Monday 2nd July 2018 - When I wake up in the morning, love

Morning.

Lyrics - When I wake up in the morning, love

I'm looking forward to hearing how OH's race went.

You are welcome to the rain Poppy - if we have any I'm quite happy for it to be overnight!

What:           easy miles
Why:            it's too nice not to when I can
Last hard:    Saturday's easy run felt hard
Last rest:     12/6

Yesterday's lyrics - Runnin' (Lose It All) by Naughty Boy.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    Don/SC: Finding the Pegasus info interesting, my left foot I have toenails like a baby, pink and lovely, my right foot looks like I've got my foot caught in an industrail grinder. All black, 'semi-detached' toenails growing over old toenails. I've used Asics Cumulus since I started running, they have always worked for me, really soft, good for knees, but the new version is as rigid as cardboard, the upper mesh like sandpaper. I did have a pair of Pegasus in 2006, they were pretty damn soft, but wore them mainly for non-running as they were a bit 'slippy' on foot. Might look in to them again. Never used to get the toenail issues prior to the latest version of Cumulus. A shame, I've really like them.

SC: That sounds like a good brutal run you had there. The ground here is like set plaster of Paris.

Emz: Like the miles (or km) accumulator, top stuff!

Chicksta: Good time of day to get out, that picture of the sun is saying, not long now be prepared runners, I'm coming up, coming to get you!

LMH: Whoaw! Great! Great feeling when an intended run becomes a different beast, but that is a mighty fine one.

Ale: Good going Ale, frustrating when suffering ailments.

OH: Hope it went tiptop yesterday, will hear about it no doubt soon.

Had a beach day yesterday with friends, did manage a quick gym session just because early evening.

What: At work today, a 7 or 8 afterwards about 5PM

Why: Keep it all going

Lyrics: Oh my goodness yes, what a song, a shower singing favourite

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Looks like another lovely one here - was super muggy walking to the train
    Good to see some good weekend exploits: well battled SC, and LmH, belated birthday wishes to Mark.
    Lovely pic Chick and I hope OH had a great run.
    Good "squeezing it in" too from Benjy.

Was offline much of the weekend. Bailed on track on Saturday, felt utterly knackered, so just a 4 mile leg stretcher and plenty of domestic stuff. 
    Yesterday was chief Timekeeper at kids meet, so out in the sun from 9:30-5:00
    Skipped out at 9pm for an easy 10k. Lowest mileage week of the year, but only planning on mile/5k training as a priority the next few months anyway.

Today - lunchtime easy
    Why - catch some rays
    last rest - 01/06
    last hard - all of them at the moment
    lyric - believe so
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning! Looks like another lovely day here!

Lyrics: indeed

What: fitness suite, again

Why: somewhere cool!

GP has just phoned and she is doing me a referral letter for a scan on my knee. Still hoping it won't be necessary as they always find something else!

Hope OH can walk this morning...and type!

How's Jodie, Wabo?

This month's discount code for sportsshoes.com is GRL6 for 10% off and free postage.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning

Benjy: Great job getting your runs in.Blackened toe nails oh yes I can relate big time I paint my nails so they look normalish and found some gel toe protectors which  seem to be working.

LMH: I wish it was for longer and I am willing to have everyone's rain:-)

What: 11.5 miles
    Why: Because I can
    Last hard: The heat and sleeping
    Lyrics; I do believe I do.

I had great fun running through as many puddles as I could find even if I had to go out of my way;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Nice run banked, WP! BBC say only 10% chance of a spot of rain in the next fortnight, and Accuweather say 2%! Most unusual for around here and not helping fight the fires on the moors: can still smell the smoke and I'm over ten miles away. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Chicksta: Good time of day to get out, that picture of the sun is saying, not long now be prepared runners, I'm coming up, coming to get you!

That made me laugh out loud!
    Hope you manage to get out later. And running shoe manufacturers changing a perfectly fine shoe thus making it worse are a pet hate of mine. Happened to me with my beloved Kinvaras :p  .

Hope OH got on well yesterday :-)

Poppy: love the puddle chase :D  I ran through a newly established park this morning and they were watering the grass. Some of those irrigation thingies were aiming at the footpath so I had a free the little shower.

Ale: Hope they won't find another issue ... but rather tell you you're good to run! Although that might be wishful thinking.

Dustin: I was in bed by the time you skipped out for your run :)

What: 9 miles with strides
    Why: Leg turnover
    Last hard: sleeping
    Last rest: 21/6
    Lyrics: yes, it really is one of those sing-a-long tunes

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all. Update: battery dead on laptop but can remove and by pass whilst waiting for new one. Hard re-set on Garmin but clock now 6 hours behind...Hmm...system set to manual methinks! 3rd thing on Saturday was springing upwards like a young gazelle around the 5k spot and being halted on the ascendancy by a very firm branch. Slight grazing and a few mild expletives as there were ladies close behind. No lasting damage I hope :-). Still no idea of time but T-shirt has been tracked down and medal has been promised. Our club were 2 short on leg nine and four short on leg 10. First year they have done a medal so nice one to get.
    Looking forward to report from OH. Great miles WP. Ale: Stick with the programme. Dustin/LMH enjoy the easy and Benjy: enjoy whichever you end up doing. 
    What: Not sure of run but tkd tonight
    Why: Still wasted
    Last Hard: Walking yesterday morning
    Last Rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: Indeed 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    afternoon all
    lyrics yes
    SC sounds like you had a busy weekend
    chick enjoy the 9 and the strides
    wp nice miles, only puddles I saw were from a burst water main!!
    alehouse enjoy fitness.  Jodie really not good :-(
    she feels constantly like she will have SVT - tight chest whoozy and so so tired, it's not a good situation with two young girls.  Waiting for heart scan and meanwhile feeling cr*p
    dustin enjoy lunch time and the rays! 
    benjy beach day sounds lovely!
    LMH enjoy the easy

what: 2.6 miles d&d this morning before work, not too hot
    why: trust me when I say sanity
    last hard: that was
    last rest: 31/12/16
    have a good day all
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Hope Jodie gets some answers soon, Wabo
    Worked hard in the fitness suite, mainly on the bike. Then had to go for annual eye sight test. Knee sore after walking back from that. 
  • An Other HalfAn Other Half ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    St Magnus Marathon 2018

So how did it go?

New insoles and Thorlo socks

No travelling this time other than leisurely stroll down to cathedral for 10am start.
    Chat with friends from near and far.
    Bright sun. Already reading 21C by this time and got hotter as day went on
    ( unprecedented home running conditions for Orkney )
    Elspeth on duty for tail cyclist as she is still injured.

60 runners on day (but triple figures for 10k and 5k)

Participated in brief warm and we were off down the Main Street. Short diversion through the industrial estate before first climb began reaching highest point at 4 miles. Great views for visitors over Kirkwall and Scapa bays and out onto the surrounding islands. 

Going well and on down towards Finstown and 2nd water station at 7.x miles with Firth bay now opening up. Shortly before then, the all too familiar foot pain kicked in. 

As per my plan, I stopped at station sat down taking weight off my feet and gave my toes a good wriggle for 1-2 miles which was sufficient relief  to carry me on to next water station. I repeated this at all but the last water station. Had I not done so it would have almost certainly been a DNF.

After Finstown, the route follows the road along the NE coast, initially straight with mild  undulations getting more undulating after 12miles. The day was also getting hotter with full-on sun but a back wind gave some relief. Runners were fairly well spaced out now and I was mostly running alone with lovely views of Rousay and Eynhallow across the Eynhallow strait.
    Past Swannay Loch and brewery at just before 22miles before final hill.
    Finally the last downhill with Birsay brough and lighthouse coming into view.
    Sun was relentless - Wouldn’t normally stop at 25 mile water station but did on this occasion to consume nearly a litre of water, straight down the hatch.
    Past the Birsay Bay Tearooms and onto the dirt track for about  a quarter of a mile.
    Back on the road, Community hall in sight, 26 mile marker passed, round the final corner hearing my name being announced on Tannoy. Our friend who had done the 10k was waiting behind finish line. 
    Over the line in 5h35m51, not a great time in grand scheme (nor even for me) but relieved just to complete today - marathon #20.

The overall winner was over the line in 3h03. The other 2 VM60s were both sub 4.  A handful of runners  came in behind me with Elspeth following last one in at 6h28.

Tea, Steak roll then Shower while waiting for Els to get in then retraced abbreviated marathon route in car twice to get turned around for Ceilidh.

2 paracetamol, voltarol gel, soak in bath followed by 2 beers to resuscitate feet for ceilidh. Plus double socks.
    Auld Lang Syne and bed.

2 separate sea swims today.
  • Glad to hear that you were able to complete OH. Have you tried wearing thin socks? I used to swear by Thorlos but now wear as thin as possible unless it's very cold. Sorry to hear that Els is still injured.

Thanks for the code Alehouse - I've just stocked up on my lovely trail shorts which were less than half price anyway so a real bargain with the discount and no postage to pay.

Sorry to hear that Jodie is struggling Wabo. I'm with you on the running for sanity.

Sounds eventful SC - glad there doesn't seem to have been any serious damage done.

Has it warmed up again for you chicksta?

Don't blame you Dustin, hope you feel fresher for it.

Nice long run Poppy.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • It was the Thorlo light ones yesterday. I actually wear a variety of socks with no discernible difference.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Well done OH! Sounds a tough day but you did it! 
  • BenjyBenjyBenjyBenjy ✭✭✭
    OH: Cracking! Just done a GoogleMapsNosey to have a look at your places on the route. (The future is now, even on an island you can't escape big brother.) And a Ceilidh to boot. You're a machine.

Welsh: Right, painted toenails it is, I'm going to venture it my girls bedrooms and rummage through the knee high tat and junk to find a bottle. Fingers crossed it's purple. I like to say "puuurpul" in a Hull accent whenever I can.

SC: Garmin, puuugh! Got home, had it on full charge, put it on window ledge soon as it starts it dies, I think it must have switched itself on after charge and then got flat.

Bizarre thing, had to go back to the 1800s and run with just a stopwatch as my guide, no Garmin today, felt like I was running in just my pants, as though something was wrong, kind of naked, having to guess my distance, because it was a mystery tour and felt really good decided to double back the last stretch, just done Mapometer and I did 8 miles thinking it was 7 in a time that I would roughly be 6.75 to 7. Just wonder if my Garmin pace dictates a bit to me. Might do tomorrow's run without my Garmin. Chances are though at the moment I probably won't have any choice.

Won't upload to connect anymore, battery doing funny things, often won't start and have to do factory reset, but it is only 10 years old so I want my moneysworth out of it. I live in Yorkshire.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    Well done OH on marathon 20!

After 10 miles yesterday morning, I did a 27 mile tough mountain bike route in the evening.  Today, ran 5 this morning on tight legs due to cycling then out for an hour of MB tonight, just messing about on rooty trails.  Great fun.

lyrics, yes. 

• Finish line and before start
  • "I live in Yorkshire" LOL Benjy