P&D Autumn Marathon 2018

Comments

• Frankfurt Marathon - 28th October 2018
    • RunSpoonRun - 14 week P&D/NAZ/BAC hybrid - goal 2:40
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Abingdon Marathon - 21st October 2018
    • Sorequads - 13 week P&D/BAC - goal sub 2:50 (need to actually get a race place)
    Snowdonia Marathon - 27th October 2018
    • Sorequads - P&D/BAC - goal sub 3, depending on Abingdon

Frankfurt Marathon - 28th October 2018

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Another punchy spoons goal - but you always seem to stretch to them. Perhaps these massive leaps then explain the fatigue after?
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Running on an actual track this morning for a change. 12 x 300 (56 - 60) with 100 walk, 100 jog recoveries. Then 4 x 100 (16.9 - 17.5). Cut knee felt fine, so happy to get this session in so soon post accident. Haven't looked at stitches yet, hoping they are still in. So much more difficult to push hard when flying solo at the track.
  • Great session SQ, although using a real track is cheating :p I’m annoyed I forgot the strides. 

Don’t want to be accused of sandbagging! 2:40 is very much a dream goal, like with my previous sub-80 and sub-2:45 goals. Those worked out quite well despite feeling next to impossible when I set them! But we’ll see, I know my improvements have to start slowing at some point. I will assess whether it’s realistic closer to the time...
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    • Sorequads - 13 week P&D/BAC - goal sub 2:50 (need to actually get a race place)
    • Jooligan - no training schedule & no target (as yet)

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Admirable goal Spoons, you'll get no sandbagging accusation with that.

Sadly a marathon won't fit into my season as I have the European Middle distance triathlon champs in Ibiza at the end of October. I will be targeting a sub 75 half marathon in September though, That will be my tenuous link to sticking around here.

On the track reps, I am not sure I can do 300s. I find I have to stick to increments that are raced at for some reason.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Berlin Marathon - 16th September 2018
    • HazelnutCH - 12 week P&D - A goal PB (sub 3:34), B goal sub 3:30

Gulp - first one on the list at the moment. Training started this week already though already had to tweek it to make way for running group BBQ yesterday so 8 miles GA became only a bit less than 5 recovery.  The BBQ was worth it though.

Glad to hear your knee is ok SQ and a nice little session by you and spoons.
  • Berlin Marathon - 16th September 2018

Valencia Marathon - 2nd December 2018
    • JB-BR - No plan or target time. Just enjoy a weekend away after a hard year of racing.
  • Love a new thread. Certainly not sandbagging Spoons. I think Reg can have that title so far. Sub 75 should be a shoe in with the speed you're running 5k/10k at currently. 
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Nice to see the new thread up-thought it was imminent!

Some nice early targets already posted. Spoons and Reg both realistic, achievable and justified on recent results.

No Autumn marathon for me but I have several races pencilled in for September/October with the main goal an attempt at sub 73 at Cardiff Half so will be sticking around.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff Spoon. That's what we like to see, no messing about.

I'm pretty sure I'll run something but not sure what yet. Still super keen on getting over to Valencia with Joe but am thinking of Chester as a back up plan, even though it's much earlier.  

Starting a new job on Monday and will have to work out how best to fit in running so I'm not sure how much training I'll be able to do. I'll see how it comes along and think about setting a target a bit later.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    U15 girls run 300m races, Reg. ridiculous they are not allowed to run 400m really. 

Some good targets. Get the halves on the list as well if they are the main running focus. Keeps you honest!
  • NorthEnderNorthEnder ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hi all.  Not decided if I'll do a marathon this autumn. Training is not going to be easy in the coming months.

Just a brief update from me...  headlines from the Pen Llyn Ultra on a hot tough day.. 76 miles and somewhere between 8 and 9 thousand feet of climb.    Another unbelievably friendly small race in stunning scenery... well worth a look (50 and 100m options also available)

Number 1...  not good to get the news part way round that your wife is in hospital with a broken leg. She deliberately would not let anyone inform me until it was too late for me to find a train home, and anyway insisted I continue.   
    Number 2... Miles 0-20 were very good.  20-50  involved some bad patches but didn't lose too much time.  Miles 51-76 were, relatively speaking, fantastic! The end was in sight and I believed I had it in me to finish and I was looking to push on to get sub 22hrs.  56-60 is pretty brutal but I felt strong and at the top, it's a change to road shoes, on with the blister treatment and push push push to ultimately finish at 2:41am (in 21hrs 41) and 25th place out of 61 starters (I think it was 39 finishers.)..  so really really happy with that.

15 minutes later, I felt unwell and a bit later, I was in an ambulance.  Was ok after a bag or two of saline.   Not sure if I'll contribute as much to this thread, but maybe... and will certainly keep tabs on it.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Congratulations NE. Hope your wife makes a speedy recovery. How's yours going?
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Congratulations NE. Sounds like you really enjoyed that, despite the saline necessary at the end. Hope your wife recovers well.

Trained with my running club for the first time in over a year last night - making yesterday a sneaky double. 6 glorious miles up on the hill at a very relaxed pace. Definitely feel far more acclimatised to the heat now. Nice to run in a group for a change.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Spoons: great target and certainly no sandbagging

Joe: your training has been immense - I really hope you smash it big time!!

NE: fantastic job on the ultra - really impressive given the news you got about your wife and you were really pushing to the limit given the need for saline at the end. Brilliant!

No autumn marathon for me as we have our 2nd child due on 22nd September :)

So I'll not be doing much running back end of the year or early 2019 but hopefully I can get this 100 miler done in August and then I'll have some proper time off to plan what I'd like to do in 2019.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    NE - Congrats on a great race. Hope you and the wife recover well.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Berlin Marathon - 16th September 2018

New York Marathon - 4th November 2018
    • 1SteveMac - 18 week P&D - goal PB (sub 3:10) - will revise closer to time.

Valencia Marathon - 2nd December 2018
    • JB-BR - No plan or target time. Just enjoy a weekend away after a hard year of racing.

• HA - do Valencia, you know it makes sense..

NE - congrats on the race, but really hope your wife has a swift recovery. Definitely stick around, don't be a stranger  ;)  

AWC - thanks very much, counting down the days now. Great news about the second child - congrats. Will be nice to get the 100 done and then have a bit of family time I'm sure. 

Last big track session on the plan for me this morning. 5 miles alternating ironman marathon and 10k pace, 90s recovery and then another 4 miles of the same.

5 miles - 6:40/5:38/6:39/5:36/6:40. 
    4 miles - 5:36/6:39/5:35/6:40.

Pretty happy with that. Ironman pace felt quite comfortable, the fast stuff felt very hard (!), and going straight back into IM pace the first 400m or so was pretty tough but then started to relax. 

Just got 'taper' track next week now (14x800). Big weekend on the horizon, then we're nearly there.. 
    Nice to see familiar names on the new thread.

Good luck with your new job HA.

Well done on your ultra NE.  Bad news on your wife's leg.  Hope it is not a bad break and she will recover soon.

Take good care of yourself in the last few days Joe.

8.5 GA with 11 strides instead of 10 (still can't count).  Went out pre breakfast to avoid the heat and the worst of the wind.  I'm not usually a morning runner but I enjoyed it for once.  So much so that I was happily trotting along at around half a minute a mile faster than I should have been for GA pace - oops.  Really must learn some pace discipline on the slower runs.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Sounds positive Hazel.

That's a big session, Joe and a tasty Ironman pace. 

Sorry to hear about your wife's leg NE. I did a 150 mile bike ride last year and found out at the 75 mile point that my wife had been taken to hospital after have a dizzy spell etc. Takes a bit of mind games to keep going when you have more important things to think about.

SQ, girls are sissys so they can only manage 300m. I do remember doing the 300m in the Newbury district championships in about 1985, I thought it was a long way so started slow and then realised I'd almost finished.

First proper race this weekend, half-Ironman, not at all prepared but I am looking forward to having a fun race and hopefully surprising myself. Also taking the family with me and camping so that will be interesting. Tent arrived yesterday and it's bloody massive so I think we're doing the 3 hour drive in two cars!

I am half tempted by Valencia.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Oh and how did you enjoy the ODIs HA?  :D:D
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    I didn't see any of them and didn't check the news while on holidays so I could almost pretend it didn't happen.
  • HA77HA77 ✭✭✭
    Nice work NE. Looks like a great race that one. Hope your wife gets better soon.

Good run Hazel

New York should be good Steve. 

Went out and did my standard 8x 400m with 200m float yesterday. Really struggled and was about 10s off what I was doing a year ago for the 400s. Hopefully it'll pick up.
  • Hazel - if it feels ok and not like you're over-reaching I don't think there's much wrong with that. Do you measure GA pace by heart rate?

Reg - I think that pace is quite punchy. If everything falls into place, I fully believe I can run a sub 3, but will have to get it right on the day. Think I'm going to need to if I'm going to be in the mix. Which half you doing this weekend? Get involved on the Valencia bus.

HA - to be expected, you've got to start somewhere, it'll come back in no time. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I'm doing Holkham, Joe. Supposed to have a few lumps in it with a fairly tough run so will be a good training race. Originally it was going to be a target race but I never really got round to doing a training plan. I suspect next year will be a bigger year for me and a possible tilt at Kona and getting a coach etc.

Valencia would be great but might be a hard sell to the wife.

I'm sure you'll be back to your best before too long HA. This heat won't help.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

Congratulations on the forthcoming new arrival, AWC. Get the racing in beforehand!

Hell of a workout, Joe. Sub 3 in an ironman would surely put you exceptionally high up the field. Love how a taper session is 14 x 800.

Hazel as long as the effort felt right, just go with it. It’s normally the other way round!

Good luck with the half, Reg. Sure you’ll surprise yourself. Sounds like you’re fired up for the long term.

Sure time for some hills and progression, HA. You’ll be back doing huge double days again in no time, I’m sure.

Easy 7M yesterday afternoon for me. Intended to do 10 x 150m fast reps this morning, but feeling absolutely knackered. Just a general 5ish miles instead. Quiet weekend, before Frampton 10k on Monday evening. Going to be hot!

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Just thought, had usual 6 month blood tests yesterday. They take 4 vials. Not sure this is enough blood to actually make a difference, but could have contributed to tiredness. Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?