Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

I prefer that pic to some of the others PMJ. Pleased to see you back out running too.

Nice attitude to that incident Simon. I expect it really hurts to go down at that kind of pace too. Hope that there's no day-after effects emerge.

Pete - that was a great job, do you work in PR? I think I'm up for it now, actually!

Bus, having read the retching stories over the years it seems to me like you have a real ability to push yourself although I realise that running for a whole day requires a whole different skill set. I have a bit of an insight in to the ultra / offroad world through my uncle (Mike Hartley). If you google Mike Hartley Pennine Way you'll find him and realise why any of my own running efforts are smiled upon but not really celebrated in our family. He has so many amazing stories but only one Po10 entry. It's not a bad one though!

https://thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=39557

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I think he's worried about touching her penis.
  • LOL @ Reg

Love that PO10 entry Wool! Yes got grazes on both knees and one elbow. Actually quite annoying astroturf like ones that just annoy rather than painful. It leaves me wistfully looking at the V45 rankings for 3000 and thinking what might have been..with a Mutley style mutter in the background ;)

• Nice pic PMJ - looks v posh, where was that then?
    It was a dinner at the Shard organised by Dell about 5 years ago. I used to buy the odd computer or thousand from Dell and they sponsored 4 athlete ambassadors for the commonwealth games and my sales rep knew I was runner so invited me along. Had a fair few jollies that way, Dell were always good about such, but now we have been bought by the Germans b̶r̶i̶b̶e̶s̶ gifts cannot be offered nor accepted. Kill joys!

Saw the physio last week and he cracked my back and told me to run and I have run 6 days out of the last 6. Still well off 100% but at least it is running and somewhere between the sharp pain over the first few miles as I warm up and the numb pain creeping back in when I have gone too far there is a brief spell in the middle when it is OKish.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    The "crack" and "run through it" approach means I don't even have to ask which physio that is ;)
    Any other sort of stretches given?
  • Stevie G said:
    The "crack" and "run through it" approach means I don't even have to ask which physio that is ;)
    Any other sort of stretches given?
    Nope. Yes, you guess is right but as far as I am concerned he the one physio I can go to and he sorts me out more often than not. My lower back is definitely an issue and it gets tight and that makes my ITB tight and that impacts my legs, so no point in doing much on the legs etc as they are just the symptoms and not the cause. On the other hand, when I have had plantar fasciitis he has cracked my back to no avail at all ... 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear you are back Philip - back with another one of those back-crackin' beats :smile:

Mike Hartley is a legend Wool - most impressed he is your uncle! You must have good genes then :smile:

• WoolWool ✭✭✭

Bus - he married my Dad's sister so I 'benefit' only from his training advice which consists mainly of run 120 MPW (more if possible) as fast as you can. Hmm....

Anyway, sea kayaking is what the near 70 year old extremist does these days apparently. It lets you get to otherwise inaccessible sheer cliff faces that you can free climb without anyone worrying about your safety. Hmm....

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Lol! Quality structured training then - clearly worked for him!  And sea-kayaking combined with free-climbing sounds like a fantastically safe why to become a septuagenarian :smile:
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Reg, just because you think L.S  looks like a tranny, it doesn't actually make her one. 

And now that PMJ has conducted a feasibility study and risk assessment on the lass, I'm prepared to conclude that she's worth field testing.

I've no idea what gets you going in the sack, but I'm getting the idea it isn't along the lines of the rest of us.

Maybe this is your thing.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I actually don't like that bike. I prefer my own Cervelo, not quite as much as you suggest but I do enjoy riding her quite hard.

I enjoyed the Chemical Brothers joke, Bus.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Thanks Reg, thought it had slipped by.....
    My, that is an ugly beast. And, yes I am talking about the TT bike. Why would someone spend huge wads of money on something so ugly that is also uncomfortable to ride?

Personally Im more likely to drool over a simple Whyte road bike.....
  • RicF said:
    And now that PMJ has conducted a feasibility study and risk assessment on the lass, I'm prepared to conclude that she's worth field testing.
    All my tests were purely mental: the girl is the age of my kids. We actually had a very nice evening and we chatted about her dad (who was more of a sprinter, I remember him from the late 70's and early 80's) and I was in training for a marathon and had done a 20-mile run that morning so I think she took me somewhat seriously. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    You're doing pretty well to be chatting any sort of sense after a 20miler. That's a pretty wipe out distance in fairness.

Datchet 5k tonight, but I've done enough 5ks for a while, so one clashing with a World cup semi final was always an ask.

Therefore, this morning was 6x800 off 2min, 2x400 off 60sec, 2x200 off 30secs.  (progression from the 8x600 version 3 sessions back)

5k zone, so 1.18 would be a nice lap pace for the 800s.

Pretty decent, despite a strong wind on one straight each lap. Trev turned up and was doing some 200s from about my 4th one. I blame him for being in my lane on the 2.37 ;)

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I have been looking at the Whyte bikes, Bus. With a longer commute now I was looking for something a bit faster than my current commuter that would also double as my winter training bike. I was interested by the one by set up as I hate any kind of maintenance.
  • DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭
    some good sessions going on...great stuff  particular kudos to Simon for the speedy 3000 after getting off the floor.   

Ric , i feel you are missing the complete point regards LS and reg comments.  You posted what you consider a phwoooor! photo of her on the beach and he (and others) basically commented you posted the worlds worst photo of her.  she looked a state in that beach photo compared to how good she normally looks.  though if that is what revs your engine , no problem...its a broad church :smile: .

i had a killer session last week...im convinced the session was wrong pace but battled through as best i could. left me on my knees.   (600, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100) *2   at 800 pace or quicker.  recovery was 4mins, 3,2,90s,60s, and 6 between the sets.   add into that the heat and the wind it was brutal.  out of the 4 of us only 1 completed it fully.  i finished but the 2nd 600 i pulled up at 400,  a 8.25 3000 lad pulled out after the 2nd 600, a sub 2 800 didnt even attempt the 2nd set.   we were all swimming in lactic.  though the 100s were 13 secs.  i can still sprint at the end which bodes well.  we all thought it should have been 1500 pace not 800 as the volume was 4200m.  but coach disagrees and who am i to question :)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Dean, I think that take on Ric's pic is the closest view we've shared in years on this thread! Both even using the "Phwoor" word, but spelling it differently. :)

That session looks insane, even to a slower runner / nonfancy coach's eye. 

By the end of my little training spell there's a 5x400 at 800 pace which I find shattering, and that's only 2k's quantity. Double that and getting near the right pace is surely not possible. After all, your 800 pace is that pace for a reason. if you can do 5xthat, even with long breaks, surely the 800 would be faster?!
  • Clicker training Persistently quickly take after a tick with a treat. Notwithstanding whether you clicked unexpectedly. Notwithstanding whether you clicked a direct you would really rather not strengthen. Remember, the snap in itself has no effect to your canine – she could ponder it. She makes sense of how to center around it since it reliably predicts sustenance. I illuminated what makes the essential Clicker training such a powerful getting ready gadget. Today, a couple of clues for using the clicker most effectively as you work with your own specific canine. The clicker has one occupation: to tell your canine exactly what direct is picking up treats right now.
  • okay dokaaaaay...;)

Dean - That looks mental! Very sprintey, I'm looking to trying to ramp the short stuff up after the MK 5000M in August, still just doing my 30 x 30 secs every week..which I think helps a bit!

Pretty busy on the canal again this morning - good letter in the standard last night (that I stuck on facebook) about possibly banning cyclists from the towpaths. I would be happy with that - although I do recognise that most of them are OK, its just the sheer number of walkers, runners and cyclists on them at the moment..if one has to go, it will be the cyclists.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Dean, SG, you've both guessed wrong I'm afraid. 

The pic has nothing to do with anything apart from it's as far away as I could get with a photo I found on Google, of L. Sharp compared to C. Semenya.

I just couldn't imagine C.S posing in the same manner. It was a basic game of, 'spot the difference'?

However, it seems the idea didn't seem to work at all. 

Whoever I think of as phwoor! is irrelevant. I'm not involved.

🙂

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    And on the subject of training: 62 miles last week.
     7 yesterday since I felt a bit tired, and 13 miles today because I wasn't.
    No niggles that I'm aware of.

Quite a departure from the winter and most of last year, plagued by knee and hamstring issues.

🙂

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Bloody hard session that Dean - surprised you are actually still alive! Very nice, and slightly less killer, session SG!

Simon - agree. If you are going to mix large numbers of cyclists and peds/runners, they must all be going slow and preferably be in a town square n Holland!

Good miles going on Ric. Any races planned?

Double for me today. Much cooler, but the bastard hip CAM thing was really giving me gyp tonight for some reason.

Oh, and quite possibly that as007 post is the one that has made the most sense ever on this entire thread :smiley:

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Maybe a leg of the Round Norfolk Relay, Bus. I'll have to let the club know I'm able to run at the moment first.

There was a chance I'd do the Harrow HM, but the course had been changed from a basic loop; which could have been flat, and designed for runners, into an up and down sightseeing tour, full of switch backs, twists and turns, designed for spectators looking to enhance their social media status.

A priority has been given to a group of people here. And it sure isn't aimed at any runner with ambitions.

🙂

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Are there any cognitive side effects from taking magnesium?
  • Simon Coombes 2Simon Coombes 2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Bit laxative apparently Reg in a few cases - still considering giving it a go though. Still think we all ought to, and see how many it helps..
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Not sure, but too much leads to diarrhea.

But that could include the possibility of diarrhea of a verbal nature. I'll Google it :*

Seriously (but only to a point) the test of enough magnesium is taking enough for the guts to let go, and then reducing the amount until you end up trying to shit a brick sideways. 
    The optimum is mid way of those scenarios. 

Still getting used to being able to run as I like. Having to compromise for years is a bit wearing.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg, we'd just got the convo off Magnesium!!
  • So no Magnesium or Football :)

I also see Mr Speilmann, a useful V45 guy now runs for Marlow, isn't that where one of us lot is? He did 33.11 Tuesday night at the MK 10k, pretty good. Very selective with his races though, going by PO10..

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Double double day, yesterday. Cycle to work, which is now 13 miles then Lunch time 10k. 2 miles at HMP and 4 miles also at HMP but my triathlon HMP, so around 1:22-1:25 pace. 10k came out at 39mins.

Then cycled from work, leaving at 5:25 and got home (12 miles), showered changed, to the station on the train into Reading and into the pub by 6:30!

Several beers and a Korean meal later....Back to station, just missed the 11:14 train so rather than waiting an hour for the next one, ran home. 6 miles @ "don't try and vomit the Korean food/lager mix" pace.

Can't really remember what happened in the game....