My Last Run

Comments

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Good luck for your race tonight Cal - what are you doing?  I hope it won't be too hot. 

11.5 miles for me yesterday evening with 5 on my own and the rest with my group.  The plan was to do the 5 at mara pace + 10% (8:50) and then trundle round at the back of the pack at around mara pace + 20 %.  (9:39).  One guy had new shoes though which seemed to give him swift feet and everyone else followed his lead.  Result: the whole run came out at 8:50 pace.   Might regret that tomorrow as I have speedwork to do.  We will see.  Not quite as hot as the last few days but very humid due to the thunderstorms during the day.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    It was 10K (there was a 5K option, but I don't like to pay for a 5K when there's a free parkrun every week!)
    It was warm but not baking - rather more humid than I was expecting though. Under the circumstances I thought getting under 55 minutes would be a real win, but my legs had other ideas. I really have no idea what happened but I ended up smashing my PB by over a minute - my new PB is now 51:40! I ran the first three miles at parkrun pace, then the next two at 10K PB pace, then took it slightly easier for the last mile as I knew the PB was in the bag. I really wasn't expecting that but I surprised myself. I don't even like running in the evening!
  • Blimey, Cal - what an effort! Very chuffed for you. Success a reward for all the effort you put in.
    I dragged myself out of bed to be on the road at 4:59 this morning, which was fine as I hit the hay at 8.30 last night (told to by Mrs Will as was grumpy as hell!) A pleasant 5.5 miles in 50 minutes, with a cool breeze being most welcome. The Lesser Black Backed Gull had a large, squashed hedgehog on its breakfast menu this morning. I sidestepped a pristine but rather dead shrew as I took a deviation along the river and through the gloriously misty marshes. The river was looking low and choked with lilies. I feel great now. 
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Thanks Will. That sounds like a nice run. Unfortunately I now have a stomach upset. My stomach was burning a bit during the race, which I thought was down to eating an energy bar too close to the start. But it got worse and I didn't get a lot of sleep last night. Since I've woken up I've been pooing non stop. :( I can't believe the human colon can hold that much. Gah!
  • BrizoBrizo ✭✭✭
    Just ran a 5 miler in this heat!! It was a good idea until i ran down a road with high walls and the heat was radiating off everything and felt like being in an oven. Still enjoyed it and managed a dunk in the river on way home. Must remember to soak hat again before going out, great way to keep cool
  • I run every day, have been doing it for a while. Today I did 5k at 25 (my treadmill only goes up to 12) and am doing 2k intervals until I reach 10k.
    my runs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lFCO3irY3o
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Cal, you're becoming a different runner. Shame about the stomach trouble.
    Hello Brizo. There's a certain inevitability to how your runs finish up. And hello Roberto. Hope you've been running outside as well as treadmill. It's a much freer experience and you don't have to end up in a river.
    13.1miles in bit under 1hr39. Cloud and humidity today but after a slow opening mile got into an even rhythm and sped up at the end. There's a little circle of bungalows in a village on route populated by elderly retirees. It's called St Peters Close. Very close.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    The worst of it seems to be over - I napped a lot yesterday and was able to manage an easy 6 miles early this morning.
    JT, your posts always give me a chuckle.
  • Glad to hear your bowels are behaving again, Cal.
    Up at the crack again this morning and found some uncharacteristic 'speed' - 4 miles at 8:45 min/mi. The Lesser Black Backed Gulls were mocking me, probably because there was no decent carrion around. I'm enjoying the early runs but could do with a lunchtime snooze, and then another one mid-afternoon.
    I run, therefore I am.
    Wow - another PB Cal, sorry to hear about the stomach upset afterwards but at least it wasn't for too long.

Nice early running Will.  

I regularly use the hat trick to keep cool myself Brizo, or soak a buff and carry that around my wrist.

Welcome Roberto12345 - I think you are new on here.

JT does provide good entertainment on here and other threads and does some good running too.

8 miles with 4 at around 10 mile race pace (7:29) was on the agenda for me yesterday evening. It was tough work in the humidity but I managed the 4 miles at on or slightly faster than target pace.

Rest day today.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ah, good old P&D. Well done for getting through that workout - can't be easy on a hot day. Not that it's easy on a normal day, to be honest!
    Good running, Will.
    Tummy's still a bit sore but nothing like it was after my 10K. I'm off to hot inferno pilates soon (I don't normally do the Friday evening class, but I figured I can be hot and sweaty in my flat, or hot and sweaty in a studio, and at least burn some calories rather than stuffing my face with ice cream).
  • yes I'm new guys, thanks for the welcomes. The forum doesnt seem overly populated but it might be the summer holidays.

JT141 I really prefer the treadmill, unless I can monitor a constant speed when on the road. Also there are usually people to avoid which means losing pace, unless I run on a track which really feels no different to a treadmill.
    my runs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lFCO3irY3o
  • Hello Roberto!

Parkrun for me this morning, which soon had me panting like a lame greyhound. Really hot here in Norwich and I found the 3rd mile a real tough one. Pace was looking good until halfway when the sun played it's mindgames. I finished in 24:52, not bad but a way off the sub-24 I'm aiming for. My Dad, however, came home saying he thought he'd run 31ish. Turns out he smashed his PB by 42 seconds to finish in 28:52 - whippet like.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I had a good, if hot parkrun at a new venue - Old Deer Park - which has a nice small field for a London run. I came home in 26:15 which I was content with but they seem to have cocked up the timings and gave me a time of 27:35, which I am really not happy with at all. Doesn't help that noisy football neighbours kept me awake with their shouting last night and it's roasting hot in my flat.
    Well spotted on the P&D Cal (just finishing off week 2 of the sub 55 miles / 12 weeks plan this weekend).

Roberto the forum undewent an overhaul a few months ago which scared off quite a lot of people it seems and the spamming has got bad in the recent months.  Always good to see someone new.

You've got a swift dad Will.  And a good effort by you too.  Sun definitely makes things tougher.

I  got this weeks longer run done today rather than tomorrow so that I can go for a hike tomorrow with OH.
    Out before 8 am (just) for 15.5 miles.  I had intended to split the run into 3 parts pacewise gradually speeding up to a maximum of MP + 10 %.  My real pacing was all over the pace rather than progressive.  Really must learn some discipline.  It was foggy when I set off, that gradually lifting to leave the sun peeking through just as I arrived home, so good timing.     Munched a few pieces of ginger based energy bar (hmm very tasty) but was hungry by the time I got home. 
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Well done Will's dad.
    7.2miles last night in about 50:30. A faster first mile than usual (albeit still easily the slowest mile) left me feeling a bit rough midway. I need to ease into runs. 11miles road and offroad this morning in 1hr25. Not great in the mornings either. Hot and tiring. Surprising amount of traffic on the country back roads. Uneventful.
    I like quiche.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I had hoped to do 16 this morning but woke up late which meant I didn't get out until after 6. I stuck with loops of Tooting Common as it's relatively shady (plus I'm a bit sick of Clapham Common after doing a parkrun a week ago and then the 10K there) but felt achey and sore so I ran a half marathon and decided that was enough.
    Today's random abandon was an umbrella - not like anyone is going to need it at the moment I suppose.
    Mummy Egyptian goose was swimming with her two goslings, who are almost fully grown now. They haven't got the distinctive eye spot yet but the feathers are all there.
    Out hiking yesterday and got stuck in a traffic jam on the way home (serves us right for not using the train) so postponed my recovery run to this morning.  Had planned to do around 4 miles, but kept going to do 6 as I was enjoying it so much and it was a lovely morning (though already quite warm). 

To maintain the random abandon - a camoflauge tarp next to the path.  As it is not currently hunting season it might have been dropped by a soldier out on a march - regularly see groups of them out. 

Wildlife spot - a red deer.  I was also subjected to several feigned attacks by a buzzard while running along the edge of a wood.  That's the first time it has happened this year.  I will try to avoid that stretch for a bit.  The alternative is to grab an appropriate stick (if available) and run along holding it up above my head - the bird then attacks the stick rather than my head!  I don't know if they count as wildlife but there was also a large group of teens camping out in the fields - they weren't awake enough to comment on my running fortunately.   
  • They obviously breed tough Buzzards out your way, Hazelnut! Never seen or been attacked by one myself. I did see a lovely Song Thrush this morning, though, trilling away atop a tall, dead tree. Also, another squashed hedgehog. Encouraging that there seem to be more about. Less encouraging that most of them are dead on the road.

A tale of two runs for me. Last night, a more eventful trot and this morning a good shakeout, keeping my mileage on course. Last night I ran my new 5 mile version, which takes in a lovely track along the river with marshes either side. Everything was going swimmingly and I enjoyed the sight of Hal a dozen prime Devonshire cattle grazing by the water's edge. On the way back, however,  they had moved up and onto the raised path along which I was running. I gingerly edged past the first one with no problems, but found myself soon rather too close for comfort to the next large beast. Halting and then attempting to take a wide berth of the heifer, she suddenly became much more aggressive and properly charged at me, with butting head. I dived, Jordan Pickford style and scarpered round and swiftly away from the disgruntled herd. Almost sh*t myself.

Up again early this morning for a good stretch out over 4 miles. I didn't go as far as the cows.

Random abandon: a bright purple clothes horse, the exact same colour as my first pair of proper running shoes, some very camp Nikes.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hazelnut - I've read about people here being bombed by buzzards. I think they get pissy if you get close to their nests.
    Cows are definitely not to be trifled with, Will - good diving. :D

Yesterday was a quiet day - hot pilates first thing and then I had to schlep up to Oxford Street to pick up my London Relay t-shirt from the Asics store.
    The relay was today. I woke up (after a fitful night, it being close to 30 degrees in my flat) to find it thankfully a lot cooler. Unfortunately I felt rubbish, and my stomach, which had been dormant since its outburst last week, decided to kick off again, so I downed some Imodium and hoped for the best.
    Luckily that did the trick and there were no Paul-type incidents during the run. It was a 10K route from London Bridge up to Waterloo, over Westminster Bridge and back down the other side, past the Tower of London, over Tower Bridge and back to the start. Most of it was fine but there were a herds of oblivious tourists around Waterloo/Westminster (the route went past the London Eye/Dungeon/Shrek/Aquarium, which is always rammed) so I ended up shouting "excuse me!" on repeat. Needed an air horn, really. I could have bludgeoned people with the relay baton but I doubt that would have been in the spirit of things. Got a little medal and didn't shit myself, so it was a good day at the office.
    Incidentally, there are still spots available if anyone else fancies giving it a go - it's only in its second of four weeks, so there's still time. Or you could donate here: https://londonrelay.co.uk/u/CalJones
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I had an angry buzzard take a fly at me a few weeks ago. I googled it and it's not so uncommon. Protective instinct. We've been through the calving season as well which makes the cows more aggressive and unpredictable. Animals don't like us.
    Congrats Cal on the relay and staying clean.
    4+ treadmill incline miles Sunday. 12.3miles deliberately slow last night. Tried to revert to normal pace at eight miles, not particularly successfully. Feel really fat and bloated. Today 10.7miles in 1hr22 mainly offroad. Recently cut dry grass on the paths made things a bit slippy. Saw a fox wandering about the Ings.
    Be careful with the cows Will.  Especially if they have calves with them.  

I like the idea of the relay Cal.  

12.4 miles for me yesterday evening - out with my group with a solo jog to and from the meeting point.  Good turnout.  No random abandons but I wasn't paying much attention.
  • Another early jog for me this morning. I'm really enjoying the am buzz. No cows this time, but I did rather gingerly pass a nice piebald pony. Luckily I consider myself somewhat of a horse whisperer. Spot of the run were a lovely pair of Common Terns, noisily chasing each other along the river. Also of note, a handsome male Reed Bunting. Pace was on the easy side and I just enjoyed the run and sorted through a few things in my head. The new job is not quite what I was sold by the recruitment agency. Still, there are far more important things than jobs.
    I run, therefore I am.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Is it a teaching job, Will?
    Didn't feel too good yesterday so took a rest. It's going to be a deload week anyway. I did 6 miles today - fairly cool even at 10am, though it looks as though it'll heat up again at the weekend. Achilles is pretty cross right now - it seems worse after a day's rest rather than better.
    Good call on the rest day Cal.  Maybe some gentle Achilles exercises on rest days?

Hope you can settle in on your new job soon Will.

2 runs for me - a 4 mile recovery yesterday evening and this morning 8 miles with 11 strides at what P & D call general aerobic pace (so faster than recovery but slower than MP + 10 %). I can't count to 10 and concentrate on running at the same time.  Any good tips on keeping track anyone?  I was thinking about collecting the appropriate number of little stones beforehand and dropping one per stride but it would mean running with closed hands which I try not to.

I dithered a bit about going this morning rather than this evening but it was lovely weather for it and the mornings are currently a lot cooler.  Just got back in time for a telco but the shower had to wait so good thing the telephone only transfers sound!    No random abandons, a couple of herons, a (peaceful) buzzard and a field hare spotted.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hello everyone.
    10.5miles today in 1hr18. Been really tired last few days but went okay. Feet sore and beaten up from a lot of miles in very minimal shoes. A man having a shouty row with someone in Lidl car park. A bunch of cows crowding a cycle path. Another man in a Cramps tee shirt. A woman in a Ferrari.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I've not run much this week - the relay, then the 6 on Thursday and parkrun today. Achilles has been very grouchy but another day of rest seemed to help. Wore the Zoom Flys as well, which it seems to like more than my other shoes.
    A special one today as it was my 50th parkrun, so I did it at my local (Tooting) even though it's not the fastest course due to congestion. Very warm but I achieved a course best (25:27) which I am very satisfied with.
  • JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Well done Cal on a half century of parks.
    16.2miles today mainly offroad following the river in bit over 2hrs10 - but tracking was so wayward again on a couple of miles that distance may well be long by a half mile. Pace was slow from start to end. Hot out. I could hear the tannoy from York races.
    Being nosy - how long did it take to do the 50 Cal?  Congratulations.

JT - I could almost simply copy your last post for my own run yesterday.

How much: 16.2 miles
    Where:  along the river
    Time: 02:13:41 (excluding splashing around in a fountain to cool down)
    Temperature:  hot

Hmm - don't agree on the pace was slow bit though ;) - for me it was hard work - 10 of the miles were done at mara pace..

Almost did a "brizo" afterwards as I was tempted to jump in the river to cool down.  Just dipped the legs for a few minutes which was very nice.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    More than two years, Hazelnut. Of course, it should be possible to do it in a year, but I always skipped parkrun the day before races and immediately after marathons, and I also had a lot of injury downtime. It would be nice to hit 100 by the end of next year.
    Good running in the heat to you and JT.
    No running for me yesterday as I was volunteering at Thorpe Park triathlon (rather hot - got a bit burnt! I was on the water station and a lot of the competitors wanted water thrown over them, which we were happy to do). Also none today as I had to go for a mammogram this morning (fun things to do once you're over 50) but I did manage to squeeze in hot pilates beforehand, and then walked to the hospital and back which was a 4 mile round trip. It was already hot at 9am so I didn't fancy running in that.