Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    being Welsh, OO I am not that bothered who is there, it's just a big footy match that only happens once every 4 years. But, England have a  reasonable chance. Argentina, Germany and Brazil have not really turned up, though i suspect they will all make the knock outs. Italy and Holland aren't there, that leaves France, Spain, Belgium and maybe Portugal if Ronaldo can keep doing everything. It's pretty open for me. I've not yet seen anything that England can't beat.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    DT - What about Croatia? I think they look very organised and have a few world class players. Nice to watch as well. Defo think it will be a European team who wins it. I guess it all depends who England get in the next round, could well be Columbia. That could be a tough game. 

Birch - Sorry, I forgot to respond to your question re a flat mara. Not this year, I'd like to properly target and race a flat fast one next year though. 

Gul - That's a very good start to the week. 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

The Energia 24 incorporating the Irish 24 hr National Championships – A long report for a long race

2 years ago I ran my first 12 hour race completing 75 miles, which was good enough for the win. I had terrible tummy problems throughout and vowed never to run that far again. Last year they had the 24 hour World Championships at the same venue, so I just had to step up and ran the 24 hour. I covered 133 miles and discovered after the event, that 138 miles is the International qualifying standard for Ireland. I’d stopped for an hour after 100 miles as it was my race goal, so knew that I could have reached that target if I’d known.

This year I was determined to reach 138 miles. My training wasn’t perfect due to running half marathon series events, marathons and going on holidays 5 weeks before the race. My longest training run of only 33 miles.

In 2017 the weather was perfect with overcast skies and some drizzle at times. However, I was worried about the forecast of blue skies throughout and 20 degrees heat. Having had skin cancer two year ago I’m very nervous about the sun, never mind the effect of the heat.

Looking at the race program the top three Irish runners were numbers 1, 2 and 3 and all established Internationals. There was another runner I noticed, who had beaten me by 1 hour 40 minutes over a 107 mile race, from Belfast to Dublin early in the year. There was an Australian who had run 160 miles winning the Canberra 24-hr race and a Latvian who ran 2:37 in VLM this year.

On top of my 138 mile goal, I hoped I could come in the top 6 in Ireland, so I could be considered for the Irish 6 man team in the World Championships next year.

At 1pm the race began in Victoria Park Belfast, and the course consisted of close to 1 mile loops in almost flat ground. We were told that to reach 100 miles we had to run 97 ½ laps and the 100 mile mark had a sign on the course.

My race plan was for 8:30-9 m/m early on, then 9-10 m/m over the middle miles and 10 to 12 late on. I’ve found that I always slow later on whatever pace I start at. So I like to bank some early miles ahead of goal target and hold on for grim death late on.

The sun was out as we started and I was covered in Factor 50 sun cream. The temperate wasn’t too bad on the Saturday peaking at around 17 degrees although it did feel a bit warmer as we were always in the sun.

One issue that came apparent from the start was we couldn’t make out the score board due to the sun reflection and small case writing. Even worse was that they only displayed the laps and not the mileage. This would become more and more frustrating throughout and I never knew my actual distance covered. Well apart from when I passed 97 ½ laps for the 100 miles. This was annoying too because my Garmin measure 101.2 miles at the marker so a good bit out.

My race strategy was to walk for a minute every 3 laps, although I did get mixed up plenty of times and did many 2, 4 and 5 lap stints without a walk. I also didn’t walk for a while when I had long pit stops. I didn’t have any support crew so did take more time than I’d have liked looking though my sports bag for specific items.

At 1pm the race began and off we set. There was also a 12 hr race, 100k and a team relay at the same time so paces varied greatly. I just ran what felt like a comfortable slow jog which was indeed between 8:30 and 9 m/m pace. It was great to spend lots of time talking to different people. Early on I ran with Ian, who had run 131 miles in the 2017 event just behind me.

I checked my HR every now and again and was happy to see it around 115. However after about 15 miles it climbed significantly and then started spiking over 200. I cleaned the contact points but it kept doing this for miles. Eventually I just took of the chest strap and relied on the wrist sensor. This wasn’t the greatest either so paid little heed.

The early miles were very comfortable, as to be expected and I completed by first marathon in about 3:50. Mentally I broke the race up into smaller sections trying not to think about the ultimate goal. I thought of each marathon individually and also 50 miles, 100k, 6 hours, 12 hours and other milestones throughout. At each milestone I would reward myself with a longer walk and/or some food.

At 100k everything was going well and it was announced I was lying in third place overall. I didn’t pay much heed, as I knew the internationals tended to run a more even pace and I’d planned on a heavy positive split. I’d taken about 9:30 for the first 100k and it was now getting dark.

It wasn’t long after this that I had my first real difficult patch. I’d been taking in my own gels early on, and had a protein bar after 6 hours. However, I was finding it more and more difficult to eat. Although, I’d brought a wide verify of foods I just couldn’t stomach it. Nothing was appealing at all, so I just sipped orange from the official food table.

Looking back at the lap times I didn’t run faster than 10 m/m apart from a few laps after 70 miles. I began worrying if I was going to make it and started doing calculations to what pace I had to go to reach 138 miles. I’d dropped back to 5th place and considered dropping out at 100 miles.

I struggled on, giving myself a much need motivational talking to. This was why I was here. I knew before had it was going to be hell and overcoming the pain would define the type of person that I am. I am not a quitter, and I never will. I embraced the pain, knowing how I would look back in pride afterwards.

I convinced myself it really wasn’t that bad. Left, right, left right repeat. I stopped thinking of the miles left and concentrating on my breathing and form. I was a machine and thought off my posture and running form. I breathed in through my nose and out my mouth kept pulling my mind away from negative thoughts.

At 1am 12 hours into the race I had run 77 miles. This was a 12 hr PB by 2 miles and also 5 miles more than the 12 hour winner did this year. I had 12 hours to run the next 61 miles which was around 12 m/m pace. Although this may seem easy to most, when you add in the necessary breaks and just how wrecked my body was, I knew it would still be a challenge. Unless you’ve run a long ultra you’ll never know just how hard things can get. It becomes 90% mental and 10% ability, the complete opposite of shorter distances.

I took in some caffeine and push on to another milestone at 88 miles. I now had only 50 miles to run. As I got closer to 100 the pain began to lift and I was feeling better again.  I reach 100 miles in just over 16 hours, running a rare sub 10 m/m mile. I stopped and moonwalk backwards past the marker to cheers from people around. Many of the runner’s goal was to run 100 miles and earn a 100 mile club jacket. I’d done it with 8 hours to spare.

Around this time a spectator who was sitting near my sports bag, told me I was in 4th place just behind 3rd. The early leaders including the Australian and 2:37 marathon runner had dropped out.  

First and second were now two of the Irish internationals and third was an unknown, who I later found out was called Nathan. 5th place was about a lap behind me.

I couldn’t help but give some thoughts of a podium place. This would be a dream come true and winning a national athletics medal would be something to savour for the rest of my life. I was feeling as good as someone can after running 100 miles and pushed on. A few laps later the spectator pointed out what Nathan looked like, as he was only about 20m ahead.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

There was still 7 hours to go so the last thing I was going to do was begin races now. While Nathan took a walk break I moved into 3rd overall. However, within a lap I’d developed stomach cramps and had to go to the toilet. This turned out to be all gas but a great relief to get rid of! I thought I was back in 4th but a few laps later was told I was still in 3rd as Nathan was struggling too.

I kept ahead for a few laps but was overtaken while stopping for fuel. I drank a protein drink which upset my stomach for a lap but then seem to give me a good boost. I surged again with a couple of sub 10 m/m laps to go back into 3rd after about 115 miles.

However the mini surge didn’t last long. I don’t know exactly what happened but I felt lightheaded and my strength drained rapidly. I stopped for a toilet break, fuel break and took a walk all on the same lap. Looking back this was my slowest mile of 14:28, I fell back into 4th place.  I never got near Nathan again and was lapped by him many times over the last 4 hours.

Looking at the results, Nathan was the quickest of all the leaders late on and nearly caught 2nd place, having been 5 miles behind at one point. After he lapped me once, I forgot about a podium place and just concentrated on myself again. The ‘race’ helped for a while but it also helped to bust me.

I was struggling and glad to talk to other runners as much as possible. I still couldn’t eat much but did manage a bowl of porridge. I ran a lot with Norman (Number 80 on PMJ's photo), who had recently been awarded an MBE. Top bloke, and he seemed to know everyone. My pace had dropped to about 12 m/m while running but longer walk and more frequent toilet breaks had many 13-14 m/m laps.

Going into the last 2 hours I had 10 miles to go. So I needed 12 m/m average to the end. I’d put sun lotion on earlier in the morning but it was now close to 20 degrees and I had to stop for lots more. I took a few minutes to cover myself with Norman singing ‘Ghostbusters’ to me as I was so white.

Every lap I was dunking my hat into a barrel of water and soaking myself with a sponge. The only food I could face was nibbling dried apricots every few laps.

I was very glad when my family arrived with just over an hour to go. To see my 4 year old daughter gave me such a boost. I had been running with a little toy she had given me on Father’s day. As she was about to go to bed she handed me one of her toys and told me she loved me. I carried it for the last few hours of the race.

Entering the last hour I had less than 4 miles to go. Yes, I finally knew I was going to succeed as I could practically walk the rest of the way. With the crowd cheering I was never going to do that. I also knew when it comes to qualifying for Ireland every mile might count.  I targeted running over 140 miles as it just sounds better.

I was running with Norman and we both picked up the pace. With 30 minutes to go I ran 10:31 and then a 10:17 mile, my fastest in a long time. Norman and I thought it would be the last time we would reach the busy spectator area, and ran the cheering gauntlet with our hands joined together above are heads. The cheering was incredible. I stopped for my final hat dunking and sponging water routine, as Norman ran on. I gave it everything I had over the last lap and half way round ove took Norman who was also pushing hard. I made it back round to the cheering spectators entering the last minute. They were amazing.  I completed my 137th lap as the final countdown began. I’d run the last lap in 8:55 which was my fastest lap since lap 20!

I jogged the last 30 seconds to reach an area sheltered from the sun. The buzzer went and I nearly collapsed. I was thankful to have a wall to lean against and glad a marshal quickly brought me water. My Garmin recorded 142.96 miles but I knew this was out, having passed the 100 mile marker with my watch showing 101.2. I was given 142.5 miles on the timers website but this has now been changed to 140.5. It was interesting to note that my moving time was 23:07, so I wasted almost an hour with toilet breaks (cant be help), searching through my bag, douching with water, putting on a jacket having to pin on a number, making up a tailwind drink from powder and brief chats.

My family arrived soon arrived and we headed back to the tented area for some refreshments. Norman was over the moon with 113 miles even though he had taken over an hours sleep. He recently turned 60 and had never run further than 50k before!

I was pleased to hear that I had held onto 4th place overall, but couldn’t help be a little disappointed to just missing the podium. I spotted Nathan and went over to congratulate him. He had been running scared over the last 20 miles thinking I was going to catch him again. He hadn’t realised he was over 5 miles ahead by the finish!

He did give me the best news I could have had. He was from Scotland so not involved in the Irish National Championship. Had I just won a medal? I quickly found a race organiser and told him about Nathan and me. He confirmed Nathan would receive third overall but I would indeed receive the bronze medal as third in Ireland! I’m still in shock. I’ve dreamt of winning an age group medal, in masters team cross country, but never in my wildest dreams did I think I could achieve this.

I’m a national athletics medallist. Not an age group or team prize but all ages individual! Yippee! I was very proud to receive the medal a few hours later and being local, got the biggest cheer of all.

The aftermath wasn’t great though. I still found it very difficult to eat with my tummy in stress. Not long before the medal ceremony I had to run over to tree and throw up. It was nothing but porridge, fluid and chewed apricots. Yuk.

I could barely walk and getting into my Dads car was tough. It was pointed out to me that one of my nipples was bleeding. This was despite using medical tape over them as one had worn away. Getting out of my Dads car later was even worse than getting in.

I tried eating some bio yogurt and oats but this didn’t settle well. I tried sipping water but even it didn’t go down well. Within an hour everything was brought up again. I was a bit worried as my pee was almost brown but hoped this was more to do with beetroots tablets I had taken.

My two second toes had big blisters which needed drained and one of my big toes nails is now black. This is ok though as it now matches the other one! I went to bed before 9 having not held down anything in over 12 hours.

Thankfully this morning I managed to hold down a nut butter sandwich early on, and have since began eating normal again. Phew. My weight on Saturday morning was 154.8 lbs and this morning it was 147.8 lbs. Ultra-marathon diets work well!

I’ve learnt a lot over the last few days. Every Ultra is different and you never know how your body is going to react. I’ve never had problems eating before and in fact ate too much during the 12 hour race, which caused totally different problems. I was in difficulty longer in this race compared to the previous year. This may have been due to a lack of specific ultra-training.

I don’t believe I’ll run many more 24 hour races. If I do get the call up for Ireland then I will indeed. However I do believe that pushing to such limits, can’t be great for long term health.

Despite now have the worst DOMs that I can ever remember, I’m still in cloud nine. Ultimately, it was all worth it for how I feel now. Never give up, never give in and have faith in yourself.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Fabulous achievement. Such a long time, most events this drawn out are about survival and just finishing, but to be racing for places and medals adds extra stress and decision making. Well done that man. something to savour.

Well done too OO, that's a great haul.

Still benched, if I understood the doc correctly, damaged nerves heal by a few millimetres at a time and as I have big feet the repair will take a while to reach the toes and restore full feeling! 
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Badbark, what an incredible achievement, and brilliantly reported.

The carrying of your daughter's toy has me wiping away a tear here  . . . .    

You thoroughly deserve the utmost respect & admiration ; fantastic  stuff  . . . .   
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Badbark that's a brilliant report ,from a longest training run of "only" 33 miles then runs 140 mile with a number on , awesome inspirational stuff ! Take a couple of weeks off to recover you have certainly earned it and enjoy the glory and stay near that fone ! You are most certainly a machine .
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Badbark - Loved your report, although I need a little lie down after reading it! ;) Epic stuff altogether. You're some man for one man! Unreal, well done pal and I honestly don't know how you can do such a thing. As Birch said, lovely touch with your daughter's toy. Kids love superheroes and your daughter has one for a Dad! Defo show and tell material! Just brilliant. Oh and by the way, when I was 2hrs odd into my run yesterday I was feeling tired, I thought to myself there's a nutter in NI who has probably just passed the 130 mile mark right now, so I had a quiet word with myself. Did the job, ta!  :)
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Great report Badbark - truly mad - but great achievement. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Badbark - fabulous report to go with your fabulous achievement. I can't imagine going that long or far. I'm sure that medal will be treasured. Hope you're recovering well.
    Poacher - hope those millimetres are totting up.
    Notched up another 4 easy miles yesterday evening (yes, very unusual for me, don't know how you evening people do it!) and then 8 this morning (much more sensible after a good night's sleep).
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Badbark, you absolute nut-job! What the hell is wrong with you!!?? :D
    Total respect for you, pal. One of the great reports ever posted on here. A truly epic achievement and one you should feel immensely proud about. Well done, old son, proper pleased for you.

Actually, my own achievement this morning is right up there with Badbark's. OK, maybe not but it was a first for me. I started running at 05.10 in the morning, the actual morning!

I really don't do morning's but this heat needs to be avoided if possible. I had every intention of doing my usual Monday hill reps last night, but my car told me it was 29 degrees when I got home from work. There was no way I was bashing up and down hills in that, so I considered an easy 10 miler. No dice, didn't fancy baking sweat-fest for over on hour, so I settled on 5 miles over the woods at 7.02 pace, eating flies. And yep, it was scorchio.

So, to beat the heat I got kit ready and planned an early 10 miler this morning. woke up at 04.45 and was out the door by 05.10. Got the 10 miles done at 7.02 pace and was eating toast on the patio at 06.40. Lovely!  B)

I know the likes of Gul do this most days but for me, it's smug face at work time!  :D
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That was an excellent read, Badbark. I simply couldn't imagine anything near that!! You can dine out on that for some years to come! Fingers crossed you get that call up as well!

G-Dawg, well done on the early start. Not something I could do, though I bet it felt great afterwards.

Gul, nice evening trotting as well.

Gerard, yes Croatia look good as well, however it is always difficult to envisage a lower pedigree world cup winner from the big 5 or 6 countries that share it.

5 miles recovery for me yesterday, which given the heat and how I feel is probably going to be what many of this weeks runs look like.

My half gave my rb another boost so down to 3.2. This time last year I was at 4.4. My last boost took me into the top 10,000 on rb rankings (sounds really crap!) and I am hoping this one tips me into the top 1000 of my age group.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Wow, Badbark, just wow.  Amazing achievement and fantastic report.  I hope you have the stomach for pie and chips soon, followed by with cake covered in cream, all washed down with full fat coke, so that you can get some calories inside you!  Rest well, and cherish that well-deserved national medal.  Closest I've come was team medals for British and English champions at London in 2015, and although I think many of my medals will get binned, those are special, and so is yours.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Great report Badbark and an amazing achievement. What a great role model you are for your daughter.

G Dawg I can't imagine running at that time in the morning, well done!

5 easy miles last night, wore my HR strap rather than using the wrist based one on the watch which seemed to give a more accurate reading. HR starting to come back to normal levels which is good. 10 planned for tonight with a mate. Starting to enjoy this running in the sun!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    nice early work, G-Dawg - not set out at that time since my working days ceased :)  

keep nudging the RB ranking DT - going in right direction  . . .

got out (4 hours after G-Dawg) for 10.5 , in the form of 3.75 up to my predominantly rural road loop of 5K - 4 x 1K around this, then the 3.75 back, with a few strideouts in the last mile or so.  Warm, obviously, but the loop is quite high up, and there was a light breeze up there, so didn't feel too bad.  

speaking of medals - I'm not generally a keeper of these (other than the odd age-group ones I've picked up) . I had kept marathon ones, but when I moved a few years back, I ditched these also.  However, as London 2015 was my final marathon, I kept that one. It was also significant in that I ran very well (3:18 at age 60, which had me quite high in the age rankings) (parkruns now slower pace than that (!)  )   but most importantly, my son & daughter were there to support me - the first time in my 13 Londons - so it holds a special memory for me. I'd like to give them each a medal to commemorate this. Which brings me to a polite request - if anyone on here has a London 2015 medal which they could release, then could you consider a home for it in South Yorks?  Naturally, a donation to a charity of your choice would follow. 

Said son & daughter running in  this  tonight, so I'll be giving a bit of support to them.

Thanks.   
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

G-Dawg - It's certainly the only time of the year I would even begin to contemplate a run that early. Well done for doing it!

Stevie - Enjoy your 10 miler, I might try do something similar later if I have time.

DT - Yes, I know what you mean but think of Greece in 2004, although Croatia play a much more attractive style of football. It's very open and will start getting serious in the KO stages. Uruguay are tidy too.

Just doing  short runs so far this week as I'm flat out in work. 2.5 miles yesterday at 8:55mm then 2 miles today avg 6:18mm, the legs felt surprisingly good after Sunday's 1st proper long run but it was horribly windy, felt like a hard effort. Absolutely Scorchio here too but that blooming wind is a pain . Hoping to get out for another run later.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Birch: I'm afraid that as VLM 2015 is my pb marathon, I do want to keep the medal for sentimental reasons.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Birch, I didn't run 2015 so don't have one, however there is currently 1 on ebay on buy it now for £10.85, which doesn't seem a great outlay to tick this off for you.

Gerard, Greece played a very dull brand of football that was effective against the best of teams. Croatia will be taking on the big guns on a like for like basis and are likely to come unstuck with it. The euros have a history of surprise packages. Denmark in 92 being a big example. Even Portugal in 2016, who if you set aside Ronaldo are a team of mid level internationals, were a slight surprise especially as they were woeful in the group stages.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    DT19 - many thanks for that "heads up" - item purchased !  :)    

Jools- rightly so - should have kept my PB medal !!    :)  
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    I was going to offer a 2015 medal but too late...lovely idea by Birch to show that family is what made the day special

i have kept every medal with the aim of framing the most meaningful 5 or 6 on retirement. Some are no brainers but the final selection will be tough. What are threadsters’ most treasured medals and why?
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Only 14 marathon medals and a host of others. Most treasured is Boston from last year. Good quality design piece of metal and a great ribbon, just what you want from a major. However, the race itself is the most important. Amazing event, no PB due to the heat but I learned loads that day and came out the end of it a more seasoned athlete.

Second is Berlin 2016 where I did my current PB.

Then all 5 London ones, especially '93, debut marathon and the last finish on Westminster Bridge. Then '94 and the first finish on The Mall.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Birch - That's lovely, family is so important. 

Stevie - Cheers for the heads up on the Boston Boosts on Runners need. Never used them before but ordered a nice pair today for £54 (VAT free). Bargain and that's me sorted for my marathon campaign! 

I'm not particularly attached to my medal collection but if I had to chose one it would be London from 2013, as it was my first one. 

5.5 miles tonight in the howling wind but it was really warm. Started off at a snails pace as I could feel today's earlier run in my legs but managed to get a move on after a mile or so and recorded a few 6:50's which felt steady but not hard. I think I'll have a rest day tomorrow and just hit the beach after work, make a fire, have a swim with my son and cook some nice food. I'll allow myself a couple of lite beers and catch the sunset. Gotta make the most of the hot weather, especially the very warm evenings. 
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Mine are definitely my VLM medal and my Dragon Ride Gran Fondo medal .My two toughest sporting achievements!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Poacher - thanks for the thought .   Medals - don't you have a Bill Rowan from a certain race in South Africa?  not easily gained  . . .
     As for me, "treasured" is too strong a word, but I like my 2 medals for being VoGit County XC champ - one for the standalone race, one for the series -  they reside safely in my sock drawer  
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    OK, this is almost habit forming. Out by 05.30 this morning for 6 miles of alternate work. Three miles at 7.0x and three miles at 6.3x pace. Averaged 6.49.

Will do a 3 mile recovery tonight to do a very rare double day.

The good thing about these early starts is that I seem to be naturally waking up around 5.00am. Rather than wrap the duvet around for an extra 90 mins, I'm just getting up. Defo won't last into a winter campaign.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

No problem Gerard I was just going to order a pair but thought I should try them first so going in on Tuesday. Good miles in the wind.

Good effort G-Dawg! I woke up at 5.30 but not sure I could drag myself out for a run!

10.5 last night with a mate, first mile was 8.20 and last was 7.30 so pleased with the progression. I feel I'm getting used to the heat, enjoying it now! Had a precision hydration drink before I went out which I think helps

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - well done on the early session - bizarre that it should be when I've done a couple of evening sessions! Really struggling running at night. Legs feel so lethargic and easy pace is killing me.
    DT19 - no, that's a good ranking!
    Birch / Poacher - no really special medals for me - at least not yet. The one I will treasure will be for my sub 3:15 at London one day. (Sock drawer is the correct place, Birch!)
    GM - enjoy the rest day and chilling out at the beach this evening.
    Stevie - nice progressive run.
    4 miles again yesterday evening. Pleased to get home without passing out. Felt awful. Fine again this morning, 11 miles (2M w/u, 2 x 200m/600m, 2 x 300m/500m, 2 x 400m/400m, 2 x 500m/300m, 2 x 600m/200m, 2 x 700m/100m, 1 x 600m/200m, 1 x 500m/300m, 1 x 400m/400m, 1 x 300m/500m, 1 x 200m/600m, 800m w/d). Mile splits 8:51, 8:16 (warm-up), then 7:31, 7:18, 7:03, 6:34, 6:26, 6:13, 6:37, 6:59, 7:34.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I have done a few morning runs recently, by that I mean 8am and the good thing I find is that it lends itself to more miles in the evening. I could barely move this morning at 7.30 let alone run! This heat is killing my sleep.

Birch, glad you bagged it. I often keep an eye on ebay for London stuff. Last year a guy was selling a full set of 2006 London souvenir stuff so for £11 I got a vest, racing shorts, training shorts, light fleece and a shower jacket, all adidas. I also picked up an adidas marshalls jacket from last year for £4.

In terms of medals, i used to have 3 county ones for team gold x 1 and bronze x2 in the county half champs but my wife somehow binned them when we were decorating, something i've not forgiven her for and still feel disappointed about no longer having!

I am left with a paperweight/trophy from a 10k last October for the v40 prize. Essentially medals I've won are my priority. My other medals all lived in a drawer then last year my wife bought me a medal hanger. I only put on that quite bespoke medals generally from halfs. The tin pot crap medals you get at local 10ks just go in the bin. My marathon medals are my important ones now. After my first London my wife had it framed with a photo and my time. At that point it was a one off. I followed that up for my next two London's in a display with my number and timing chip. The problem is, with 2 other marathons since and 2 more planned, I simply don't have the wall space to keep doing it. I think I just need to save them all up and decide in a few years what I do with them. I cant see me voluntarily stopping now as I am at the point where I can switch to mara training without it being a big leap.

5 miles easy last night. Will keep that theme this week and start my schedule for Yorkshire next week. Gives me 15 weeks of the 16, albeit I will lose a week to an extent whilst on holiday. Though last year I did some really good training whilst away.