Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Pretty warm again this morning, it was a bit fresher last week, shame that breeze has got warmer.

Decent weekend of running - went to do the Gt Denham parkrun and was allowed to run it! Its a decent, flat 2 lapper with only 3 turns in each lap. Bit breezy, but nothing too bad. got round half in 7.50 ish, so knew I was going ok, didn't feel too bad but knew the 2nd half was going to hurt. Came in with my third sub 16 with a 15.58. Bit shy of IK's 15.14 though..Probably the most pleasing thing was it was done without a proper warm up too, did the strides but no usual 10-15 minute jog round.

Then went over to Bedford as the kid does the kids 'Beagles' athletics thing and did 20 x 35 secs on the grass, whilst some of the Bedford lot were doing some stupidly fast 400's.

Sunday run was horrible though. Did about 70 mins - but had to go out at 7am . Too early for me, legs were really achy and didn't really get much better.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one Joe. You're a training animal at the moment! Keep it up!
    Seem like you're getting to one of your "good place" consistent zones Ric, long may this spell continue.

Simon, I still don't know how you pack in so many races. You must have either incredible recovery, or operate at a level of your max that doesn't need full recovery :)

Standard 6 & 4 today for me.

Following my 5k sesh plan in order has the 16x200 at 1500k pace tomorrow. Sounds a good one in this heat.

Relay on saturday. In name we're the B team, but it's become even more of a mix and match now, so will treat it as a fun little burn, see if I can have a little rampage and overtake anyone.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cracking parkrun Simon - and what SG said :smiley:

Sacked off the lunchtime run today, as legs felt really heavy. Ad-hoc ride home instead on melting roads!!!!
  • Cheers Both. I suppose summer does get a bit silly races wise. But saying that, most are little track races, it's like a training session some of the masters meetings. And I'm being sensible and not going to Cambridge this week for Eastern masters, as I'm doing the 3000 at Bedford Saturday.

I hope the Bedford track have got beer & TV plans sorted for Saturday if we win tonight - we will play at 3pm!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I'm sure the local boys saw it, but i think the Marlow fire made the national news as well.

Not quite sure which field, but super close to the track I use. I heard one minor road was closed, but didn't think there'd be a problem today. Wrong... got there, and the turn off from the roundabout was closed, so had to head to Marlow to ditch the car, and jog the mile in.

Amused to see a colossal douche who thought he'd nip through the "POLICE - CLOSED" signs, getting an almighty ticking off from some fire warden :) before having to head back the way he'd come.

Was a little concerned I'd have to get back to Marlow, soak up that traffic, and then get going the long way, featuring a lot of very busy roads for double the distance of my usual way in, but thought i'd worry about that post sesh! The sesh must go on.

16x200 at 3k off 60secs, so one of the shorter time wise sessions luckily!

Aimed for 34, and got 11 on 34, with 4 starting 33, and even one starting 32, which coincided with big Trev turning up at the track, so obviously put a bit more beans into that one!

The traffic was moving again when I emerged out of the track, but they were just all breaking the police sign now! As no-one was going the way I needed to go, it would have been a ridiculous risk to break a pretty obvious corden off the motorway, so it was a mile back to the car, and as expected one haul of a drive in, getting to desk about 9.15!

Bit tight quads which is unusual, but did start the day sneezing and sniffing, so most likely a borderline coldy thing.

• Decent session mate..with added fire drama. Probably local idiots starting fires, although I presume its more civilised than most places, Marlow? Hope the cold doesn't develop..

Fogot to mention this morning's session, the normal bike scattering 30 x 30 secs up and down the Regents canal path off a 30 secs jog. Really busy obviously at the moment with the weather being so nice. Felt more sprightly than last week, my peak hayfever fortnight has I think passed now.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Yeah, A404 was closed yesterday afternoon. I could see the smoke from my office in Aylesbury so it must have been a big fire!!!!

Good sesh SG. Perhaps you need Trev watching you all the time :wink:

Double off-road day for me today.
  • All quiet again. This thread is like a Bjork track.

Long cummute today and sod all in the next couple of days in readiness for Saturday's 3000. Hilarious reading about Lynsey Sharp moaning that Laura Muir didn't enter the 800 properly at the weekend. Amazed she didn't think it would sound like sour grapes..

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Long cummute today 

I really hate to think what this involved!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Spent yesterday post lunchrun doing some impressive machine gun fire sneezing, glazed eyes, dribbling with snot. Didn't think i was a hay fever type, but something didn't agree. Maybe a mix of being sightly run down mixed with the sky high weather conditions we're having.

Still enjoyed the England game though, in between sneezes! 
    Made sense to make today the week's day off!

Now gives Saturday an awkwardness, as I'm leg 6, the relay starts at 12 (just to make sure we get the max temperature)!, our long leggers will do well to
    average around 33 or so mins for the long leg, and we'll probably average about 16 for the short leg
    That'd have us finishing around 2.30 ish, so can either hang around with anyone who is still there (most being locals who probably favour their own tv!), make a mad dash home for 3, or try and Likely lads it, and not hear the result until watching a replay!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Lynsey Sharp has a face that describes eating sour grapes perfectly.

'Likely Lads!' SG. A bit before even my time that episode. If that's what you meant?

If I have a day of mysterious sore throats etc, I just check on the wind (if any) direction. If from the east, there's the source.

Just back from a bike ride which was the easiest yet. That was on top of the ten mile run I did earlier, with a garden job in between.

Sooner or later I'm going to have to shift some weight and do something with the current form.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    That's the only Likely Lads episode I've seen. I recall them repeating it during Euro 96. The BBC desperate to rinse anything football related in the days before 24 hour sports coverage.

I've never liked Lynsey Sharp, she seems like a moody cow.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I'm prepared to make allowances under certain conditions myself Reg.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

For one minute I thought you had some odd fetish there Ric.

Then I realised it's the runner woman from earlier! Whoa, needs to back away from the sun bed and give Timmy M his glasses back!

Best bit with the World cup is the people you never hear mention football all year giving it full beans on social media. I've even seen a couple of our thread heroes doing the same ;)

Resy day today. Insane sneezing has gone, so goodness knows. Bit warm still, but hopefully a quick cold/slight allergy thing in and out quickly.

Relays Saturday then.  It's getting a little hard to stay motivated, as people are treating it like a bit of a hot potato, and I dare say now the England game is confirmed at 3pm, by the time I finish my leg, everyone on previous legs will have long gone!

Will use it as a bit of a tempo with hopefully the chance to have a big finish and take some places back.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Easy sneezy! So you are saying no one who aint a full-time, full-on footie fan is allowed to become momentarily and fleetingly engaged in the world cup? Even I watched the second half yesterday - though it just reinforced what a bunch of self-centred, disrespectful, egotistical, thuggish and play-acting nancy-boys professional footballers generally are! That, and the fact that it's actually pretty boring to watch until the odd moment they decide to do some of the stuff they are paid ridiculous sums of money to do, when it's not too bad!

Anyways....hot one tonight, included 8 x 1 min at probably 3k pace along the canal. Wanted to do 10, but it was never gonna happen!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's great people get into it, and it's similar to when we follow the Olympics or Wimbledon and pretend to like it for a few days and weeks.

It's just the way people who have zero interest most of the time start giving it the whole "could barely breathe it was so tense, can hardly sleep" level of ridiculous hyperbole, when you know they'll forget all about football for the next 4 years.

ps Colombia did take gamesmanship to an ugly level yesterday. 

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I genuinely thought that picture was a tranny at first. Not for me.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Haha in a much more direct way that's in and around what i was thinking Reggie :)
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Not one for the athletic type then Reg? always been a' leg man myself! Was stood next to Morgan Lake at Bedford a few weeks back..and she really has a body 'built for sport..'

Worth trying to seek out some other Whatever happened to (The Likely Lads) episodes, I've got a bargain bucket DVD of the best 6, they re absolutely sublime. I'd also recommend probably the most underrated comedy ever - 'Ever Decreasing Circles', especially the cricket match one. Or at the other end of the scale, 'Young Offenders' is on iplayer, from BBC3..about two scallywags from Cork..pretty funny.

It was a pretty crap match tbh on Tuesday, think we'll beat Sweden though in normal time. 1-0. they are chronic up front.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    I'm out of circulation these days on 'jumping bones', but in my younger days I would/could take on (almost) anything. 

Though even at my most desperate, Semenya (and most of the current world class W800m in fact) would have had me drowning myself. They are seriously hideous munters.

Watched Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? when it came out. One example where the sequel was better than the original. The first episode was shown again recently but PC got in the way and blanked out the bit where Terry called Bob a bastard.

Ever Decreasing Circles. Richard Briars. 
    The bit I remember was when Harold said 'I'll wish you good morning to be civilised- but I don't mean it'.

The football thing I find a bit too much is the irrational tribalism. A forum on football descends into something that metaphorically speaking would have me checking the soles of my boots. 

Another ten miles running this morning, which is four days in a row.

I've noticed by not pushing the pace and just accepting whatever emerges from a given effort, I've actually got faster.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I like athletic women but this is too close to Semenya. Pole vaulters are the best.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg, if you're saying that you think Sharp closely resembles Semenya, I reckon you need to go to spec savers.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Reg, I know you don't like Lindsey Sharp, but come on.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    She looks slightly more feminine there, than the leathery skinned, manly faced beach pic Ric, in fairness :)
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Semenya has some outstanding pecs. A very manly handshake too. 

Will your relay clash with the football SG? There's another Podium 5k coming in August if it fits. It'll either be on the Sat, Sunday or Monday over the bank holiday weekend. He has a Facebook page where he's asked the runner their preference for what day would be best. Saturday looking favourite. 

Entered a 4.5 mile trail race last night which was the 3rd race of a 4 race series. 
    Noticed a few familiar faces so sat in early on and the pace was pretty steady. Another chap put his foot down so I went and sat on his shoulder until about 1 mile in and then ended up opening a gap. Lots of ups and downs with a hill at the end of each 2 mile loop. Had quite a decent lead after the first lap and then seemed to tire pretty quick. 

2/3/4th place all neck amd neck pushing each other so I knew I had to keep working hard. Eased up the last hill and won by 8 seconds in the end but was instantly pissed off that I didn't win by more (are we ever happy).
    Had already planned on going to the track with a pal so ended up doing 4x200 6x400 4 x 200. Mainly 32/33s for the 200s and 4 x 69s and 2 x 70s. 

I've also joined a new running club. There's about 20 members and I think half have represented GB or England at fell/mountain running. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Jeez guys - all a bit harsh and judgemental for this day and age aintcha?! Get with the programme boys! 

Anyway - will someone true down the thermostat now please? I like the heat usually, but tonight was horrible even though the weather bods are telling me humidity is very low!!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

When you're adonises like all of us on here Bus, we can be free with the lingo ;)

If things get any more PC we'll start to get told off for picking up on drugs cheats! On that note, I did chuckle recently reading on one hand someone absolutely panning drugs cheats, and then in another breath being all chummy with a very well known GB one!!

Agreed, the heat can disappear now, and always the humidity is unwelcome.

2x4miles today, plus some runs from a carpark to the dentist, having left a very small amount of time until the appointment, then managing to forget some forms! Can very slightly feel a foot thing at the moment, so running in work shoes wasn't ideal! Pretty sure it's calf/achilles tightness, so just a small one to watch.

Good win Matt, and that podium may actually work! United are due to play Tottenham on the sat, so we'll see how the tv fixtures confirmations (apparently out tomorrow) might want to mess with that, and what time the Podium might be positioned

12.45 sat, 6.30 race

or 6.30 race, Sunday kick off and it could work.

Would just have to watch the fish and chips I only ever have up north, if it was racing up a few hours later though!!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Sorry Matt, in all the excitement I missed the win! Nice one! keep an eye on it SG!  Still not decided whether to head of to the Brecon beacons on Saturday for a fell race double. Tempted by the races, but not sure I can be arsed with two 3-4 hour journeys and sorting out the camping kit!
  • ML84ML84 ✭✭✭
    Saturday would likely be an evening race SG. Think there's the 3 races again. Open, sub 20, sub 16.30. Give the page a follow on FB to keep in the loop. 

3-4 hours travel is a bind Bus. Would you stay over after the race? With the weather we're having it could be a decent trip. Not often we can count on the weather in this country is it. 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with being judgemental Bus, especially if it's all in the aid of a bit of light-hearted banter.

Nice trail race win there Matt.

Not much running from me but I did do a half-Ironman last weekend. Wasn't my best and I struggled on the run to 1:36. For once the run wasn't short, in fact it was 13.3 miles and the bike was near 57 miles (56 miles is standard). It was my first race in an Elite wave so I got a nice gold cap and there was just 30 of us in the wave. Made the swim peaceful but also slow as I got completely left behind by top age-groupers and a few aspiring pros. Took a few places back on the bike and stayed pretty much where I was on the run. Was hot and windy.