Berlin Marathon 2018

Hi all,

Couldn't find any thread on this, did anyone make it through the ballot?

I'm in for 2018 and wondering if anyone has any advice or tip on things like places to stay, getting to the startline etc.

This will be my fifth marathon having run Stockholm last year, the reviews i've read seem mixed but hopefully it can match up to last year!

Comments

• I'm in. Missed out last year, so really excited. This will be my 4th Berlin Marathon and have loved every one (sort of!!)

I've never had any problems with the race - organisation etc. has all been first class. I have also read some not so good reviews, but we all have our own experiences.

The underground in Berlin is really good, wherever you stay, you shouldn't be more than 1/2 hr away from the one of the stations near the start (Hauptbahnhof/Brandenburg Gate/Potsdamer Platz/Friedrichstr/Bundestag).

Check the UBahn website (www.bvg.de/en) for a map and a journey planner.
  • Hi, i have managed to also get a great place through the ballot. Its my 1st Berlin marathon and 1st marathon ever. I love Berlin having visited a few times but I have a question.

The Great North Run Half Marathon is a week before the Berlin Marathon. I've ran the GNR 5 times and I'm wondering if I can run the GNR and a week later run a good marathon, as I know that I should really be in my taper in preparation.

What do you think?

Ricky.
  • I'm in also. It's a great race. Ran it in 2013. Richard, I ran GNR in 2013 2 weeks before Berln. That was ok and did a pb at both .... back in the days when I felt indestructible. But I wouldn't recommend doing a half the week before unless you plan to jog it. I'm skipping the Autumn half this year as i cant find one that fits in with my plans. 

Just got an email confirmation that my GFA application for New York is succesful. Berlin will be the goal race. It's  a fast course. It's packed and a bit chaotic so you have to be patient. NY will be for fun 
  • 1992km1992km ✭✭✭
    Hi Richard
    I did the Berlin marathon last year, a week after running a local half marathon that I couldn't turn down.
    I went out purposefully slowly for the first 2/3rds of that half. Overall, it was basically the marathon pace I ran a week later.

I did pretty much the same before my other, my first, marathon in Paris earlier in the year. I ran over 20k the sunday before.

Even though the text books told me not to:
    • I wanted to run that distance to give me more and confidence that I could do it. 
    • I actively chose to enjoy both the local half and berlin marathon, and the decision to go against the guide book helped take the/my pressure off me and put me in control of my training plan.
    • I don't think that I would've run much faster had I not done the half marathons the week before and I was happy how I ran both.

Rahul

• Hi All, I'm in for Berlin this year, running with Prostate Cancer UK. Also doing Paris for them next month and Cambridge Half next weekend as my warm-up. Bit worried about training in the summer months for Berlin, as only done Spring marathons (London x2) until now. Still, flights and hotels booked, so no going back!
  • I'm in too. This will be my 5th Berlin and I sort of prefer the Berlin to the London which I have ran 5 times with 1 ballot place, 1 competition win and 3 Red Starts. I am an elderly runner and have to tackle the marathon route in legs. My Berlin PB is 4:43:37 and my London PB is 4:48:55. As long as I can achieve a sub 5hr then I'm on track for a GFA for the London 2020 if only the rules aren't changed.
    Berlin accommodation? I have always stayed at the Ibis Berlin Hauptbahnhof Hotel. Its close enough to the Brandenburg Gate and the start line. It takes around 15 mins. Just follow some of the 40000 marathon runners that arrive at the Hauptbahnhof. Catch the train from Schoenberg Airport straight to the Berlin Hauptbahnhof and the hotel is just out side the back entrance. Prices are reasonable and beds are very comfortable.
    Oh, and the Expo is back at the Iconic Tempelhof Airport. So I'll take a small umleitung and drop off at the Expo to collect my bib and goody bag. Good luck and stay injury free.
  • Hi Guys, I'm running this year as well. This will be Berlin Marathon number 6 for me. Great city and great race. I'm also running the Great North Run 1 week before. 
  • Hi guys I’m in for Berlin 2018 but thru SportsTours, looking forward to this one, I’ve done Paris London and New York the past 2 years, knocking minutes off with each one. Then to my surprise I got in the ballot for NYM ? being honest I was going to decline having done it last year but it’s non refundable, so I got another shot at the title on that course,
    Still chasing the 6 major dream!
  • Hi all, I'm in for Berlin due to a deferred entry from last year, of sorts - injured all last year and still only getting back so I have fingers crossed I will make it, but about 50/50 currently.

I have run it in 2013, 2015, and 2016 and love it - great course and organisation, usually seems to have ideal weather conditions as well, or else I've just been lucky when I've been there!

Richard - I'm also in for GNR the week before - havn't run it before, but treating it as a long run in the taper myself, I have heard it is a busy enough half and tough to run fast in in any case so I'll jog it and keep my energy for Berlin, all being well!
  • ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    I'm doing Berlin and I am super excited cos it will be my 6th WMM and I'll get a stonking big 6-finisher star! 
  • Awesome Shazmo that’s my goal... after Berlin I will have 3 out of 6! Chicago next year and Tokyo after that... I would really like to get into Tokyo through the ballot so I could make a holiday out of it
    Boston that’s my worry! I will never run the time required to get in so I am solely reliant on a place with a Sports company or somebody taking pity on me and letting me do it to complete the 6 ?
  • Completing the six is such an incredible achievement! Which you recommend most Shazmo??

I'm still struggling with knee pain, fingers crossed it clears for Berlin but more than a little anxious about it currently.
  • I'm also doing Berlin (ballot place).  First time in Berlin for me but it will be my fourth road marathon.  Spring marathon to do first (Zurich).
  • SW16SW16 ✭✭✭
    1992km said:
    Hi Richard
    I did the Berlin marathon last year, a week after running a local half marathon that I couldn't turn down.
    I went out purposefully slowly for the first 2/3rds of that half. Overall, it was basically the marathon pace I ran a week later.

I did pretty much the same before my other, my first, marathon in Paris earlier in the year. I ran over 20k the sunday before.

Even though the text books told me not to:
    • I wanted to run that distance to give me more and confidence that I could do it. 
    • I actively chose to enjoy both the local half and berlin marathon, and the decision to go against the guide book helped take the/my pressure off me and put me in control of my training plan.
    • I don't think that I would've run much faster had I not done the half marathons the week before and I was happy how I ran both.

Rahul

All the books say not to...but in the 80's all the advice from experienced runners in my club said it was essential to run a half marathon or Ten miles and a Twenty mile race in the 6 weeks before the race.

Our club record holder, an over 40yr old with PB of 2hr 28mins, in the build up to London 1982, ran Wolverhampton Marathon as a training run, Milford 21 in Cannock and the Cambridge10. I did the Bath Half and Finchley 20 in March/April that year as a warm up too. I really don't remember feeling terribly tired when it came to Marathon day, by such warm-up races, and I did a big PB on the day.

I wonder why we've gone so far the other way these days in terms of rest before a marathon ?

• j0n3syj0n3sy ✭✭✭
    Missed out on the ballot two years in a row but last night invested in a charity place so Im going to Berlin! yay! My first marathon abroad so really excited. Flights and hotel booked. Just need to find my bearings now about getting to the expo for the chip etc. Is it easy to get about and well organised?
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this, last ran Berlin in 2011. I visited the old East Germany and was working in Berlin when Germany was unified, so the act of running down Under Den Linden and through the Brandenburg Gate into what was the west is very significant. Very flat course, potentially really fast if the weather gods play ball.   Hope everyone's training goes well.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    First-time Berlin runner here to.  Love history and Berlin has plenty of it.  All booked-up just the small matter of the Marathon du Mont Blanc first and then all systems go.  
  • ToomaiToomai ✭✭✭
    I’m in through some tour company. Can’t wait to do it, will be my first major, and my 8th marathon in total and 3rd of 2018. Never been to Germany so looking to do a bit of sightseeing on the Friday and Saturday before the race. 
  • Anybody started there training program yet
  • zthirskzthirsk ✭✭
    Does anyone know if you need to show a signed Doctor's note or similar? Or when they say you need a medical, is that more of a recommendation? If anyone can help that would be great!
  • zthirskzthirsk ✭✭
    <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/sterobbo">sterobbo</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Anybody started there training program yet</div>
    </blockquote>
    Not yet. Starting soon! I got a ballot place but only decided this morning to definitely go ahead and do it as I've had a knee issue. This will be my second marathon (did London in 2015) and I'm excited to get training. Good luck!
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    zthirsk:  I have just scanned the website (original in German) and haven't found anything about needing a Doctor's note (as you do for French maras it seems). 

To collect chip and start number (personally) you need the Startpass confirmation mail (will be sent out in September) and photo ID.   

Where did you read the bit about the medical? (can skim through that..)
  • zthirskzthirsk ✭✭
    HazelnutCH: Thank you!

In my ballot place confirmation email sent back in December there was a list of next steps, one of which states: "No training and no competition without health check up! Please make an appointment with the doctor of your choice to undergo a sports medical examination."

But then I haven't seen any mention of it elsewhere. It's not that I can't just do it anyway, but my GP is a nightmare to get an appointment!
  • > @zthirsk said:
    > sterobbo said:

> Anybody started there training program yet

>

> Not yet. Starting soon! I got a ballot place but only decided this morning to definitely go ahead and do it as I've had a knee issue. This will be my second marathon (did London in 2015) and I'm excited to get training. Good luck!

> @zthirsk said:
    > sterobbo said:

> Anybody started there training program yet

>

> Not yet. Starting soon! I got a ballot place but only decided this morning to definitely go ahead and do it as I've had a knee issue. This will be my second marathon (did London in 2015) and I'm excited to get training. Good luck!

I started a 14 week program last week, it’s strange when you start you always feel as though you are playing catch up ?
    Legs feel okay though just feeling a bit top heavy (after doing London and NYC last year I struggled for motivation to run in winter) after doin Insanity for 8 weeks, that will soon go with good diet and the long runs to come, excited for this one!
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your training sterobbo.  12 week P&D up to 55 miles starts this week for me. (With a rest day yesterday :p)

Not looking forward to training in the heat much but will have to put up with it.
  • Going to be my first marathon ever and since I was born in Berlin I'm particularly excited for it. Any tips/advice/things you would have liked to know for a first time runner?
  • Tim SyngeTim Synge ✭✭✭
    Travel advice:

As soon as you get to Berlin, download the BVG "Fahrinfo" app. It gives live information on buses, underground trains ("U-Bahn") and suburban trains ("S-Bahn") using GPS to work out where you are and live timetable feeds to tell you all the options for getting from A to B.  Utterly brilliant.

Saturday advice:

If you are fortunate enough to be able to travel on the Friday (or earlier) and get registration out of the way, here are some Saturday options:

1. The Breakfast run is a big joyous relatively slow run of about three miles through the streets finishing with a lap of the track in the Olympic Stadium and a free breakfast.  Loads of international runners including many Brits. 

2. Parkrun. I think there is one in Berlin, but unless you really really want to do a parkrun in Berlin, go for option 1 instead.

3. Boat trip on the Spree. Great way to see the city.

4. Watch the inline skating marathon, which is on almost the same course as the run but on the Saturday afternoon.  I had never seen inline skating before and it is well worth half an hour on the roadside being buffeted by the slipstream of a dozen skaters holding onto each others waists (yes, really!).

5. Watch Union Berlin, the 2. Bundesliga side, playing at home. The fixture list has just been released. There is a possibility that they may play on the Sunday (TV scheduling), but if they have a Saturday afternoon fixture, go and watch this before visiting your local Italian restaurant in the evening. Union Berlin is in the old East Berlin and is a real grassroots supporter-led club. The match atmosphere is great.

Other advice:

Make sure you print out your Startpass email before you go to the Expo.

See you all there!
  • Tim SyngeTim Synge ✭✭✭
    Tim Synge said:

5. Watch Union Berlin, the 2. Bundesliga side, playing at home. The fixture list has just been released. There is a possibility that they may play on the Sunday (TV scheduling), but if they have a Saturday afternoon fixture, go and watch this before visiting your local Italian restaurant in the evening. Union Berlin is in the old East Berlin and is a real grassroots supporter-led club. The match atmosphere is great.

Match now confirmed as 6:30pm on the Friday evening.
  • If you are fortunate enough to be able to travel on the Friday (or earlier) and get registration out of the way
  • Hello, this is my first Berlin marathon. Does anyone know if there is a possibility to get my supply (isodrink, gels,...) somewhere on the parcour? My brother joins me and he wants to give me my supps
    Thank you!