The Middle Ground

Comments

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well, I managed 4 miles non-stop and pain free tonight at about 8:10 pace (which is faster than easy, but not quite mara pace) - hopefully not just a blip, and a sign of better things to come.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Dr.Dan said:
    Take it easy Andrew.

Nice going JGav ... and no peds taken out too.

Just bike commuting here ... still feeling Sunday.
    So hard to avoid, tourists seem to want to get run into.  They move in random directions and then spin round, arm out holding their sodding phone for a selfie.  #pethate

It the downside of being able to run in an amazing location.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done, Andrew.

Following sundays race I did 5 mile recovery and spin on Monday then Tuesday I did 8 miles easy over lunch then 5k recovery in evening. Following that I thought it might be a good idea to race a 5 miler last night, largely because it's my softest pb.

Didn't go very well. I simply couldn't hit higher effort levels (my average hr was 168 so way below a racing hr) and came in 31.22 on watch (pb is 31.10). My garmin said there was around 260  feet of elevation which divided by 5 is reasonably hilly. Nevermind, it'll have been a good work out.

I then did a 5 mile recovery before work today.

Due to work and social commitments and the world cup starting, and my body telling me so, I am having a long weekend of rest and will pick training back up on Tuesday. I have the Wilmslow half a week sunday so I am treating it as an extended taper.

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Well last night was a bit mixed - did a nice 3 mile run at 8.30 pace with no problems, then went to cricket training and promptly slipped when bowling (stupidly was wearing my running shoes, rather than cricket spikes) and now my left heel, ankle and Achilles area is all mighty tender and stiff! So no running for me today ....
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    AndrewD said:
    Well last night was a bit mixed - did a nice 3 mile run at 8.30 pace with no problems, then went to cricket training and promptly slipped when bowling (stupidly was wearing my running shoes, rather than cricket spikes) and now my left heel, ankle and Achilles area is all mighty tender and stiff! So no running for me today ....
    Exercise is bad for your health.  Safer to sit on the sofa.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

You are probably right JGav! In any event, I have spent more time on the sofa than running these past 4 weeks!

3 miles yesterday felt ok, so I will try to up the training levels again this week.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    nothing to report from me. I've stuck with rest plan. Will start again tomorrow.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Lot's of cycling and then Windsor Oly tri yesterday.  Today is a recovery day with lots of walking but nothing else.  

Total time of 2.43.xx which is reasonable for that course (43.5k bike and long transitions).  Will consider writing a full race report later today or tomorrow.  
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Well done on the Tri JGav ... controversial horse-scaring video on the bike leg has been doing the rounds ... hope those guys are found, disqualified and banned.

Sensibly resting DT.

Well done on getting back to it Andrew.

72 miles of cycling last week and then a 21:35 parkrun and 8ish mile easy run at the weekend. Bike commuted yesterday but ran in today (5 miles) as I'm out in Leeds tonight and getting the bus home. 5K race tomorrow on the Brownlee cycle circuit ... it's a running race though! Not expecting much but need to get some points on the board for our club champs given half the year is gone!
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Dr.Dan said:
    Well done on the Tri JGav ... controversial horse-scaring video on the bike leg has been doing the rounds ... hope those guys are found, disqualified and banned.
    Didn't see a horse on my bike leg (thankfully)  o:)
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Nice 5 mile recovery run yesterday.  Really wasn't feeling up for it because I've been too tired from lack of sleep but felt much better when I was out there.  1 mile swim at lunch today too.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done on the Tri, JGAV. My 8 year old son did his 1 mile swimming badge on Monday night. It took him 62 minutes which for an 8 year old is a long time focusing on any single thing other than an x box!

Nice parkrunning Dr Dan. How did the 5k go?

So yesterday I did a 5k plod. It felt like I had never run before.

Today I did 5 miles at 7.57mm for recovery hr and that felt fine.

No point doing a great deal now other than some easy miles and strides as I have a half on sunday morning. I have had nothing but bad luck so far this year with 2 cancelling for snow when I felt I was in peak shape and then when I finally get to you, a last minute route change for the 235th anniversary run leaves it 400m short. Now I am not in such peak shape I don't think but to counter that I am very well rested.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the HM DT... hopefully the wind will blow in the right direction!

Well done on getting out on no sleep JGav.

17 miles on the bike yesterday, 14 of which were before my 5K running race ... came out at 21:14 but I had a bad stitch for the first mile and then for most of the last mile too. The Brownlee cycle circuit is exactly a mile ... aside from the 37s for the first 0.107 miles, the 3 laps were 6:42, 6:57 and 6:57. I ran a HM at this pace last September, so some work to do! :-o
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    @Dr.Dan always bad comparing to a peak performance.  Seems like a decent run off the back of a bike ride.

@DT19 Always strange how some days just feels like wading through treacle and some days it's like running on air.

I got out at lunch and did 7.5 mile tempo run round St James', Green and Hyde Parks.  Absolutely beautiful out today.  7.16mm at 165bpm average.  In a race I hold closer to 175, really pleased with today's performance.
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    I managed 5 miles continuous at 9mm pace tonight with basically no pain in the knee - promising I hope.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    AndrewD said:
    I managed 5 miles continuous at 9mm pace tonight with basically no pain in the knee - promising I hope.
    Good to be back running?
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭
    Damn right! Aerobically it felt fine, but not sure the legs had much in them to go any faster at the moment. Easy does it though - I have to keep remembering that while the summer is traditionally a time for peaking and smashing out races, for me it is by base training period due to my cricket commitments and the impact that has on my ability to run!
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Did a track taster session at the London Olympic Velodrome.  Great fun!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    jgav, I did one of those in 2013 at the Manchester velodrome. It us good fun. 

Wilsmlow Half today. As is now seemingly the norm for my races it was bloody hot with a 10.30 start. The course is such that the first half gently edges downwards and the 2nd half upwards. 

I went through 10k in 38.52 feeling pretty good and half way in about 41.20 but I knew I was bloody hot and there was some climbing to come. From about 5 miles I was eating through the field and this continued until about 10 miles when I settled at my level.  A few climbs in very unsheltered area at about 9 miles laid the foundations of what was to come. Went through 10 in 63.28 so 2 seconds off my pb. Miles 12 and 13 my legs went. There was not near enough water on the course. Went from being on  for a good 30 second pb to losing it completely.  came in 84.04 missing out by 25 seconds but posting my 2nd fastest half time. 

All in all I'm relatively happy with that. I can count on one hand the amount of sessions I've done since London and I was finishing around guys who set off with the sub 80 pacer so a lot of people struggled today. It was a tough morning with a 2 hour drive there, hot weather and a difficult course with very little flat running to settle into. I think a nice cloudy 9c day id have got a pb. 
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    That's still a cracking time on a really hot day @DT19 especially as you said beforehand that you aren't in peak shape.

Yes,  the velodrome was good fun.  The TV cameras just don't show how steep that banking is and how high up you are when at the top.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Decent run, DTIt was indeed warm yesterday. Wilmslow only seems fast to me because of the quality of the field: lots of gentle undulations and those in the last couple of miles are indeed sapping. Glad I went to the cricket rather than watch at Wilmslow though! 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    jgav, it was terrifying at first and took me a few laps to work up to the top. 

Alehouse, as you say, the race isn't fast due to the profile, it's because it attracts a fast field. it was quite unusual for me outside of a big city half to have no shortage of groups to move between. looking at the results it sets out 10k and 10 mile times. even going back to 1.27 finishers there were guys going through 10k sub 38 or low 38s. All those finishing around me have significantly better times to talk of. 
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a decent outing to me DT! Well done!

21:15 at parkrun and then 10.3 miles early on Sunday. Day off yesterday as I was on the train to B'ham, but back to bike commuting today and squeezed in 5.6 miles with 3.5 @ MP this morning between the bike commute and pre-work shower. I'll gradually build up that MP distance over the coming weeks.
  • JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    Lunch run with a faster colleague, we did a route, just over 11k, I ran last week at 4.31m/km and did it in 4.24m/km (7.04mm) in the heat.  Hard work to keep on his heels in the last 1/3 but really good race practice and a solid tempo run, final km came in as the fastest at 4.14m/km or 6.48mm.

One week until my A race before some downtime, then I become a runner.  Want to see if I can do a proper build to a season finishing half.  Really tempted to enter Brighton 2018.  Was waiting to see when my baby is due and been told it's mid Jan, so should be able to be up to speed by April.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Mate ... baby in Jan ... so by April you'll be totally sleep deprived and feeling like a 65 year old. :D

Congratulations! :smile:

Same routine a Tues for me ... but the 5.6 mile run was at easy pace instead of MP.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    jgav, congrats on the baby news. I fear you are under estimating what awaits. The first 12 weeks is extremely tiring and stressful at times because being frank you've not got a clue what you're doing. Also babies are only tiny for a few months. Don't spoil that time trying to prioritise mara training. 

I did London in 2014 having had my 2nd child in July 2013. With hindsight it was a bad decision. if you are desperate to run a marathon you would be better served picking the latest one this autumn and getting the box ticked now. Abingdon in still 16 weeks away. 

10 hot miles over lunch yesterday followed by spin last night. 5k recovery lunchtime today then 4 at mp tonight. I took the edge of the pace so came in 6.53mm average. That was about the hottest weather I can recall doing a session in. 

Looking at 14 day forecast there's little let up in sight. Plenty of benefits to training in these temps if you can plough through it. 
  • AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

JGav - what they said! Many congratulations, but you will find it a struggle to function some days in the early weeks, let alone run much (well, that was what I found when we had our daughter)!

I managed 5 miles again last night. I am not managing to get out with any regularity, but at least when I do it seems to feel ok. Just want to build a bit of a base back up by the end of summer and then hit a 10k training plan in the autumn.

As you say DT, it is forecast to be at least 26c here every day for the next 10 days.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    It's baby number 3 for me, hoping it just fits into our normal routine  :#

May reconsider April and see what else is really late 2018.  Preferably after St Neots HM which is early November.  Abingdon is full and there's a waiting list.

Getting decent runs in during this heat is tough, need to get out when it's cooler.  19 mile bike this morning and it felt positively chilly.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018

B) that's slightly different, jgav. People put 3rd babies into rucksacks and all sorts.....crack on

I got out by 7.50 this morning for 5 miler. It was reasonably cool. by 10am at my sons sports day it was roasting.

• JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Spoke to Mrs Gav and she thinks that April is better than Oct.  She's doing her final GP exam in October and doesn't want me mara training then.