Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Stevie - I have to go up a half size for the Boston Boots. I've had the last 4 versions and find they've improved each time unlike some others, best shoes ever for me. I ran Amsterdam last year with a pair I bought virtually out of the box.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Thanks GM I'll keep that in mind.

DT - How hilly is droitwich 10k? Im struggling to find races I can fit in over the next few months and that looks like it could maybe work for me.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    that's my trace last year. it is pretty undulating but to offset that is 7.30 start and decent standard field so plenty of company at the 37-40 minute level. 
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Medals hang on a daybed in the spare room. They jangle noisily if a fidgety sleeper comes to stay.

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Thanks DT, I start coaching on Monday so will see what he thinks. Otherwise I'll just have to wait until Stratford 10k in September
  • https://nirunning.co.uk/aidan-hogan-and-samantha-amend-secure-top-honours-as-nis-louise-smart-claims-national-title/

As Nathan was ineligible for the Irish Championship, the bronze medal went to Bangor’s Mark Walker, 48, who has been knocking at the door in recent times and was also in personal best form after covering in excess of 226k.  Australian Barry Loveday,40, from Queensland was the long time leader, but dropped out after 14 hours.

badbark, is "knocking at the door" running slang for tummy ache?
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    DNF after 14 hrs. Tough. Hope he has people telling positive things.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Poacher I think that haul is about as massive as it gets! I just keep Marathons and special races like my silvers from the classic Morpeth to Newcastle.
    BB as said that was a great report, enjoyable and quite a remarkable achievement. Do take some recovery.
    I had my Paris leaving do it his week so limited running here.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

You'll need a bigger bed soon Poacher!

I'm quite fond of my Brighton 2018 marathon medal but the Abingdon 2010 medal (PB) is also special.  Still hoping to add to the collection!

Good morning session Gul - hope you're feeling OK.

Good to hear you're enjoying those early starts G-D.  It makes sense but I would struggle to get out at those times.

Weedon 10K yesterday.  A hilly course, with a moderate climb in the initial kilometre, a big hill at 3.7k and another steep but shorter hill at 7.5K.  Warmish conditions but with a light wind and some shade on sections of the course, the temperature didn't seem a problem.  My pacing strategy was to take it easy in the first 3K, push up the big hill, maintain the pace over the next 3k, attack the final climb and then push hard over the last 2K.  The sole aim being to beat Bedford Man who duly made an appearance at the start line only to shoot off like a mad man at the sound of the horn. Sadly, that was the last I saw of him as he finished almost a minute ahead of me.  Not sure what he's been drinking this last week but I'd quite like some!  Finish time of 41:54 and second V55.  I thought I paced it pretty good, was overtaking runners after the initial kilometre and felt strong on the climbs and the final downhill kilometres but, in hindsight, I may have taken it a little easy in the first three kilometres. Just need to refocus for the next race in the series - Harborough 5 miles - next Tuesday.  Alternatively, I could call it day with the racing and get back to some marathon training  as the New York schedule starts next Monday!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nice one sbd I will have to look up my weed on result from 10 years ago. Think I had a stinker
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Weedon June 05 SBD. It was a 10k then also, and I ran 40:07. My notes say it was hilly and I felt sluggish. I was also annoyed to get beaten by one of my local rivals (maybe it was Bedford man!).

Out early for a 6 miler this morning and will do another 5 later. Catching up after a very poor week full of bear and good food in Paris. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher - impressive display.
    OO - piled on a few more pounds perhaps?
    SBD - good effort. Bedford Man will now be lulled into a false sense of security ahead of next week's clash. Didn't bother with an evening run last night, so feeling fine, thanks.
    10 steady miles this morning, avg pace 7:56 m/m.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

sbd- I always question myself when I am overtaking people from the middle point of a race, as was the case in London and on sunday. Have I gone off to slow, or have they gone off to fast?? Well done on 2nd place though.

Nice 10 Gul. I went out on my lunchbreak yesterday and did an easy 10. It became quite hard work in the last 2 as the heat took a grip on me and I had no drink to help. I keep telling myself that the warm weather is a training enhancement if you can tolerate and run through it.

Sounds like a pleasant week, OO.

Dropping out at 14 hours must have been rough. Do I recall there was a 12 hour race at the same time, which he probably could have won.

Followed my lunchtime 10 up with a spin class last night. Planning to get a run in straight after work. was hoping to do a form of session, perhaps 4 miles at mp just to get the legs moving a bit.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    SBD - Well run, that sounded like a tough course. Keep at it, you're running well. No reason why you can't continue to race while marathon training. I'm hoping to aim for a half and 10k in September. My mara is early Oct and I'm hoping that I'll be much stronger having built some good endurance over the next few months. 

Poacher - Loving the bling day bed! 

Gul - Must be nearly time to parkrun again?

DT - Hope your mp went to plan?

OO - Enjoy your time saying goodbyes etc, you'll have plenty of time to do what you want soon. 

I got roped into doing a corporate cup 5k on lunch. I've avoided this kinda thing for the past few years as I find it hard to get myself up for a hard 5k on lunch with work etc. Took one for the team and jogged to the start. Over 300 runners lined up, very hot and ridiculously windy. We have been experiencing a strong North easterly wind for about a week now and today it was about 20mph.  Gun goes and my plan to take it easy went out the window but after 1k I knew it wasn't going to be fast. Gave it a hard effort but held back a bit as I didn't fancy dying in the last few k. Ran fairly even splits for 18:59 but it was a bit short, 4.96k on my watch. HR average was about 12 bpm lower than my usual 5k race pace, so I think I gave an honest account if not eye balls out. Easy run planned tomorrow in the heat and maybe a sea swim to cool off afterwards. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Cracking 5 k in wind Gerard. I like running on a school day!

double day here and all feeling good 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT19 - 10 easy miles in a lunch break is very impressive!
    GM - well done on the win putting in just enough effort - nicely judged. Hoping to do parkrun a week on Saturday. Off to Durham and York this weekend - University Open Days with Miss GD the younger.
    OO - pleased to hear the farewell do hasn't left you feeling lethargic.
    Overslept this morning, so just did a 4 mile progressive - 8:27, 7:12, 6:43, 5:50. Last run of the month giving me a total of 252, which is nearly a 100 down on last month, but I did have 8 rest days  (or will have after tomorrow). Have a good weekend everyone.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Apologies for radio silence. Too much going on on all fronts to explain but, personally, have ended up here (see pic). I’m back home now for the start of a long recovery period. It seems my left ankle has trumped my right ankle in terms of severity of injury but am grateful for a second chance. Will read back now. 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    SBD Bedford man has come back strong ,maybe he reads this thread too !
    Poacher what a haul of tin you have there .
    Gerard sub 19 and not flat out a nice place to be .
    Gul a casual 5:50 last mile is cracking pace anytime.
    MSE You plastered again !!!!!!!!!!! sorry to hear that and I hope you can get off the bench again without too long a stay, you are due a run of good luck soon (pun intended lol ) You can come back from this ...
    Race report:

Jude Gallagher round the bridges 10m run last night and it was HOT ..26c at the start at 7:30 pm !!!! Its was the hottest day here in decades touching 30c .Perfect for racing ...not ...
    Anyway my biggest concern after my last 5 miler was would I have any nips left after 10m in my new cheese gratter club vest as the blood was running down my top last race but a more upright stance reduced the carnage to mild chaffing and both survived intact, a win if ever there was one lol   
    After a very crowded start starting moving though the field as I was very far back with a 7:27 first mile which felt fine .After 2 miles I caught the 75 min pacer who was running about 7:15 pace but said he was easing off a bit soon.
        3 miles or so they all pulled in for water and I pushed on a bit as some areas were more shaded and the first half had more downhill in it ,a 7:19 , 7:05 and 7:03 followed but after mile 5 there was more uphill and as we changed direction and the air was totally still for a bit and the heat started to build and my face felt like it was on fire . I increased my water intake but the pace started to fall off as the heat and lack on long runs took its tool .
          Passed a guy who was walking who a couple mins later came flying past again , his 3rd walking stint by 5 miles apparently and he had a few more after that all the way in............Mile 6,7,8 were 7:07,7:15, then 7:27 as there were more short uphills on weary legs, at mile 8 a guy with an Ironman cap flew past and disappeared into the distance, no catching him anyway . The last 2 miles were a suffer fest to stop the rot and came in a 7:25 and 7:27 with 2 passing me at about 9.5 mile where I stepped it up as others were right on my heels and I decided anybody else trying to come past would be earning their place as I pushed as much as I could then a small sprint at the end and were were done ! 
        The sweat was absolutely raining off me and it looked like id fallen in the river . 74.15 by my watch and pleased enough as I did think about 75 was my limit this year. I had hoped to run a 90 min half in early September but I think that's looking a bit ambitious now ....

Official result just in 74:10 and 85th/424.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good effort Lesley in those roasting conditions. Don't give up on your sub 90 ambitions just yet!

I had a bad feeling something was happening MSE- haven't seen the volume of activity on Strava and guessed something was up. So sorry to hear this. Assuming the plaster is post-Op I hope that it went well and the rehab will start soon- I'm sure you know the drill and will give it your best to get your fitness back.

Steady run here, mist at the coast so not as hot as the rest of the country.  

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    SBD - nice age-group podium - good luck with the NY(C)ampaign  . . .   

Gerard - good effort there, in "double whammy" conditions of heat and wind !!  

Leslie -  same for you - you're where you hoped to be - and in 26C that can't be bad !  
    btw, don't they sell sticking plaster in NI ?  ;)   

Gul - fine month - still nearly 11.5 miles per running day . . .  

MsE  -  :(     nice nail paint, though  ;):)    seriously - I hope your recovery progresses as quickly (and well) as it can . . . .    

Poacher - good luck to Poachette - will you be there?    

easy 6 & 4 for me last couple of days - only 2 days to my PW 10K  . . . .    
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks to all the kind words everyone about my race report. I took 3 days off and have managed a very slow 5k yesterday and 6 miler today. I've the Berlin Marathon in 11 weeks so can't take too much time off. I'll take it easy this week and next before ramping it up again. I've just heard a positive mention on Marathon Talk in Rate your Run. It's about 26 minutes in. Chuffed :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice 5k, Gerard. It's tough to run at that effort level when conditions aren't perfect.

Badbark, do you think you'll have time to get the miles in with only 11 weeks to Berlin?  :-)

Well done, Leslie. It really wasn't a racing day yesterday!!

Sorry to see that pic, MSE. Hope the path to recovery is too long!

Nice progressive 4, Gul and a great monthly total, even if compared to last month it was well down. It says more about last months efforts than there being an issue this month.

My mp run yesterday was what it was. I would say it was possibly the hottest temps I can recall running in. I did 4 miles at 6.53 for 157 hr. A good 15 seconds a mile down on where I should be in the right conditions, though I must factor in I raced hard on sunday as well.

5 Miles easy first thing this morning, then 5k at recovery over lunch. That gives me 165 for June which matches last June and December, being the respective months before I've commenced mara training. It's the local beer festival all this weekend so that's my running done for June as i'll be drinking there tonight and much of tomorrow.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    MsE - Awful news re your ankle. I hope you're ok otherwise. We've missed you! 

Birch - What's the forecast like for your race?

Leslie - Unreal conditions for your 10 miler but it sounds like you nailed it. Well done and you'll be in much better shape come September so don't write a fast time yet. Highly unlikely that you'll have to contend with such extreme heat again. 

Gul - That's a really good run! Enjoy your Uni visits and I'm expecting a very good parkrun from you soon. No pressure. :wink:

Badbark - I'm really envious you are doing Berlin. It's without a doubt the fastest major course and I can't wait to see how you do. 

OO - It sounds like you are getting some nice runs in after your mini break while you were away. Good luck for your local parkrun tomorrow. I should try get over there sometime and see what the craic is. :smile:

DT - What's your gauge of average HR for MP? I'm trying to figure out what mine is. Haven't been using or training by HR data for long but I do think I should be keeping an eye on it. What do you usually average across the distances? Thanks and re the corporate cup 5k I did. It's a terrible course. 6 dead turns and the last one is a 270 deg. turn and you run up on top of the harbour wall for the last 400m or so and when the wind blows it's like sailing into a strong wind with your sail up. I won't do many more of them but I'm usually out running on lunch along the sea front and if the team is stuck then it's difficult to say no.

2 miles here today, very easy pace around 8:50's, avg 128 HR and met up with a pal who has been out of the game for 7 months with a bad back. Poor lad is a very good runner but has awful bad luck with injuries. Not much running on the cards here this weekend what with son's footie training tomorrow and then a match on Sunday but I will get to watch the big triathlon event on Sunday late morning. Quite a few friends are in it and with a chance of some bling, it's a great event and I love watching it every year.  

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    0054 shame your missing out on the heat .
    Birch plasters yes but they never stay on for long , pw my ar*e you nail that 10k !
    Badbark getting famous now ,you should be in crackin' shape for Berlin if you can keep it all together a few more weeks,2 weeks easy sounds about right.
    DT enjoy the beers .
    Gerard your right its been 23 years since the last "summer" here , I still remember it and the  first hosepipe ban in 23 years started yesterday too lol 

10m with a pal this morn at 8am the last 2 miles was a severe drag as Id run out of gas ,had to  let my left arm down by my side after 7 miles due to cramps as it was too much effort to hold it up . 10m @ 9m/mile average. 23c at the end.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gerard, I tend to aim for 160 bpm. I race at around 175 so threshold is high 160s to 170 ish. recovery is under 140 and then easy is anything between 140-160. Not an exact science but  bit it feels about right. 

Well done on the 10 Leslie. 

I did spin this morning but not very well after last night!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes they well impressed with your run on Marathon Talk BB- must have been a good minute of chat about it.

Still not that warm here Leslie. Ran an average time at local parkrun of 18:38. Was disappointed at the way I felt, it was nowhere near the lightening form of recent weeks. After an indulgent week I packed in 18 miles the last 2 days which may have taken away some sharpness. My wife by contrast got a massive 30+ secs PB (28:17) so bragging rights with her today.    

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Gerard - sounds like a chilled weekend in prospect - have fun !  Temp forecast is 21C at the 10am start time.  

DT - seems like the beer festival started well ;)  

OO - that's still a good effort - and congrats to Mrs OO 

Leslie - good 10 - unsurprising you flagged at the end - only a couple of days since you raced 10 !   PW is definite, btw - over the years I've become fairly good at knowing where I am, and I know for sure I'm in PW shape  . . .     still, I'll give it my best, then the intention is to stop messing about, and try to at least arrest the decline ready for the Autumn.   
    3.5 miles jog today.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

DT19 – Good MP session in hot conditions. Enjoy the beer festival!

GM – Enjoy the triathlon spectating. It’s great weather to be watching others!

Leslie – That sounds like a tough 10 miler

OO – I wish I could run a 18:38 and think it was average. Your 18 miles in two days would have definitely affected it. Congrats to the Missus!

Birch – Good luck for the 10k. Stay positive, suck it up and smash it.

I ran 9 miles this morning including a 20:42 moderate effort Parkrun. I say moderate effort, but I don’t think I could have managed much more, with my legs feeling like lead. I’ve no idea why. ;)

It’s half way through the year and I’ve 1778 miles completed so far. So with some high mileage planned before Berlin, I might break last year’s PB of 3615 annual total miles.

Tonight I’m eating and drinking lots! :D:)

• OK folks - finally back on here. It's taken me this long as I was working my way through Madbark's awesome account - simply a phenomenal achievement and that medal is so fully deserved. Hope you're starting to recover but don't rush headlong into the Berlin training and don't forget to savour the events of last weekend. Haven't got around to listening to that episode of MT but will pay extra attention.

Good to see G-Dawg getting up early - I was on a course in Woking earlier this week so should have let you know and we could have headed out before brekkie.

GM - I bet you're so glad you can run then throw yourself in the sea straight after. Enjoy the tri spectating.

Nice going Leslie - tough race by the sounds of it so kudos for getting out again the following morning.

MsE - it sounds as though you're a bit more positive than last time about being able to get back running some time. How long is the recovery period likely to be?

People have been asking about Hokas - I wouldn't say I was a big fan but I've had three different models. The Huakas were so-so; comfortable but a bit clumpy and had a few annoying little things about them. I very much liked my Cliftons and while they feel too bulky to race on the road in, they are exceptionally comfortable and are still going strong after nearly 900 miles whereas most of my shoes start to show signs of wear and tear after 500 or so. I've done a couple of trail marathons (e.g. Beachy Head) and Ultras in them and they were perfect for the job. I came across a pair of comfortable feeling Hoka trail shoes at the Marathon Expo but couldn't bring myself to pay the £110 (discounted price) that they were asking so I ended up getting a pair of Speed Instincts on line for about half the price and they're also pretty good, especially where you're doing a mix of running on trail and harder surfaces. I wouldn't be that confident of them in very muddy conditions and will probably get myself another pair of Saucony Peregrines for the winter.

Loving Poacher's medal collection - presumably they're all arranged in chronological order?!

I've had to be selective about the medals that I hang up in my study: there are mainly ones from Ultras and the more challenging races / rides up there, plus my one County medal from a bronze in the Vets team XC a couple of years ago. Medals from first marathon (London 2006), PB marathon (London 2016) and the Bill Rowan from Comrades are all on the Lorenzo clan Wall of Fame in frames, together with pictures from the day.