Options

Running time affected by the heat?

I went out for my usual 10k run on Saturday, and clocked in some 6 minutes slower than the exact same run the previous Saturday.
Has anyone else experienced this sort of thing?
Or have I just got extremely unfit during the course of the week?

Comments

• Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    I was going to post something similar.

I had this on Friday. I was set-up for a sub 50 min 10K, had trained really well and my Parkrun times, on what is considered to be a slow course, were comfortably below 24 mins.

Even at 7:30pm the temperature was at 26C and I couldn't maintain my pace, having to slow considerably at 8K and coming in at 50:36. Arrrgghhhh!!!!
  • Options
    It wouldn't be strange, running in this heat is absolutely knackering on your legs. It has the same effect on everyone I think, unless are used to training for endurance in these temperatures.
    my runs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lFCO3irY3o
  • Options
    YnnecYnnec ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I generally try and follow heart rate in the heat. Generally I don't run after 38 degrees although Ive run when the temperature is in the 40s as the body's core finds it harder to cope as you're raising the temperature above the body's norm.
    And the disclaimer is temperature is relative, having lived in Middle East for many years I'm used to high temperatures, hey the Dubai marathon is run in January as it only reaches the low to mid 20s!

Humidity is more of an indicator for me, I'd rather run in 42 degrees with 15% humidity than 32 degrees with 80% humidity. I've run in many asian countries and believe me it's a lot harder.

I'm on vacation in the UK and Ireland in August and I'm hoping for the temperatures you're having now, sounds perfect, however if its below 20 I'll be the dude with a base layer on under the t-shirt!

The body is amazing, if the temp in the uk remained as they are now you'd get used to it very quickly. My kids have lived most of their lives in Dubai and my eldest is out playing football at 8.30pm in 39 degrees. It's normal to him!!

Anyway I'll be out at 7 am tomorrow morning for my run in the pleasant mid 30s!

• Options
    Well its not your imagination @Sandy the Womble - the same running workout feels harder on a hot day than on a cool one. I myself moved to Granada in Spain to adapt running in the blistering heat, but also as its a beautiful city with an understated culture.

Also thanks for sharing that link @Ynnec - That Dew Point table might come in handy for my next races ;)
    Lee Grantham
    Instagram - @jungle.vip
    strava.com/athletes/9803888
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone - that's quite a comfort.

And yes - that link by Ynnec was indeed very interesting. Although my experience of an addition 6 minutes on a 10k does seem a little excessive!
  • Options
    WheelyneilWheelyneil ✭✭✭
    Talking of running in the heat, what to people find to be the best hydration plan before a 5K or 10K? Is it better to constantly sip in the hours leading up to a race, or take a sizeable drink 1/2 hour before the start, or whatever? I've tried the little & often in the hours before, but can't help feeling that by the time the race comes I will have peed most of it back out. On the other hand, I don't want to start a race with a belly full of liquid sloshing around inside me!
  • Options
    Do you need a hydration plan for a 5/10k ????
    a sip of water before the start if needed but that would be it 

• Options
    WheelyneilWheelyneil ✭✭✭
    > @"Dubai runner" said:
    > Do you need a hydration plan for a 5/10k ????

Well, I get pretty damn thirsty towards the end of a run, and thirst is a late marker for dehydration, so performance must suffer if you feel thirsty, surely?
  • Options
    I meant do you need a hydration plan for such a short distance?
  • Options
    WheelyneilWheelyneil ✭✭✭
    I understand why you question the need, but you wouldn't start a race thirsty would you, because that would obviously affect performance, so I think the question is valid regardless of distance. What I'm asking is what's the optimum way to maximise your body's available liquid so that you don't finish thirsty and lose performance due to dehydration.
  • Options
    In that case I don't know, never thought about it
  • Options
    JGavJGav ✭✭✭
    I always make sure I drink plenty the day before a race.  In the morning, if it's hot take a bottle and sip it in the hour before the race, could add electrolytes in if you get cramps or are a heavy sweater, it also helps you to absorb the water instead of peeing it out.
  • Options

Just make sure your pre race drink has some electrolyte in it, should be fine, you shouldn't really get too thirsty during a 5k/10k.

Also depends on your definition of thirsty..mine is getting up in the middle of the night after a Chinese takeaway the night before, desperate for water! I feel some people feel having a dry mouth is a big indicator of dehydration, which I don't think is right (Just going on my experience).

• Options
    It's completely normal for your times to decrease during heat, especially when the change in weather is so severe as it has been!

To maximise your performance, make sure you drink plenty beforehand (preferably electrolyte based, like a sports drink) and bring a water bottle with you. This should help your times a bit.
    www.runnersfirst.co.uk is a blog for runners. It aims to educate, inspire, motivate and help the running community. Check Runners First out now!
  • Options
    Not sure how accurate this is but could be a rough guide.. I nicked it off a Facebook post so I don't know the source. 

Image may contain text
  • Options
    Really above 29 use caution???? That's not so hot!
  • Options
    WheelyneilWheelyneil ✭✭✭
    I really hope that table is even remotely accurate because I can just about nudge 7:30 minute/mile pace at 25C. I've only been running since this summer, so nothing to compare to in winter. Working backwards I might be on for a sub 22 minute 5K :-)
  • Options
    GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Makes me feel better about missing out on a sub-50 min 10K by 30 secs the other day when it was 26C.
  • Options
    > @ahmed11 said:
    > It affects just not the time, but also my stamina.

Running in Nike Pegasus Turbo balances it out for me. Super light and extra responsive, making it easier to run. "They say" it can even cut your time or have you running faster, but it's more about the fit for me.

If you're keen, I'm looking for 100 runners to pre-trial and test the trainers with me, so if you're interested to see what it'd be like running with them in the heat, or whether a different shoe can help with your time, sign up!

Also posting to anyone interested. I figured a bunch of core-runners like yourselves would be keen. Go to https://itstestlab.eu/ to register.
    Lee Grantham
    Instagram - @jungle.vip
    strava.com/athletes/9803888