Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Poacher I'm please you got a ride in at least but you are really having some bad luck with that foot!

GD there is a nice video of KJ running the last couple of miles into Keswick- which I know well. What an amazing run, wish I'd gone over to see it!

I followed up my speedy parkrun with a track 5k at a club meeting on my own club track this afternoon, posting 17:37 a new PB by 3 secs. It's just as well I never ran 5k before parkrun came along- it gives me something to aim at in my old age :)

I'm doing the Sunderland 5K road race on Thursday so maybe I could get a similar time on the road?

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good mileage, SBD.

Great session, Stevie.

Congrats on a great weekends racing, oo and that wava. I'd love to run sub 18. 

Nice 13, birch. enjoy Devon. 

Gul, nice to nip in sub 18. yes the mlr can be tough to fit in but well worth while. 

My mate got a horse fly bite last weekend poacher. nasty little things!

I got up and out Saturday by 7.40. 15 miles by 9.40 at 8mm. by 9am it was bloody warm. glad I got out early. From a running perspective this must be the worst 4-5 months weather over ever experienced. 53 miles for the week so good start. 

I was due to be running the midweek series 10k at 7.30 Wednesday night but in view of the football there's no chance! I suspect the race will take a hammering. this will be a challenging week as I've a work function Thursday night us a likely hangover then Saturday I'm going away lunchtime over night so can't train Sunday and possibly Wednesday. I'll need yo be inventive to make this week work. I'm planning my mlr tomorrow and 20 Saturday. what happens in between is not clear just yet. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Birch - have a great holiday in Devon.
    OO - excellent parkrun and amazing WAVA.
    SBD - good long run in this heat.
    Poacher - sounds like some good cycling and walking; horsefly bites can be nasty. And no, it wasn't the real Jedward - they would have left me for dust I imagine.
    GD - bit of a come down on Sunday after a great Saturday.
    DT19 - good luck juggling your schedule.
    9 easy miles this morning, avg pace 8:03/m.
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Good runs from Leslie, GM, Stevie, Birch, SBD, GD, DT

Poacher – Ouch!

Gul – Great sub 19 Parkrun!

OO – That’s a fantastic Parkrun and even better 5k PB you managed. It’s no surprise to me that you did this off your highest weekly mileage for a long time.

Its 10 weeks to the Berlin Marathon so it’s time to start ramping up the training. I’ve a schedule made, loosely following a P&D plan and will be peaking with a few 100+ mile weeks. I find racing much easier than tackling some of the harder P&D runs, so have a few HMs, 10ks, 10 miler and a 5 miler all planned.

I’ll also be doing weekly weights, drills, hill sprints and eating healthy (apart from a few cheat days!).

I ran 18 miles on Saturday finishing with a 19:43 Parkrun, so it will interesting to see how this improves over the next few months.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

that's pretty much an mlr this morning, Gul.

Sounds like a busy mix, Badbark.

I have been pondering nutrition for a while. I have dealt with various other things within my control and this is probably the last area I am not 100%. My diet isn't bad by any means with plenty of fruit, veg, chicken, eggs etc. I do think though perhaps I drink too much. Not in general population terms but in terms of someone trying to do what we do. Will tweaking my diet further and reducing the booze lead to any noticeable difference?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I agree DT19, for me drinking is the main area to tighten up. Bloody hard though, especially during a hot summer and a world cup!

What's you Berlin target Badbark? By the way my 50 mileslast week was all pretty steady apart from the 2*5 Km races- I actually feel I had a mini rest last week which has helped.  

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    I think if your diet is ok then the odd drink here and there isn't a problem. We do this for fun and cutting out all the things we like may take the enjoyment out of training!

My opinion anyway, although it would be interesting to see some research. 

7m steady tonight, drop in temperature made it so much easier. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    7 miles here too and it was still 29DegsC in Surrey. Kept them all at 7.0x pace. Was hard work at times. Amazing how heat saps the energy. 

With heat, football, work and England cricket on Saturday, I need to be creative again this week to get the sessions done.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    OK, I'll talk to myself.  :p

Out the door at 05.25 this morning for 8 miles of fartlek malarky. Averaged 6.58 pace and felt I got quicker as the session went on so at the end kept going for a final mile effort of 6.38.

Good session. Got plans for an easy recovery run after work tonight to chalk up a rare double.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Good running G-Dawg, ive got a fartlek to do tonight as well. 5,4,3,2,3,4,5 mins with 2 mins recovery. Reps at HM- 10k pace and recoveries at MP!

Seems cooler today so that will help!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I’ve got a tasty 5k in Sunderland this Thursday GDawg, going for my 3rd sub 18 in a row which would be a first. Any thoughts on sessions this week? I’m thinking slow and steady...
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I agree, OO. Save those fast twitch fibres for the quick event. Smash it!!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

good running g-dawg.

Stevie, I didn't notice a drop in temp last night. Yes I guess you're right. None of us are going to the Olympics.

OO- Good luck Thursday. I would maybe throw in a few strides.

Droitwich 10k is still happening Wednesday though they are begging for marshals. It's a shame they can't just put it back a week.

Managed a spin class over lunch yesterday then an 11 mile mlr last night at 7.59 pace. There was some cloud cover for first 3 miles and it felt ok, albeit humid. Then the sun came out and I roasted. Much cooler today, however my plan is an interval session on the treadmill as opposed an outdoor tempo which is bad planning by me!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Badbark - good way to do a fast finish long run.
    DT19  - I don't drink much alcohol, but loads of caffeine until recently. Now sticking to mostly cold water and the occasional herbal tea (yuck, still can't get used to them) at work and similar at home. Not sure if it's made any difference other than I seem to be very sleepy at work in the afternoon!
    OO - congrats on your 5k PB - sorry, I missed it somehow yesterday. You are on a roll - good luck on Thursday.
    Stevie - hope the fartlek goes well. Temperature has dropped here, but very humid.
    GD - great running in spite of the heat.
    10 miles this morning (still not quite an MLR), including 22x400m tempo efforts with 200m recoveries. Average pace for the middle 8 miles was 6:37/m.
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

DT - Maybe it was just the cloud cover that made it feel cooler or I'm getting used to it! I considered tomorrows 10k but not now England are playing! Do you know of any midweek races in August? I'm pretty much busy every Sunday so struggling to get racing in

Good luck with the PB attempt OO!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

yes, there's a 5 miler in Coventry at the war memorial park on Wednesday 15th August, massey ferguson corporate 5. Always a good standard. I m sure I also saw that there was one there on bank holiday Monday but cant find anything on-line now. 

Wednesday 01 aug is the Worcestershire midweek series race 4 in Halesowen/hagley, its just over 8k and pavement and some trail.

I think on 08th August is the Brat rowheath 5k race.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That’s great pace Gul.
    Cool here too Stevie. Only races I know are full already.
    I tried some pacey strides DT19 but my HR is still high today so eased back and cut back home for 6.5.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I don't drink the day or two before a race, but otherwise it's the classic drinking in moderation (e.g. a glass of wine with dinner, or split a bottle of beer with my other half, etc.  Sometimes I go crazy and have a whole pint in the pub).

Light week last week as work was crazy and then away for a family do over the weekend, but hopefully back to it this week. 8 miles last night.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You absolute rebel Joolska!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Oooh, drinking strategies! B):p
    No drink a week before an A-race and most likely cutting back before then too. Regular races, I have a night or two off immediately before. I like the taste of lager, so usually store a load of Carlsberg in the garage. It's only 3.8% and doesn't get me hammered. I like to get my LSRs done on Saturdays so I can indulge properly on a Saturday night, especially in the summer with the BBQ going. Never drink on a Monday or Tuesday but may have a tiny treat Wednesday onwards, depending on training/work/socials.

As stated above, we're not training to be in the Olympics!!  :D
    #AfferLeets
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

G-Dawg we have very similar drinking strategies! I try to stay off the drink Mon-Weds and not go to mad on a Friday when I'm running in the morning. Tend to have a beer or two even before a race though, not sure how much difference not having one would make.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Strategies don't always work. I think I necked half a bottle of wine the night before my mara PB.  And the night before the HM PB, went to bed 0345 and got up 0515.  Probably getting too old for that sort of cavalier behaviour now.

Berlin can be pretty hot in September so not a bad to be training right now.  I realised today that race day is about 10 weeks away, but I haven't run a step since June 3.  Not good.  Made up for it slightly by knocking out 61 on the bike today, with a few faster bits (whatever the bike equivalent of strides are called); feeling a bit fitter as a result.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    I subscribe to the "drink to thirst" approach - and more often than not I find I'm thirsty ...
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    OO I will put some £££ behind the bar at The Ship (Low Newton), The Jolly Fisherman (Craster) and The Fishing Boat Inn (Boulmer) so if you have a few pints in each I might beat you in the Coastal Run for the first time in, well, years.  You know you want to...
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thought it was high time I popped by to say hi! 

Gul - With your early starts and mileage it's no surprise to me that you feel sleepy in the afternoons. I love my coffee and can't go without that. I usually have about 4-5 cups of freshly ground coffee a day. Not a fan of the herbal tea myself. Can't beat a good cuppa. Excellent sesh today! 

OO - You've really shown some outstanding form this summer on the track and parkrun too. Hope you can crack sub 18 for your 3rd one too. 

Poacher - Rotten luck with the horsefly bite. Nasty things them! 

SBD - NYC is an epic race. One of my best pals ran her pb on that course a few years ago (she ran 3:06), she's done all 6 majors and had a pb streak for about 2 years. Interesting how she managed to do it on that course out of all of them. I'll have to ask her about it. 

Jools - Lol! 

Badbark - Very nice parkrun after those miles. 

G-Dawg - You're knocking on Gul's door with those early starts. Fair play! Good pace too. 

Birch - I hope you have a lovely break in Devon. Never been but want to visit one day. 

DT - What is the temp like in the spin class during this hot period? 

Stevie - How did that sesh go? 

Re the drinking around running or running around drinking!?To quote a fellow patriot "Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess"!?

In all seriousness, I don't tend to go out much and get sloshed but I do partake in a few Pale Ales and love wine but don't go too mad when I have a race. Would usually have zero 1-2 days before a big race. I did give up completely when I was training for my first marathon London 2013, lasted about 6 weeks and I have to say I ran like a bag of Sh1t during that time! I enjoy relaxing with a few vinos after a busy week in work and have the odd one here and there during the week too with nice food. I'm not good enough at this running thing to take it that far and besides, you gotta live too. Some of my mates who are capable runners, go cold turkey completely during a full campaign. Not for me. I like to enjoy life too much. :smile:

Running wise I've not felt great for the last few weeks. I seem to be struggling to move at a reasonable clip. I sacked off my planned long run on Sunday am as I was too exhausted after my son's birthday weekend celebrations and settled for a very hot coastal cliff path run in the mid afternoon heat. Only did 7 miles but it was 30c, and some walkers looked like they were dying out there as I skedaddled past them with very little clothing on! One said to me "It's a bit hot for running today"! I responded saying I'm grand thanks, it'll be Christmas soon! Had a lovely dip in the sea afterwards. Some photos of the run below. Glorious day in stunning surroundings. 

• StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭

Gerard - Great pics as usual! I'm starting to think a trip to Jersey needs to be planned! Fartlek Session went well despite it being hot and sunny again! Reps came out between 6.44 and 6.25 pace which is pretty much bang on HM to 10k pace and I managed to stick to around 7.30 for the recoveries. 9.4 miles in total so a good session!

Rest day today so will enjoy the football then 5 miles tomorrow with some strength and core work

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Poacher - what's the latest on your foot? Any chance of running within the next few weeks?
    GM - you ought to work for Jersey Tourist Board! Nice run.
    Stevie - good fartlek session.
    9 easy miles this morning, avg pace 8:13/m.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That looks glorious- Gerard. The spin studio is oppressively air conditioned. Its like walking into the fridge section at a supermarket. Its a welcome release from the heat.

Well done on the session, Stevie. I found that by late afternoon the coolness from earlier in the day had worn away and it was back to being warm.

Drinking wise, I don't think it makes a great deal of difference what you do in the days building up to a race in that a moderate amount of the stuff 2-3 days before wont change much. Just like trying to smash some big sessions in the last 2 weeks wont help you. I wouldn't drink the night before though.

I'm talking about a more consistent approach, just like with running, to make a difference. I tend to have a few drinks on a sunday and Wednesday night and usually a few on a Friday or Saturday. I'm questioning whether over a prolonged period, dropping some mid week drinks would do anything for me.

Last night I hit the treadmill for intervals with a 1200 (4.14), 1000 (3.29), 800 (2.46), 600 (2.02) and 400 (1.21) off circa 2 minutes. Felt hard but not maximal so wonder if I can squeeze a bit further on those efforts.

Today I will get a 5 ish mile recovery in over lunch as i'm off out at 6 for beers and would rather my rest day be tomorrow!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cracking photos, GM. You're very lucky to be able to dip into the sea after such hot runs.

Some very like-minded folk on here regarding the drinking/running combo. All filters down to moderation and sensible with the occasional big night. I feel better now! 

Went for 4 recovery miles last night to complete a rare double day. Before I went out, I decided to do a bit of DIY and remove the old nails in the wall that held the skirting board on I ripped out over the weekend (wooden floor and new skirting being fitted this week). This involved a crowbar and big hammer. One of the stubborn nails caused the crowbar to slip off and whack me just above the knee. Bloomin' hurt and came up in a lump.

Likening it to a football type knock, I decided to run it off. Did the 4 recovery miles and it didn't complain too much. Averaged 7.19 pace which is probably a bit quick for recovery but felt dead comfy and the HR stats back that up. 12 for the day.

Iced the knee all night and ditched all running today as it's still a bit sore and lumpy. getting better though.

Can't concentrate today. Proper nervous about the game tonight. I hope upon hope England win but whatever happens, I'm almost glad it's over soon as the tension is unbearable!
    #ItsComingHome 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Holy smoke, some of you guys are practically alcoholics! :D I feel a lot less guilty about my drinking almost every Saturday night now.

We all know that drinking heavy isn’t good for us. It dehydrates, slows down recovery and can add extra body fat. It does a lot more damage that a quick google search would reveal. No coach will recommend drinking to excess during a training campaign.

However, its fantastic fun and I for one need it! So we all need to weigh up how important PB chasing is compared to enjoying our lives. This is also true for how many miles we run a week and our diets.

Personally I don’t drink within a fortnight of PB marathon attempt. I also try only to drink once a fortnight during the peak training month too. I only usually drink on Saturday nights due to running my long run on Saturday mornings, so want to be fresh and don't drink on Fridays. I never drink before a work day.

Good luck England!