic entity which needs the correct materials with which to do it with. Why cut corners?

And easier too.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    There's more, but I'll leave it at that.

🙂

• PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for that Ric; I'm no scientist and was lost by even that article, but I've enough trust in you and your judgement to want to give magnesium a try. This link is from

Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=magnesium+supplements&index=aps&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_toa1wf969_e&adgrpid=52896045293&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=259090385986&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1392953664289828741&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046099&hvtargid=kwd-1059435678 

Which of the many options there do you suggest I go for?

Went to do my club 10k handicap as no more than a tempo yesterday, coming after a hard parkrun and before tonight's Battersea. Got set off with two other lads who had the same idea, but one set too fast a pace and we ending up sub 40! (39'25 for me which was 30 seconds quicker than the frigging Wargrave 10k I raced properly a couple of weeks ago!). Good in a way as a confidence booster; not in terms of having much energy left for tonight. 

Shame you're not coming tonight now Bus; we weren't going to trouble 18 anyway I reckon, so could have just treated it as a marker for a later one in a month or so. Agree it won't be much fun though in 30 degrees heat.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Pete, I am going to treat my name check as an invitation to post again! I made a bit of an effort to post more early in the year, with so many of you local to me this board is a good place to get info, particularly that which I can use to tease SG. I then went and got injured. Missed every race known to man in the spring, eventually losing about 12 weeks in total. I’ve been trying to build back up and get some consistency since then. Imagine my surprise when after all that time out and literally no speedwork since Nov I have run sub 18 twice in 3 weeks despite only managing it one other time in the last 10 years!! Upton was baked hard on Saturday and we had a group of 6-7 all working together which led to some fast times (for us).

I am delighted to say that my unique blend of age and athleticism sees me in the DD Runnymede Relays A team. Great news hey SG?! PMSL!!!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Well done Wool. It really is A team or bust in that one!
    However, you never know, the 9 or 10 teams ahead of us might take a detour that costs them 17mins, and we might then still have a chance ;)

More likely, I'll watch the winners come in as I set off, and then have an "angry" 800metres up that hill, before blowing up, ending in a ditch, and eventually trundle in when the whole event has packed up!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps nice result at the weekend. 
    Wayne gave me some bantz that if i'd have turned up i'd have been found behind Stevie, but I responded that If i'd turned up i'd have probably come midpack! Enjoyed a lovely lay in instead!
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Thanks SG. Saturday was super-exhilarating for someone like me. Wayne can be super, super encouraging in races and we worked together very well. I am sure he could have come past me at the end if he had been inclined. 

things could be re-jigged slightly to make 2 very competitive teams. Samson and the boys would never go for that though. I see Andy Irvin (v50, finished just behind me on Sat) isn’t in either A or B. I did see Rob on Sat too. It’s fair to say he doesn’t look at his fittest!

Matt was a bit disappointed not to be in the A team too. He usually beats me in races, so I said to him on Sat that if he finished ahead of me we could trade slots but surprisingly he finished a few seconds behind me.

Anyway, with 12 days to go there is time for the teams to change 14 or 15 times. I mean, Chris B is going to get ill or injured at least 3 times between now and then!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Despite Rob getting carried away with this 2 team business, the right thing is to do what they've done. We're good, but not good enough to think we can treat it as our own little contest! If Reading fielded even 3/4 of what they could field, they'd win it by a fair chalk i'd imagine.

This is the last year where it's as awkward a pick in the seniors (Chris Hunt would also feel hard done by to miss out if he wasn't away anyway), as next year Samson n Lee turn 40, unlocking 2 more senior places. Sean made me laugh by saying the A team seniors were the "usual suspects". I said, i'm normally one of them ;)
    However, to be serious, the
    challenge of course is to remain in the mix over the next year, which isn't a given. Sod's law will clearly mean 2 of Samson, Lee and Bayliss aren't around anyway :)

Chris B has a marathon at the weekend doesn't he?! Not just a marathon, but a madcap massively hilly offroad one. I'd have thought that makes him an absolutely stupendous risk for a mere 6 days later, so I dare say Matthew shouldn't worry just yet!!

ps we certainly need a BP thrash as a club.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I think we're milking the magnesium talk somewhat.

Nice surprise on the 10k Pete.

The chap I ran with at work a couple of times actually mentioned he was thinking of joining the Dashers, I tried to put him off but he seemed strangely insistent.

Got football at work again tonight. Originally it was just to get to know a few people round the office but we've got to the quarter-finals so I have to play again. I will be happy enough to lose tonight.

Managed a run Saturday, nothing special but my planned bike on Sunday never happened because my daughter fell off her bike and used her face and head to stop herself! It was pretty horrible, blood all over her face but looks like she's got away with a fat-lip and a a few scratches.

As she started to  lose control going down the hill I started to give chase shouting for her to use her brake. When I realised she wasn't going to, I absolutely hammered it after her and almost caught her up but to no avail.

I'd like to have seen a Garmin trace of the pace I was hitting running after her.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    16th or 23rd July for me, just need to decide which and check long term weather forecast / World Cup fixtures
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    But the reality is that battersea isn’t easy for many. A Saturday morning trip to a fast parkrun might be easier to arrange. Cassiobury isn’t that far from us - Sid goes there from time-2-time and Wayne and I briefly discussed getting up there in the near future.
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    Wool; that one I went to at Rickmansworth on Saturday is nearer for your lot than Cassiobury (which I've never been to) and I bet its faster. It's hard to imagine how a pr course could be faster unless its a simulated track like Dulwich :)
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Always a concern there Reg with the welfare of one's off-spring. It never leaves you no matter how old they get. 

Biggest scare I got with my lad was when I was doing a road run. He was on his bike, and as a six year old going up a hill, I was pushing him. All of a sudden he swerved left (to avoid a stinging nettle) and almost ended up in the path of a passing skip lorry.

Pete, I'm using the Solgar Magnesium Citrate myself.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg, bad news on the youngun. Have to ask though are you on a mission to sabotage your racing, with endure 24, and now repeated football :open_mouth:

Dulwich is fast, if I remember right from 2013! I always say I'll get back there, but it's a fair haul, at least an hour even at that time.

Like with most other parkruns though, the front end quality can be lacking.
    While Battersea had 30 under 17 the day I did it, even your Bushy Park might only have 5-10 with well over a thousand running!

Monday knackered daze today, sometimes comes on, which is odd after a Sunday with a good few hours nap midday on!
    6 & 4 in the heat done. Doesn't feel too humid which is the worse of the "H" brothers. Aim to do another 5k tomorrow, pending not being knackered, or humidity ramping up.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Pete - been to Ricky, I really got fed up with how narrow it was for passing / lapping. Cassiobury is slightly wider, still 3 laps but on smooth tarmac and, believe it or not, also slightly downhill!!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Not nice Reg! Couple of similar stories with my own daughter on the bike. The worst one of which was when was about 8 and out for a ride with me. I told her she needed to go faster down a hill to get up the other side. She panicked, grabbed the front brake and piled into the tarmac. She seemed OK, so I pushed her bike and made her walk back home. I only realised it was serious when she turned completely pale and almost passed out - she'd broken her arm above her elbow!!! Even now, she does this weird thing as a result - when she stretches her arms out and her right one goes way beyond straight - always makes me feel sick!!!!
  • PeteMPeteM ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Wool; was Ricky just 2 laps when you did it? it is now and so overtaking is hardly an issue as even a sub 18 runner (like you!) only has to pass those doing over 36 pace and there aren't thst many of those. I find the overtaking issue much bigger at a 3 lapper like Woodley.

Bus/Reg; add me to your tales; about 5 years ago when about 7 my daughter completely lost it on a downhill and went flying across the road. I was behind and just stopped and tried to make a barrier with my bike. Luckily no cars driving stupidly so ended up just lots of cuts and brusies and 1 kind 4x4 driver (yes they do exist!) gave us a lift home with her mangled bike. Scary isn't it. 

Anyway onto tonight's event and my 3rd race in 3 days after the parkrun and 10k yesterday. Won't be a long report as predictably it was a pretty poor tine. Not helped by train delays and them moving the start from last year so I only got there 15 mins before it started and helped even less by still being 28°c. 

Set off ok and first k felt good in 3'32 but went downhill from there. A 3'42 followed and 9'03 at halfway but then into low 3'5x territory for the rest to finish in 18'45. Nothing there at the finish to sprint it at all. So 20 seconds slower than Ricky parkrun albeit for a full 5k this time! Disappointed at being so far off my 18'30 target but the weather, stressy journey and, most of all, stupidly racing 10k yesterday mean it is my own fault. Need get back there in July and have another go. 
  • No running for a week or so, seeing physio on Thursday. Knee just cries out in pain when the stride is anything over 60cm.

See Dachs is in the news: https://www.englandathletics.org/england-athletics-news/masters-marathon-team-announced-for-chester-home-nations-match