My Last Run

Comments

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Great run Cal. You have been getter faster and stronger throughout the year. Fine stuff as expected from Hazel.
    3.9mile incline treadmill run yesterday. Today 9.2mile in the hot sunny afternoon. Brief stop on a back road to help a van driver who'd got stung by wasps. Watch took forever to lock on a GPS, but tracking seemed more consistent.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks. After a disappointing time last year (very humid...died on my feet) and that near miss at Cabbage Patch (watch time was sub-90 but neglected to notice it was gun time so officially it was 1:30:07...grrr) I am glad to get it done. I know I could go quicker on a cooler day but there just aren't that many 10 milers.
    Well done on the hilly run, Hazel...sounds rather brutal.
    JT, your runs are so eventful!
  • Some top running going on.
    7.5 miles for me last night, at a leisurely pace. Beautiful evening and had cooled down enough for it not to be too sweaty. The grebes on the lake are pluming up nicely and I only swallowed two flies, so all in all a very enjoyable little trot. Am going to try an early morning outing tomorrow. We'll see how well I can avoid the snooze button... 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    14.9miles in 1hr56 on a hot sunny day. My watch is annoying me. I know the tracking on these things isn't pinpoint, but it's having some really flakey moments recently. There's a mile at the end of my run where my watch appeared to be attached to someone else running on different streets. It's the inconsistency that messes things up. And now my PC doesn't recognise it and not sure it's recharging. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    My PC doesn't see my Garmin on occassion - usually unplugging it and plugging it back in tends to work (eventually...might take a few tries).
    No run today but I did go for a running analysis today, which was interesting. I know I have little leg lift and my right foot flicks out, which was confirmed, but the rest of it is actually not bad at all. No overstriding, arms are better than most people's and my posture's nice and upright. So a few things to work on but I'm not quite as horrible a runner as I thought.
  • Good mileage again JT and nice run style Cal.
    I was up and running by 5:10 this morning, slightly bleary eyed in the warm mist, but soon got the legs into some semblance of action. An intriguing array of waifs and strays on the streets of Norwich at this hour. Early shift workers, intoxicated stop outs and an elderly lady with a huge Chelsea FC tat on her weathered forearm. A very squashed woodpigeon had had its feathers spread far and wide. It turns out I have a bit more pace early doors - 4 miles in 36 mins and now feel ready to take the day by the scruff of its neck. Shoes have suddenly become lifeless, about 400 miles in, so it's time to shop. Happy running, all!
    I run, therefore I am.
  • BrizoBrizo ✭✭✭
    Man i ran a 4.5 miler yesterday in the sun at lunch and it cooked me! I was supposed to do 8 but it was too hot. Ended up diving into the local river to cool off for a bit before squelching home.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Enjoy your shoe shopping, Will. I've never been a girly girl so shoe shopping has never interested me, unless it's running shoes, in which case, hell yes!
    A reasonable night's sleep last night, but didn't manage to get out for a run until after rush hour, so it was pretty warm. I just did my standard 4 miles as I was concentrating hard on my technique and ended up going a bit faster than I should for an easy run, so that and the heat was starting to wear on me. I did wear my new Epics though. I like 'em. Not as speedy as the Zoom Flys but very comfy.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful summer day. 8miles this evening in 57:30 so not being inhibited by the heat. Saw a real optimist with a surfboard down by the river and a surprisingly rotund Deliveroo rider.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Well done for getting out early Will.  With the temperatures heading for 30 degrees this week I will have to try it too.  Maybe not 5:10 am though.  Enjoy your shoe shopping.  

Cal I also don't like shoe shopping for anything other than sport shoes - with size 8 it is difficult to find any nice ones. Your running analysis sounds interesting.  

Nice stuff from JT.

River cool down sounds nice Brizo.  

A short outing (4 and a half miles approx) for me yesterday evening with my group prior to our annual BBQ.  Lovely weather for the later though a bit warm for running.  Legs still a bit tired from Sunday's race.  My necatarine tiramisu mostly got eaten.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Woke from another fairly decent sleep to find it much cooler (it won't last...it's supposed to hit 27 or so later on) so took advantage of that with a 10 mile run at 6.30am. Lots of runners, dog walkers, dog joggers and someone who was huffing on a joint. I always exchange greetings with a man who walks a grey Great Dane, but got quite a few smiles from runners today, no doubt happy that it the temperature was more condusive to running. Also saw a discared L plate with a badly drawn penis on it. I'm sure there's a story there somewhere.\

Hazelnut - only mostly?
  • Ran a 25 min recovery 5km following a ridiculously hot Half Marathon in Swansea on Sunday. Only managed to do it in 1:45, but given the heat i'll take it.
    Mosr Recent Event: Swansea Half Marathon June 24th 2018
    Current Shoe: Saucony Guide 9 & 10
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Bit over 12.2miles in 1hr35. Midday heat was palpable but felt okay. Only thing of note was a skip lorry buzzing me at speed and the driver yelling something unintelligible out the window. No reason for it, probably a laugh to aim a truck at someone. I wouldn't know, I don't have a truck and am not a twat. Well, I don't have a truck.
  • I want some of your tiramisu, Hazelnut - sounds lush.
    Still long, fast and amusing, JT. Watch out for them rednecks.
    You seem to be on a good roll of running, Cal. Happy days.

As my 3 yr old was kicking me in the back constantly from 4am, I thought I may as well catch the worm and was on the road at 5:09am this morning  - a new record. A very tranquil and pleasant 5k loop at 9min/mi, taking in the gothic delights of the Catholic Cathedral and the knocking shop next door. I swapped back to some old shoes, which did the job nicely. Everything seems to be working ok, which reassures me. I still don't go very fast, but maybe that's just the design of my chassis.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    One has to wonder how many of the priests take advantage of the adjacent facilities.

A bit cooler this morning again, which is just as well as I'd run out of shorts and had to wear tights instead. A straightforward six miler, the usual grumbles emanating from my lower leg but otherwise sound. Random sighting of the day was a dog kennel abandonned on the edge of the common.
    Egyptian goslings have now fledged. Hopefully they'll make it.
    Tiramisu was polished off by OH yesterday evening - sorry Will.   You should have seen the array of cakes on offer as well Cal (though maybe not so interesting for you due to the gluten). 

Be careful with those trucks please JT.

Well done on your half richiebrowns.

I also got out before breakfast this morning to avoid the heat and the worst of the wind.  8.5 miles with 11 x strides (should have been 10 oops..).  Setting off with fresh legs and having little pace discipline resulted in an average of 8:38 m/m instead of around 9:13 m/m which I should have been doing.   
    edited June 2018
    (wrong thread)
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Rest day today but I did go for my first swim in about six years! Some club members were meeting at the lido (which is massive, and unheated, so I've not swum in it before despite living here for 23 years) and I was buying a wetsuit off one of them, so I turned up, did four lengths with the suit and four without. A length is 92m so 8 length wasn't that short of half a mile. I'm mostly a breaststroker (shoulder's too knackered for much else) and that was tough with the wetsuit due to the extra buoyancy, so it was definitely easier to swim without it but I did start to feel a tad chilly due to being a slow swimmer. I probably won't make a habit of swimming as a) I'm crap at it and b) I find it rather boring doing lengths, but having the wetsuit does give me options in case of injury. Shoulders feel very tired now!
    Nice bit of swimming that Cal. 

Two runs to report: an unplanned 3 and a bit mile recovery run yesterday afternoon to collect my car from the garage where a set of electric shockers has been fitted to stop that bloody marten chewing on the cables again (4th time this year..).   Uncomfortably warm in the sun. 

Out this morning before 8am again as the temperature is supposed to reach around 30 degrees today.  8.75 miles in 1:18:42 so around 9min/miling.  Managed to maintain a reasonably constant pace for once - helped by the flat nature of the route.  Fairly quiet out - met a couple of dog walkers, some birds (herons, storks).  Also listenened however to an army of grasshoppers in the long grass next to the track. 

Not sure I am looking forward to tomorrow's run: 13 miles with 8 at mara pace.  But September's marathon won't run itself so I will be getting out early again.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It's supposed to get to 30 here too. Yuck. And am likewise not looking forward to my long run tomorrow - it'll be 18 degrees even at 5am (if I wake up that early, which is doubtful).
    I did, however, have a decent parkrun today. 25:40 at Clapham Common (my second time running there - last time was muddy and I came down with shingles right after). Course was a bit dusty and littered with tree roots so I'm pleased with the time - my fifth under 26 this year. Age cat first too. I ran a mile there and a mile home again after (with chatting breaks in between) so 5 miles all told.
  • Yesterday 7.5 miles at 8 min/mi pace and then today 7& a bit miles at 7.39 min/mi pace.Tomorrow 12 miles after work. Will make it 41 total for the week.

Miscellaneous observations and events during runs;
    1.Yesterday saw woman runner who looked anorexic. Not small leaned muscled, quick and strong but average height small muscled slow and weak. Her face which I saw when I turned round to start my loop again was very gaunt and tired looking. 
    2. Today helped a man put his chain back on his bike. He had it up side down the back wheel off and admitted he didn't know what to do. Second time in two days I have helped someone get a chain on. 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've also hit 41 miles this week, Stephen, thanks to getting up at arse o' clock to run 16 miles this morning. (It was actually quite pleasant, though I did exhaust my water supply which suggests I may need something better than my bottle belt for the 20 milers). First proper long run since Liverpool, and it was actually pretty quick (averaged 10:17 - my long runs were 10:40s in the winter) but didn't go according to plan as I chose the Brockwell route and then found Brockwell Park doesn't even open until 7:30am so I ran through Brixton and then on to Clapham, Wandsworth and Tooting commons.
    Rolled my ankle in Brixton (7 miles in), which hurt quite a bit, made me swear a lot and resulted in an increase in pace for the rest of the run, probably due to the adrenaline.
    Spotted a green woodpecker on Tooting Common (I hear them often, but have only caught a glimpse a couple of times, so it was nice to see him), a thrush, woodpigeons and crows competing to see who had the biggest gang, three foxes in different places and a heron on Wandsworth Common.
    I am a couple of miles behind you both at 38.7 for the week.  :)

Nice parkrun yesterday and long run today Cal.  Hope the ankle is okay.  Good nature spotting.

Are there no public drinking fountains you could also have a refill at?   I carry a 300ml bottle and base my longer routes around stationary water supplies at the moment. 

13 miles with 8 at mara pace done for me today in 1:52 - out before 8am again but it was tough doing the last couple of miles at mara pace against the sun in no shade so I faded on those a bit.  Pleased with the overall result nonetheless as I find the mara pace runs the hardest in training on my own.  Pretty quiet out - just a few dog walkers.  Ran past a field of sunflowers in full bloom. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    There is in Brockwell Park, which is why I chose that route...not knowing the park opened relatively late. Unfortunately, there aren't on the commons. Well done on your 13, Hazel.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Just about 62miles this week. I don't know if that's impressive or bloody stupid.
    Offroad Friday for 9.5miles more or less. Accidentally paused my watch so had to map the missing distance and add it on.
    17.3miles today in bit over 2hrs13. Pretty even pace throughout. Took my water bottle belt for the first time this year. It annoyed the hell out of me for the first half mile until I managed to dampen the bouncing around. Went through the university campus and there was an open day. Fresh faced kids with their parents carrying these rather handsome freebie promo bags.
    I've done most of my running this month in the teeth of the midday heat without any problems. Last year in cooler but humid conditions I was getting floored.
  • 12 miles done. Completely knackered which is not good. Next week its reduced milage as i have held 40 miles a week for 4 weeks now. I may take it down to as much as 50%. and do a review before I take it up to 44 miles. 
  • A lot of blimming miles being run by MLRers at the mo. With a less delightful bunch, this could feel intimidating. Ace work, Cal, Hazelnut, JT (merde le lit - 62!) And Stephen. Sunhats off to you.

As for me, World Cup snacking and general lack of discipline has led me to put on half a stone + and to have just not hit any consistency or value to my running. I need events to aim for to keep me on the wagon and running with purpose. My last one was ages ago so I've entered a half at the end of August, to go with the two in September and one in October. I've also scribbled down a comprehensive plan, which I will commit to Excel later today. 25-30 miles a week consistently is the aim, with lots of early am running and some good long ones. 

Mornings, it seems, are going to be the key to this new regime. This is when I'm going to have time to run and I am actually enjoying the 5am starts so far! 5 miles yesterday, pre Junior Parkrun and a nippy 4 miles at 5am this morning. Both mornings have been beautiful sunny affairs and it really is nice to be up and about at that time. A shiny red patch of Lords and Ladies was the star spot this morning. Now for coffee...
    I run, therefore I am.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hope you're rejuvenated soon SEForde.
    7miles in bit over 49mins this evening. Back 4miles around 6:50m/m. Running pretty well at the moment. There was an abandoned wheelchair with a broken wheel.
    Good work from everyone on the early morning runs. Personally I'm sluggish early morning. Evening runs are better but I drag myself out with the caveat that I'm not going fast, then I eventually get fast(ish).
    Swittle! You doing okay?
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone.
    After a rest day yesterday (well, aside from a 6.30am hot pilates class) where I felt hot and bored, I was eager to get going today. Rather pleasantly surprised that it felt quite fresh out, with a nice cool breeze, so I ended up doing 10 miles.
    Abandoned dog kennel has gone, but now there's an abandoned mattress, which looked to be in far better shape than the one I got rid of recently.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Felt tired this morning so runner logic dictated I do a recovery run so I'm better prepared for my race tonight. Saw what I thought was an interesting bird - it had the stance and attitude of a robin, but with a buff rather than red breast. Checked the RSPB bird identifier when I got home. Juvenile robin. :D